Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will a Florida boycott hurt WDW attendance?

Will a Florida boycott hurt WDW attendance?

I saw on MSNBC last night that various civil rights leaders including MLK III are advocating a boycott of Florida tourism and/or orange juice until the state repeals its Stand Your Ground law. I recall the Southern Baptist Convention's boycott of all things Disney over their "gay friendly" policies years ago. I don't recall, though, whether it had much impact of Disney's bottom line. Do you think this boycott could hurt WDW's attendance due to the huge amounts of people who feel Trayvon Martin didn't receive justice? Any thoughts would be most welcome. Will the boycott have any effect on your Disney/Florida vacation plans or purchase of Florida products?

John

2. # ADS

Visiting WDW Since 1982

well if I were to boycott - and I do mean IF - I would just take the bus directly to WDW, spend all my time there, then take the bus back to the airport and fly home. No spending another week off-site, no car rental, no visiting other places like I normally do.

Stan

I don't see the boycott having an effect so much as the damage to Florida's reputation. WDW won't see a negative effect as it's seen as a "safe" place. I can see this putting a dent in off-site hotels and tourist locations as those locations may be viewed as "dangerous."

It won't/wouldn't effect any plans we may have. I really don't see it making much of an impact if any.

No. When are they going to repeal the I got away with murdering my child law? Oh wait......that happened in FL too? Where was that outrage?

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    No. When are they going to repeal the I got away with murdering my child law? Oh wait......that happened in FL too? Where was that outrage?
    Exactly.

I am leaving to Florida in two weeks. So, it isn't going to effect my plans to go to Florida at all.

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I saw on MSNBC last night that various civil rights leaders including MLK III are advocating a boycott of Florida tourism and/or orange juice until the state repeals its Stand Your Ground law. I recall the Southern Baptist Convention's boycott of all things Disney over their "gay friendly" policies years ago. I don't recall, though, whether it had much impact of Disney's bottom line. Do you think this boycott could hurt WDW's attendance due to the huge amounts of people who feel Trayvon Martin didn't receive justice? Any thoughts would be most welcome. Will the boycott have any effect on your Disney/Florida vacation plans or purchase of Florida products?
    What an absurd thing to do. Anybody that dumb is not really wanted in the parks when I am there anyway, so it may be a very good time to go! Fewer people randomly stopping in the middle of walkways, etc...
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I find it interesting that the defense in the Trayvon Martin case did not use the stand your ground law, yet that law is the reason given for advocating a boycott.
    Tony S.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

url=http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/][/url]

Good question! I know I was outraged over that.
    Tony S.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethemouse View Post
    I find it interesting that the defense in the Trayvon Martin case did not use the stand your ground law, yet that law is the reason given for advocating a boycott.
    One of the 'experts' over the weekend I heard implied that it was part of the standard jury instructions for one of the charges they were considering, so the jury did 'hear' about it. Plus, the prosecution had to prove that he was doing more than standing his ground, the defense didn't have to prove that that was 'all' he was doing.

Personally, I don't see this one having much impact. A similar boycott of Arizona when they wouldn't make MLK day a state holiday was probably only effective because the NFL wouldn't give them the Superbowl until they changed it (I think that was the deal, it was a few years back).
    Cathy

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    I recall the Southern Baptist Convention's boycott of all things Disney over their "gay friendly" policies years ago. I don't recall, though, whether it had much impact of Disney's bottom line.
    Nope, it didn't. And I don't think any kind of attempted boycott would affect WDW either.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

The very idea of an attempted boycott of a whole state due to their legal protection of a basic human right is ridiculous, and underscores how really insipid these people are. And I agree, no net effect on WDW at all. Most people go there and there alone. ALthough I would like to go back to Sea World again and I always like going to KSC.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Outrage only happens when race is involved.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont think a state-wide boycott is going to hurt FL tourism at all.

Not making "a statement" or anything like that, but in a few weeks, there will most likely be something else in the news that will consume the headlines.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by pixar View Post
    Outrage only happens when race is involved.
    Anyone who paid attention to the whole thing knows that this was not racially motivated. It was an incredibly unfortunate incident. Both George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin could have done things very differently. Unfortunately this young man died due to their combined lapses in judgement, but not because of his race. There is plenty to be outraged about here, but this incident should not have sparked racial outrage.

Unfortuntately the race baiters in this country speak very loudly whenever there is a perceived injustice, and they clearly don't want to confuse their message with facts. That was very clear in this case, after all, they manufactured the new term "White Hispanic" to describe George Zimmerman.

I was never able to understand why these same people are not outraged over the fact that 92% of all murdered young black men are murdered by other young black men. Then I saw this quote:

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.” -
    Booker T. Washington in 1904.

It's really sad, and this will probably be deleted by the moderators for being too political.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic:
    I don't think it's going to impact WDW at all.
    Tony S.

Stevie Wonder was quoted as saying that he won't be playing in Florida until they change this law. A short time later a CNN commentator stated that I guess Stevie Wonder won't be playing in Florida ever again. . .

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I don't see that it would hurt anything. I'm leaving for WDW in October, and have no plans of changing the itinerary. I don't think most people realize 21 other states also have some version of the stand your ground law in place.

I do agree that the outcome of the case was the expected result, but the thing is, the prosecution had to be able to prove it beyond any reasonable doubt, so I don't see it on the fault of the entire state, but I think it lies with the prosecutors involved in the case.

Either way, the case is done and it's time to move on.

WDW here I come.

WDW - 10/06 POR, 10/07 BCR, 12/08 POR, 9/09 BWR, 12/10 YCR, 12/11 BWR, 12/12 BWR, 10/13 BWR
    DCL - 9/09 Eastern (Magic), 11/10 Western (Magic), 11/11 Bahamas (Dream), 8/12 Nowhere (Magic), 12/12 Eastern (Fantasy), 5/13 Caribbean (Wonder), 9/14 Southern (Magic), 2/16 Western (Wonder), 10/17 Canadian Coast (Magic)

Mwa ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Stevie Wonder was quoted as saying that he won't be playing in Florida until they change this law. A short time later a CNN commentator stated that I guess Stevie Wonder won't be playing in Florida ever again. . .
    I can't take credit but a response was made by a celebrity to that comment:
    They'll just Stevie he's in Michigan.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Moderators Note:

I know that the case itself can be pretty controversial and such a discussion would normally belong in the lounge.
    In short, if you keep the conversation focused on WDW and the proposed FL boycott itself, this thread wont have to be moved.

If you would like to discuss the outcome of the court case, the FL laws that are being contested, or the like, please feel free to start a new conversation in the lounge.

Your cooperation and understanding is appreciated.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Will a Florida boycott hurt WDW attendance?
    Probably not.

Although the same can't be said of Disneyland.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

It won't hurt WDW or Florida at all and I doubt it will have any effect on DL either. This moron is supposed to be a comedian? He can't even speak English reasonably well. Trying to bring race into a place where it is irrelevant is racist. And saying a law which simply formalizes a natural-born right to self defense is detrimental to young blacks is racist.

Dick Gregory has called for a boycott of Disneyland as well as WDW.

John

Dick Gregory has called for a boycott of Disneyland as well as WDW.
    What's his rationale for that?
    Tony S.

Tony, click on the link in post # 21 for Gregory's reasons.

John