Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Auntie's Solo trip to WDW 10/26 - 10/30/13

Unhappy Auntie's Solo trip to WDW 10/26 - 10/30/13

Travel dates: October 26th - 30th, 2013
    Travel method: Delta Airlines, Disney's Magical Express and Resort Transportation
    Resort: Port Orleans French Quarter
    Accommodations: Standard Room, Disney Dining Plan 4 Day Park Hopper Pass
    Ages Represented in Group: 47
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: Veteran (approx 15 trips)
    Comments: Going to the World solo for the first time
    Cast of characters: Cathy (known by family as Auntie)

Hello all,

This is my first trip report and my first solo trip to Disney World.

My plans so far are as follows:

7:30A flight out of Boston's Logan Airport
    10:46 landing in Orlando

Saturday 10/26/13
    EPCOT
    Dinner at Via Napoli @ 5:45pm (first time)

Sunday 10/27/13
    HS & MK
    Lunch at Sci-fi @ 11:45 (first time)
    Dinner at Tony's Town Sq. @ 7:50 (first time)
    Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Monday 10/28
    No Park planned as yet.
    Dinner at Raglan Road @ 6P (been several times and love it here)

Tuesday 10/29
    No Park Planned as yet.
    Hoop Dee Do Revue @6.15 (will be my 5th time as I have always enjoyed this show)

Wednesday 10/30
    Return Home flight at 11:10

I will update with any changes (though I don't think there will be any)

I will try very hard to keep track of what I did, when I did it, what I ate, how much it cost, what I bought and how much it cost.

2. # ADS

Have fun

I haven't ever done a solo trip to WDW, I think I would like to sometime....
    Looking forward to the report, have a great time!

solo trip reports can be very fun . enjoy

also food & wine will be going strong @ epcot

Disney Vaction Club Member kevin20999's Avatar
    Solo Trips!!! Wow, where can I start? I took my first solo trip in 2002. My wife could not go with me even it was for a long weekend. BUT, I did sooooo many things by myself that it was unbelievable. I mainly went to see Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, the International Food And Wine Festival and Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights (would not recommend it to kids under 10). What I, also, enjoy are the Character Breakfasts because your receive special attention. My favorite places are 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian and Admiral Goofys at the Yacht and Beach Club. I had soo much fun with meeting new people whether they had families or not (your standing in line, you might as well be friendly, lol) and interacting with the different cast members. From 2002-2007, I made sure that I went down there for October. Sometimes I stayed for 8 days, sometimes 10. But all in all, you will not be bored. My wife finally decided to start coming with me in October (we took trips together before then, of course). She started planning for time off from her job as well. Through the years, I've seen characters and attractions come and go, anticipated things opening and just loved the atmosphere. What I did start doing was dressing up for the Halloween Party. I really enjoy that. Don't know what I'll be this year. Last year, I was a Roman Dictaor. And everyone in my family has caught on that October is the best time to go. But again, going on solo trips can be soo much fun.

Have a great time while your there, Auntie3187
    Kevin

There has been one small change, when the new special offers came out I was not eligible for the free dining but I did get the 20% off the room for a savings of $122.88.

It looks like a great plan to me, you are going to have a great time. I'm looking forward to reading the TR.

Cheers Larry.

Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Auntie's Solo trip to WDW 10/26 - 10/30/13

I am determined to do a solo trip some day. Yours sounds like it will be perfect! My family and I will be there the same time you are, and we are also staying at POFQ. Arriving10/25 and leaving on 11/1. We may bump into one another...

Leslie

Couple of changes, I switched my dinner at Raglan Road to lunch so that I could go to Hollywood Studios to see Fantasmic that night.

I also received a packet in the mail last week to try the magic band. I made my picks for fast passes, which I can't remember right now. I have only one complain so far, when I was booking fastpasses for Epcot I only wanted Soarin' but it forced me to choose 3, what a waste as I do not ride test track of mission space.

I will let you all know how it works out.

Auntie

Hello all,

I am back from my solo trip to the World.

Hopefully you will enjoy my trip report as much as I have enjoyed yours.

Oct. 26, 2013

I was up at 4am or my 8am flight out of Boston’s Logan Airport. I had to move as quietly as possible so as not to disturb my puppy Mickaleen who would make me feel guilty with his sad eyes as I was leaving the house. Mind you there are 5 other people living in my home.

The cab picked me up at approximate 5:30am and both the ride to the airport and the flight were uneventful. We landed at Orlando at approximate 10:30 where I then got into the longest Magical Express line I have ever been in. It went through two switches backs before the final line. I arrived at the French Quarter and was in my room (7318) by 1pm, before I went to the room I stopped at the cafeteria and ordered the fried shrimp and french fries, the fries were so so, but the shrimp was pretty good for cafeteria food.

After a short break I took the Disney bus to EPCOT where I rode Spaceship earth before heading over to Soarin’ to use my Magic Band fast pass. The line for the fast pass for some reason was stopped before the queue and was halfway through the Seasons seating area. I decided to ride Living with the Land and when I came out the line was gone. I took my ride on Soarin’ and instead of the 90 minute standby wait, I think I waited 5 minutes. From there I walked over and did Captain Eo, as I had never seen it before, and now wish I hadn’t wasted my time.

It was now about an hour until my reservation for Via Napoli so I thought I would stroll along and maybe hit a few of the stores in the countries in between. I knew it was F&W festival time but did not realize just how crowded it would be as I had never attended on a weekend before (I did not try any of the Kiosks and this was my only time at EPCOT). It took me nearly 45 minutes to get through the crowd to Italy and even though I was about 15 minutes early I was seated within 5 minutes.

I have to let you know this was a very expensive meal but, OH MY GOD, was the food delicious. I ordered the Quattro Formaggi, individual size, and it was one of the best pizza’s I have had, be warned there is no tomato sauce on this pizza it is just cheese on bread. For desert I tried the Zeppole Katerina, and it was fantastic, the chocolate sauce was to die for.

After dinner I went over to Germany for some snacks for back at the room. I got a bag of the freshly made caramel popcorn, which lasted several days, a caramel apple, which I ate when I got back to the hotel room as it was already starting to turn brown (had the store cut the apple) and a bag of chocolate covered Werther caramels.

I then took the friendship boat over to Mexico and walked out to the bus, as I was exhausted having gotten up so early. Once I got back to the room, after a stop at the store for something to drink (which I did just about every night), I tried to stay up to watch the end of the Red Sox game, but just could not keep my eyes open.

Oct. 27, 2013
    I was up by 7:30 and was out the door by 9am and on my way to Hollywood Studios. The first ride I went on was the Great Movie Ride, which is my favorite. I had 3 Magic Band fast passes for the park today, the first one being Toy Story Midway Mania, where I thought I would have a section of a car to myself, but they put a gentleman whose family had already ridden, he won and I lost. After TSMM I went for the backlot tour and wished they would update it, since they put in Lights, Motors, Action there is not much left to the ride. From there I went to the Indiana Jones stunt show which let out a little bit after my reservation for SciFi Diner.

I checked in at the SciFi and had about a 5 to 10 minute wait. I ordered the All American burger (plain) which was not all that good. I had their candy bar cake desert which was awful. I do not think I will be eating here again. My next fast pass was for Lights, Motors, Action, which was as enjoyable as always. After Lights, Motor, Action I went back to my hotel for a break before I went to Mickey’s not so scary Halloween party.

I left for the party at about 5pm and was at the park in short order. I used my party ticket to enter the park and received my wristband and trick or treat bag. I went to Adventure land first to see Tiki Birds, ride Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean, by the time I left Pirate’s the party was beginning. I immediately got into the first of several candy lines (I might be 47, but I am big kid at heart). There was one by Pirate’s, Tiki birds and a trail of them over by Splash Mountain. I then headed up towards Fantasyland and found the trick or treat spot at the Liberty Square Riverboat dock. I then continued on to Fantasyland where they had a trick or treat spot at Peter Pan and Pinocchio’s Village Haus.

I had a dinner reservation for Tony’s Town Sq. but the map said it wouldn’t be open during the party so I was a little nervous, but actually it is only open until 9pm. My reservation was for 7:50p and while I was waiting to check in the hostess came out and asked for the Flintstone family, and at first I thought I was hearing things but then she said the Wilma Flintstone family and in walked a family wearing Flintstone costumes.

I ordered the Chicken Parm., which was ok, I have had better and I have had worse. I will try this restraint again, but will order something different. I had one of their Halloween desserts, a pumpkin cheesecake, it was small but quite delicious, it came on a plate with a chocolate sketch of Lady and the Tramp.

When I left the restaurant I was just in time to see the 8:30 parade come through Town Sq., however I had missed the Headless Horseman. I could not believe how light the crowd was at this end of the parade, there were a few people sitting on the curb but nobody was standing in my way and I saw all the floats clearly.

After the parade I headed toward Tomorrowland but entered through the Tomorrowland Terrace where there was a trick or treat station and then hit the one by Stitch’s. I saw Monster’s Laugh floor, rode Buzz Lightyear and the T.T.A. before doing some more trick or treating. They had a trick or treat trail between Space Mountain and the Circus area. Once in the Circus area I found another station at Pete’s Silly side show and the last one was at the Little Mermaid ride.

By now it was almost 10pm so I started to head out and while walking down Main St. I heard the cast members telling those sitting on the curb to lift their feet as the Headless Horseman was on his way and would need the street empty, so I decided to wait.

Once the headless horseman came through I headed to the buses and there was one more trick or treat spot where they were handing out black colored peeps.

I got back to the room and managed to see the end of the Red Sox Game.

Oct. 28, 2013
    I slept late today and didn’t get up until nearly 9am as I was going to do a little shopping at Downtown Disney. I took the boat from the FQ to DTD where I bought my niece
    Billie an Alex and Ani Mickey bracelet, my nephew Michael got a Goofy sweatshirt and his girlfriend Tracy got a Minnie Mouse nightshirt. For myself I bought one of those sticker Tinkerbell’s for the back window of my Equinox.

I had a lunch reservation at Raglan Road for 12:30 but I was finished shopping by 11:30ish as I wasn’t finding anything else to get for souvenirs. I went to the restaurant and asked if they could take me early and they did. I was seated by a young family (mother, father and baby boy), where the baby was making a lot of noise. Not crying but more shouting, as if he just realized he could make big noises. The parents were very apologetic and each took turns taking the baby outside so as not to disturb the patrons. I told the mother that anyone who came to Disney and didn’t expect to hear noise from children, well they came to the wrong vacation spot.

I ordered the Keen Eye for the Shepherds pie for my meal and the Lemon Fluffy Clouds for dessert and they were absolutely delicious. I have eaten here several times and have never had a bad meal or bad service.

After lunch I took the boat back to FQ for small break before heading back to Hollywood Studios for the afternoon. I had three fast passes here for the afternoon, my first fast pass was for the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, which I don’t get to see that often as usually the people I am with think it’s a waste of time, but I really enjoy it.

From there I went to check out TSMM but found it was an over two hour wait, so I headed over and did the Muppet Show before my fast pass for Star Tours was open. I have ridden Star Tours several times and can’t tell you what lands I went to, but I can say that I had never gone into the water or hung of a snowy mountain before.

I did a little shopping before heading over to Fantasmic (with fastpass). I bought my mother a Domestic Diva kitchen set (potholder, cloth and towel) with Tinkerbell on it, for my sister I bought a generic WDW sweatshirt and for myself I bought a Tinkerbell mug.

I watched Fantasmic (got a hotdog at one of the stands here and it was blah) and enjoyed watching the Glow With The Show Ears that so many peopled had. When the show was nearly over I started heading out (I only missed the scene with the tugboat filled with characters) as I knew with so many people leaving at the same time (the park was closed) I would most likely get stuck in a huge line for the bus. I was pretty lucky and only two people were in front of me and the bus was there within a few minutes, it left quickly with a bus that wasn’t even half full. I made it back to the hotel and watched most of the Red Sox game, once again I could not keep my eyes open.

Oct. 29, 2013
    Well, this is my last full day of vacation, I leave tomorrow on an 11am flight. I decided to spend the morning packing and relaxing as I would be going to MK and the Hoop Dee Doo Revue tonight. I left for the park around 11am and stopped at Casey’s for the hot dog meal, which came with fries, a drink and either a brownie or Cracker Jack, I took the Cracker Jacks.

I went to ride the Jungle Cruise and Pirate’s of the Caribbean before my fast pass for Philharmagic was open. I absolutely love this attraction as it showcases some of my favorite music from the Disney Movies. My next stop was the new Enchanted Tales with Belle, I had a fast pass so I bypassed Maurice’s cottage. This show will include any child who wants to participate. I had a little bit of time to stop for a bottle of water before my fast pass for the Under the Sea – Journey of the little Mermaid Ride, which was cutesy. I don’t think I would stand in line for more than 10 minutes for it though.

After the little Mermaid ride I went over and saw Carousel of Progress, which is one of my favorites, before doing Buzz Lightyear and the T.T.A. again. I still had about 30 to 40 minutes before I needed to head over to Pioneer Hall at Fort Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, so I went back to Adventureland and rode Pirates of the Caribbean again. On the way out of the park I looked around in a couple of stores but didn’t buy anything.

I took the boat over to Fort Wilderness and got there probably 20 to 30 minutes early so I wandered around a little before sitting on one of the benches out front where I met a nice couple from Western Mass who were staying at the Shades of Green resort. Once again, I really enjoyed the food (I stuffed myself to the gills with this food) and the show very well.

What I like about this show (I went to the 6:15) is that they had buses waiting to take everyone go back to their resorts if they wanted. Once back at the hotel I finished packing and called to pay my baggage fee for the flight home before hitting the sack as I knew I had a 6am wakeup call.

Oct 30, 2013
    The dreaded 6am wakeup call came and I showered, ironed, dressed and packed away the last few things left. I walked up to the front and did the airline check in before taking a seat on one of the benches to wait for my ME bus. The bus came at 8:10 on the dot and after a stop at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs we were off to the airport.

At the airport, I had the shortest trip through security I have ever had, not even 15 minutes. I stopped at the Burger King for a breakfast croissant, it is so tiny I should have gotten two. I had a little over 2 hour wait before we boarded and the flight took off (just a little late) as we had to order more fuel. Seems like the President was going to be landing at Boston’s Logan Airport just about the time we were (he was giving a speech on Obamacare’s website problems) so the Captain wanted more fuel just in case we had to fly around Boston until it was clear to land.

Thankfully, the President was running a little late, we landed at about 2:15 and after a quick restroom stop I headed straight to baggage claim, moving quickly as I wanted to be out of the airport before the President landed. When I got to the baggage carousel I groaned as three Delta flights were using this spot at the same time, but shock of all shocks my suitcase was one of the first 10 out of the chute, that NEVER HAPPENS to me. I grabbed my suitcase and booked it to the Taxi stand and was at home in Charlestown by 3pm where I was warmly welcomed by my baby Mickaleen. I know he missed me as he wouldn’t leave my side for the rest of the day.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it.

Auntie (Cathy)

I really enjoyed your trip report. I have never gone solo so I commend you.

Thanks so much for taking us along.
    Ellen

hummmmmmmmmmmm French quarter & chevy equinox

From Auntie to Auntie

Quote Originally Posted by relaaxedwheniamthere View Post
    hummmmmmmmmmmm French quarter & chevy equinox
    Hello Auntie
    I go by Auntie in my family too and also 47 and live in the MA. Weird I Enjoyed your trip report. I have always thought of a solo trip but so far the closest I have come was two nights alone at allstar movies added on to the end of a work Trip.
    How did you like the Magic Band and Fast pass plus? Sounded like it worked for you. I just got mine in the mail and will be trying it out next month on a trip with my family. Glad you had a nice time.

Sherry,

The fastpass+ and Magic Band worked great. At some of the fastpass+ when you scan your Magic Band they welcome you by name, such as enjoy your trip (inserty your name).

What city do you live in, I live in Charlestown, very convenient for the airport run.

Cathy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie3187 View Post
    Sherry,

The fastpass+ and Magic Band worked great. At some of the fastpass+ when you scan your Magic Band they welcome you by name, such as enjoy your trip (inserty your name).

What city do you live in, I live in Charlestown, very convenient for the airport run.

Cathy
    Thanks for the info we live in Plympton very small town it's closer for us to fly out of Providence RI.

Auntie's Solo trip to WDW 10/26 - 10/30/13

Sounds like fun, thank-you for sharing your trip with us. I agree about Raglan Road, we had a great meal there in the summer. And what a joy to read a trip report where someone is reasonable about the fact that children at Disney make a noise!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Sounds like fun, thank-you for sharing your trip with us. I agree about Raglan Road, we had a great meal there in the summer. And what a joy to read a trip report where someone is reasonable about the fact that children at Disney make a noise!
    I have been there several times with my niece Samantha and my nephew Michael, they 15 & 27 now but when we brought them they were still young. Samantha went the first time a few weeks before her 4th birthday so I know how children can be. I don't let it bother me, mostly I just smile and remember what Michael & Samantha were like when they were at WDW for the first time.