Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: World View: Planning Your Trip Using Fastpass+

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

World View: Planning Your Trip Using Fastpass+

Planning Your Trip Using Fastpass+ by Jeff Kober

Jeff takes a look at some questions about the new Fastpass+ system.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

World View: Planning Your Trip Using Fastpass+

So to book 6 mo in advance, are you going to have to book a WDW package? Anymore, we rarely book packages (even if I don't have an AP), but we do book rooms on site (we don't do the dining plan, and the cancellation /payment terms of room only are more generous and any discounts usually come out closer the the trip than 6 months). And if you're staying offsite, No 6 mo?

Especially if You have to book a package to get one 6 mo out- you're really hurting the benefit of the DVC ownership, and APs.

And if you park hop, can you participate in 'day of' at the second park if you've used your 4 at the first park?

Cathy

Sorry if I mis-communicated. My understanding is that DVC and AP folks will be able to reserve six months out as well.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kober View Post
    Sorry if I mis-communicated. My understanding is that DVC and AP folks will be able to reserve six months out as well.
    I was getting a little confused by that point in the article (I hadn't had enough caffeine yet!) so you may have said it find, it could have been me --
    But Non-APs on Room-Only reservations could do at 6 months, right? But not those staying at Condos off site?
    Cathy

I'm not sure when people can plan their FP+ when they are staying off property. My guess--and it is only just that--is that Disney wants to sell the tickets directly and not through others as they have in the past. They certainly want to help end the more suspicious ticket sellers along International and 192. My guess is that sales will be more directly made online and that once they are made online you will be able to make FP+ reservations in advance. Will that be 6 months? I'm not sure.

This scenario helps introduce only some of the ways Disney hopes to recoup their money from this big investment. First, to eliminate black market sales. Second, to reduce the middleman where reasonably possible. And third...and this is probably the biggest way...is to get that money in advance. Millions of dollars collected months in advance of going to the parks means millions in additional interest they wouldn't have made otherwise by having that money sit in a bank or in other investments. There is a lot of financial sense to this model.

A most interesting and informative read. I wanted to comment on this statement -

I've been informed that there will always be an allotment of slots available on the day of visit.
    I'll betcha we can anticipate that the internet universe will find out very quickly the time at which they open up these same-day slots, and locals will have to get up at 4am or 3am or 2am to get their FP+ tickets before they're gone.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

All I can imagine about this system is that the new Fastpass+ attractions will have longer standby times, even on slow days. Attractions that have never needed Fastpass in order to get guests on quickly will see standby times possibly double.

The only possible benefit I can see is the use of a smartphone to keep track of your Fastpasses, and not having to deal with the paper passes. Other than that, everything about this system sounds just horrible.

The worst thing of all is that this system seems purposefully designed to punish the first-time guest. If you don't know the layout of the parks, the usually wait times for the attractions, or even whether you'll want to go on something or not, you lose. It's a system that rewards the more frequent visitor -- if the more frequent visitor loves planning their days months in advance.

They say there will be "day of" Fastpasses available, but how much you wanna bet they disappear within minutes of when you can start reserving them? (At least for the good rides.)

My fervent hope is that this system fails spectacularly and that they end up returning all Fastpasses to "day of" distribution only -- and removing Fastpass from attractions that don't need it.