Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Korkis Korner: Happy Anniversary, The Disney Channel

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Korkis Korner: Happy Anniversary, The Disney Channel

Happy Anniversary, The Disney Channel by Jim Korkis

Tune in as Jim reflects on 30 years of the cable network.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

The Disney Channel brought me much joy when it aired classic Disney films and TV shows. I used to wait excitedly for the mail to bring that month's program guide. Alas, that channel is long gone. I know time marches on and all that, but I can't believe Disney today doesn't provide this programming for Disney fans. I haven't watched what is now known as Disney Channel for at least 20 years.

John

My first memories of the Disney Channel are from the 90s when I would watch Pooh Corner, Duck Tales, Tale Spin, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, and my favorite, Adventures in Wonderland. I remember taping these shows on the VCR and watching them when I got home from school, or in the case of Adventures in Wonderland, watching it before heading off to school that morning. I miss these shows, and I miss "my" Disney Channel. I remember when Toon Disney was eventually available to us and we got it so I could then again watch Tale Spin, Duck Tales, etc, but sadly, Adventures in Wonderland was not on...now gone forever. I also understand the need for change, but it is a shame in my mind that it seems to be more pre-teen - teen shows or preschool computer animated cartoons. I guess things are always better when they are in your childhood!

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers."

I remember loving the Disney Channel up to almost 10 years ago... then it became all kids all the time. Stupid kids too: disrespectful, using (what could loosely be called) irony, sarcasm and strange-looks as humor rather than actually funny stuff, and overreacting to everything ala 'SpongeBob'. Also, parents are made to looks inept, clueless and generally-stupid. I stopped watching years ago but miss things like Vault Disney or reruns of WWOD/WWOC/Disneyland and older movies. It's become completely useless to the point I've locked it out of our channel lineup. I know I sound like a grumpy old man, but I'm only a 37 yr/old father who can't stand what happened to a once-great resource and don't want my kids influenced by stupidity. You can't even get good Disney cartoons at the resorts these days! We used to go to sleep watching old cartoons/movies (a rare treat for vaca ).

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now... sorry, great article but it touched a nerve

For me the most valuable part of The Disney Channel was the Vault Disney series, which might feature Wonderful World of Color episodes or other Disney media from years past. I have a terrific collection of old Disneyland shows, including the park opening back in 1955. The channel provides absolutely nothing for me these days, which is sad.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I grew up watching the World of Disney every Sunday night. I always hoped there would be a cartoon, but the live action show were good too. When I learned about the Disney Channel I was very excited. However I could have not been more disappointed. The shows were terrible and not entertaining. Vault Disney was the only thing worth watching and that most of the time was a let down. I stopped watching the channel after about a year. Many years later I came back to the channel since I now have small children and absolutely love it now. Smart funny cartoons (Phineas and Ferb), great shows like Good Luck Charlie, and several times a week they have a full length Disney movie. I am very pleased to see that the Disney Channel has evolved into a true entertainment channel for the whole family.

Back in 2002 or 2003, when the Disney Channel gave up showing "historic" programming like the Vault Disney stuff, I wrote them a letter, asking why all the interesting programming was being taken off the air. They took the time to write back -- to tell me that their audience was only interested in children's programming.

I wrote back to them, to tell them that their statement was untrue; I knew I wanted "grown-up" programming, and I knew others felt the same way. I told them that it was very foolish of them to turn of a prime demographic -- adults with disposable income -- in favor of programming that appeals to toddlers, especially after midnight. Whose children were staying up until 1:00 in the morning to watch cartoons?

Honestly, I've never watched the Disney Channel since. Not because I'm holding a grudge, but because they haven't aired a single thing I'm interested in watching.