Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker Bell Half Marathon Tips?

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by punkyv View Post
    Excellent! Thank you so much!!!
    Any hotel preference?
    We always stay at Candy Cane Inn - we've stayed there so much they know us. Super nice boutique hotel. AAA and/or AP discount. Nice continental breakfast. Pool. About 3 blocks from the Tinker start. 1.5 blocks from the park entrance. They are close but they are also one of the only hotels that still runs their own shuttles every 30 minutes to and from the park.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Any of the normal 'walk distance' hotels are fine for the half. If you're on Harbor, try to use the restroom in DTD on your way to the start. It'll be your last chance for a real one!

Re the expo and picking up bibs/etc. the Expo STARTS on Thursday and goes through Saturday (hours will be posted nearer race day). You'll have no problem picking up on Saturday. You may not be able to get the coveted 'official Items' in the runDisney official merchandise, but think of that as a cost savings! I DO recommend going as early as you can on Saturday. In the past, they've had 'issues' with shirt sizes running low, so better safe than sorry.
    Excellent point on the DTD restrooms. There are also ones in Carsland that are good as well.

One other point on the expo. If you do go Saturday don't wait until close to closing. I've had friends who timed it way too close and just about ended up forfitting their race packet. They do not stay open longer than their posted time to shut their doors!
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Excellent point on the DTD restrooms. There are also ones in Carsland that are good as well.

One other point on the expo. If you do go Saturday don't wait until close to closing. I've had friends who timed it way too close and just about ended up forfitting their race packet. They do not stay open longer than their posted time to shut their doors!
    Good to know! I'm an early bird & prob will be the first in line to get the pack on Sat, though.
    Thanks for the bathroom ideas! Where are the Carsland ones? I can only place the SF Painted Ladies one...
    Dreaming of a Monte Cristo!!!

Blog Entries
    Good to know! I'm an early bird & prob will be the first in line to get the pack on Sat, though.
    Thanks for the bathroom ideas! Where are the Carsland ones? I can only place the SF Painted Ladies one...
    If we come into Cars Land thru the main road, the rest rooms are on the right side of the road between Sarge's Surplus Hut and Flo's V8 Cafe.
    RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Excellent! Thank you so much!!!
    Any hotel preference?
    I think most of the hotels that would be fine for a DL visit for you, would be fine for Tink, if they're walking distance.
    Personally, I've done HoJos or Fairfield (behind McDs on Harbor) most of the time -- but just look through the DL Trip Planning forum for recommendations on walking distance hotels.
    Cathy

This is a great thread! I have some questions about runDisney / Disneyland races in general, but they could probably go here.

When to leave for the start line - We are staying at Paradise Pier. How much time do we need to get to our corrals without having to rush, but also to not sit outside forever?

Pictures - How long does it usually take to stand in line for a character photo? (I am guessing the lines move pretty quickly, with everyone trying to get back in the race, right?) Will they take a picture with your phone like they do for regular in-park photos?

Restrooms / port-a-potties - After we exit the parks, about how often are there port-a-potties?

Finish line - Kevin will most likely finish 45 minutes or so ahead of me. Will he be allowed to hang out in the finish area and wait so he can watch me finish? If not, is there somewhere else he can go to watch?

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    This is a great thread! I have some questions about runDisney / Disneyland races in general, but they could probably go here.

When to leave for the start line - We are staying at Paradise Pier. How much time do we need to get to our corrals without having to rush, but also to not sit outside forever?

Pictures - How long does it usually take to stand in line for a character photo? (I am guessing the lines move pretty quickly, with everyone trying to get back in the race, right?) Will they take a picture with your phone like they do for regular in-park photos?

Restrooms / port-a-potties - After we exit the parks, about how often are there port-a-potties?

Finish line - Kevin will most likely finish 45 minutes or so ahead of me. Will he be allowed to hang out in the finish area and wait so he can watch me finish? If not, is there somewhere else he can go to watch?
    If the start remains the same as the previous two years, you will walk out the door of your hotel and be at the start line (nice....). I would recommend coming down at least 30 minutes prior to the start to get into your corral as anything later gets a) crazy with bodies all trying to get in and b) you'll want to be set and get the nerves calmed down.

Picture lines vary. Princesses are pretty popular as are Mickey and Minnie so expect much longer lines. Other characters can be walk-up ready or just have a few runners waiting. There are usually 'character handlers' that can take your picture with your own camera and/or phone. They usually don't take 'official-pay-through-the-nose' professional pictures with the characters during the race.

Port-a-loos can usually be found with the water stations so expect them at least every two miles if not more.

Kevin can swing around after crossing the finish line and come back outside of the finish to watch for you to cross. He actually will have a better view from outside of the finish area than if he stays there. Again, take a look at the course map and the finish area to determine his viewing spot and where the two of you will meet up.
    RunningFool

Regarding bathrooms crowds, I found the most crowded ones were the ones outside of bag check (since it's the only bathrooms before you start), and the first ones available after you started running (I think you're backstage in DCA). After that, the bathroom lines were considerably shorter.

- Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmores View Post
    Regarding bathrooms crowds, I found the most crowded ones were the ones outside of bag check (since it's the only bathrooms before you start), and the first ones available after you started running (I think you're backstage in DCA). After that, the bathroom lines were considerably shorter.
    And if you haven't yet experienced a WDW half marathon start, you may be surprised by the number of runners (both male and female) that avoid the porta-loos altogether and run off into the bushes by the side of the road before the first gun goes off!
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    and if you haven't yet experienced a wdw half marathon start, you may be surprised by the number of runners (both male and female) that avoid the porta-loos altogether and run off into the bushes by the side of the road before the first gun goes off!
    yikes!!!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    yikes!!!
    Keep in mind, that's WDW, not Disneyland. I've done WDW once. I've done DL and Tink multiple times. In my one WDW event, I saw this. I've never seen it at DL. Not to say it doesn't happen, but if it does, it's far less common. WDW's start is a lot more "Middle of No Where" than DL's is.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

If the start remains the same as the previous two years, you will walk out the door of your hotel and be at the start line (nice....). I would recommend coming down at least 30 minutes prior to the start to get into your corral as anything later gets a) crazy with bodies all trying to get in and b) you'll want to be set and get the nerves calmed down.

Picture lines vary. Princesses are pretty popular as are Mickey and Minnie so expect much longer lines..
    Thanks RunningFool! That is all so helpful!

For the longer picture lines, do they move pretty quick? Or are you burning 10 minutes every time you stand in one? I'm trying to take your advice and not be time-obsessed for my first half, but I also find it's hard to get going again after I stand for a while. I'd really like a Merida picture if she's out, since my race outfit is Merida-inspired, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't get one.

One more question - music! I ALWAYS have music on my phone, with headphones, when I run. I've even developed a little habit to make a race-day playlist the night before the race, timed to my expected / goal finish time. I go back and forth over whether I'll want music during the part of the race that's in the parks. Is there enough going on and constant background music so that you don't need music? Or should I just plan to run with it if nothing else to not change anything major on race day?
    Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I can't answer your line question because I VERY rarely stop for photo opps -- only if there's NO line. Or a very short line. They do usually move.

One more question - music! I ALWAYS have music on my phone, with headphones, when I run. I've even developed a little habit to make a race-day playlist the night before the race, timed to my expected / goal finish time. I go back and forth over whether I'll want music during the part of the race that's in the parks. Is there enough going on and constant background music so that you don't need music? Or should I just plan to run with it if nothing else to not change anything major on race day?
    Here's what I do:

I know how long it will take me to finish the race so I make a playlist that is at least that long. I will time it, too. I put the extra encouraging stuff, my favorite stuff, etc, at the last half of the race when I KNOW I'll need extra umph.

For Tinker Bell, last year, we had an insane amount of park time. I want to say we didn't get out to city streets until almost half way through the race. (I'm counting Downtown Disney in that.) I do include music for park time but I make it the music I don't care as much about. If I don't want it, I pull out the earphone. When I need it again, I put the earphone back in - and I don't have to futz with my iPod. It's just easy. I tuck my ear phones in my shoulder bra strap when I'm not listening to music, so they're not flopping around and I'm not worried about them.

HTH!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Keep in mind, that's WDW, not Disneyland. I've done WDW once. I've done DL and Tink multiple times. In my one WDW event, I saw this. I've never seen it at DL. Not to say it doesn't happen, but if it does, it's far less common. WDW's start is a lot more "Middle of No Where" than DL's is.
    Excellent point. WDW half and full marathons start out in the 'boonies' about a mile away from EPCOT. Much different than the very public start in Disneyland!
    Last edited by RunningFool; 07-15-2013 at 01:00 AM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    For the longer picture lines, do they move pretty quick? Or are you burning 10 minutes every time you stand in one? I'm trying to take your advice and not be time-obsessed for my first half, but I also find it's hard to get going again after I stand for a while. I'd really like a Merida picture if she's out, since my race outfit is Merida-inspired, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't get one.
    They burn through pretty fast but I have seen lines by the castle for Mickey & Minnie about 20 deep. You already have Merida identified as one 'must have' character picture; pick one or two more and make sure those happen. Consider any other characters you come across as targets of opportunity and jump if the line is short and /or you are making good time and feel comfortable burning a few minutes. Also, remember you won't see any characters outside of the parks so if the course remains similar to 2013, you will only be stopping for character pictures between miles 2 - 5.5 or so. You can make up a lot of time in the second half of the race.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    I know how long it will take me to finish the race so I make a playlist that is at least that long. I will time it, too. I put the extra encouraging stuff, my favorite stuff, etc, at the last half of the race when I KNOW I'll need extra umph.

For Tinker Bell, last year, we had an insane amount of park time. I want to say we didn't get out to city streets until almost half way through the race. (I'm counting Downtown Disney in that.) I do include music for park time but I make it the music I don't care as much about. If I don't want it, I pull out the earphone. When I need it again, I put the earphone back in - and I don't have to futz with my iPod. It's just easy. I tuck my ear phones in my shoulder bra strap when I'm not listening to music, so they're not flopping around and I'm not worried about them.
    Great point on splitting the first half /second half music. There is usually so much music during the park sections that any personal music is almost an irritant. There will be music and some amazing entertainment along the remainder of the course but it is a bit less frequent.

I run with a Sony Walkman Sports MP3 Player which means no wires to deal with and all the controls are on the earpiece. It's an easy 'pop' to stop and start the tunes when needed. It's also waterproof which has come in handy this year as it was a rainy spring.
    RunningFool

I do include music for park time but I make it the music I don't care as much about. If I don't want it, I pull out the earphone. When I need it again, I put the earphone back in - and I don't have to futz with my iPod. It's just easy. I tuck my ear phones in my shoulder bra strap when I'm not listening to music, so they're not flopping around and I'm not worried about them.

HTH!
    Great point on splitting the first half /second half music. There is usually so much music during the park sections that any personal music is almost an irritant. There will be music and some amazing entertainment along the remainder of the course but it is a bit less frequent.
    Thanks! That helps. So it sounds like there is enough music while you are in the parks. Good point on including the music I don't care about for the first half of the playlist. I definitely put my more inspirational stuff toward the end, and especially for that last mile. My earbuds are those YurBuds, which I really like except that the little covers have fallen off more than once when I've taken them out of my pocket or pouch or whatever, so I don't want to mess with them too many times during the race. I'm tentatively thinking of starting without music, putting my phone in my Sparkle Skirt pocket, and leaving the headphones in my pouch. That way my phone is free for any pictures I want to take. I plan to walk through water stops anyway, so maybe I'll just plan to assess whether or not I want the music at each water stop, and hook it up at that point if I do.

And now is when the experienced half marathoners can laugh at me for overthinking this way too much. It's like when my OB told me when I was pregnant with cub #1, "you're asking all these questions about labor and delivery, but the really scary part is we're going to send you home with a newborn and no instruction manual!"
    Jen

Blog Entries
    And now is when the experienced half marathoners can laugh at me for overthinking this way too much. It's like when my OB told me when I was pregnant with cub #1, "you're asking all these questions about labor and delivery, but the really scary part is we're going to send you home with a newborn and no instruction manual!"
    No laughing from me -- I'm a big proponent of "Knowledge is Power"! How do you know what to think about unless you ask. And by asking questions NOW - there might be something you can 'test' before race day during your training, to decide how it works for you/how you need to tweak it!

I definitely recommend looking at the course map to help you think about when you might need more 'umph' to your play list. When I did the DL half, I remember a big long stretch of road with not much on it (except people walking back with their medals on!) before I got to DCA again, and if I'd been listening to music - that's a point I would have wanted some really good stuff. (I don't listen to music during races, but that's a personal preference).

I'm glad you've done some other races, because you have a good base to ask questions about THIS race from!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I definitely recommend looking at the course map to help you think about when you might need more 'umph' to your play list. !
    I looked at the Tink map to help me figure out where the water/sports drink/gel was going to be, where the half way point was, and eventually where to find the MA cheer station.

Also, reading these posts helped put me at ease for the Tink this last January. MousePlanet people are awesome and a total wealth of knowledge and support.
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Quote Originally Posted by ssmores View Post
    I looked at the Tink map to help me figure out where the water/sports drink/gel was going to be, where the half way point was, and eventually where to find the MA cheer station.

Also, reading these posts helped put me at ease for the Tink this last January. MousePlanet people are awesome and a total wealth of knowledge and support.
    second!

Where would I find the Tink map, please?

Blog Entries

Disney has been known to tweak routes from year to year - so if you DID find a Tink map right now, it's not guaranteed to be the same as the 2014 map.
    The 2014 map will be on the RunDisney website when it's released. (They haven't even released the course for the DL half on Labor Day weekend - so you have a bit of a wait for Tink -- but the 'stuff' you will be able to learn from that isn't stuff you need to know right now - just know it'll go through one or both parks, some backstage areas, and maybe an overpass or other hill, but that'll be about it)

(I did find some by just googling - not sure if they're accurate or what year they're from, so don't want to provide the link directly without that)

Cathy

Where would I find the Tink map, please?
    Here's the USATF map; runDisney has not released the official map for 2014 yet.

Great & thanks! It gives me a little idea of what to expect :o)

Blog Entries

Being a data geek and historian (i.e., giant packrat), I actually have both the 2012 and 2013 Tinker Bell course map PDFs and yes, there was a HUGE difference between the inaugural event and the 2013 event. It's kind of fun to see how the race has evolved.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Actually, it's refreshing to find someone so interested in the race and in planning their experience. I wish I would have been better prepared for my first half marathon (WDW 2006) which featured a spectacular 'bonk' at mile 10 (to this day, all I remember of the final three miles is the gospal choir). I've learned to post-mortem each race and learn from both the good and bad experiences to make future ones even better (a good activity for the plane ride home).
    RunningFool