Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinker Bell Half Marathon Tips?

Tinker Bell Half Marathon Tips?

Does anyone have any tips about the TB 1/2 ? This is the first time I'm entering (going with a good friend). Any tips about checking in/free time/ race tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Dreaming of a Monte Cristo!!!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this your first half marathon, or just your first Disneyland half?

Cathy

First Half ever :o)

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Do you have a training plan in mind yet? What kind of running (or walking) experience do you have?

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Do you have a training plan in mind yet? What kind of running (or walking) experience do you have?
    We are walking. I walk at a good pace (about 4-5 mi/hr). I walk daily for about 2 hours & am going to try to step it up to 3. Any suggestions would greatly help!!!

Blog Entries

First, You really want to find a good training plan. Galloway, Bingham, and I know there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Disney will sweep those that can't meet 16 minutes per mile pace, which is completing the half in 3:30
    I had a tough time finding tons of advice for walking, but there was one website I found that was helpful (I googled walking and half marathon, there's not many that pop up.). But just about all the novice advice for runners doing a half is going to apply to a walker.

You want to use your training (particularly your longer miles) to figure out how you need to dial in hydration, electrolyte, and carbohydrate needs and how you're going to achieve those on the course. Because the number 2 piece of advice is Nothing new on race day! Number 1 is trust your training/training plan. (Which means you need to FIND a training plan).

Training plans are important because they will help you increase your miles safely and minimizing chances for over-training injuries or being unprepared for race day.

In addition to Bingham and Galloway, personally I like the Run Like A Mother and Train Like A Mother books (even though I'm not a Mother) because they've got a lot of female specific advice presented in an easy to digest form.

Cathy

Blog Entries

Just read this article about hydration/electrolytes/fueling during a race (and using your training to figure out what YOU need!)

Also, ANY question you have, in addition to the 'amateurs' here answering, check out runnersworld.com. They have a TON of information on just about any subject you can think of!

Cathy

Wow! Thank you Drince88 for all the advice!
    I looked up some training plans & have one that I can adapt into my work schedule. I followed it today and paced myself at 4mph. I figure if I keep it up & follow the plan that I can make it. Hopefully 6 months is enough to train...

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the fun of runDisney half marathons!

As everyone has said, a training plan is key. In addtion to Galloway and Bingham, I would also recommend checking out Hal Higdon's half marathon walking program. Galloway, Higdon, and Bingham all have different styles; you'll need to find the one that best 'speaks' to you. If you want to take it a step further and do a bit more research, each of them have written some marvelous books on half marathon participation. I found Bingham's to be very inspirational and more personal based on his own experiences as The Penguin, Galloway's to be more structured towards how-to, and Higdon more at a runner level.

If you are a journaler, keep one during your training as well as notes from the race. They will help you determine what worked and what didn't if you decide to continue on to other half marathons (and like chips, bet ya can't do just one). Keeping a history of the races you have done is also great just from a memory perspective.

If you want to have the best selection of runDisney branded race merchandise, be in line at the expo about an hour before it opens. If you have someone with you, have them scout out the merchandise while you pick up your packet (these are two separate lines and areas at the Disneyland Hotel). The merchandise checkout line usually gets very long very quickly and some items such as jackets usually sell out so the earlier the better. And although this seems logical to not try, don't buy new shoes or clothes at the expo with the idea of wearing them in the half. Until you have tested them out (see next bullet), that's a big no-no that many participants seem to forget with sometimes really bad results.

As Cathy said in her post, don't try anything new on race day. That includes practicing distance in what you are planning to wear. If you are planning on wearing a costume (and yes, many, many people do even at the half), test it out before you try to complete 13.1 miles in it. Can you move in it? Will it be too warm (or not warm enough) depending on the weather reports? Will it get in your way or the way of others? As a walker, you may have less hassles in a costume than a runner but remember you may be out longer in it. As we've mentioned in other MP forums, the roadways are littered with crowns, wings, and other costume parts that once seemed like a good idea but for one reason or another just didn't, ahem, 'fly'.

It's also important to test the energy drink (usually lemon-lime Powerade) and energy gel (usually Clif Shots) that will be offered along the course. The last thing you need is to deal with a 'gastric' issue because something didn't sit well with you and/or your own personal fuel. And on that note, carry extra tissue with you just in case. 'nuff said.

Even if you are local, if you can afford it I would recommend staying close to the park the night before the race. In addition to the Disney hotels, there are many very nice hotels in walking distance to the start (I always stay at Candy Cane Inn - just about 4 blocks from the start and the race runs right in front of the hotel!). Not having to worry about traffic and being able to sleep in (or at least remain in bed if you can't sleep) even an extra 30 minutes can be wonderful especially with a 5:00 a.m. race start!

BYOM - bring your own munchies. I always bring my own bagel and banana for race morning and a protein bar for after. I know what I like and don't depend on either finding it in the area or on runDisney providing it.

Eat your last big meal about 18 hours prior to the half marathon start. This tip, from both Galloway and Higdon, makes sense as you won't be spending the night stuffed and trying to digest big quantities of carbs and fat. I usually have a good lunch and then top everything off in the evening with a child's serving of pasta in the park.

Make a check list of everything you need to have or do the morning of the race and post it where you will see it on the door of your house or hotel depending if you are local or traveling. Even after finishing many, many half marathons I find the list has saved me from walking out the door and forgetting something important. Sometimes the brain just goes into autopilot and it's easy to leave something behind.

Pack extra safety pins along for your race bib and a Sharpie to write your Important Info on the back. I can't tell you the number of times pins were supposed to be in the bag and they weren't. And you will find that regular pens often don't write well on the bibs. Make sure the ink used won't run when wet.

Find a cheap fleece blanket that you can toss to keep you warm at the start of the race and/or provide something to sit on. I usually pick them up at Target for $2.00 after the holidays when they go 90% off. Cheap ugly running gloves may also come in handy depending on the morning temps. Remember, it will still be dark when the race starts which in January usually means cool temps (fingers crossed).

If you will have spectators along for the fun, make sure you know where they will be along the course so you'll know when to watch for them in the crowd. Ask them to wear a fun, colorful hat, jacket, and or shirt if possible so they stand out. Make sure they are aware of what you are wearing so they can easily spot you as well. Also confirm a location to meet after the race. If you have supporters who will not be with you race morning, make sure to sign up for runner tracking (usually on the runDisney site a week before the event or at the expo). They will receive email or text 'pings' as you travel along the course that will tell them how you are doing. I also sign up any spectators for the service as well so they can more easily judge when they need to be at the finish line.

If possible, plan on taking time to wear your medal in the park after the race. There is no better way to celebrate completing your first (or 50th) runDisney event than to share that accomplishment with Disney guests, fellow half marathon participants, and cast members alike.

If you are thinking about getting your picture taken with your medal and Tinker Bell after the race, get to Pixie Hollow as early as possible and be prepared to wait as this is a very popular activity. Totally worth it.

Check back on the Team MousePlanet site at least once a week. Here you will find updates, encouragement, and a host of other ideas and thoughts that will help you prepare for the half marathon.

One last piece of advice I would like to add is to make your only goal to finish your first half marathon feeling good and enjoying the experience. So many people get so caught up on finishing in a certain time above all else that they are disapointed if everything doesn't go according to their plan. Certainly you will have to hold the 16 minute or better pace that is required by runDisney but remember, the clock doesn't start until the last person crosses the start line. Take a camera for pictures with characters. Talk to fellow participants. Celebrate the fact you are doing something that a very small part of the population actually accomplish. Cross the finish line with a smile.

Last edited by RunningFool; 07-08-2013 at 09:54 AM.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries
    As everyone has said, a training plan is key. In addtion to Galloway and Bingham, I would also recommend checking out Hal Higdon's half marathon walking program.
    Higdon! That's who I was forgetting - I knew there was a 'big three'! Thanks!

If you will have spectators along for the fun, make sure you know where they will be along the course so you'll know when to watch for them in the crowd. Ask them to wear a fun, colorful hat, jacket, and or shirt if possible so they stand out. Make sure they are aware of what you are wearing so they can easily spot you as well.
    Or have them carry a specific balloon/balloons! You can spot them a lot farther off with something that's up high!
    Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Or have them carry a specific balloon/balloons! You can spot them a lot farther off with something that's up high!
    Very good idea! It's amazing how everyone blends into a blur especially in the popular spots along the esplanade between the parks, Main Street in Disneyland, and along the last .1 miles to the finish.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Wow!!! Thank you all for all the wonderful tips!!! MPers are the BEST!!! I will check out Galloway,Bingham, and Higdon. I'm already excited!!! I just want to finish & not get bumped out so not really worried about my time. I'm an AP holder so will def hit the park after! Where is the Team MousePlanet site? I'd love to check it out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by punkyv View Post
    Where is the Team MousePlanet site? I'd love to check it out!
    You found it - 'after' the lounge in the MousePad forums!
    Cathy

Thank you!

Headless Chicken

Hey, Punkyv! It's my first half marathon too! Let's do this thing!!!

If you want to connect for a weekend training run this fall, let me know.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Hey, Punkyv! It's my first half marathon too! Let's do this thing!!!

If you want to connect for a weekend training run this fall, let me know.
    Sounds good!

There are a lot of articles on MousePlanet under the Team MousePlanet column. Also, this Disneyland Update covered the first Tinker Bell race.

I don't think I can add much more to what has been said, other than that I agree with all of it, but I think this bears repeating!

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    As Cathy said in her post, don't try anything new on race day. That includes practicing distance in what you are planning to wear. If you are planning on wearing a costume (and yes, many, many people do even at the half), test it out before you try to complete 13.1 miles in it. Can you move in it? Will it be too warm (or not warm enough) depending on the weather reports? Will it get in your way or the way of others? As a walker, you may have less hassles in a costume than a runner but remember you may be out longer in it. As we've mentioned in other MP forums, the roadways are littered with crowns, wings, and other costume parts that once seemed like a good idea but for one reason or another just didn't, ahem, 'fly'.
    My first race ever was the DL half, and I was so inspired by all of the cute costumes! I ran a few other local, unthemed races where a costume didn't seem like a good idea, then when I entered a "Rainbow Run" I decided to make an wear a tulle tutu style skirt. It was super cute, but I discovered at about mile 2 of the 10k that I hated it! My arms were above it when I ran, but rubbing it when I walked, and it kept bunching up between my legs.

Punkyv, the "I love Cake!" in your avatar reminded me of this water bottle I had seen:

http://luluaddict.blogspot.com/2011/...er-bottle.html

It's so true for me!

First of all, congrats for committing to such a challenge! Many people doubt that they ever could finish a Half without ever trying- so consider me proud of you for starting. Because now that you've started, you're not going to want to stop running them!

My tips for a first Half:

1. Run it to finish. Let's be real: you're not going to win first place in your first half, so just focus on finishing ahead of the sweepers. The only person you're racing is yourself.

2. Don't push yourself further than what your body can handle. Make sure to pace yourself so that you don't start at a sprint and burn out 2 miles in. You'll still have 11 to go. Also listen to your body- if it needs to walk, do it!

3. Enjoy your time. Take pictures. Be silly if given the chance- but don't use up all of your energy on it!

4. Check a map of the parks and see where there are REAL bathrooms on the course if port a potties give you the jeebies. It's a strategy that's worked for me every single race. It'll take you slightly off course, but for me it's always worth it. (I think I've used the Critter Country bathrooms on the way out of the park every single year).

5. Take lots of pictures! Post them on Facebook! Impress your friends, and inspire them to try a Half with you! Then once they're hooked, they'll be all "Let's go on a destination race and it'll be a great bonding experience!" And you'll go "Yeah. You're welcome."

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Quote Originally Posted by jodi View Post
    punkyv, the "i love cake!" in your avatar reminded me of this water bottle i had seen:

http://luluaddict.blogspot.com/2011/...er-bottle.html

it's so true for me!
    so cute!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    First of all, congrats for committing to such a challenge! Many people doubt that they ever could finish a Half without ever trying- so consider me proud of you for starting. Because now that you've started, you're not going to want to stop running them!

My tips for a first Half:

1. Run it to finish. Let's be real: you're not going to win first place in your first half, so just focus on finishing ahead of the sweepers. The only person you're racing is yourself.

2. Don't push yourself further than what your body can handle. Make sure to pace yourself so that you don't start at a sprint and burn out 2 miles in. You'll still have 11 to go. Also listen to your body- if it needs to walk, do it!

3. Enjoy your time. Take pictures. Be silly if given the chance- but don't use up all of your energy on it!

4. Check a map of the parks and see where there are REAL bathrooms on the course if port a potties give you the jeebies. It's a strategy that's worked for me every single race. It'll take you slightly off course, but for me it's always worth it. (I think I've used the Critter Country bathrooms on the way out of the park every single year).

5. Take lots of pictures! Post them on Facebook! Impress your friends, and inspire them to try a Half with you! Then once they're hooked, they'll be all "Let's go on a destination race and it'll be a great bonding experience!" And you'll go "Yeah. You're welcome."
    Excellent ideas & wisdom! Yes, Prefer the Hungry Bear bathroom as opposed to the port-a-potties!!! Would rather get kidney damage then use one of them!!!

Hotel Recommendation and one other question?

My friend is a bit more cost conscious and can't afford the $300/night at the PP.
    Since I've never stayed off property except for the odd night at HoJos, which hotel would be a good (& safe) choice that we can walk to the starting line at 5am?

Also, since we are only doing the half marathon & we cant be there until Fri (we are faculty & can't get the Thurs off due to our strict schedule), can we still check in? It is not very clear how the check-in process goes...

Blog Entries

Any of the normal 'walk distance' hotels are fine for the half. If you're on Harbor, try to use the restroom in DTD on your way to the start. It'll be your last chance for a real one!

Re the expo and picking up bibs/etc. the Expo STARTS on Thursday and goes through Saturday (hours will be posted nearer race day). You'll have no problem picking up on Saturday. You may not be able to get the coveted 'official Items' in the runDisney official merchandise, but think of that as a cost savings! I DO recommend going as early as you can on Saturday. In the past, they've had 'issues' with shirt sizes running low, so better safe than sorry.

If they still have them and you like them, Disney usually has 'I Did It' shirts for purchase in the official merchandise. I always hesitate to get an 'I did it' shirt before I did actually finished the race, but you have to if you want one! What my sister and I do is buy each other out I Did It shirts, and then I didn't buy mine before the finish, and it's not tempting 'The Fates'!

Oh, it's considered 'bad form' to wear the race event shirt for the event, and ESPECIALLY an I did it shirt. But you wouldn't do that anyway, because when we said 'nothing new on race day', you knew we were talking about clothes, too!

Cathy

Excellent! Thank you so much!!!
    Any hotel preference?