Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New 10K added to 2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend, plus new C2C medal

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

New 10K added to 2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend, plus new C2C medal

runDisney is really capitalizing on this 10K distance, and has just announced a new Princess 10K for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon weekend. They've also created two new challenges - the Glass Slipper Challenge for those who want to run both the 10K and the Half Marathon, and a new Coast to Coast medal for runners who complete both the Tinker Bell Half Marathon in Disneyland and the Princess Half Marathon in Walt Disney World. No word if they will also add a 10K to the Tinker Bell weekend, but at this point it seems almost a given. We're also not sure if runners can earn both Coast to Coast medals in the same year now that they are different designs - I'm checking with runDisney on that.

Here's the press release from Disney:

Princess Half Marathon Weekend Adds New Race, New Challenge and New Medals

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA (April 26, 2013) Building on the success of its women-focused events, runDisney is broadening the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort next year by adding a 10K and a new two-race challenge.

The Princess 10K gives runners of various levels more opportunities to run through Disney theme parks and receive a specially-designed finisher medal. And runners looking for an even bigger challenge can sign up for the 10K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday (19.3 miles total) to earn the inaugural Disney Glass Slipper Challenge Medal to go along with medals from each individual race.

The Princess Half Marathon Weekend, scheduled for Feb. 20-23, is one of two women-focused runDisney events. The other is the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January at Disneyland Resort in California. Both races are among the largest women-specific running events in the country and focus on healthy active lifestyles for women and girls. For instance, after nearly 7,500 runners ran in the inaugural Princess Half Marathon event in 2009, the popularity of the race has grown considerably with more than 26,000 registered runners for last years race.

Also new in 2014 is a special edition runDisney Coast-to-Coast Race Challenge Medal for runners participating in the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland in January and the 2014 Princess Half Marathon five weeks later at Walt Disney World. Finishers receive the coveted medal featuring the likeness of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse with a pink overlay and lanyard.

Registration for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon opens June 11 at www.runDisney.com. A limited number of runners will have the opportunity to register for both the Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathon at that time. Those not securing an early registration for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon will have a second chance when on-line registration officially opens on July 9.

Both the Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekends include signature runDisney events including a health and fitness expo geared towards women, kids races, a family fun run 5K, as well as featured half marathons for both weekend.

For more information and to register for runDisney events, visit www.runDisney.com.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

I wish a trip to FL was in my budget!

I haven't seen the glass slipper medal yet, but I already know I want one!
    I've got to say, "Glass slipper challenge" has a nicer ring to it than "Dumbo double dare!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I've got to say, "Glass slipper challenge" has a nicer ring to it than "Dumbo double dare!"
    Agreed!

Do we have an idea of pricing yet?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmybear View Post
    Agreed!

Do we have an idea of pricing yet?
    I can't imagine it'd be TOO much different then the marathon weekend 10K and half, since those are the most recently released events - and they're on the same coast.
    Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They just keep reeling us in, don't they?

I'm heading to the RnR Nashville expo in an hour or so. Hopefully runDisney will be there and I'll see if I can get more details.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    They've also created two new challenges - the Glass Slipper Challenge for those who want to run both the 10K and the Half Marathon, and a new Coast to Coast medal for runners who complete both the Tinker Bell Half Marathon in Disneyland and the Princess Half Marathon in Walt Disney World.
    Wah!! I demand a retroactive medal for meeeeeee!!!! lol
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

runDisney posted this to their Facebook page:

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

La la la la la la la i can't hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm so doing this! I had already planned on Tink and Princess. What's an extra 10k?

I also have an email into runDisney wanting to find out how my Tink teammates will need to register for the WDW portion of the challenge since that won't be a charity team.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries

It's fun to be 'in the know'. I found the runDisney booth at the RnR Country Music expo this afternoon and asked about the big news of the day. That started a BIG "OH MY GOD" moment with a bunch of runners who hadn't yet heard about the new Enchanted 10k, Glass Slipper challenge or pink C2C. That news quickly spread until the booth was filled with "OH MY GOD - WHEN CAN I SIGN UP" people. Yes, expect this one to be BIG!

No new medals on display yet but 'very soon'.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Wah!! I demand a retroactive medal for meeeeeee!!!! lol
    Wouldn't that be nice? I missed the first C2C by a year. I had run the WDW Half and inaugural Disneyland in 2006. In 2007, they started the C2C. No back-tracking...
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Wouldn't that be nice? I missed the first C2C by a year. I had run the WDW Half and inaugural Disneyland in 2006. In 2007, they started the C2C. No back-tracking...
    I REALLY don't think I want to do a 10K and half-marathon one week after Dopey. Do I? I don't, right?
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Wait.

What happens to people who are doing the half or full at Walt Disney World? Normally they would get their Coast to Coast medals at Tinker Bell if they did those two.

So there's a SPECIAL one for Tink and Princess... so you get a SECOND C2C medal? That's pink?

Headless Chicken

I wonder if/when they'll announce a 10K addition to Tink...

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

That's a really pink medal... I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

- Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    I wonder if/when they'll announce a 10K addition to Tink...
    Maybe it will be called a Pixie Dust challenge?
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Blog Entries
    I REALLY don't think I want to do a 10K and half-marathon one week after Dopey. Do I? I don't, right?
    Ah but remember, no 10k has been mentioned (yet) for Tink. And yes, you DO very much want to do at least a half marathon the weekend after Dopey to get the original C2C medal AND qualify for the Pixie Dust C2C at Princess. Trust me. I'm right there with you.
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Ah but remember, no 10k has been mentioned (yet) for Tink. And yes, you DO very much want to do at least a half marathon the weekend after Dopey to get the original C2C medal AND qualify for the Pixie Dust C2C at Princess. Trust me. I'm right there with you.
    Oh boo... I was hoping I could earn the Pink C2C by doing Dopey and Tinkerbell in January. I don't have another FL trip in me (or my wallet) in February.
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Oh boo... I was hoping I could earn the Pink C2C by doing Dopey and Tinkerbell in January. I don't have another FL trip in me (or my wallet) in February.
    The way I interpreted it, the pink medal was specifically for Tink and Princess.

Blog Entries

Wait.

What happens to people who are doing the half or full at Walt Disney World? Normally they would get their Coast to Coast medals at Tinker Bell if they did those two.

So there's a SPECIAL one for Tink and Princess... so you get a SECOND C2C medal? That's pink?
    This is up for consideration by runDisney right now. First the answer was "nope. Just one c2c. But now they aren't certain"

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

Dang it, i was planning on doing princess for sure, i wasn't sure about Tink, I though maybe i'd just spectate and cheer. But NO but i'm going to have to do Tink and a 10k, I cant watch my friends walking around with all that pretty bling around their necks. I keep thinking "I'll just sit the next one out and cheer" but then disney pulls this crap and i find myself committing to yet another race or two or three..... I better get to bed so i can get up and run tomorrow.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    This is up for consideration by runDisney right now. First the answer was "nope. Just one c2c. But now they aren't certain"
    Well I sure hope they reconsider. Not after announcing both the 10K and Dopey for WDW first.

Blog Entries
    Well I sure hope they reconsider. Not after announcing both the 10K and Dopey for WDW first.
    I think they're going to have to. By not offering both C2C medals they are excluding a lot of people (me included) from even being able to obtain this medal.

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post

I also have an email into runDisney wanting to find out how my Tink teammates will need to register for the WDW portion of the challenge since that won't be a charity team.
    I was coming here to ask this exact question! Hopefully you get an answer soon

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunFamily4 View Post
    Dang it, i was planning on doing princess for sure, i wasn't sure about Tink, I though maybe i'd just spectate and cheer. But NO but i'm going to have to do Tink and a 10k, I cant watch my friends walking around with all that pretty bling around their necks. I keep thinking "I'll just sit the next one out and cheer" but then disney pulls this crap and i find myself committing to yet another race or two or three..... I better get to bed so i can get up and run tomorrow.
    I was planning on Tink and no Disneyland half next year, but ugghhhh I want this bling!!! 5 medals in 5 weeks...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post
    I was coming here to ask this exact question! Hopefully you get an answer soon

I was planning on Tink and no Disneyland half next year, but ugghhhh I want this bling!!! 5 medals in 5 weeks...
    TMM runners will register with the team and then when the open registration comes up for the Glass Slipper you will register for that separately. There will be a box to check that you are participating in the new C2C Challenge. BUT if you would rather register for the challenge when the do the early release, I would not be offended if you did that rather than running with the team next year. I understand how hard it is to get these coveted spots.