Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Little late to the game here, but my hubby and I are doing the 10k and the 5k (maybe would have done the half, but it is obviously sold out already and we didn't even try to sign up at the expo for the DL half). We just did the DL half this past weekend (I did the Dumbo Double Dare), and my hubby actually was the one to check the runDisney website about Tinkerbell when we got home. I'm addicted! I think I can only do Disney races now. This half was my 5th, but all my others have been Rock & Rolls. I loved the 10k course this weekend, with most of it going through the parks. I thought that runDisney did lots of things really well. So after a great experience this past weekend, we are all signed up for the Tinkerbell 10k. We were bummed that the kids races were already sold out, but we signed our 3 year old up for the 5k. She will be almost 4 at the time of the race and knowing her, we have no doubt thatshe can complete the race. After running in the kids races this weekend, she is already addicted to running for medals... There are definitely worse things to be addicted to, right?

Elizabeth & Matt, established 2008 *Katie born 2/2010 *Josie born 2/2012 *Jayson born 3/2015
    AP holder 2010-2016, Disneyland fan since the '80s
    WDW *1984 (or maybe 1983), *2013

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eabaldwin View Post
    Little late to the game here, but my hubby and I are doing the 10k and the 5k (maybe would have done the half, but it is obviously sold out already and we didn't even try to sign up at the expo for the DL half). We just did the DL half this past weekend (I did the Dumbo Double Dare), and my hubby actually was the one to check the runDisney website about Tinkerbell when we got home.
    Charity teams still have spots for the Half. You know that, right?

Just trying to be helpful.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ok, add me to the half and the 10K. I had so much fun doing the Disneyland 10K that I talked my DH and DD (13) into doing the Tink 10K together as a family. DH already said he WOULD NOT be dressing with wings.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

I'm doing the half (dang you runDisney and the pink C2C medal). We signed DH and the girls up for the 10k at the expo.

I'm hooked too. Loved my first 10k last weekend. I ran the first 5 miles pretty well, then waited for my sister to catch up for the photo op with Alice and the Mad Hatter, then we finished together. I didn't think dh would be up for letting me do the Tink 10K but he said to go for it if I want to. I'm not signed up yet, but hopefully it's not sold out by next week after we get paid. Hopefully I can find a cheap room nearby since I'll probably be on my own this time. My whole family came up this past weekend because I'm still nursing my 9 month old, but it was too crowded for dh and the drive back to San Diego took 3.5 hours and was miserable.

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was on the fence about the Tink 10k until this weekend. I enjoyed the DL 10k so much that I'm so in for Tink.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I was on the fence about the Tink 10k until this weekend. I enjoyed the DL 10k so much that I'm so in for Tink.
    Apparently you aren't alone. Registration for both the Tink 10k and Never Land 5k jumped to over 90% capacity over the weekend.

If you are thinking about how wonderful it would be to run in January weather through Disneyland and DCA, make sure you register as soon as possible before the window closes!
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Please stop saying how great the 10K course is. I am tempted to sign up, and that will be back to back 10K/half marathon two weekends in a row...

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Please stop saying how great the 10K course is. I am tempted to sign up, and that will be back to back 10K/half marathon two weekends in a row...
    Imagine a little Tinker Bell on your shoulder whispering... do it... do it... inaugural 10k ...
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They'll probably change the course for the Tink 10K.

(Hope that helps!)
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry. I am in a similar boat with Donald, Tink then Glass Slipper. I really didn't want to do the Tink 10k, but the DL 10k was just SO DARN FUN! I can say with confidence that it is the most fun I have ever had on a course. Seriously. SO fun.

Headless Chicken
    I'm not gonna lie - the 10K course was beyond awesome. Sorry. :P
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fairest -- do you think a lot of the fun was the distance -- plus the fact that it was longer than a 5K, so people did get spread out more than the 5Ks?
    I really like the 10K distance, it's not as short as a 5K (which is almost a sprint for the long distances), but not requiring the training of a half.

Cathy

Blog Entries

2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Fairest -- do you think a lot of the fun was the distance -- plus the fact that it was longer than a 5K, so people did get spread out more than the 5Ks?
    I really like the 10K distance, it's not as short as a 5K (which is almost a sprint for the long distances), but not requiring the training of a half.
    It was definitely the distance and my confidence in this distance. I knew I wasn't going for time and that I was capable of staying well under pace. As it turns out, between the heat and us goofing around we just about stayed at pace. I finished feeling excellent (other than nasty sweaty) and it was the first time since May I had gone more than 2 miles without pain.

I'm officially in for the 10K

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

I LOVED the distance and the course. For the first two miles you could get out, stretch your legs and get the blood flowing. Then, once you hit the parks, you could just futz around--take pictures, rest in lines, PRACERCIZE and just overall enjoy a morning in the park.

I'm registered for both. Can't wait! I really enjoyed the Tinkerbell Half last year, the course is easier in my opinion than the Disneyland Half. See you there!

You can read my recap on last years event here:
    Part 1
    Part 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    I LOVED the distance and the course. For the first two miles you could get out, stretch your legs and get the blood flowing. Then, once you hit the parks, you could just futz around--take pictures, rest in lines, PRACERCIZE and just overall enjoy a morning in the park.
    DisneyFunFamily4 has an official photo of her prancercizing! It's pretty rad.

Okay, so I have a LOT more training to do! That was HARD for me. I know if I did 1/2 marathons 10k would seem like nothing. And I'm doing a 5K this Friday and considering it "easy" (at least until I get out there). But I seriously almost had to stop at 3 miles during the 10k and I was on pace (i.e. not trying to do too much and not dehydrated). I'm not sure if I have a 1/2 in me.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    And your issue is...? ;-)
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    Okay, so I have a LOT more training to do! That was HARD for me. I know if I did 1/2 marathons 10k would seem like nothing. And I'm doing a 5K this Friday and considering it "easy" (at least until I get out there). But I seriously almost had to stop at 3 miles during the 10k and I was on pace (i.e. not trying to do too much and not dehydrated). I'm not sure if I have a 1/2 in me.
    It was hard for us all! That heat and humidity were awful.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    DisneyFunFamily4 has an official photo of her prancercizing! It's pretty rad.
    We did prancerize down main street, TWICE! I was cracking up when i saw the pic.

If i didn't have to do the half to get the pink C2C i'd totally be in for the 10k. But I'll just do the half and be a happy camper. No reason to do both. (hey look at me, I'm saying no to peer pressure. )

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

1- I need to check my pictures.

2- I think part of why the 10k course was great was that it was pretty flat. Remember, the Tink start & corrals are the opposite direction from DL, so I'll bet the Tink 10k might have a overpass (or 2). I also really liked going through the Convention Center. No traffic, decent cheering.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Agreed agreed agreed on the DL 10K! It was a blast, I was shocked at how much fun it was! I kept saying "I didn't make great time, but I had a great time!!" (Little shout out to Cars haha).
    Anyway, I'm game for the Tink 5K and 10K. I'm not confident with my earlier stress fracture for a half yet, but I'm tackling the Dumbo next year.

And I know a lot of people are angry the 5K is on Friday, but I'm thrilled and here's why...THE EXPO!!! With everyone this past weekend having to check in on the same day, it was a disaster. Hopefully spacing the races out with space the expo out and won't be as big of a disaster. Sorry to those of you that it upset!

I hope the course for the 10K is still in the parks quite a bit, that's the fun part!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    1- I need to check my pictures.

2- I think part of why the 10k course was great was that it was pretty flat. Remember, the Tink start & corrals are the opposite direction from DL, so I'll bet the Tink 10k might have a overpass (or 2). I also really liked going through the Convention Center. No traffic, decent cheering.
    Flat or not, that race was a blast. It really was a relax and enjoy event for HB, my sister and I.