Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Looks like it's business as usual on pricing for the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend of events. Yup. Prices went up for the half (Inaugural event in 2012 was $120 - 2013 was $150) and the 5k (from $65 to $70). Surprise!

Do take note there is no mention or pricing on the runDisney site of a 10k for 2014.

Remember, registration opens Tuesday July 9th @ 9:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 p.m. EST. Last year the half marathon sold out in one month and the 5k sold out in just under three months. Given the crazy rate that runDisney events are selling out this year (and the pre-sales that have already happened for the half marathon), I would expect the 2014 Tinker Bell event to move even faster than last year so don't delay!

Entry Fees and Deadlines

Tinker Bell Half Marathon

•$175 by August 13, 2013
    •$190 between August 14 and October 15, 2013
    •$205 on or after October 16, 2013

Never Land Family Fun Run 5K

•$70 per participant

runDisney Kids Races

•Dashes : $20 per child

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Better $70 than the Inaugural $90 5k-- but that at least included a ticket... not that a lot of the runners could use it. :/

I'm in for the Half Marathon, and if they add a 10k Challenge to it, I'm in for that too!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Doc and I are both in for the Half, both of us with Team Muscle Makers. I got him to agree to a fundraising strategy and signed him up before he could change his mind. We're going to ask M's coach if he can run it. If he says yes, we might - MIGHT sign M up, but we'll pay his way in.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Kevin and I both plan to sign up for the half, the old-fashioned way, though I'm hoping for some sort of AP or Disney Visa pre-registration. Kevin is threatening to wear wings. We also plan to sign up the cubs for the kids' races.

You all are getting me hooked on this racing thing!

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Kevin and I both plan to sign up for the half, the old-fashioned way, though I'm hoping for some sort of AP or Disney Visa pre-registration. Kevin is threatening to wear wings. We also plan to sign up the cubs for the kids' races.

Excellent - our evil plan is working...

I've pinged runDisney to see if they can share any details of an early AP / Visa / DVC registration opportunity for Tinker Bell (which if there is one should be next week). I'll post an update when I hear back.
    RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adriennek, didn't your DH dress up (sort of) like Peter Pan one year for Tink? You should share that with *Nala*!

Cathy

Active shows a possible 10k- or at least they plan to sell a 10k pin. Doesn't show a challenge pin. Seems like it might just be the addition of a 10k with no challenge.

Either way, I'm in for at least the half.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmybear View Post
    Active shows a possible 10k- or at least they plan to sell a 10k pin. Doesn't show a challenge pin. Seems like it might just be the addition of a 10k with no challenge.

Either way, I'm in for at least the half.
    I'm betting either Active.com messed up (not a stretch to assume) or the 10k was part of the plan but didn't go through this go around and Active.com hasn't cleaned everything up yet. Unless runDisney is going to pull a really big surprise when registration opens that's not currently listed on the Tinker Bell runDisney site, I'm betting not in 2014 (but if we're really good and ask nice, maybe in 2015). They probably figure there will be enough of a feeding frenzy to get into Tinker Bell to secure either 2014 C2C medal so why add it unless you need to drive registration numbers.
    RunningFool

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ok, so I have an opinion to share: If your Kevin wants to dress up, believe me, I'm not one at all to discourage him. (see below)

But.

May I just say that the #1 most horrifically obnoxious thing about the Tinker Bell Half is the *#&$#(*##$%@@&@*@ Wings.

They're awful.

People don't realize how much those things get in the way because the wings are BEHIND them. So they don't realize how much those frick frack things are hitting people as they pass in tight spaces. And where are they? Why, they're EYE LEVEL!!! So right and left I'm getting whacked by other people's WINGS and they don't realize it.

I remember the first Tink it was worse than the second Tink and the whole first half of the race Doc and I were GRIPING about the GOSH DIDDLY DARN WINGS and how much we hated them.

This opinion has been really cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Adriennek, didn't your DH dress up (sort of) like Peter Pan one year for Tink? You should share that with *Nala*!
    Yes, my Kevin did sort of dress inspired by Peter Pan - Green shirt and pants and black compression tights, green hat with a red feather in it the first year (I forgot this year and we couldn't find the red feather, so he just wore the hat this year.) Mostly because this was the most I could get him to do.

As for what will Doc be wearing in 2014? I'm not saying, yet. But, uh, well, see post #3 above...
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

Those who wear wings also don't realize that said wings will not only be getting in the way of other runners but also will be repeatidly smacking them in the back for 13.1 miles. Not to mention the potential for chaffing and/ or brusing from where the wings attach. Cute and probably managable for a 5k. Miserable for a half marathon. I can't tell you the # of broken wings seen dumped along the race course that you'll see from frustrated participants.

Like Adriennek, I noticed fewer actual wings in year two at Tinker and many more t-shirts with wings printed on the back instead.

RunningFool

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Do take note there is no mention or pricing on the runDisney site of a 10k for 2014.
    I noticed that, and I also noticed that Active.com DOES list a 10K on their registration website, with pricing.

We all know how well-secured the Active site is, so I've been doing periodic site searches hoping to find exactly this.

Fees

Tinker Bell Half Marathon
    $175.00 on or before August 13, 2013
    $190.00 between August 14, 2013 October 15, 2013
    $205.00 on or after October 16, 2013

Tinker Bell 10K

$95.00 on or before August 13, 2013
    $110.00 between August 14, 2013 October 15, 2013
    $125.00 on or after October 16, 2013

Never Land Family Fun Run 5K

$70.00 per participant

runDisney Kids Races

$20.00 per Kids Dash participant

A few other things I noticed:
    • No mention of race dates - we don't know when the 5K, 10K and 1/2 will be run
    • No mention of a "challenge," which makes me fear the 10K might be on the same day as the 1/2.

As always, we'll keep watching for early registration news.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I noticed that, and I also noticed that Active.com DOES list a 10K on their registration website, with pricing.
    Interesting...will be fun to watch this one play out. One thing they will have to address if there is a 10k AND there is a challenge is how they will handle those of us who already pre-registered for Tinker through the Princess (for that pink C2C medal) and would want to get in on a challenge. I can only imagine the mess that may be...
    RunningFool

Interesting...will be fun to watch this one play out. One thing they will have to address if there is a 10k AND there is a challenge is how they will handle those of us who already pre-registered for Tinker through the Princess (for that pink C2C medal) and would want to get in on a challenge. I can only imagine the mess that may be...
    I'm guessing if there is a 10k, there won't be a challenge- eliminating the hassle to upgrade the people who pre-registered for Tink.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Ohhhhh but think of the bling...
    Bling, more registration money out of my pocket - or even MORE time spent begging other people to donate to a charity fundraiser.

Dear runDisney: Thanks but I'm already tapped out. Could you just give us a break already?

They've already pushed and pushed and they're charging $175 for a Half alone - now they're adding more races and getting them all sold out as inaugural events. Will that momentum last? Maybe. Is there OBVIOUSLY a demand for their supply if they're selling out that fast? Yep, there is.

I wonder how long the momentum will carry over beyond the inaugural events. It might sell out quickly for a while but I wonder at what point will it start to slow down - or even backfire on them.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, fatigued and burned out by all these extra events. And the pressure to step up to the plate and do more more more, keep up with the others, etc? It's not so pleasant. I remember Doc and others talking about how discouraging it was to walk around WDW wearing their Donald medals when others had their Marathon and Goofy medals on. I don't want to feel less than because I "only" choose to do ONE race instead of the whole kit and caboodle.

Bling is great. But is the stress and emotional drama worth it? eh.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Bling, more registration money out of my pocket - or even MORE time spent begging other people to donate to a charity fundraiser.

Dear runDisney: Thanks but I'm already tapped out. Could you just give us a break already?

They've already pushed and pushed and they're charging $175 for a Half alone - now they're adding more races and getting them all sold out as inaugural events. Will that momentum last? Maybe. Is there OBVIOUSLY a demand for their supply if they're selling out that fast? Yep, there is.

I wonder how long the momentum will carry over beyond the inaugural events. It might sell out quickly for a while but I wonder at what point will it start to slow down - or even backfire on them.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, fatigued and burned out by all these extra events. And the pressure to step up to the plate and do more more more, keep up with the others, etc? It's not so pleasant. I remember Doc and others talking about how discouraging it was to walk around WDW wearing their Donald medals when others had their Marathon and Goofy medals on. I don't want to feel less than because I "only" choose to do ONE race instead of the whole kit and caboodle.

Bling is great. But is the stress and emotional drama worth it? eh.
    Well said Adrienne.

Blog Entries
    As always, we'll keep watching for early registration news.
    Speaking of keeping tabs on things, how is the foot?
    RunningFool

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    No mention of race dates - we don't know when the 5K, 10K and 1/2 will be run
    No mention of a "challenge," which makes me fear the 10K might be on the same day as the 1/2.
    I'd be relieved if the 10K were the same day. Potential for chaos? Yes. But I'm doing the Half and, frankly, I'd rather not have any pressure to have to do ANOTHER challenge and ANOTHER inaugural event.

Blog Entries
    I'd be relieved if the 10K were the same day. Potential for chaos? Yes. But I'm doing the Half and, frankly, I'd rather not have any pressure to have to do ANOTHER challenge and ANOTHER inaugural event.
    Ohhhhh but think of the bling...
    RunningFool

I think he was joking about the wings, but very good points, and I can imagine how it would be annoying to both the runner and those around. I will pass that on if necessary. But my guess is it was more a statement about him being secure enough to run a "women's" race.

10k or no, we "just" plan to do the half. I'm not at a point in training where I'm ready for back to back races, and I'm not getting enough sleep in my normal life to get up at oh dark two days straight. Interested to see what happens though.

Blog Entries
    I think he was joking about the wings, but very good points, and I can imagine how it would be annoying to both the runner and those around. I will pass that on if necessary. But my guess is it was more a statement about him being secure enough to run a "women's" race.
    Could be worse. The Diva's races have a 'tiara and feather boa' station about a half mile from the finish where everyone picks up a sparktly tiara and hot pink feather boa that is worn to the finish!

Fewer guys seemed to be 'bugged' by the 'women's race' designation and are joining in the fun although they are still a minority (Princess had just under 1500 male vs 21000 female finishers). I talked to a friend who is working on his Tinker Bell legacy designation and his opinion is if you're a guy looking to spend a morning surrounded by fit, athletic women, Tinker and Princess can't be beat!
    RunningFool

Loving my sweet pea.

Adrienne I think you'll have a rest next year, isn't the Dl half 10th in 2015?

Oh fairest, I'm sorry to have created sadness! It did pain me to say no but I feel completely at peace with my decision at present. I'm not exercising which isn't a good thing but I've been quite productive on some needed projects and a little freer to enjoy my babies without being quite as sleep deprived. I'm looking forward to training again for w&d, but also really needed the break emotionally. However my sister is doing both Dumbo and Glass slipper and I'm disappointed to not join her.

Yes, I'm quite pleased that I don't have the pressure of Dumbo right now. All smiles here!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THpoohbear View Post
    Adrienne I think you'll have a rest next year, isn't the Dl half 10th in 2015?
    You are correct. 2015 is the 10th running (and it's also Disneyland's 60th birthday year as well). That should be some party!
    RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You are correct. 2015 is the 10th running (and it's also Disneyland's 60th birthday year as well). That should be some party!
    And I had vowed to "quit" running the DL half after 2014 (when I'm doing all of the Disney half marathons). Well, I guess not. I'm a sucker.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    And I had vowed to "quit" running the DL half after 2014 (when I'm doing all of the Disney half marathons). Well, I guess not. I'm a sucker.
    We all are. Welcome to the club.
    RunningFool

Ok, so I have an opinion to share: If your Kevin wants to dress up, believe me, I'm not one at all to discourage him. (see below)

May I just say that the #1 most horrifically obnoxious thing about the Tinker Bell Half is the *#&$#(*##$%@@&@*@ Wings.
    Those who wear wings also don't realize that said wings will not only be getting in the way of other runners but also will be repeatidly smacking them in the back for 13.1 miles. Not to mention the potential for chaffing and/ or brusing from where the wings attach. Cute and probably managable for a 5k. Miserable for a half marathon. I can't tell you the # of broken wings seen dumped along the race course that you'll see from frustrated participants.
    I'm probably in the minority here, but for my part, I loved wearing my wings for Tink! Now, I did bend the top part of the wings (to be more aerodynamic, haha). Now, the wings probably gave me about 2-3 inches of "width" on either side. but I would say that is a reasonable expectation of personal space (I think I tend to swing my arms even wider). And I also want to add that this is the FIRST race (no exaggeration) that I didn't get bumped/shoved/elbowed/punched (yah, "accidentally" punched in the back at 2011 Princess - by a passing Prince Charming - so hard that it knocked the wind out of me) by passing runners. For Tink, I didn't have to do much passing, and I didn't get passed much (for some reason they put me in corral A, and I hung in the back of that crowd, which probably accounts for the less crowded conditions).

But all that said, I swear, the wings really put me in the spirit of the race. And no, I never, ever, ever felt them (they were really light; my DH tied them to my sports bra, and pined the wings to my top where I bent them backwards). Every once in a while, I'd see them in my peripheral vision, and even when I was tired I would think "I can fly, I can fly, I can fly!!

So if I do Tink next year I'll definitely wear my wings. But I do promise not to bump anyone with them (if you are close enough to bump/shove/elbow/punch me, you're probably gonna get an eyeful of wing...but at least I'll apologize ).

Wings.jpg
    (Not too wide?)
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!