Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Coast to Coast Strategy for 2015

Coast to Coast Strategy for 2015

Alrighty runners,

I'm completing my first half this year with the Disneyland Half Marathon in August (actually doing DDD). Anyway, my plan for 2015 is to get the coast to coast, and then I'm done! I cannot get addicted to these races like everyone else! But I do want to have a nice collection of medals
    Anyway, my question is which half should I do out in WDW? I'm gonna be honest, the Wine and Dine does not interest me, so it's either the Princess or the WDW Half. I'm leaning more towards the WDW half, because I'm going to do the Tink Half in May and don't necessarily want to do 2 women's emphasis races. The others seem to be just as fun. So, which of the routes in WDW is more fun?

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've done both courses (Princess and WDW are the same) and I have to say that I like the W&D course about one hundred times better than the WDW/PHM course. I don't love the night running aspect, but there is something to be said for NOT having to get up at 2:30 in the morning on vacation and, instead, partying until 2:30am after you finish the race. I'd do W&D again in a heartbeat even though I do not love running at night. I'm doing PHM in a couple of weeks and it will be my 3rd time on this course. I have to say, I'm not terribly excited about the course itself. It's rather boring compared to other Disney courses and it offers the least amount of in park running time.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I don't love the night running aspect, but there is something to be said for NOT having to get up at 2:30 in the morning on vacation and, instead, partying until 2:30am after you finish the race. .
    Yes! This!! (The pain of 3am wake up calls for Dopey has not faded from memory yet!)

I do enjoy the WDW Half Course as well, although to be honest I do not recall much difference between PHM (2011) and WDW HM (2014). One thing I did miss in the W&D HM was running through MK.
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both Princess and WDW half go over the 'cloverleaf from heck' About mile 10? when you get off the road from the MK and take the left (that's really a right cloverleaf) up and over the road you were on to go into Epcot - that cloverleaf was murder on my feet (ripped my substantial blisters on the ball area of my feet) and the sloping in two directions of the road was really tough on my legs. (and I think now my hips would be even more upset with that, as I'm a few years older). W&D doesn't go over that.

The Expo is bigger for WDW half, since it's got the full marathon, too - but some of the vendors don't make it to WDW half since it's a lot more expensive to get a booth.

The biggest negative in my book for the WDW half is that your longest runs are right over Christmas.

What about W&D knocked it off your list? I was not a fan of the night racing - though in all honesty, it probably wouldn't have been quite so negative if we hadn't been flying home on Sunday. TOTALLY inadequate sleep.

Temps COULD be cold for WDW weekend, but doubtful for Princess. (One year, I think 2010 because I did 2009, they had sleet during the half) Or it could be really nice for both, or hot (especially depending on where you live). Princess has greater chance of being HOT, too.

Basically, I'm no help.

Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing to consider.

If you are looking for the experience of running Main Street and through Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom, go with WDW in January. If you are looking for a chance to run the WDW parks and don't care about the castle, go with W&D.

Of course, if the rumors are true and there will be a new half marathon at Disneyland in late January/ early February 2015, what will that do to your C2C plans?

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries

Coast to Coast Strategy for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Of course, if the rumors are true and there will be a new half marathon at Disneyland in late January/ early February 2015, what will that do to your C2C plans?
    Rumors? What rumors? 
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 02-05-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Rumors? What rumors?
    So buzz is that the reason Tinker moved to May is to make room for a new half marathon in Disneyland. Puts a bit more separation between the 'women-centric' races as well. Tinker would have had to have moved anyway due to NAMM moving to Tinker's traditional weekend in January as they can't be on the same weekend due to the crowds and hotel demands.

We'll see but something to keep an ear out for.
    RunningFool

oh dear, DON'T say that. I can't get addicted to these races!!
    I don't know why the W&D didn't appeal to me, it just doesn't seem as "Disney" as the other 2 races. It does sound like it would be easier to run at night though, I can't imagine getting up so early for WDW races (I stay across the street at DL, so I can literally just get up 30 minutes before). I suppose if I did the W&D this year, I could get my C2C and not worry about it next year. I'm headed out to WDW for a week in March, so it may be hard to get out there this year anyway. You guys have given me a lot to think about though. This will be my only WDW run though, so I'm kind of wanting to have the experience of running through the castle…sounds like those are harder to run though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    oh dear, DON'T say that. I can't get addicted to these races!!
    I don't know why the W&D didn't appeal to me, it just doesn't seem as "Disney" as the other 2 races. It does sound like it would be easier to run at night though, I can't imagine getting up so early for WDW races (I stay across the street at DL, so I can literally just get up 30 minutes before). I suppose if I did the W&D this year, I could get my C2C and not worry about it next year. I'm headed out to WDW for a week in March, so it may be hard to get out there this year anyway. You guys have given me a lot to think about though. This will be my only WDW run though, so I'm kind of wanting to have the experience of running through the castle…sounds like those are harder to run though.
    I think you will find with W&D fewer first-timers (although there are many) than the daytime runDisney half marathons but it is just as "Disney" as the rest. Just different. The view at night is always so beautiful and you have one more awesome opportunity that you don't at the others - you get to run through the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights display in all it's glory. It's a 'wow'.

And remember, 2014 W&D is a 5th year anniversary. Special medals...
    RunningFool

W&D is my favorite runDisney half marathon, hands down. Love the race and after party plus it's held at an awesome time (imho) to be at WDW, the Food and Wine Festival! It does feel like more of a 'grown up' race (we usually leave the kids home for this one). I don't know, have had the best times at WDW for this event.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ok, so I have some different perspective to share:

Re: WDW weekend, on the one hand, it's going to be a BIG DEAL weekend. But - The big deal isn't Donald. It's Goofy. And maybe Dopey if they do it again. And it's going to be very busy and crowded. (I'm doing it and on some levels, sort of dreading the crowds of it.)

Like Drince88 said, some of the vendors who can't afford WDW will be at the Expos for a smaller race like Princess. And the big deal will be the half - you won't be overshadowed by the other distances. And if you did the 10K, you could get the challenge medal and, in one trip, come home with THREE medals instead of just one or two if you did the 10K at the WDW weekend.

So if it were me and my husband wasn't going for 2015 Goofy, I might go for the Princess instead.

But. I have to admit: I'd kinda like to do Wine & Dine sometime and have an excuse to get back there during Wine & Dine at Epcot. Live to eat.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Ok, so I have some different perspective to share:

Re: WDW weekend, on the one hand, it's going to be a BIG DEAL weekend. But - The big deal isn't Donald. It's Goofy. And maybe Dopey if they do it again. And it's going to be very busy and crowded. (I'm doing it and on some levels, sort of dreading the crowds of it.)

Like Drince88 said, some of the vendors who can't afford WDW will be at the Expos for a smaller race like Princess. And the big deal will be the half - you won't be overshadowed by the other distances. And if you did the 10K, you could get the challenge medal and, in one trip, come home with THREE medals instead of just one or two if you did the 10K at the WDW weekend.

So if it were me and my husband wasn't going for 2015 Goofy, I might go for the Princess instead.

But. I have to admit: I'd kinda like to do Wine & Dine sometime and have an excuse to get back there during Wine & Dine at Epcot. Live to eat.
    I didn't think the crowds were horrible for WDW Marathon weekend. It didn't feel anything at all like Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend.

I see your validity with Princess, getting more bling for your buck, and I'll have my opinion on that very soon.

Still, the W&D course is SO MUCH MORE FUN than the Donald/Princess course. I'm probably doing the full marathon in 2015 and I really would love to do the Goofy Challenge, but honestly, I dislike that Donald/Princess course enough to deter me from Goofy. It's bad, I know.

Force is strong in this one
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Yes! This!! (The pain of 3am wake up calls for Dopey has not faded from memory yet!)
    You don't have to wake up at 3AM if you just don't go to bed.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    You don't have to wake up at 3AM if you just don't go to bed.
    Ha! Of course that would be your rationale! LOL.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I didn't think the crowds were horrible for WDW Marathon weekend. It didn't feel anything at all like Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend.
    I'm glad to hear that. I'm afraid 2015 is going to be nuts for the Goofy anniversary, though. I personally know SO many people going. (Actually, I think for me personally, it's going to be super nuts because there are going to be SO many people I want to see and spend time with while I'm there that it will be impossible to do everything I want to do.)

I see your validity with Princess, getting more bling for your buck, and I'll have my opinion on that very soon.
    It's all about the bling, my friend. ALL about the bling. (The other thing is that "walking around after the race with my Donald medal while other people have Marathon or Goofy or Dopey inferiority complex" issues.)

Still, the W&D course is SO MUCH MORE FUN than the Donald/Princess course.
    I want to do this one some day. I really do. I do have to say that Tink is my favorite course. I know in my head that WDW is "all on property" and on some levels that's supposed to be more special. But when "on property" means UP this long highway to that far away park and then back down this long highway and up and down the overpasses to the park again - I find Tink with almost 6 miles on property and then meandering through neighborhoods to be a lovely course.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear that. I'm afraid 2015 is going to be nuts for the Goofy anniversary, though. I personally know SO many people going. (Actually, I think for me personally, it's going to be super nuts because there are going to be SO many people I want to see and spend time with while I'm there that it will be impossible to do everything I want to do.)

It's all about the bling, my friend. ALL about the bling. (The other thing is that "walking around after the race with my Donald medal while other people have Marathon or Goofy or Dopey inferiority complex" issues.)

I want to do this one some day. I really do. I do have to say that Tink is my favorite course. I know in my head that WDW is "all on property" and on some levels that's supposed to be more special. But when "on property" means UP this long highway to that far away park and then back down this long highway and up and down the overpasses to the park again - I find Tink with almost 6 miles on property and then meandering through neighborhoods to be a lovely course.
    1. I totally get that. It's for that reason that I DON'T want to go. I'm afraid that our week long family vacation will be filled with running and meet ups and be no fun for the kids.

2. I'm not a princess-y type so the bling is just bonus. I'm excited for an inaugural challenge and a girls trip.

3. Tink as my favorite course, until I ran W&D. I loved that you started at WWoS and ran (on fresh excited legs) for three miles before you hit AK. You only had about a mile in AK and then you headed back on the highway to DHS. I think we were in DHS for about three miles? Then you took the canal route towards the Boardwalk to Epcot. It seemed like you were always "going somewhere" and it wasn't too far in between destinations. Then the after party? Yes! I was SO SO tired but so happy to have a margarita RIGHT THERE! Before my shower, before anything else, I had my margarita! But I do love Tink, don't get me wrong.

I loved that you started at WWoS and ran (on fresh excited legs) for three miles before you hit AK. You only had about a mile in AK and then you headed back on the highway to DHS. I think we were in DHS for about three miles? Then you took the canal route towards the Boardwalk to Epcot. It seemed like you were always "going somewhere" and it wasn't too far in between destinations. Then the after party? Yes! I was SO SO tired but so happy to have a margarita RIGHT THERE! Before my shower, before anything else, I had my margarita! But I do love Tink, don't get me wrong.
    Couldn't have said it better, except that there is something amazing about running through the Osborne Lights at DHS - so very cool!

And I love that you prioritize a margarita before shower - a gal after my own heart! Must meet one day at La Cava!
    Kim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Couldn't have said it better, except that there is something amazing about running through the Osborne Lights at DHS - so very cool!

And I love that you prioritize a margarita before shower - a gal after my own heart! Must meet one day at La Cava!
    Yes! Osborne was amazing and a huge time suck during the race. I ran up and then stood to the side in awe. We took lots of pictures there and didn't mind the extra time it tacked on to our run.

We will absolutely have to meet at La Cava one day! Maybe after W&D this year? Of course, you'll have had three margaritas by the time I finish the race! Ha! That's OK, you can have a cold one waiting for me.

Snap dragon. All this love for the W&D is making me rethink my decision to pass on it in favor of the Marine Corps...it sounds like a wonderful run.

Blog Entries

If you want to know a bit more about the weekend, here are the 2012 and 2013 W&D recaps.

RunningFool

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

I have not done WDW or Princess yet so i cant comment on that course but I did really enjoy W&D. We also had SO much fun on that trip, I love my kids but W&D without kids was a blast. I remember how happy i was when I realized we would not be getting up at 3am to run. For me staying up till 4am was much easier.

this is why i dont know if i want to do any races. I was thinking i would maybe do just the 10K but the only reason i would consider doing the 1/2 is for the bling (C2C) and merchandise. I'm not sure what DH is thinking for this. If we had a endless supply of funds he'd sign up for Dopey but we'll see. He might "just" do the full. Your DH is doing the full right? DD13 will be 14 and she could do the half get her C2C in 2015.

1. I totally get that. It's for that reason that I DON'T want to go. I'm afraid that our week long family vacation will be filled with running and meet ups and be no fun for the kids.

2. I'm not a princess-y type so the bling is just bonus. I'm excited for an inaugural challenge and a girls trip.

3. Tink as my favorite course, until I ran W&D. I loved that you started at WWoS and ran (on fresh excited legs) for three miles before you hit AK. You only had about a mile in AK and then you headed back on the highway to DHS. I think we were in DHS for about three miles? Then you took the canal route towards the Boardwalk to Epcot. It seemed like you were always "going somewhere" and it wasn't too far in between destinations. Then the after party? Yes! I was SO SO tired but so happy to have a margarita RIGHT THERE! Before my shower, before anything else, I had my margarita! But I do love Tink, don't get me wrong.
    I see you are once again talking about doing the full you crazy girl. I'll be at the finish line cheering you on and I think I'll have to have a giant pitchers of margaritas waiting for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunFamily4 View Post
    I see you are once again talking about doing the full you crazy girl. I'll be at the finish line cheering you on and I think I'll have to have a giant pitchers of margaritas waiting for everyone.
    Gah! Not ruling it out. Two weeks after Princess Dan and I are going to go on a really long (for me) run. I'm thinking somewhere between 16 and 18 miles. If I finish it feeling about the same as I would after a half then I'll register. If I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck, and then put in reverse and run over again, I'm pretty sure that will be my indication that I have no business doing it.

Oh my gosh, you guys have convinced me. I never ever would've guessed that was everyone's favorite route! The hype for it just seemed less exciting than the other 2! I think I'll do the W&D this year! Of course, I should've planned better because I'm doing a week in WDW in March for vacation, so 2 trips out there this year will be a little tough, but I'll make it work! Especially hearing that there will be special medals! Darn those medals!!
    Ok, so here are a few more questions: rundisney.com isn't updated yet with the 2014 W&D. Why not? Really, the thing that convinced me was the Osbourne lights. I've never seen WDW at Christmas time, by that weekend, is the rest of the Christmas decor ready to go around the other parks? Christmas in DL doesn't usually start until the second week of November or so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    Oh my gosh, you guys have convinced me. I never ever would've guessed that was everyone's favorite route! The hype for it just seemed less exciting than the other 2! I think I'll do the W&D this year! Of course, I should've planned better because I'm doing a week in WDW in March for vacation, so 2 trips out there this year will be a little tough, but I'll make it work! Especially hearing that there will be special medals! Darn those medals!!
    Ok, so here are a few more questions: rundisney.com isn't updated yet with the 2014 W&D. Why not? Really, the thing that convinced me was the Osbourne lights. I've never seen WDW at Christmas time, by that weekend, is the rest of the Christmas decor ready to go around the other parks? Christmas in DL doesn't usually start until the second week of November or so.
    Remember, W&D is now the second weekend of November. Christmas decorations are up and you can even attend the Christmas Party (ticket event) in the Magic Kingdom on Friday night!

runDisney tends to take their time updating dates on their site but the dates have been published in all the official races guides up to this point. They have, on rare occasion, changed dates after publishing but that has only happened once (it was a Princess race) that I can recall.
    RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You won't get the Holiday ending to Illuminations, the Holiday Storytellers around Epcot, nor Candlelight in Epcot until after Thanksgiving. And I think they're still delaying the tree in MK until after the parade taping, but the castle is all lit up pretty (and they actually have a cute 'lighting show').

Cathy