Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Geocaching in Disneyland Parks?

Geocaching in Disneyland Parks?

Just wondering if there are any Geocaching spots in Disneyland.

I have a feeling that hiding a little treasure box in the park is probably frowned upon but was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Just wondering if there are any Geocaching spots in Disneyland.

I have a feeling that hiding a little treasure box in the park is probably frowned upon but was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.
    There are, and they are REALLY frowned upon. There have been at least two incidents in my memory where Downtown Disney was closed and the bomb squad called due to a suspicious package that turned out to be someone's Geocache.

Most of the Geocache sites now warn against putting boxes on Disney property, and instead recommend you mark a "virtual" location.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

i know nothing about these, dont know how big they are. But you could easily hide a little box in a planter in tomorrowland or behind a shelf in a store. People arent paying as close attention to you as you might assume in the park.

I was going to say the same thing, AVP, when I saw the thread title. There have been other threads as well SJ.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da Man View Post
    i know nothing about these, dont know how big they are. But you could easily hide a little box in a planter in tomorrowland or behind a shelf in a store. People arent paying as close attention to you as you might assume in the park.
    This is such a bad idea I can't let it stand without comment. "People" may not be paying attention, but if one of these things is found, it WILL trigger a security alert and the closure of the immediate area. I have witnessed dozens of situations where security has dispatched a whole team to cordon off an area just because someone left a backpack on a bench or under a table at a restaurant. Now, imagine the reaction to finding a little box (not your usual tourist item like a backpack would be) somewhere it's not supposed to be. Or, don't imagine, just read the reports from three prior such incidents where a Geocache caused Disney to call out the bomb squad:

As a retail veteran who has found things like this "hidden" behind shelves or under fixtures, it's not a lot of fun. Again, security gets called, and if they can't immediately deem the item harmless, out comes the bomb squad. Ever mall I've ever worked in had at least one or two of these a year. Loads of fun.

BTW, for Anaheim, the bomb squad is a unit of the Orange County Sheriff's department, and they have better things to do than respond to someone deliberately placing something like this as a "game" or a "joke." It's sad that this is the world we live it, but it is.

Just don't do it.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

I thought so. You could do a type of geocache without leaving something behind. Perhaps you just have to find an object or something....

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Our family is BIG into Geocaching. Seattle is where the world headquarters for Geocaching is located (Groundspeak.com) BUT! NO! Disneyland is NOT a place for Geocaching, unfortunatly. I think Disney could really cash in on this trend (which they sort of have with the sort-of-the-same-but-not Kimpossible and Perry adventures at Epcot) but us normal folk leaving caches around the park is not a good idea, for the exact reasons stated above. I suppose you could attach a magnetic micro-cache to the underside of a bench, but they tend to find these things and toss them out.

HOWEVER! Somethng that IS possible and has been done at Disneyland, Walt Disney World, etc., is Waymarking. (waymarking.com) which does not require a cache, but you take photos and post them or just mark that you found a spot and what the sign said, etc. More of a scavenger hunt sort of thing, still using the GPS. So, you might want to check that out as an alternative.

Geocaching is AWESOME! We send a travel bug (a little MukMuk key chain from the 2010 Winter Olympics) to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and he got there. People posted pictures of his travels and we are waiting for him to travel back to us now. We used it as part 1 of my son's science/geography project and when MukMuk returns, we'll do part 2, telling of his adventures. It's a great family activity - gets you out hiking and even getting to know areas of your own town you didn't know exsisted! Its a fun thing to do on vacation - FREE and sometimes you find fun stuff in the caches . . .

. . . just don't do it at Disneyland!

WDW June 1990-Buena Vista Palace, DL Aug 2001-Pasadena House, DL June 2006-Paradise Pier, DL June 2007-Paradise Pier, WDW Dec 2008-Royal Plaza, DL Nov 2011-Best Western Courtesy Inn, DL July 2012-Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn, DL May 2013-Holiday Inn on Walnut, PENDING DL Aug 2013 D23 Expo-Best Western Raffels