Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So who is signed up for the 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler (and/or Happy Haunted 5k)?

The waters are receding. The damage is insane. We have 271 students in our district who became homeless last weekend. Roads are opening up and I was able to get to the airport on Friday to Fly to Dayton, OH for the US Air Force Marathon. Just posted about it in non-Disney race reports.

Conferences are done. Throat feels bad, but should be cleared up for the 10 miler next weekend! Yes, I can officially say that now!

I have an illness and the only cure is more Walt Disney World!

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    The waters are receding. The damage is insane. We have 271 students in our district who became homeless last weekend. Roads are opening up and I was able to get to the airport on Friday to Fly to Dayton, OH for the US Air Force Marathon. Just posted about it in non-Disney race reports.

Conferences are done. Throat feels bad, but should be cleared up for the 10 miler next weekend! Yes, I can officially say that now!

I have an illness and the only cure is more Walt Disney World!
    So very sad about the students and the town. Hopefully no loss of life.

Good to hear you are ok and ready for ToT.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries

Links are available for the following ToT documents/ tracking on runDisney:

Runner tracking

10-Miler final race instructions

ToT Official Program

Course map

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Weather Forecast (as of today - subject to change)

Thursday October 3rd - high of 87 / low of 70 30% chance of rain
    Daytime - 75% humidity (ick)
    Night time - 87% humidity (big ick)

Friday October 4th - high of 86 / low of 69 20% chance of rain
    Daytime - 75% humidity (ewww)
    Night time - 86% humidity (big ewww)

Saturday October 5th - high of 86 / low of 68 10% chance of rain
    5k Daytime - 72% humidity (yuk!) Sunrise - 7:22 a.m.
    10-miler Night time - 83% humidity (big yuk!), Wind NW @ 3mph

RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The dew point is going to give you a better indication of the yuck factor -- 83% humidity at 68F is no where near as bad as 72% Humidity at 86F (heat index of 96), and yet the dew points are probably the same. /end weather lesson for today

Cathy

I just taught that the other day! Bring on the humid goodness! We are about to run a cross country meet in 59 degree raining/misty weather.
    I am looking forward to running in the humidity. I love running at night when it is warm.

Throat is feeling better, Cough is going away, I think I will be back to 100% health wise.
    I am running a Super hero 5K tomorrow morning which will be a good litmus for me as I recover from the Air Force Marathon and prep for ToT!

I was just rubbing the fact that I will be hanging out with Palm Trees in my coworker's face. It felt good.

Blog Entries

If you are curious to see some of the race-branded items for ToT 10-Miler this weekend, here's a quick overview courtesy of Disney Parks Blog. Looks like they expanded items from last year's very small selection - will be interesting to see if the runDisney expo 'chaos' trend continues..

RunningFool

An "I did it" tech hoodie? Love!

Blog Entries

Funny I received a virtual goodie bag for Wine & Dine but nothing for ToT 10-Miler. Did track down the link for the free ToT 10-Miler art card if anyone is interested.

RunningFool

It was in an email. I had to go back and look for it. I am checked into my flight! I can not wait! I think my students are excited for me to leave just so they don't have to hear me talking about this trip anymore! This time tomorrow I will be at the Expo!

Blog Entries
    It was in an email. I had to go back and look for it. I am checked into my flight! I can not wait! I think my students are excited for me to leave just so they don't have to hear me talking about this trip anymore! This time tomorrow I will be at the Expo!
    Hmmmm, I went back through. Haven't had a ToT email in a while. Oh well, got it now!

On the flight to Orlando as we speak. Looking forward to trick or treating in the Magic Kingdom tonight!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

We have an official Weekend Heat Advisory from runDisney for the Tower of Terror 10-Miler Saturday night. Going to be an interesting night...

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Forecast for 10:00 p.m. race start: 77 degrees with 85% humidity. My goal tonight - just finish!

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Looks like Chewy had a great run. After the disaster of the Disneyland Half, I had a run I'm very pleased with. Only 18 seconds slower than last year's ToT event. Temp was 75 degrees and 85% humidity at the start. Humidity actually went up during the race but came back down before I got to the finish which helped. Currently sitting at the airport for a 7:00 a.m. flight. Yup, no sleep yet. Hopefully I can get a couple of hours in on the flight.

Full ToT race recap to follow.

RunningFool

I slept in today, but I'm still tired. Congrats runners!

- Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmores View Post
    I slept in today, but I'm still tired. Congrats runners!
    Congrats on completing the race. What did you think of it?

I'm envious of your sleep. I didn't sleep until 5:00 p.m. PST on Sunday after I returned home. Guess I was still running on 'runner's high' but when I crashed, I was out!
    RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Looks like Chewy had a great run. After the disaster of the Disneyland Half, I had a run I'm very pleased with. Only 18 seconds slower than last year's ToT event. Temp was 75 degrees and 85% humidity at the start. Humidity actually went up during the race but came back down before I got to the finish which helped. Currently sitting at the airport for a 7:00 a.m. flight. Yup, no sleep yet. Hopefully I can get a couple of hours in on the flight.

Full ToT race recap to follow.
    Isn't that how you do things. Run the race and then run to the airport? ;-)
    I can't wait to read a recap. I can't decide if I'm really jealous and need to add this to my running bucket list or it's just making me really excited for W&D.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So who is signed up for the 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler (and/or Happy Haunt...

Fairest, the ToT course includes non-paved areas. That's a deal breaker (if the time of year wasn't already a deal breaker) for me.

There's NO WAY I could get on a plane right after a race.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Isn't that how you do things. Run the race and then run to the airport? ;-)
    I can't wait to read a recap. I can't decide if I'm really jealous and need to add this to my running bucket list or it's just making me really excited for W&D.
    With all the crazies of work taking my time right now race to plane seems to be the norm. I wouldn't do it after a marathon! It's also a bummer as I miss out on the fun of 'medal in the park' day.

Stats from the race. If there were around 11k in starters they had a pretty sizable drop rate.

Men 3346
    Women 6132
    Total Finishers 9478
    RunningFool

Loved the Run, Hated the Run. I loved the course, the theme, the entertainment. My personal run was blah. I knew going into this race that my legs were going to be iffy after doing the US Air Force Full Marathon 2 weeks ago. I was strong for the first 4 miles and then I fell apart. A blister from about a month ago, which would not go away, got huge and burst. I was in some pain and was worried that I would have a bloody sock at the finish. I cramped at mile 4. My legs lost all stamina at mile 4 when I cramped. I was gunning for a 1:13 but it was not to be. I settled into a slow jog and at the end even employed the run/walk/run method. Not a fan. I downed a Poweraide and that made me sick to my stomach. I ended up laying out in the animation courtyard and slept for a half an hour after the race.

People were puking on the course all around me, people passing out. I saw a dude collapse into a medics arms and the only thing he said before going down was HOT, HOt. It was intense and I loved every minute of it. I just wish I hadn't blistered and my legs hadn't quite on me. I was surprised that I cramped considering how hydrated I was.

It was cool at the start to look back and see the mass of humanity that was the other corrals. I got to meet Jeff Galloway at the Starting line and that was really cool.

I just need to find a way to convince my wife to let me go and run this thing again. any suggestions? I want a much better time!

I did get a kick out of people as I boarded the shuttle bus from the resort to the starting area when they saw my corral. Some fun comments ensued.

Blog Entries
    I just need to find a way to convince my wife to let me go and run this thing again. any suggestions? I want a much better time!
    Sorry to hear you had such a difficult run but glad to hear you still enjoyed it! The humidity and the heat were just nasty and probably didn't help in dealing with your leg cramps. Thankfully we didn't have the blazing sun to contend with too!

Were you taking anything else (such as Gu) when you got ill from the Powerade? I've noticed if I mix a Clif Shot with Powerade I end up sick so it may have been a blend of things you were ingesting.

The ToT 10-Miler will have it's fifth anniversary event in 2016. That may be a good one to shoot for to come back and run!
    RunningFool

I was not on anything. I just downed a poweraide right after finishing. Probably too much too quickly. I don't take gu when I run less than a half marathon. I am looking at getting some salt pills and trying those out.

The trail run I enjoyed except for all of the dust. If they could wet it down like an hour before the start of the race, that would help make the trail not so dusty.

Blog Entries
    I was not on anything. I just downed a poweraide right after finishing. Probably too much too quickly. I don't take gu when I run less than a half marathon. I am looking at getting some salt pills and trying those out.

The trail run I enjoyed except for all of the dust. If they could wet it down like an hour before the start of the race, that would help make the trail not so dusty.
    Ah yes, if it was after finishing it probably was just too much too fast.

Good suggestion on the trail run area - it's the one thing I hear the most complaints about from participants. By the time I got there several of the lights had gone out. They were working on them (and had a flashlight or two out on the course) but there were some really dark patches on very uneven ground.
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    People were puking on the course all around me, people passing out.
    Wow, that's terrible. I guess it's cool enough in many places now that 77 degrees with high humidity can cause folks to get really sick.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Wow, that's terrible. I guess it's cool enough in many places now that 77 degrees with high humidity can cause folks to get really sick.
    Unless you live on those temps year-round (or train in a sauna), those are brutal temps to function in. Thankfully Wine & Dine moved from this weekend to November or we would have had to run another 3.1 miles Saturday night/Sunday morning!

Our highs right now are in the mid-50's with lows in the 40's. Love it.
    RunningFool