Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Ways to save on Disneyland Resort tickets and APs even after the 6/2 price change

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ways to save on Disneyland Resort tickets and APs even after the 6/2 price change

If this weekend's price hike on Disneyland Resort admission tickets caught you by surprise (as in, it's now Monday morning and you're just hearing what happened over the weekend), don't panic - there are still ways you can save on Disneyland tickets for your next trip.

I'm only listing legitimate discounts and options below - we don't condone ticket "sharing" here, so if that's the type of advice you're seeking you'll have to look elsewhere. I'll update this thread with other offers as we hear about them - if you know of one, let me know!

Tickets:

1: Check your local grocery store or Disney store

IF your local grocery store or Disney store usually sells Disneyland tickets, check with them to see if they have any at the old prices. It seems that they don't all get the memo the pull the old ticket stock the second Disneyland changes their prices, so you may have a one- or two-day window to hunt down a deal.

2: Purchase through Get Away Today

Get Away Today [disclosure: a MousePlanet sponsor] has been given an extension once again to sell the discounted prices through June 25. This discount was not showing on their website when the price increase went into effect, and even today shows an end date of June 20 instead of 25.

3: Check with your local travel agent or AAA office, credit union, employee benefits office, school, etc.

In the past, travel agencies and ticket resellers could quietly continue to sell their remaining tickets at the old prices after a price change, while inventory lasted. If you work with a travel agent or AAA office that usually stocks Disneyland tickets, check with them. If you have a credit union, benefits office or student union, check with them to see if they have any offers for you.

4: Check with a Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel

MousePad Community Leader Malcon10t advised readers last year that "Several hotels in the area (I know the Candy Cane has them) has tickets at the old price until they are gone."

5: Consider the 2013 CityPASS

2013 Southern California CityPASS ($308/$269 if purchased by June 2, $319/$279 if purchased on or after June 3) – This pass includes a 3–Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Bonus Ticket (including one early–entry day), a one–day admission to Sea World San Diego and a one-day admission to Universal Studios Hollywood. The CityPass expires 14 days after first use at any location, and the first use must occur by January 2, 2014. Purchase CityPass through the Disneyland Website or on–site at the ticket booths of Disneyland Resort or the other theme parks included in the pass. You can also purchase directly from the CityPass website, though a shipping charge may apply depending on how quickly you need the ticket.

2013 Southern California CityPASS PLUS ($339/$294) if purchased by June 2, $353/$304 if purchased on or after June 3) – This pass includes a 3–Day Disneyland Resort Park Hopper Bonus Ticket (including one early–entry day), a one–day admission to Sea World San Diego and a one-day admission to Universal Studios Hollywood, PLUS one–day admission to either San Diego Zoo or San Diego Wild Animal Park. The CityPass expires 14 days after first use at any location, and the first use must occur by January 2, 2014. This upgraded pass is only available for purchase directly from the CityPass website.

Annual Passports:

1: If your pass expires in June, you can still renew it at the lower price!

Passholders with June expiration dates can renew at the lower price provided you renew no later than 60 days after your pass expires. If you've already received your renewal paperwork by mail, you can just send that in or renew online. If you haven't yet received your paperwork but your pass expires in June or very early July, you should still be able to renew online - just check the passholder website. Unfortunately, unless you can convince Disney to make an exception for you, people with passes that expire after June 30 can not renew at the lower prices.

2: Check your local grocery store or Disney store

IF your local grocery store or Disney store usually sells Disneyland annual passes, check with them to see if they have any at the old prices. It seems that they don't all get the memo the pull the old ticket stock the second Disneyland changes their prices, so you may have a one- or two-day window to hunt down a deal.

3: Check with your local travel agent or AAA office, credit union, employee benefits office, school, etc.

In the past, travel agencies and ticket resellers could quietly continue to sell their remaining tickets at the old prices after a price change, while inventory lasted. If you work with a travel agent or AAA office that usually stocks Disneyland tickets, check with them. If you have a credit union, benefits office or student union, check with them to see if they have any offers for you.

Last edited by AVP; 06-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

I haven't checked yet this year, but last year my husband's corporate employee benefits discount prices increased as soon as the increase was announced (i.e. before the price increase actually went into effect). That was a definite change from prior years and may be due to the sales now being on the corporate intranet rather than physical tickets.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I haven't checked yet this year, but last year my husband's corporate employee benefits discount prices increased as soon as the increase was announced (i.e. before the price increase actually went into effect). That was a definite change from prior years and may be due to the sales now being on the corporate intranet rather than physical tickets.
    We noticed that most online sellers have already raised their prices this year, which is a change from last year when some seller had them for a full two weeks after.

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

We bought our two day park hoppers this morning at Pavilions for $200 each. No price increase. I have the activation receipt as well. I'm worried, though, that when we present the cards at the turnstile, will we be told that they're invalid? Or that we owe the extra $20 for both? Has that ever happened to anyone? Or, since I've legitimately paid for two park hoppers that say $200 on them -- there is no way for Disney to request the price difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Sansarc View Post
    We bought our two day park hoppers this morning at Pavilions for $200 each. No price increase. I have the activation receipt as well. I'm worried, though, that when we present the cards at the turnstile, will we be told that they're invalid? Or that we owe the extra $20 for both? Has that ever happened to anyone? Or, since I've legitimately paid for two park hoppers that say $200 on them -- there is no way for Disney to request the price difference?
    The price increase will not be a problem for you as long as you redeem the tickets before their expiration date. As long as the cashier properly activated the passes they will work, and since you have the activation receipt that shouldn't be an issue. Based on past performance, and based on the good-faith transaction you had at Pavillions, Disney will not request the difference. Imagine if you were a regular guest who had no idea that Disney had raised the prices today and just happenstance went to the grocery store to buy tickets for an upcoming trip. Then imagine their anger/bad PR if Disney refused to honor the passes.

The only issue we have heard of is people who try to activate tickets/passes after their expiration date. At that point, Disney is within their rights to request you pay the difference between the current prices and the amount that you already paid.

The only issue we have heard of is people who try to activate tickets/passes after their expiration date. At that point, Disney is within their rights to request you pay the difference between the current prices and the amount that you already paid.
    Thanks so much. Yes, the expiration date is 12/31/13. I'd read about the price increase this morning on MP, but when we were at Pavilions, and I saw the park hoppers for $200, I thought -- what's the worst thing that can happen? They'll ask me to pay $20. I like having the actual plastic cards as opposed to the paper issued tickets from the turnstile (after we print the tickets out online, etc). The plastic cards easier to keep as souvenirs. But I got nervous later -- because you know, I'd rather save that $20 and spend it elsewhere in the park. Thanks again for the reassurance.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

However it does still look like I'm screwed with my Premier AP. The Disneyland website lets me renew, but only as a Premium APer, not the Premier for both DL and WDW. Boo. You'd think they would know how to renew the most expensive AP, wouldn't you think?

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

AVP, I assume that is a typo. The Citypass plus new price you have listed as the same as the regular CP, which would mean it went down?

Say I want to buy a Premium DLR to activate in September, and I can find it at my AAA office for less than $649 so I get it now.
    Then, I want to pay to upgrade it to a Premier in September and use it at WDW.

Will WDW charge me the difference between the then-going rate ($669) and the Premier cost ($949) or will they look at how much I actually paid and make me pay the full dollar difference?

Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Say I want to buy a Premium DLR to activate in September, and I can find it at my AAA office for less than $649 so I get it now.
    Then, I want to pay to upgrade it to a Premier in September and use it at WDW.

Will WDW charge me the difference between the then-going rate ($669) and the Premier cost ($949) or will they look at how much I actually paid and make me pay the full dollar difference?
    When I did an upgrade at WDW, they credited me for the price that they were currently being sold. I had bought by premium pass at DL using a discount (i.e. corporate/DVC/ or renewal) before a price increase. I don't know if I got lucky, if the policies have changed since, etc. I would plan on paying the difference in actual prices with the hope that you may get lucky.

I just called getawaytoday this morning and their ticket pricing has not been increased yet either. The lady I spoke to said she just got the memo this morning that the prices would go up June 21st. Getawaytoday's prices have always been cheaper for us than buying directly with Disneyland, so you may want to check them out.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When I did an upgrade at WDW, they credited me for the price that they were currently being sold. I had bought by premium pass at DL using a discount (i.e. corporate/DVC/ or renewal) before a price increase. I don't know if I got lucky, if the policies have changed since, etc. I would plan on paying the difference in actual prices with the hope that you may get lucky.
    I think a key to doing this is doing it at the park where you DON'T currently have the AP. (Though policies could have changed, too)
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I think a key to doing this is doing it at the park where you DON'T currently have the AP. (Though policies could have changed, too)
    I agree, I HAD to do it at WDW because I wanted to apply credit for a WDW ticket that I had on a room key. DL claimed that they had no way to determine the value of the ticket, so if I did the upgrade there, I wouldn't have been able to use the one-day WDW ticket that I had. It was a nice bonus that I got more value for the DL pass than I was expecting.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    AVP, I assume that is a typo. The Citypass plus new price you have listed as the same as the regular CP, which would mean it went down?
    Yes, welcome to my world - trying to juggle all of this whilst out of state for my grandmother's 80th birthday party.

AVP

For those with AAA membership, I purchased 2 Premium AP vouchers (DLR) this afternoon for $630.95 each. The AAA agent said that this location had been selling lots of DLR tickets today, but that they had not received any notice about a price increase or when their pricing would go up. Expiration date on the vouchers is 12/31/13.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    For those with AAA membership, I purchased 2 Premium AP vouchers (DLR) this afternoon for $630.95 each. The AAA agent said that this location had been selling lots of DLR tickets today, but that they had not received any notice about a price increase or when their pricing would go up. Expiration date on the vouchers is 12/31/13.
    Hmm - so at that price, it seems better to renew with $40 discount for $629 when the time comes, right?

Hmm - so at that price, it seems better to renew with $40 discount for $629 when the time comes, right?
    Yes

I respectfully disagree - unless you were planning on going the day after your current pass expires or don't want to commit the money all at once now.

We typically take a break of a week or two after our passes expire and for an extra $2 to get some amount of extra time before the next expiration seems worth it to me.

I respectfully disagree - unless you were planning on going the day after your current pass expires or don't want to commit the money all at once now.

We typically take a break of a week or two after our passes expire and for an extra $2 to get some amount of extra time before the next expiration seems worth it to me.
    Excellent point. But if you are needing it wanting to Renee right away there's no advantage.

It is worth paying the extra $1.95 per pass for us to have the vouchers. We're not so budget minded that $3.90 is a deal breaker. Plus, we aren't keen on waiting to see if the rumors (from another fan board) of another increase before the end of the year will pan out -- we'd rather have the vouchers in hand and relax about it.

I agree, I HAD to do it at WDW because I wanted to apply credit for a WDW ticket that I had on a room key. DL claimed that they had no way to determine the value of the ticket, so if I did the upgrade there, I wouldn't have been able to use the one-day WDW ticket that I had. It was a nice bonus that I got more value for the DL pass than I was expecting.
    When did you do it? I heard on another board that WDW was calling DLR to find out how much was paid for the pass (and vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorjedi View Post
    When did you do it? I heard on another board that WDW was calling DLR to find out how much was paid for the pass (and vice versa).
    This was about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorjedi View Post
    This was about 2 years ago.
    I know they used to "bridge" ticket prices but I think I remember they stopped that and their policy now matches more of DLR (paid value vs potential value). I could be wrong though...
    Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Getaway today is still selling at the old prices until June 24. You have to book by then for use by the end of the year.

I was waiting for some in Safeway so looked around. Our Safeway still has a good size stack of both Deluxe and Premium APs at the old price $469, and $649?. They also have a good size stack of 2 day kid hoppers for $188, there are still a handful of Adult 2 day, but not as many as the rest, for $200.
    So, check your Vons/Safeways. Expiration on all of the is 12/31/2013.