Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: iPhone used by waitstaff at Table Service Restaurants

Blog Entries

iPhone used by waitstaff at Table Service Restaurants

Returned on Monday from a quick 2 day trip to the World.

On Sunday we dined at The Wave (first time) and we went to pay the check with our room key.

The waitress walked over and opened the check sleeve and said check this out!

She pulls out an iPhone hooked up to a bigger device (our waitress called it the 90's cell phone which is what it looked like!). She swiped our room key, I put in my pin code, and she came right back with our receipt. She said she just got it this week and The Wave was one of the first restaurants to get it! (Don't know how true that is because I am a little behind with all of this new technology WDW is implementing!)

And if this is old news sorry to bother ya!!

Kristin

2. # ADS

IPhone used by waitstaff at TS Restaurants

How do you get your pin code? Do they give it you at check in and is it a bracelet still or a card you get?

Sorry. Questions galore!!!!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

You get a pin code at checkin, tied to your room-card.

On my last trip I made good use of my pin code, especially at the food kiosks at the Flower & Garden & Food & Wine Festival in Epcot. It's a really cool use of technology, and I'm glad to see them bringing it into the restaurants.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

is a pin code new? It's been almost a year & a half since our last WDW trip and we didn't have/weren't offered a pin code then.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IPhone used by waitstaff at TS Restaurants

I'm guessing here, ericles, that it came with the all-RFID KTTW cards. When we were there in November, they were just rolling them out for the rooms part.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I'm guessing here, ericles, that it came with the all-RFID KTTW cards. When we were there in November, they were just rolling them out for the rooms part.
    I think you're right. Last week we used the pin code along with the KTTW card at quick service restaurants, for snacks and shops too. But never at table service (and we were at many restaurants). However, we experienced many glitches when it came to entering the parks! But they had back up CM's available to get us through almost immediately. I think the problem was because we added the park tickets at the resort instead of including them with a package (at least that's what we were told). All in all, the technology is moving along and will makes things ultimately faster and more efficient!
    [
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Hmmmm--that's a cool deal. Would keep people from running up your KTTW card if you lost it and didn't realize it immediately.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

We had KTTW cards and we were able to assign our pin code at online check in. My understanding is you either assign your pin code at online checking or when you check in, in person. And Tina, you are correct in that they are now using the pin code so if the card gets lost no one else can use it.
    Most of our park entries went smoothly if guests all had the RFID cards and knew to use both terminals, some times people could not see the second one because the line would block it. I did see a family with bracelets but only one and I was not close enough to ask about it.
    I really liked the fact that our hotel doors used the new technology, we just had to hold the card up to the door and it unlocked it, it seemed to work a lot better then when you had to slide the card in.
    None of e restaurants we went to used the technology that Kristen talked about but I can definitely see it coming.

At Christmas they had us pick a pin code when we checked in and any purchases over a certain amount had to have the code when charging to the room. We were using Disney dollars up from the Disney Visa though so we didn't really have to use it.

WDW: 2012 (Contemporary), 2010 (Caribbean Beach) , 2007 (Animal Kingdom), 2001 (Beach Club)
    DLR: 5/2014, 4/2014, 10/2013, 1989, 1979

I loved that you could keep your KTTW card in your lanyard's plastic pouch when you opened the door to your room. No fussing around trying to pull it out...just touch the pouch to the lock!

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

Blog Entries

I assigned my pin code when I did online check in and then they verified it when I checked in. I used it a lot but it took some getting used to at first. I felt like I was at the bank sometimes. It was just the new card, not the bracelet. I don't know how I will feel about the bracelet. I hate wearing bracelets.

Kristin

Both the bracelets and RFID'd keys should work the same (tap and then enter code). There were a few places I came across where the pin machines (already) weren't working and they just swiped (didn't ask for a ID either). Overall I like the changes.

I am nearly certain though that it's actually Ipods they are using, not Iphones. They have all kinds of new devices to go along with the new stuff.

The one thing I didn't like (and with my admission couldn't use) was the new entrance scanner pole things ? Kind of a strange look IMO and a WEIRD feel. I must have my animal mentality stuck or something because it was like... but... I need to go through the gate/turnstyle to go into the park. It just felt wrong, like they didn't have a front door anymore.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    The one thing I didn't like (and with my admission couldn't use) was the new entrance scanner pole things ? Kind of a strange look IMO and a WEIRD feel.
    See, this is one of the things that I really DID like. I used them on my last visit about 3 weeks ago, and I was really impressed with how easy these are to use, especially with how they designed the feedback to let you know when your card or your finger were accepted.
    - James Taylor

See, this is one of the things that I really DID like. I used them on my last visit about 3 weeks ago, and I was really impressed with how easy these are to use, especially with how they designed the feedback to let you know when your card or your finger were accepted.
    Since I didn't use them (one time for re-entry I was able to walk past them when a CM with their handheld device verified my MEP) but these DO read fingerprints? I only saw other guests holding up their "new style" cards and them going green/etc. I thought these would do away with fingerprinting, is that not the case?
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani

You still need to put a finger in the scanner. I'm not sure if these new ones are reading fingerprints or just picking out a few data points. But it was very quick and accurate.

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Agree. I though it was great. There is also two Mickey head scanners in each entry so it helped in getting through faster. A quick scan of the card and then put your finger on the Mickey head and you were through.

Also, I think every store I went to had the new Mickey head terminals for your WTTK cards or there was also a slot where you can run your normal debit/credit card through. But I found that most of those scanners werent anchored down so if you were using your normal credit or debit card, it was kind of hard to slide your card through. You or the CM had to hold it down while using the other hand to swipe the card. I think they were counting on a majority of the people using the WTTK touch capability when they installed these terminals.

Blog Entries

When I was there a lot of people only used the first mickey head terminal (the one closer to the line) and wouldn't go to the second one (closer to the inside of the park) especially if it wasn't their family member in front of them. It didn't matter how many times the CM told them to they just wouldn't. So hopefully that will change. The one time people are allowed to "cut" in line and they don't! Go figure!

Kristin

I noticed this too, and found out it worked in my favor. If that 2nd terminal was sitting unused and the people in front of me were just standing there waiting for the 1st terminal, I would just scoot ahead and use the 2nd one. It's no different than entering an attraction through an unused line, or going to the empty side of a quick service cash register. Someone else's ignorance sometimes can be used to my advantage!

- James Taylor

When I was there a lot of people only used the first mickey head terminal (the one closer to the line) and wouldn't go to the second one (closer to the inside of the park) especially if it wasn't their family member in front of them. It didn't matter how many times the CM told them to they just wouldn't. So hopefully that will change. The one time people are allowed to "cut" in line and they don't! Go figure!
    It may take a while, lol, I'm telling you it's the "but but but, I'm supposed to enter through a gate and wait in a line". It didn't feel like I was "entering" in the right place!