Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Animal Kingdom guest finds loaded gun on Dinosaur ride

If by north you mean closer to the main entrance, then I completely agree with you. My favorite spot is right across from the steps leading up into the Canada pavilion. It looks like the view would be blocked by trees, so there's never a crowd there. But you can see everything really well, and there are speakers that come up out of the surrounding rocks giving you great sound as well!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    If by north you mean closer to the main entrance, then I completely agree with you. My favorite spot is right across from the steps leading up into the Canada pavilion. It looks like the view would be blocked by trees, so there's never a crowd there. But you can see everything really well, and there are speakers that come up out of the surrounding rocks giving you great sound as well!
    Yes, very close to there! Right next to an ADA area.

It's Complicated

During the 1990's I ran afoul of Walt Disney World's unposted "weapons" policy. The security checkpoint confiscated my Leatherman tool at the gate to the Magic Kingdom, but I was permitted to pick it up from Guest Services later. The policy includes ALL pocket knives, those silly little tear gas sprays, and a lot of other things. I was permitted to carry my Mini-MagLite with me--after they had me prove that it wasn't a gun.

This issue is complicated, involving corporate responsibility, public safety, Good Will and public image.

It is sobering to see your own name on some organization's hit list. I was in Army intelligence during the 1980's and I spent seven years in the Middle East employed as an anti-terrorist security officer. A handgun is a first aid kit against violence. How many medical emergencies is that bandaid box inadequate for?
    an
    The individual who lost control of his gun in Dinosaur was wrong on a couple of counts. Leaving his gun on the seat of a ride is a no-no. It happens to police all of the time--don't think a badge makes someone idiot-proof. WDW security is nearly all unarmed--there may be some armed body guards protecting corporate executives, but if armed force is needed you can bet the farm that WDW will call the local police, just like everybody else. It has to do with liabilities--if the cops screw it up, a government organization takes the hit. Corporate security, on the other hand, can do nothing right. One of the issues of the Zimmerman case is that George Zimmerman was "in-house" security at the gated community--much like WDW's security force is "in-house."

At the moment there is NO "duty to protect" by sworn law enforcement officers. Corporations with their private police do have an implied "duty to protect" unlike city, county, state and federal governments, but remember the signage in WDW parking lots to the effect that WDW is not responsible for damage or theft? WDW has disavowed all "duty to protect," and that is industry standard. You are on your own if assaulted--or worse--on Disney property. The Disney Company doesn't make a lot of noise about it, but read all the disclaimers.

Besides, is it really WDW's fault when you get attacked by another Disney guest? Okay, there's the fact that WDW policy disarms you--remember, no tear gas (pepper spray), no TASER, not even a Swiss Army Knife!

It's complicated. It's political. And most people will have gripes (legitimate and otherwise) about WDW weapons policies. The WDW "gun free zone" policy was crafted by Disney lawyers to protect corporation wealth. Obviously there are exceptions for politically powerful rich people. I'm not one of those exceptions and you probably aren't, either. Live with it, people.

I have some bad news for you: an "adult" child is more likely to get into trouble with someone else's gun. There's this case in Philidelphia with a "trained law enforcement officer" discharging a REVOLVER: http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...rport/1589697/

I have trained thousands of soldiers and security officers in small arms marksmanship and safety ranging from handguns to machine guns and grenade launchers. I am guessing that the police officer didn't know revolvers and she cocked the hammer--locking up the cylinder. The hammer had to be let down before the cylinder could be opened and the cartridges removed from the five or six firing chambers. BANG!

Just having a badge and being trained on an agency weapon doesn't make one knowledgable about all small arms. I have considerable experience with military and police weapons, but as a range safety officer at a county public range I will admit that I encounter firearms that I don't know how to operate--how to unload and make safe. I can probably figure it out--I am an experienced armorer--but there's a reason military armories have a clearing barrel by the front door.

About the gun found: it was reported as a "Cobra .380 semiautomatic."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...sney-employees

I can't further identify it. Could be this gun made in Utah. http://www.cobrapistols.net/product-...series-380.asp

Could be this one: http://www.cobrapistols.net/product-...-series-sa.asp

There are a number of handguns on the market named after snakes. I know that it is morbid of me to quote Indiana Jones on an Animal Kingdom ride about snakes, so I won't.