Thread: Animal Kingdom guest finds loaded gun on Dinosaur ride

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Animal Kingdom guest finds loaded gun on Dinosaur ride

http://news.yahoo.com/disney-world-p...204422359.html

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP) A Walt Disney World patron on a ride with her grandson found a loaded gun on her seat, officials said Wednesday.

Officials said that the woman found the pistol on the Dinosaur ride at Animal Kingdom. The woman turned over the loaded weapon to a park attendant, who then contacted her manager and authorities.

The gun's owner, Angelo Lista, told authorities he discovered his gun was missing several minutes after leaving the ride. He has a concealed weapons permit.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read this on the news! My goodness!!! Now what? Metal detectors? People without bags do not get inspected, so that doesn't mean there isn't anything in their pockets.

Stephanie

I think what is appalling here is that the fellow chose to take a LOADED firearm into Disneyworld...... and yet the article claims " he didn't know it wasn't allowed".

Really?? He didn't have the wherewithal to contact Disney AND ASK??
    And he couldn't keep track of the thing from moment to moment while he was there. A LETHAL weapon.

Sorry, but a concealed-carry permit holder needs to be held to and MUST exercise a HIGHER STANDARD of both cognizance and responsibility than this fellow has. Carrying a gun isn't a fashion accessory.
    He needs to be fully aware of all rules and regulations for every location he visits, and in the internet age that is very easy to do, and cannot be lax in any way because the weapon he carries can kill.
    There should be no leeway here, and there should be zero-tolerance. This isn't something that should be let go with an "ooops". He's irresponsible and should lose his carry permit--heck, I'd prefer that he ( and other like-violators) just be banned from all Disney parks.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess the question is...and I am NOT defending him... but are there signs that state no weapons clearly posted before the security checkpoint? Its not something I have noticed in the past, but you can bet Ill be be more observant because of this.

I ask / say this not because I carry, but because it may (or may not) be his defense.

Agreed that weapons really dont belong at WDW. But I bet metal detectors are next. They have them at 6 Flags Great America.

Whats next? CLEAR for Theme Parks?

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I am all for the 2nd Amendment, but come on. Why would you even need to take a loaded weapon to Disney World? All I can envision is a small child getting hurt or killed if it accidentally went off. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR WEAPONS AT HOME OR LOCKED IN YOUR ROOM SAFE!!!!!!

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff

This is one of the biggest problems with gun culture in this country today, the fact that this person feels he's well within his rights to walk into an extremely crowded privately owned place with a loaded weapon, putting other people's lives in danger...just because he has a carry permit and he believes that his interpretation of the 2nd amendment allows him to do so. It's a big problem, that common sense can't really be a measurable requirement for responsible gun ownership.

I suppose that's the trade-off. For every person with a gun locked home safely, there's a "cowboy" who feels he needs to be armed at all times...even in Animal Kingdom.

If they add metal detectors, lines at security screening are going to be ridiculous.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    If they add metal detectors, lines at security screening are going to be ridiculous.
    True! True! Unfortunately this is where today's society has taken us. I remember the days of just waltzing thru the gates of Disney without a care in the world, with no fear of even thinking the most Magical Place on Earth could be remotely dangerous. No bag checks, just a welcome from a friendly CM and we were on our way for the day.

Even at the airports, we could walk our relatives right up to their departing gate or greet them as they were getting off the plane.

To the newest generations, they don't even realize the simple things that existed and we were more open and trusting. Anymore we need to have our guard up even in elementary schools.

Stephanie

Blog Entries

They need metal detectors. I've always thought that. Those bag checks are doing nothing except for confiscating glass. Very rarely do they go through my bag. Now I don't even bring a bag, but just this weekend I walked through the no bag line with my sweatshirt draped over my arm. I could have been hiding anything under there.

They have to do something because clearly many things are getting through.

Kristin

Oh my god. I cannot believe there is a law that would make it okay for anyone to ever take a gun to WDW, loaded or not. I just don't get it. Why would you need a sign to tell you this? I know I don't live in the US, but I find this genuinely and horribly shocking.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Based on the reactions I've seen so far, it seems that the TSA should screen everyone going into the parks from now on, with full pat downs for any "hinky" looking folks.

However, the guy had a CCW, and was entitled to carry.

Not saying he was smart, though.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    Based on the reactions I've seen so far, it seems that the TSA should screen everyone going into the parks from now on, with full pat downs for any "hinky" looking folks.

However, the guy had a CCW, and was entitled to carry.

Not saying he was smart, though.
    He can't possibly have been allowed to carry on Disney property. It's private property and they have a no weapons allowed policy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    He can't possibly have been allowed to carry on Disney property. It's private property and they have a no weapons allowed policy.
    Correct... having a CCW does not mean you can carry "anywhere" you want. Businesses can, and do, reserve the right to not allow weapons on property.

Like I mentioned above - how clear is this policy stated for WDW guests is the question.
    I know it should be a keen grasp of the obvious to not bring a weapon on property, but who knows.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I'm sure they do, but where is this posted?

I've never seen a single sign, anywhere.

Either coast.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    I'm sure they do, but where is this posted?

I've never seen a single sign, anywhere.

Either coast.
    I'm wondering what the default is. Are you allowed to bring your gun onto private property unless it's expressly prohibited in writing, or are you prohibited unless you're expressly allowed to? I'm wondering if the admission ticket says anything. Sometimes, it does.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Eek! Praise God a small child didn't find this gun!!

This is beyond being irresponsible, bringing a loaded gun into the park and losing track of it? Did he have it by his side when he was riding the ride? It could've easily gone off, when the vehicle turned or something. I'm so glad a responsible person found the gun and turned it in! Can you imagine if anyone else would've found it and NOT turned it in! Or even a small child picking it up to examine it would be possibly lethal, if he thought it was a toy and played around with it!

I was noticing the guy in front of us the other night, when we were going into DCA thru the GCH entrance, after having our 34th Wedding Anniversary dinner at Napa Rose. He didn't have a bag, but he did have a VERY bulky jacket on, and he kept his hands in his pockets the whole time they were looking thru his female companion's purse and then going thru the turn-style. He definitely seemed suspicious to me, but I guess they don't do anything to him, since he didn't have a bag with him!

I remember the joyful days of time spent in Disneyland, without a care, long before 9-11. You never even thought of someone doing something like that, but things are different now. I do get bothered when there's a long line (like there was the other night!) and they only have ONE checker! Then when they decide they want into every tiny pocket in a purse can take forever, but I'd rather that than to risk something going dreadfully wrong, in the "Happiest Place on Earth"!!

Karen W2

This is one of the biggest problems with gun culture in this country today, the fact that this person feels he's well within his rights to walk into an extremely crowded privately owned place with a loaded weapon, putting other people's lives in danger...just because he has a carry permit and he believes that his interpretation of the 2nd amendment allows him to do so. It's a big problem, that common sense can't really be a measurable requirement for responsible gun ownership.

I suppose that's the trade-off. For every person with a gun locked home safely, there's a "cowboy" who feels he needs to be armed at all times...even in Animal Kingdom.

I believe your incorrect in your opinion about the gun culture. Please do not think that all concealed carry people are like this. There are many steps that have to be taken to even be considered receiving a concealed carry permit here in California. I know my husband has a concealed carry permit. In the training, the instructor even tells the students that they are to be peacemakers. Having to shoot and kill someone is the last resort.

With the situation mentioned in the discussion, the man clearly did not follow the rules. We have run in to situations where a place of business has the posting on the door "No firearms permitted". So my husband walks back to the car, removes his firearm and places it in the locked case we have in the car that is locked firmly to the seat base. Please do not bunch all legally licensed concealed carriers in this mans circle. Thank you.
    Living life to the fullest

http://www.oilyhabit.com/

Well said, familymemories.

Rocket Scientist/Future Imagineer
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it.", Alan Kay
    Come join the Pleasure Island Lover's Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well said, familymemories.
    Thanks

[QUOTE=familymemories; In the training, the instructor even tells the students that they are to be peacemakers. [/QUOTE]

Isn't this an oxymoron?

I only ever judge people as individuals. This is absolutely no kind of personal attack or insult.

But I really find this frightening.

Why would you ever think you need to carry a gun at WDW?

Or anywhere.....

I'm really not looking for a fight. I just am genuinely horrified that this issue could result in reasoned debate.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Isn't this an oxymoron?

I only ever judge people as individuals. This is absolutely no kind of personal attack or insult.

But I really find this frightening.

Why would you ever think you need to carry a gun at WDW?

Or anywhere.....

I'm really not looking for a fight. I just am genuinely horrified that this issue could result in reasoned debate.
    Yes, the man should not have taken his gun in the park. Duh. What I said is not an oxymoron! Criminals do not follow rules, they want to hurt people. Many lives have been saved with legally armed people. Oh yes, you have a Constitutional Right to your opinion and so do I.

Quote Originally Posted by familymemories View Post
    Yes, the man should not have taken his gun in the park. Duh. What I said is not an oxymoron! Criminals do not follow rules, they want to hurt people. Many lives have been saved with legally armed people. Oh yes, you have a Constitutional Right to your opinion and so do I.
    Please remember scooby is not from the US. This is a genuine question about a difference in culture.

Blog Entries

While Im not putting on my moderator hat at the moment, I think it might be best to keep the views in this discussion focused on the story at hand: A gun being found at the parks. I will say, however, that the whole "right to carry" conversation (let alone "where to carry") is very interesting and would be a great conversation for the lounge. I know I would partake in such a conversation.

Blog Entries

Today I was a chaperone for my daughter's 6th Grade school trip...and each museum we went thru the entrance was a metal detector and you had your bag inspected at the same time. They were quick and efficient...we didn't wait in line very long at all. But, the comfort of knowing that every person had to walk thru the metal detector felt comforting on top of bag inspections. (sort of a derail, but it does ride along the same rails kinda sorta).

Stephanie

Blog Entries

I go to AT&T park to Giants games. They do the whole wanding/real bag check, coat check thing on every person entering the park. They have half the turnstiles of Disneyland. Their average game attendance is 43K, about an average day at Disneyland. Only difference, they arrive slower at Disneyland. At AT&T, you have 43K trying to get in in a 2 hour window. ANd it usually moves pretty fast.

I have no problem with concealed carry, but as long as everyone follows the rules. If a private location says no, return the gun. Disneyland does have a lock up at the Anaheim PD, but I think it is only for LEOs.

Planning 3 trips at once...