Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Rich Moms Hire Disabled Tour Guides For Their Kids To Jump The Line At Disney"

I find it offensive. What happens is that people then start singling out truly disabled people and saying they are faking for the front of the line access! I had a friend who needed knee surgery - temporary disability - and people gave her looks and made comments about us every time she got out of the chair to go through the handicap entrance. She couldn't walk for extended periods - and standing in line would have made her injury worse. We would have been happy to wheel her through the line, but they said no.

Not only that, but the disability entrance isn't a front of the line pass! It just puts you in a queue with other people who need assistance and you wait in line there, too. I'm not sure why people think this gives you some advantage. Sometimes that line is quicker, sometimes it is much longer. It just depends.

Finally - this is a disgusting thing to teach children. Abhorrent. You shouldn't teach your kids how to game the system. And you shouldn't teach them to take advantage of a program designed to help others who NEED the help. It's disgusting. Not everything is for you, about you, or being taken from you by benefiting someone else!! Sorry - this just makes me so mad.

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

2. # ADS

Good point Drince88. I wasn't thinking about the scary flag-led tours, probably because I too try to run like the wind whenever they are coming nearby (and because they are not as prevalent in DL as in WDW). I would suggest that those may be more ethically okay because they are typically part of a larger tour of the United States than specific to a single park, but I don't know what Disney's official position is on the matter.

The only time we paid a person to do something inside the park was our engagement photos. We contacted Disney in advance and they assured us that as long as we weren't in anyone's way and only used the pictures for non-commercial purposes it was fine. To that extent, rent-a-friend (who happens to be in a wheelchair) isn't a lot different than my playing tour guide and fastpass runner this past week when my friend came to town. Only I didn't get paid for my time/trouble.

I do know that Disney was cracking down on people who showed up super early for Fantasmic with giant blankets and then "renting" space on said blankets to people who didn't want to wait in line. This seems more similar to that. I don't know what provision Disney used to prohibit those transactions but something similar may be applicable here.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Than what about all those tour groups following the people with the flags?
    I would guess those tours are officially sanctioned/recognized by Disney, though obviously not run by Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by HTanner View Post
    I find it offensive. What happens is that people then start singling out truly disabled people and saying they are faking for the front of the line access!
    I agree, it's difficult when people accuse others of faking because they might not have a disability that's obvious enough for some people, but in this case, no one is faking a disability. The people using the wheelchairs actually need them. They're just being retained by strangers to be in the parks with them so the hiring people can go on the alternate entrances with the person in the wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I do know that Disney was cracking down on people who showed up super early for Fantasmic with giant blankets and then "renting" space on said blankets to people who didn't want to wait in line. This seems more similar to that. I don't know what provision Disney used to prohibit those transactions but something similar may be applicable here.
    I think part of the issue is that money is exchanged on property. In addition, someone is charging for something that Disney provides free of service. I expect Disney would feel the same way about anyone trying to sell regular Fastpasses.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Cathy, I don't see them too often at Disneyland either, but Universal Studios Hollywood always has several groups of them.

It was the referal thing that was bugging me the most as well.

HTanner, I agree that what this is teaching the kids is horrid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Disney should allow one person to attend someone in a chair or ECV, not six. Then this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
    Really? So when I visited the parks with my daughter and granddaughter, who should wait with me and who should stand in the regular line to ride alone?

Here is the real problem. There is a MAJOR misconception about wait time for the handicap access line. This weekend was a PRIME example. We had lunch in NOS on Friday and as we were leaving about 1pm, we noted the line for the HA was about 40 mins long, and the standby line was maybe 5 mins. IASW earlier that morning was walkon, while there was probably a 10 min wait for the HA line. If people think the lines are always shorter (on a few occasions they are shorter) they will be surprised when they pay for this service and wait LONGER. (I don't know how it is in WDW, but it is longer in DL.)
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I'm not at all taking the tour companies side in this, but neither the article or their website provide a lot of details of anything that was alleged.

The website actually looks to primarily provide services to people with disabilities who could not otherwise go to such a place as Disney World (no family or chaperones to take them).

Is it at all possible that the "service" they are under fire for is matching up single travelers with disabilities and family or groups that agree to chaperone in exchange for the reduced wait times (purportedly--it doesn't always work out)?

Personally, I can't fathom purposely adopting a slow moving ECV/wheelchair into our group unless it was a dear family member. I know I am impatient, but sometimes its irritating just waiting for a stroller or a member of the group that goes to the bathroom after every single attraction (literally every one).

I don't think I would purposely trade off standing in line less at a few places for taking twice as long (or longer--especially during parades and in heavy crowds) to get ANYWHERE. This is in no way a shot at people that require wheeled transportation (I'm glad they can still enjoy the parks too), but so long as I am young enough and mobile I wanna get where I'm going with as little hassle as possible. As for Housewives of Jersey Shore...who knows.

If they are guilty, its indeed a shady thing to do...

Joey

Full 24 Hour All-Nighter Survivor ManaByte's Avatar

The flag tours aren't "tours" like you'd pay for. Those are usually bus groups and they use the flags to keep their group together.

Dream Tours has removed the VIP tour page from their website due to "inaccurate press and slander"

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The flag tours aren't "tours" like you'd pay for. Those are usually bus groups and they use the flags to keep their group together.
    How are you defining bus groups? Groups of people that fly to Orlando, stay on Disney property and use Disney transportation? They're a tour group, and the ones holding the flags aren't doing it for free.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    How are you defining bus groups? Groups of people that fly to Orlando, stay on Disney property and use Disney transportation? They're a tour group, and the ones holding the flags aren't doing it for free.
    99% of them likely bought the tickets in bulk through Disney and Disney is aware of what they're doing, and they're not abusing the GAC policy.

Similar to Grad Night, but not sponsored by Disney. At DL there are always large bus groups (schools, international tourists) being led by flags, and it's endorsed by Disney.

At Disneyland, if Disney catches someone doing an unsanctioned paid tour (like a "UNTOLD SECRETS OF DISNEYLAND" one someone got caught doing a few years ago) they will kick them out and turn them over to Anaheim PD if they think it was serious enough.

Blog Entries

GAC doesn't have anything to do with wheelchairs or ECVs, does it? You don't need any sort of pass to enter the alternate entrances if you're clearly in a wheelchair or ECV. Aren't GACs for people who are ambulatory, but can't stand in line for long periods of time?

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by shna View Post
    GAC doesn't have anything to do with wheelchairs or ECVs, does it? You don't need any sort of pass to enter the alternate entrances if you're clearly in a wheelchair or ECV. Aren't GACs for people who are ambulatory, but can't stand in line for long periods of time?
    True, but these people are no different than the people who lie to City Hall to get a GAC. The difference is, these people are paying a company to send someone with a wheelchair/ECV.

True, but these people are no different than the people who lie to City Hall to get a GAC. The difference is, these people are paying a company to send someone with a wheelchair/ECV.
    I don't have a problem with Disney allowing up to 6 people on a GAC. I've been with friends who needed a GAC and we accompanied them on certain rides up to the 6 person limit. I like the concept of employment opportunities for disabled or differently abled individuals. I don't like people charging discounted rates for services that Disney is otherwise willing to provide.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    At Disneyland, if Disney catches someone doing an unsanctioned paid tour (like a "UNTOLD SECRETS OF DISNEYLAND" one someone got caught doing a few years ago) they will kick them out and turn them over to Anaheim PD if they think it was serious enough.
    Asking again - what is the police going to charge them with in order to arrest them?

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Dream Tours has removed the VIP tour page from their website due to "inaccurate press and slander"
    Here's the cache of what was on the page yesterday:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...Fpg23CzQ&pbx=1

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Asking again - what is the police going to charge them with in order to arrest them?
    In the situations I've been aware of, trespassing. If you violate a Disney policy, they can ask you to leave the park. If you don't leave voluntarily, or if you've been previously warned and come back, they'll arrest you for trespassing.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shna View Post
    1. I don't really see that as a "tour" as much as renting a differently-abled person for the day.
    that's what I thought. the story refers to the person (as does the insider business) as a "tour guide" but when they present themselves to Guest Services they simply say they are together as a group. I guess Disney could consider it a sold tour because there was a transaction somewhere. the question is will they enforce it. The only way to do that would be to monitor and follow the "guide" to determine if they are offering anything additional to the simple rolling along with the family to each attraction. otherwise it would be hard to catch.

another padder stated that the 1% could afford the regular tour so why this one - exclusivity and one-upmanship. "i have it - and you don't" and even though they have the money why would anyone spend more if they don't have to.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Headless Chicken
    Again, GAC cards are being exploited into being nothing more than fast passes for anyone who pretends to have panic attacks, and now the wheelchair line is being abused.
    I know of an adult that has one just for a phobia of spiders that can trigger panic attacks. I kid you not. So, their entire party gets to bypass the line, just in case of spiders.

I also have a clinical phobia of insects and spiders. It's so irrational that on occasions when my shower is "intercepted" by a sudden spider, I have bolted without towel and dripping wet all the way to my front porch. (It took a LOT for me to learn to sit through "It's Tough to Be a Bug", and those are animated!)

I also suffer from occasional panic attacks, brought on by a variety of things, especially overcrowded conditions. Lack of sleep also plays a big factor.

99% of the time, I'm able to control my reactions to both of these issues through various methods.

Never will I even THINK about asking for a GAC. Both of these conditions are my own responsibility to deal with, and I don't need to be specially accommodated, especially to take away the time for someone who truly does need it. And, sadly, there really isn't much Disney can do about it, because they're not doctors or psychiatrists. It really boils down to a person's own integrity. And in this case, the integrity of the tour company. But, hopefully, they can still find a way to bar them?
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

"Rich Moms Hire Disabled Tour Guides For Their Kids To Jump The Line At Disney"

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Here's the cache of what was on the page yesterday:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...Fpg23CzQ&pbx=1
    I was just about to post that. Try reading it without throwing up in your mouth.

Headless Chicken

I totally understand if they want to offer tours to assist the disabled in having a great time, if Disney doesn't already offer that.

However, with them actually promoting "significantly reduced wait times"... what does that have to do with catering to the disabled? Some disabilities require that, but some don't, so why promote it as a feature?

Also - if that's the case, then they should assist the family in how to get their own GAC at Guest Services rather than having one for them.

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

While they mention the extra attention, (hand sanitizer at the ready... sheesh) What they don't mention and would be useful for a VIP tour is the last minute Reservations for lunch, dinner or Fantasmic. Give me a break.

My first reaction was the same as some others have posted: Who the heck would wait 2 1/2 hours for Small World?

My second reaction is this is a case of people having more money than brains. With a little research and use of FPs, you'd probably do better than with a wheelchair. We toured for the first time with a wheelchair in January because of my daughter's knee surgery. The vast majority of rides at WDW have queues that accommodate wheelchairs. In cases where we used a special entrance, most of the time our wait was about the same as it would have been without a wheelchair; in other cases it was slightly longer or shorter; and there were a few cases when it was much longer or shorter. My sense at the end of the trip was that it pretty much evened out: we spent about the same amount of time in lines as we would have without the wheelchair. The only difference is that we relied less on FPs. BUT, the wheelchair slowed us down in other ways, such as having to find parking for it outside of restaurants and shows and not being able to get from point A to point B as quickly as we would have without the chair, especially in crowds. Basically, these people are getting scammed and think they are getting a leg up, when they could tour like everyone else and use FPs if they took the time to do a little research.

The big problems I see are: 1) what these people are teaching their kids; and 2) making people suspicious of those who legitimately need to use the special entrances who may not have obvious disabilities. My daughter could walk short distances, but at home she was still using crutches whenever she left the house. She walked with a limp and her leg was very weak due to months of not being able to put weight on it. Her surgeon and physical therapist both wanted her to use a wheelchair at WDW even though they were encouraging her to walk as much as possible at home. When she was wearing shorts, her large scar was clearly visible. When she was wearing long pants and took only a few steps to get to a ride, she looked perfectly normal.

Headless Chicken

I wonder why they have a "Donate" button on their company website?

Some people....

My DH sent me this link today. I can't believe that people would do this...but then again yes I can. Just soo taking advantage of the system.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZRkIVc1zItXGDP

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    In the situations I've been aware of, trespassing. If you violate a Disney policy, they can ask you to leave the park. If you don't leave voluntarily, or if you've been previously warned and come back, they'll arrest you for trespassing.
    Thanks for the info. It wouldn't be something they could do for a first time offense then, unless someone refuses to leave when asked. That makes more sense.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know Im coming in a bit late to the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    There is a MAJOR misconception about wait time for the handicap access line.
    This.
    I visited WDW with GusMom on a scooter and GusDaughter in a wheelchair on different occasions.
    In most cases, our wait times was about the same as the standby line with maybe one exception out of several days of touring.

In short, I think this sort of "service" is a scam in different ways via alleged abuse of GAC's as well as getting people to pay to think that ECV's and WC's get you to the front of the line.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!