Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-runDisney Race Reports

Thanks for sharing the race report Running Fool. Curious, did you venture to Rhode Island to do the RnR 1/2 last year?

On an other note, compression sleeves are pretty good and at least from this runner's perspective, come as advertised.

Last edited by Bobcat; 05-03-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Thanks for sharing the race report Running Fool. Curious, did you venture to Rhode Island to do the RnR 1/2 last year?
    I ran RnR Providence in 2011 (the inaugural year) when it also poured rain (but not as cold or nasty as Nashville). I heard 2012 was beastly hot which is why they have moved it from August to later in the fall. Have you run Providence?
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I ran RnR Providence in 2011 (the inaugural year) when it also poured rain (but not as cold or nasty as Nashville). I heard 2012 was beastly hot which is why they have moved it from August to later in the fall. Have you run Providence?
    I have not run it yet but plan on it this September (pretty sure it's the 28th) and yes last year was insanely hot!! Pretty sure I'm going to use this 1/2 as my POT for WDW. I've already submitted a decent 10k time so I just need a good run for my corral placement.
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I have not run it yet but plan on it this September (pretty sure it's the 28th) and yes last year was insanely hot!! Pretty sure I'm going to use this 1/2 as my POT for WDW. I've already submitted a decent 10k time so I just need a good run for my corral placement.
    You will LOVE the course and the people of Providence really come in to support the race (and did so even in the rain).
    RunningFool

Nike Women Half Marathon DC - April 28, 2013

I got into the race on a second chance email from Nike after I had already registered for the NJ half marathon the following weekend, but I couldn't pass it up. I went into the race knowing that I would take it easy since my goal was to run for time in NJ.

The race "Expotique" and packet pickup was a in a tent set up along the Potomac just down the street from Nike Georgetown. Our bib numbers were assigned to us when we picked up our packets, so no personalized bibs for this race. I got a wristband that assigned me to my pace corral. We had some good stuff in the bag: small bottle of Paul Mitchell shampoo, Luna bar, Bare Minerals sample, and some other snacks. They had all of the major sponsors demonstrating products in the Expotique as well as a big display of all the Nike products, like Nike Training Club, Nike+ and the Fuel Band. There was a bra fitting area where I stopped to try on some different styles to find a favorite with the help of a friendly Nike Store employee. The majority of the shopping was up the street at the Nike store. That's where they had all of the official race gear. Lots of great stuff, and they still had plenty of sizes when I arrived on Friday morning, except for the special shoes.

The race start was at 7 AM, and I was staying fairly close to the start, so thankfully I didn't have to get up as early as runDisney races require. We weren't staying close enough to a metro stop to use that, so we grabbed a cab down close to the start area. There were plenty of portable toilets and no lines for the bag checks. It was a little chilly so I borrowed a jacket from my mom until it was time to line up in the corrals. From there everything went really smoothly. The course was a little crowded at first, but no one was being pushy or trying to cut through. The course is nice and flat, going past a lot of great scenery in the downtown DC area and along the Potomac.

The finish area was a little hectic. Once you cross the finish line, they scan your bib and there are guys in tuxes with the Tiffany boxes on silver trays. After receiving the coveted necklace, we passed through the food area and then got a small blue Tiffany bag at the end to hold all of our goodies. The final obstacle was the finisher shirt. There were tables piled with them and women filing through the different areas depending on size. I probably could have taken more than one if I wasn't an honest person since the volunteers weren't really checking. They had some photo backdrops at the finish, but the lines were huge so I passed those up. Paul Mitchell had a hair styling area doing cuts for charity. I went over to grab some Nuun at their tent. I never peeked into the stretching area tent, but I assume it was just a large open space. It would be nice if runDisney had a few more shade tents like that!

In order to get myself to slow down more, I carried a handheld camera to shoot the views along the way in DC.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the Nike race report - I'm so envious that you got in! Are you going to continue on as a Nike legacy?

I also heard via the grapevine that Nike is looking at other cities to host more Nike Women's events. Anything you may have heard? I think it would be wonderful if they put one in their own backyard of Portland!

RunningFool

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

LOVE the video! I was cracking up at the "Little Blue Box Ahead" sign - at the Baker to Vegas relay, "blue boxes" are the port-o-lets, so it took me a second to realize why there would be such a pretty sign announcing an outhouse.

Damn, and now I want to run DC too...

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Thanks for the Nike race report - I'm so envious that you got in! Are you going to continue on as a Nike legacy?

I also heard via the grapevine that Nike is looking at other cities to host more Nike Women's events. Anything you may have heard? I think it would be wonderful if they put one in their own backyard of Portland!
    I will probably continue as long as I can fit it into my schedule. I had a good time, and DC is a fantastic city.

I haven't heard anything. I don't even know where a person would hear such a rumor. I'm sure they will consider it as long as the events are so popular, but I would think they'd want to wait a bit before adding another one.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    LOVE the video! I was cracking up at the "Little Blue Box Ahead" sign - at the Baker to Vegas relay, "blue boxes" are the port-o-lets, so it took me a second to realize why there would be such a pretty sign announcing an outhouse.

Damn, and now I want to run DC too...

AVP
    Thanks! These blue boxes are much better.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I absolutely loved that video! Why do I always get so emotional seeing people run? And what a spectacular city to run through. I wanted to do it this year, but spring was just too busy. It's definitely on my list! What a great way to incorporate an educational vacation for my family!
    Thanks again for the video!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing that!! I liked the "blue box ahead" too! Haha!!
    We just painted my daughters room blue and used my Tiffany box to match the paint.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Why do I always get so emotional seeing people run?
    I think it represents a lot of different things. And then you see someone who's obviously overcome many challenges to get there (or they are dedicating their run in honor of someone/something) and then it gets hard to breathe because you're trying not to get too verklempt.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Thanks all. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Blog Entries

Non-runDisney Race Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I think it represents a lot of different things. And then you see someone who's obviously overcome many challenges to get there (or they are dedicating their run in honor of someone/something) and then it gets hard to breathe because you're trying not to get too verklempt.
    This!!! Yes!!!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon

Woke up at 4:20 so we could catch the 5:15 shuttle from the Fess Parker Resort (in Santa Barbara) to the start line in Santa Inez (about 40 miles away) with all the fundraisers from Team ASPCA.

I was hoping to set a PR and fortunately, they had ONE official race pacer, and her sign said she would go at a 2:00 pace. Much faster than the 2:08 PR I'd set from Tinker Bell earlier this year, but I'd also been doing a lot of training, so I thought I'd see how long I could stay by her.

She started in the middle of the pack, which in a field of less then 4,000, means we crossed the starting line only 25 seconds or so after the official start.

The pacer started at a good pace and I was able to stay with her. It actually worked great because I make the mistake of starting too fast and burning out.

She suggested we start refueling around mile 5, especially since "Corkscrew Hill" was coming up in mile 7. Ok let me say, hills suck! People were "OMG"Ing so we all told
    Each other to keep our heads down and not look at the steepness of the hill. 0.6 of uphill switchbacks--that was painful. I managed to keep running but I definitely slowed down and took smaller steps.

Fortunately, the back side of the hill was 4 miles of a slow descent.

A little after mile 9, I was still feeling pretty strong so I peeled away from the pacer and took off with a few other women who also did the same thing.

After mile 10, I peels off and went ahead again. Ran into some ugly rolling hills that didn't seem to end--my body was hurting and my breathing got pretty labored on the uphills but I was so close to the end I just pushed myself.

The last half mile is very fast--a barly discernible downgrade and lots of cheering spectators through beautiful downtown Solvang.

I turned the last corner and could see the finish line. Did the clock day 1:59? Yay a PR--except I was ahead of the pacer and he'd promised everyone she'd get everyone in by 1:59:30 and she was well behind me!

I got closer, and realized it actually said 1:57, not 1:59!

I ran as fast as my tires legs could carry me, and I finished at 1:57:40 on the clock--my tag time was 1:57:26! My pace was 8:53 (including the hills) and I improved on my previous PR of 2:08!

All in all a great course (even with those hills)--saw horses, cows, bison, lots of vineyards. A great little race with tons of support. The finish line was at Solvang Park, which is the town square. They had bands on stage and a wine tasting with 18 local vi years--so nice if you like wine. I would definitely recommend this race!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on the PR! I'd seen on the official results (yea, I'm a stalker ) that you'd broken 2 hours and I was hoping that was your goal!

Cathy

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Congratulations on the PR! I'd seen on the official results (yea, I'm a stalker ) that you'd broken 2 hours and I was hoping that was your goal!
    Hehe! I hadn't even thought to look it up online and link to it--I went to look for the printed results at the info tent!

yrah, I was hoping for a sub-2:00 but didn't want to jinx it by saying it out loud beforehand.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

Wow, Lani! Outstanding PR!!! Congratulations.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Wow, Lani! Outstanding PR!!! Congratulations.
    Thanks!

I ran as fast as my tires legs could carry me, and I finished at 1:57:40 on the clock--my tag time was 1:57:26! My pace was 8:53 (including the hills) and I improved on my previous PR of 2:08!
    Lani that is AWESOME! I was so excited for you as I was reading your report! Another Mousepadder PR for the month of May, woohoo!!
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Completed the Mermaid Series 10K on Saturday with DD.
    It was well ran and organized. We opted for morning of race bib pick up and that was easy. However, I was thankful my friend also ran the race and had her car there because they didn't offer any plastic bags to put your race shirt and any other personal belongings in for the bag check so we trekked back to her car to put our stuff in her trunk.
    I wanted to get a double digit training run in before the Mountains to Beach run on May 26th, so the plan was to walk there, do the 10K, and walk home. (The race was only 3 miles from my house)
    We did a moderately slow walk there and stopped our Run Keeper.
    By the time the race started (8:30 am) the cloud cover was completely gone. I was a little self conscious to wear a tank top but I knew it was going to heat up that day, I just didnt think it was going to heat up so MUCH! I'm also glad I gave DD and I a layer of SPF 75!
    I was shooting for a 14 minute mile or under and ended up with a 15 minute mile. The heat just really got to me and I think walking the three miles and than stopping for over an hour did not help us.
    A friend of mine ran the race too like I mentioned and we took our girls to breakfast after wards. We could of made the walk home to add the extra 3 miles but we would of been walking slow and would of needed to stop at the store for more liquids.
    All and All I LOVE medals, but the little Mermaid charm we received was a nice change and "girly". I also bought a different mermaid charm and chain to wear the awarded charm with. Its cute.
    I would run another one of their events for sure.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, I should report on mine!
    I did a 5k on Sunday, mostly for the fun of it. It was for Girls On The Run. The girls (mostly grade and some middle schoolers) have been working all school year towards this event, and others could join in, which is what I did.

After horrendous weather on Friday, and marginal on Saturday, Sunday dawned GORGEOUS and with nice low humidity. It ended up warming up pretty well, but not excessively.

I was looking at this as if I was a background player to the girls, and initially planned to make sure I (as a walker) didn't finish before any girls. About a mile in (I started at the back) I was coming up on a girl quite quickly, and realized I would have a tough time keeping behind her. I 'asked' her if I could pass her (it was almost as if she maybe was sick or hurt) and she was ok with it. Through the rest of the course, I passed about a dozen girls, and towards the end, I said to a couple, 'You better not let me finish before you!' And they didn't!

I kind of question if all of the girls had done all their training, but they all finished (and it was two adults who brought up the rear), and everyone finished in under an hour.

It was really what I'd call a 'fun run'! They had people out cheering at 3 different spots, and they cheered for adults as well as girls, so that was fun! They had a snoball stand out and the line was pretty long, so I skipped that. They had a chiller of water out, and I thought about refilling my bottle, until I noticed he was refilling it with small bottles (8 oz!) because they'd gone through the gallons they brought! They had a larger turnout, and it was a little warmer than anticipated. Fortunately, I hadn't fully emptied my car of purchases from the previous day, so I was able to donate the 2.5 gallon container that was still in my trunk!

As this was only my second 5k, and my first had been on a course described as 'rolling country hills', I was definitely faster, though with my initial plan to stay behind girls, I hadn't gone full out like I thought I'd be able to.

But most importantly, I had FUN, and I think the girls all did, too!

Cathy

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon
    946382_10151628892301352_495664400_n.jpg

I splurged and bought race photos this time. Here's me finishing behind a topless guy.

Blog Entries

Awesome!! I love that you're airborne and looking STRONG!

Congrats, Lani! If I can come within an hour of your time, I'll be thrilled!

Yesterday I ran the Long Beach Pride Rainbow Run 10K.

The course was along the beach running path, with views of the Queen Mary, and it was lovely. There is a ramp from the street down to the beach, then people doing the 5K turned right, 10K turned left, each was was an out and back 5K loop, so the 10K people ended up completing both loops, which I preferred to doing the same loop twice, so I liked that.

The first thing I noticed was that the Start/Finish line was at the top of the ramp down to the beach, which of course means FINISH LINE AT THE TOP OF A HILL! More on that later.

The race started at 8:00, and it was already much warmer than I had expected for that time, and just got hotter as the race went on. During the race, I kept thinking, "I bet I could go faster if it wasn't so hot" but when I looked at my watch, I was thinking, "Maybe I actually AM going faster just because I want to be done with the heat!"

I am NOT fast. But, yesterday, I was fast FOR ME. My previous PR for a 10K was 1:27:43 (my 10K split from the DL 1/2) for a 14:15 mile. Yesterday, I finished at 1:18:59, a 12:42 mile. I couldn't believe it! I think a lot of it had to do with the other runners. At the DL 1/2, I could look back, and see hundreds of people behind me, making me feel like I was doing OK. This race had a total of 163 runners, only 56 of which finished the 10K. I was #54. I was determined to just NOT finish last. Because the race was sponsored by a running club, the field was made up of much more serious runners than myself, most of whom were actually trying to compete, rather than just to finish, so I knew going in that I was going to be toward the back. I've got to admit though, it was a bit disheartening to look behind me and only see ONE person when I was faster than I have ever been! (I did later pass someone else, so there were two behind me, and I almost caught another, but he beat me by 00:00:04.)

Now, abut that hill. Who would decide to put a finish line at the top of a hill?!?! The last half mile or so, I felt like I was wearing lead boots instead of Asics, and going up that hill was terrible. it's not a little hill either! In the pic, I put yellow arrows on the last flat part of the course, then the finish line is marked in red. The 6 mile marker was at the bottom of the hill. I know it is hard to tell how sttel the hill is in the picture, but trust me. It was BAD.
    Attachment 7496

The Good? Beautiful scenery, well organized, nice goody bags, proceeds to charity.

The Bad? THE HILL, and I would have liked more water stops. I also ran in a tutu (rainbow, to fit the theme) It was cute, and I got a lot of compliments on it, but it was annoying, and I won't be doing that again. Also, it wa too hot. The last two things can not be blamed on the race organizers though. They did a pretty good job overall.

And hey, I PR'd, so it was a good race for me.

Blog Entries

Jodi, way to go! That's a great PR! I've had a similar 10k experience. I small race, sponsored by a running club. I think only about 7 or so people crossed after me.

I also agree, if I can finish within an hour of Lani's PR I'll jump for joy.

I'll be chasing that sub three hour half marathon again this weekend. My current PR is 3:05:something.