Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Next trip: late June or July ?

Next trip: late June or July ?

Hi,

We are planning next 10 day trip either late June (6/16 to 6/26) or July (7/14-7/24).

I know both plans are during busy summer time.
    But if you compare these two plans, one can be busier than the other?

June schedule
    So Cal AP is valid but blocked during grad nite 6/19-6/22.
    Select is blocked all the way.

July schedule
    Both Select and So Cal are blocked all the way.

We have Deluxe AP.

Thank you for your help!!

2. # ADS

I've never gone in June - we always go in July because of DH's profession - but I'm going to assume that June would be less busy because lots of schools are still in during that time. In July the line waits are usually 1 to 2 hours for pretty much everything, and even longer sometimes. Have you ever seen the line for the Matterhorn wrap all the way around the Matterhorn, pretty much back to the beginning of the line? I have.... If I were you I'd go with the June dates. Plus, July is always SO hot....

Sorry both my June and July experience were too long ago to be of any use.
    But, I would lean more towards June myself. I wouldn't worry about grad nights too much. The weather will hopefully be cooler. Are you blocked for Saturdays in both of those time periods?

Yes, my Deluxe pass is blocked for all Saturdays in both of those time periods.
    I am planning to visit Hollywood on Saturday, I hope the traffic is a little better during weekend??

In addition to grad nites, I am wondering about the local crowds during last week of June.
    That's last week before So Cal pass is blocked for the summer. (Select is already blocked)
    I hear locals tend to fill up the park right before their block out dates?

I have heard that as well. Hmm. We have found even off season Sundays are crazy with locals.

When we were there last June during CL opening there was a huge difference between the days the SoCal passes were blocked (weekends) and the rest of the week. Even though it was CL opening weekend it was much lighter than Mon-Wed. My sister had the same experience a few summers before too.

Schools are just getting out during the June dates, plus June is going to be much cooler than July. Depends on if you want to heat or not. I think you are in a great position either way since you have 10 days.

by mid June most schools are out. The weekends are really bad in the Summer. At least it was many, many years ago when I was a kid. The beginning of June is good though if you can pull it off. There are gradnights though to contend with.

Living life to the fullest

http://www.oilyhabit.com/

Since you are going for such a long trip, I don't think it will really make much of a difference. Comments about weather are probably true--although sometimes it is hottest here in So-Cal in August/Sept./Oct. versus June/July (like, say, in the midwest where I grew up). You'll probably have a few more overcast not quite so hot days in June (the "June Gloom"). As far as crowds and ride lines, to state that all lines will be 1-2 hours is a bit of an overstatement. I've found that, regardless of the time of year, you can get in a lot of rides during the first 3-4 hours the park is open--say until about 11 or 11:30, then fall back to eitherhigh capacity things like Muppet Vision, Bug's Life, etc. or just walk around and enjoy the ambiance. Also for the amount of time you are going I would suggest a mid-day break either back at your hotel, or perhaps seeing a movie in DTD or a more leisurely lunch somewhere in DTD or at one of the resort hotels. The crowds become somewhat intolerable midday for me and my husband at least.

May I ask what you want to see in Hollywood? I "get it" that tourists want to visit "Hollywood", but it's a bit of mess and kinda gross--not at all glamourous. When I have out-of-towners request going to Hollywood, I try to get them to the Chinese Theater and the footprints by 10 AM at the latest and then take them on a hike up into Griffith Park from the Observatory for wonderful views of the whole city as well as the Hollywood sign--then have lunch/brunch somewhere in Los Feliz. I'd be happy to send you more specific tips if needed. Happy trip planning!

Thanks to everyone's replies, I figured both periods are very crowded anyway.
    I should go by the weather.
    I am leaning toward June dates.

Regarding Hollywood, thanks for asking...I really don't know what to do yet.
    I have heard Hollywood is not the cleanest place on earth.
    Our idea of Hollywood is visiting Chinese Theater footprints and walk of fame.
    Then take picture of ourselves with Hollywood sign in background. Don't know anything beyond that.
    Griffith park and Los Feliz sound good, though.

Will Chinese Theater be really crowded at end of June Saturdays?
    I was hoping to do character breakfast Sat morning and head to North but it might be tight to arrive at Chinese Theater by 10AM.
    Is traffic better Sat mornings, I hope?

there is a great view of the Hollywood sign if you go to the Hollywood and Highland shopping center on the second level. if you are going to be there late in the day, Jimmy Kimmel films his show next to the El Capitain theater. It's fun and some nights there are red carpet premieres at the Chinese theater