Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend: Race Roster

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WDW Weather is tracking to highs in the low 70's and lows in the low to mid-50's.

Fingers crossed it keeps trending to cool weather. After last year's heat, cool would be great!

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 WDW Marathon Weekend: Race Roster

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    WDW Weather is tracking to highs in the low 70's and lows in the low to mid-50's.

Fingers crossed it keeps trending to cool weather. After last year's heat, cool would be great!
    Ditto!
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

For the "Dopey Challengers" have you seen the MarathonFoto special offer of $84.95 to download all the race photos? (If purchased ahead of time.). I'm just curious, because of the way the offer is worded, do you think this is really offering "all" pictures from all 4 races? It says "Full resolution printable images of all your personal photos from 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon presented by CIGNA, and special Race highlights for you to keep, share and print. Premium Download contains only photos from 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon presented by CIGNA."

I'd be tempted if it were all 4 races...

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    For the "Dopey Challengers" have you seen the MarathonFoto special offer of $84.95 to download all the race photos? (If purchased ahead of time.). I'm just curious, because of the way the offer is worded, do you think this is really offering "all" pictures from all 4 races? It says "Full resolution printable images of all your personal photos from 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon presented by CIGNA, and special Race highlights for you to keep, share and print. Premium Download contains only photos from 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon presented by CIGNA."

I'd be tempted if it were all 4 races...
    Their Goofy package included both races.

Blog Entries

Well so much for cool weather in WDW. Looks like we're trending up for Saturday (high 70's) and Sunday (81) with low's down only in the high 50's / low 60's. This is sooooo not good.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well so much for cool weather in WDW. Looks like we're trending up for Saturday (high 70's) and Sunday (81) with low's down only in the high 50's / low 60's. This is sooooo not good.
    Seems to be the trend for the last couple of years. I was hot watching the marathon finishers in 2012 in shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Seems to be the trend for the last couple of years. I was hot watching the marathon finishers in 2012 in shorts, a tee shirt and flip flops.
    Sadly yes. The hot weather seems to follow just about every runDisney event except Tinker Bell (and that one may also be a warm one as well).
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    The question had come up regarding the WDW 5k and if it would be timed now that it's part of the Dopey Challenge. According to the print waiver instructions, it appears that for those doing the Dopey Challenge, it may be. For anyone not in the challenge, it's business as usual and will remain un-timed.

*The B-Tag is only given to marathon, Goofy challenge, half marathon, Dopey challenge, 10k, and Mickey mile runners.
    Based on that statement, I'm going to assume that the 10K will be timed, but the 5K will not (because the 10K folks will have a tag on their bib, but not the 5K people). The Dopey people will have one single bib for all four events, so of course it has to have a B-Tag on it.

I think what's going to happen is that they MIGHT put a clock at the finish line for informational purposes only. They MIGHT put a tracker under the finish line to verify that Dopey people actually finish... but if they use a wristband method, they won't need the tracking mat at all.

We'll find out in ONE WEEK, anyway. :-) ONE WEEK!!

It doesn't really make sense to just time the Dopey people. That's an awful lot more work from a logistical standpoint that doesn't really make sense for the race organizers.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Based on that statement, I'm going to assume that the 10K will be timed, but the 5K will not (because the 10K folks will have a tag on their bib, but not the 5K people). The Dopey people will have one single bib for all four events, so of course it has to have a B-Tag on it.

We'll find out in ONE WEEK, anyway. :-) ONE WEEK!!
    Actually, according to the marathon program, Dopey's will have two bibs - one for the 5k / 10k and one for the half / full. Both will have B-tags.

And yes, we are one week from launch. By this time next week, the 5k will be complete and we'll be looking forward to the 10k Friday morning!
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Actually, according to the marathon program, Dopey's will have two bibs - one for the 5k / 10k and one for the half / full. Both will have B-tags. !
    [Toy Story Aliens]

Ooooooooooooooooo!!!

[/ Toy Story Aliens]
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    [Toy Story Aliens]

Ooooooooooooooooo!!!

[/ Toy Story Aliens]
    Love those guys.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Caught the regular WDW ESPN WWoS bus at 9:00 a.m. this morning to get to the expo instead of waiting for the runDisney event bus at 9:30. Glad we did. Packet pickup and expo were already open (they were advertised at 10:00 a.m.)! Lines for the new New Balance shoes were incredibly long (and outside in the wind and cold). Picked up Dopey merchandise and Dopey race bibs / shirts without any lines or issues! Woo hoo!

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Oh, and the new updated cafe is open in All-Star Sports. Includes a new cup technology. There must be a chip in the 'buy and re-use' mugs as on purchase the cast member placed it on a small machine that confirmed the number of days bought. When used at the new drink fountains, you place the cup on a small black square under the beverage of choice that then recognizes the cup and notes on a small screen how many days the cup is good for. Then the beverage is released.

Guess bringing back the same old mug trip after trip is now over for many regulars!

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Guess bringing back the same old mug trip after trip is now over for many regulars!
    They've been using the RFID chip-enabled "Rapid Refilll" mugs at the Pop Century since at least my last stay there (which was for Wine & Dine). One thing to note is that the RFID stuff seems only to be for the soft drink dispenser. So far as I can tell, it's not enabled for the hot chocolate, coffee, or hot water dispensers. Something to be aware of.

I, too, got my Dopey merch out of the way. I was generally extremely pleased with the way they handled official merchandise this time. They had a ton of "I Did It" shirts all folded and stacked against the back wall and you just walked up and asked a CM to retrieve a size for you. They had samples on the counter so you could see the front and back of the shirts... and they seemed to have shirts for all events (except I think the 5K). It's something I'd mentioned they should do -- I won't take credit for it but I'm really happy to see the method being used!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Well, that's one race out of the way. 3 to go.

Blog Entries

Been raining on and off most of the day but beautiful morning for a 5k. Looks like we're (hopefully) clear tomorrow morning for the 10k. And in REALLY good news, temps on Sunday are trending back down in the low 70's / mid-50's for the marathon. Woo hoo!

RunningFool

I was watching the weather and when I saw a 10 degree drop between Sat and Sun I almost cheered out loud. I am so excited for all of you. Perhaps there will be some sweet cloud cover and a light cool breeze to help give all of you wings.

Blog Entries

Two down, two to go!

Wristbands.jpg

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I was probably between miles 2 and 3 when I heard a "Are you Lani?" -- the fellow who called out my name was none other than Daryk, Mr. VegasPixie! So I said, "Where's Kim?" and he pointed behind him; she was just a few steps behind us!

I just checked the results and they were right behind me at the finish line -- I wish I'd known; we could've all finished together!

My 5K time was 28:21, and my 10K time from today was 57:38 net time (58:33 clock time). VegasPixie (and DH) finished at 57:44 with a clock time of 29:04.

The hardest part about the 3K was trying to not shoot out too fast. Need to conserve energy for the next two races!!

@Lani It was so crazy that we were able to pick you out of that crowd, in the dark! We stayed pretty close to you for most of the race and I actually tried to catch you near Spaceship Earth so I could finish with you, but my feet slipped as I sped up (that surface was crazy slippery) and that scared me - 39.3 miles yet to run - so I backed off.

If we don't spot you again, have a great half and full - and that goes for all the Mousepadders running this weekend!

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries

Dopey day three complete. One more to go.

And two miles into the marathon, we'll be halfway through the Dopey Challenge!

Dopey Day Three.jpg

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Go get it Dopey Challengers and Marathon runners! This is what you've been training for. You don't need luck, you've got bada$$ skills'

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Vegaspixie and her DH caught up to me in Epcot on the way towards the finish line... which means she ran a REALLY mean pace because she started in corral E. Sure enough, her finish time was an amazing 4:18:09 -- You and DH did FANTASTIC!!!!! I tried to stay right behind you but I didn't have enough extra oomph to pick up the pace. My finish time was 4:29:24. I'm just happy I was below 4:30. Woot.

How is everyone else feeling?!?!?

Congrats to all the runners this weekend!
    I am especially awed and inspired by the Dopey Challengers! You guys rock!

Blog Entries

I finished and for that I'm thrilled. Felt a pop in my ankle around mile 19 of the marathon which reduced me to a gimpy walk the remaining seven miles. Visited the med tent after the race (all the while freaking out they would run out of medals before I could escape) and will be visiting my doc today when I get home.

Tinker Bell weekend should be interesting...

RunningFool