Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    "Only" 20 miles. LOL! Who says that? Oh yea, runners do.
    Right? I know...that's when I realized he might warm up to the idea.
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    Right? I know...that's when I realized he might warm up to the idea.
    Peer pressure! Let me know if you decide to, we'll be spectating Sunday.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by swanie View Post
    Alrighty folks, I'll be the first one to commit to this for '15.

Dopey + Tink + Dumbo = 11 medals. I might decided to run the Tink 5K just to make it a dozen.
    I <3 you! And, I bow to your awesomeness!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I still need to verify -- Disney Visa card holders, you might want to check. I'm told that you will also be able to register early starting tomorrow, with the DVC people!

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

Wahoo!!!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Disney has revised its pacing proof rules for the WDW Marathon and Half Marathon. I've added a blog post about it (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=1075) but basically, you need to have proof of time from no earlier than January 1, 2012, and you have to submit it by no later than November 1, 2013 or else they put you at the back corral. Big change is that you can't ask for a corral reassignment at Runner Relations at the expo:

Marathoners--A big change is coming your way.

Starting with next January's Walt Disney World Marathon and Half Marathon, Disney has made a very big change to its rules:

In order to be placed in a faster corral, you must provide proof of time by a specific cut-off deadline; you can no longer bring a printout to the expo to have your corral assignment changed on-site.

If you look at the information on the online registration form for the WDW Marathon, here is what it says (bold my emphasis):

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3 hours and 15 minutes and/or the Marathon in 6 hours and 30 minutes or less, proof of time is required for start corral placement.

Please reference the Race Pacing Chart at www.rundisney.com.

Proof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2012.

Half Marathon 10K or longer
    Full Marathon 10 Miles or longer

A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:

Name of Race
    Distance
    City, State
    Date
    Finish time

*For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/13/13, - 3:35

If you do not have a proof of time to submit, list "N/A" at the point of registration. If proof of time is not provided by November 1, 2013 you will be placed in the last start corral. If your proof of time data is incomplete or cannot be verified, you will be placed in the last start corral. To provide or update your proof of time, you must email all proof of time data requested above todisneysports@trackshack.com. No corral changes will be made after November 1, 2013.

You will no longer be able to bring proof of time to the Runner Relations booth during the Expo and have your start corral placement changed.

This is a very big change from the past.

For example, look at the wording for the upcoing Wine & Dine Half Marathon:

Proof of Time:

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 2 hours and 45 minutes, proof of time is required for start corral placement.

Acceptable Proof of Time:

Proof of time should include name of race, year, distance and time finished (i.e. 2011 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon - 2:25). If you do not have a proof of time to submit, list N/A at the point of registration. Proof of time must be provided from a race 10K or longer. All forms of proof of time must be from a race after July 1, 2011. If you do not provide proof of time you will be placed in the last start corral.

I guess Disney didn't want to deal with the hassles of people wanting to get corral reassignments on-site, and deal with skewed crowds at the corrals.

I'm actually guilty of this--I actually requested a corral reassignment on three of my most recent Disney half-marathons, mostly because I quickened my pace enough from when I registered for the events, that it made a substantial difference.

This means that if you don't have proof of your finish time from a certified race held after January 1 of last year (2012), you need to run one no later than late October so you can email the information by November 1.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This scares me A LOT! I think the fastest expected time I've put down was 3:15 (PR is 3:33) (I was overly optimistic about my training). I will always be in the last corral, legitimately (and I'm fine with that part). But it also means if I try to give myself a little bit of a buffer from the sweepers by not being the last person to cross the start, I'm going to have A LOT of faster runners behind me. That last corral is going to be huge!!!

But I guess it will cut down on the people my sister was passing through out the W&D half who were 2 or 3 corrals ahead of us (She 100% walked it, but she has a very fast walking pace).

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I still need to verify -- Disney Visa card holders, you might want to check. I'm told that you will also be able to register early starting tomorrow, with the DVC people!
    Apparently pass holders as well.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pa...nts/rundisney/

I'm in! I registered with my DVC link. Just the Donald for me, but a friend and I will likely spectate part of the full on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Apparently pass holders as well.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/pa...nts/rundisney/

I'm in! I registered with my DVC link. Just the Donald for me, but a friend and I will likely spectate part of the full on Sunday.
    I've read that it's open to everyone- there is not verification (or box to check) if you're an AP holder. I'm guessing that's an error on Active's part? :/

ETA:
    https://www.active.com/register/inde...jBJS6hfYw-sso1

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmybear View Post
    I've read that it's open to everyone- there is not verification (or box to check) if you're an AP holder. I'm guessing that's an error on Active's part? :/

ETA:
    https://www.active.com/register/inde...jBJS6hfYw-sso1
    Actually it's pretty standard for early registration. It's odd they don't require any verification but that's their call. Not surprised I didn't get an email announcing the AP option - Premier Passholders pay the most and get the least as far as communications. But thanks to Fairest for the link, I'm IN the Dopey!

Oh good heavens, what did I just do...?
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Actually it's pretty standard for early registration. It's odd they don't require any verification but that's their call. Not surprised I didn't get an email announcing the AP option - Premier Passholders pay the most and get the least as far as communications. But thanks to Fairest for the link, I'm IN the Dopey!

Oh good heavens, what did I just do...?
    Yay for you! I need to make sure I have a list of names and bib numbers to track on marathon day. We'll likely spectate from inside DHS or Epcot. And you'll ALL pass me on the course Saturday. Although I'm optimistic for sub three hour finishes well before them. I'm *thisclose* to accomplishing that now.

Actually it's pretty standard for early registration. It's odd they don't require any verification but that's their call. Not surprised I didn't get an email announcing the AP option - Premier Passholders pay the most and get the least as far as communications.
    Your best bet for staying informed is social media. RunDisney uses twitter and Facebook to inform and then relies on people to spread the word. I shared the link from the WDW Passholder Facebook page to our MP Facebook page

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Your best bet for staying informed is social media. RunDisney uses twitter and Facebook to inform and then relies on people to spread the word. I shared the link from the WDW Passholder Facebook page to our MP Facebook page
    I know <sigh>. I just avoid social media like Facebook and Twitter like the plague. I did reactivate my Facebook page to follow runDisney and haven't been back once to check on it. <sigh>
    RunningFool

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Your best bet for staying informed is social media.
    And MousePlanet. ;o)
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    And MousePlanet. ;o)
    Yep, that's why I'm so thankful you guys are monitoring this. HOPEFULLY it won't fill up too quickly before I'm ready to make the decision. But I am standing firm that I will NOT rush this decision. If my first (only?) full needs to be one besides WDW, so be it. There's one in January in Baton Rouge and one in New Orleans in (usually) February that will fit my needs (but without a Mickey medal at the end!)
    Cathy

Blog Entries

Cathy, if you make the leap I will be there for you at the finish line!

If you want to register right now, you can do so on Active.com here. No AP/DVC/Visa required. No discounts.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I can't verify this but I heard that if you try to register without an actual passholder number, the web page reroutes you to the Runners World Challenge registration page instead.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    If you want to register right now, you can do so on Active.com here. No AP/DVC/Visa required. No discounts.
    Wow. Active.com has been um... shall we say... having "issues" recently. They got a public slapping from the Marine Corps Marathon organizers for doing such a poor job of running the registration when it opened last week.

Wow. Active.com has been um... shall we say... having "issues" recently. They got a public slapping from the Marine Corps Marathon organizers for doing such a poor job of running the registration when it opened last week.
    Yeah, I was surprised that it didn't require any Visa info to gain access. However, I am a Visa holder and have not received any emails related to early registration yet.

Blog Entries
    I can't verify this but I heard that if you try to register without an actual passholder number, the web page reroutes you to the Runners World Challenge registration page instead.
    It doesn't ask for the # during registration. If you don't have the direct Active.com AP link you need to go through the AP site to get it which does require you to log in as a passholder. However, I know of one guy this morning who isn't an AP, had the AP link, and registered without issue.

According to the runDisney Facebook site, the Visa link was a big mess this morning. That early registration apparently doesn't kick off until April 4th.
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    According to the runDisney Facebook site, the Visa link was a big mess this morning. That early registration apparently doesn't kick off until April 4th.
    Goodness. Well, the folks at Active.com had apparently bungled the Chicago Marathon registration process really badly (some people were double and even triple-charged), and they made a huge mess of things for the Marine Corps Marathon registration last week. Not a good track record. Wonder what's going on? It's not like they weren't expecting a huge number of registrants.

Blog Entries
    Goodness. Well, the folks at Active.com had apparently bungled the Chicago Marathon registration process really badly (some people were double and even triple-charged), and they made a huge mess of things for the Marine Corps Marathon registration last week. Not a good track record. Wonder what's going on? It's not like they weren't expecting a huge number of registrants.
    The runDisney Marketing Director who spoke at the Princess Half Meet-Up mentioned that Active.com was none-to-happy with what happened during the Dumbo registration when everyone trying to get in ended up crashing their servers. Sounds like they just can't handle large events. Frankly, after personally dealing with them to try and confirm last year's WDW marathon when the link they provided didn't work (and boy was THAT an example of how to NOT do customer service), I wish runDisney would find another registration company to partner with.
    RunningFool

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    The runDisney Marketing Director who spoke at the Princess Half Meet-Up mentioned that Active.com was none-to-happy with what happened during the Dumbo registration when everyone trying to get in ended up crashing their servers. Sounds like they just can't handle large events.
    I don't think secretly opening registration a week early to spread out demand is the answer. Disney can't be happy about this.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.