Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

A page on the Active.com website seems to have details for the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend, including a new 10K race and a new Dopey Challenge for people who want to run a 10K, a half-marathon and a marathon all in one weekend. The weekend dates are Wednesday, January 8 - Sunday, January 12, 2014

There are no dates given for the specific races, but we assume the 10K would be on Friday along with the usual 5K race. Race fees are as follows - note that the fees are the same for the 10K, the half or the full marathon:

Dopey Challenge Registration Fees

$495.00 on or before June 18, 2013
    $550.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
    $580.00 on or after August 14, 2013

Goofy's Race & a Half Challenge Registration Fees

$340.00 on or before June 18, 2013
    $370.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
    $400.00 on or after August 14, 2013

Walt Disney World Marathon

$160.00 on or before June 18, 2013
    $175.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
    $190.00 on or after August 14, 2013

Walt Disney World Half Marathon

Walt Disney World 10K

Family Fun Run 5K

$60 per participant

runDisney Kids Races Registration Fee

$15.00 per Kids Dash participant
    $30.00 per 1-Mile Run participant

There is no indication of when registration will open, but we'll keep an eye out for an official announcement from RunDisney. More details, including age requirements, are on Active.com.

Adrienne

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Headless Chicken

Ok, who's doing Dopey? You will so be my new hero.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone PLEASE remind my brain that I publicly vowed to only do one full marathon in my life and that the promise of new Dopey bling is not a reason to even consider thinking about the challenge 'cause right now the brain is saying "ohhhhhhh, wouldn't this be cool....". Dear heavens, I would never live down the 'told you so' from Thomas.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

$500 to register for all three events. Wow. They better give you a medal the size of Flavor Flav's clock necklaces.

I was going to wait until a Goofy anniversary but this one is tempting. Hmm...

PS: I can't even imagine what the official merchandise area might be like. I hope they get THAT figured out well in advance. Actually, they should have pre-order forms for those who are officially registered, like they do with Dooney bags.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

And don't forget the Tinker Bell half is just one week after the marathon. Could be an expensive and exhausting 10 days in January!

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    And don't forget the Tinker Bell half is just one week after the marathon. Could be an expensive and exhausting 10 days in January!
    If I did the WDW Dopey there's no way I'd do the Tinker Bell.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    $500 to register for all three events. Wow. They better give you a medal the size of Flavor Flav's clock necklaces.
    I know they make them. I think it was Little Rock that gave medals that size out.

That's a lot of money, for sure.
    Cathy

In an attempt to potentially justify the entry fee, participants who run the Boston Marathon pay $300 to run that one race. When you look at the big picture, 3 great races, odds are amazing hardware along with great goodies in general, the sting of the entry fee seems a bit easier to take!

Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

I might do the 10K and half combo, but it doesn't look like you get anything extra for that.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I might do the 10K and half combo, but it doesn't look like you get anything extra for that.
    OH! I think I misunderstood the comment you made on FB. Now I get it. Doh!

As for me, here's MY concern: Having spoken with two back of the packers who did 2012 & 2013 WDW Halfs, that course is already SO crowded. WHY would they try to crowd it even MORE????
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    As for me, here's MY concern: Having spoken with two back of the packers who did 2012 & 2013 WDW Halfs, that course is already SO crowded. WHY would they try to crowd it even MORE????
    I HOPE they don't add any more total people to the half - they'd just have fewer spots available for those 'slackers' who 'just' want to do the half.

(And for those that don't know me personally - I'm using 'slackers' and 'just' sarcastically. Very sarcastically.)
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Nope - nothing special at this point.

I'll bet the people who for years have done the "unofficial Dopey" of the 5k, half, and full must not be very happy with the new challenge name! They kind of had it first.
    RunningFool

For that price and the fact that you are running the Goofy to complete Dopey, I would have to assume that the Goofy would be included. Which by my calculations, would be that you could earn 5 medals in one weekend. Sweet sassy malassy! I would need help supporting my neck with all that bling.

I am doing the Goofy in 2014, now I just need to find a way to convince the wife. Oh the possibilities...

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just got charity group info. It looks like to be officially Dopey you have to compete in the timed 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Four events.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I just got charity group info. It looks like to be officially Dopey you have to compete in the timed 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Four events.
    There is a post on the Disney Parks Blog as well that includes a video/"invitation". Apparently you get 6 medals as well! One for each, plus the goofy and dopey.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmybear View Post
    There is a post on the Disney Parks Blog as well that includes a video/"invitation". Apparently you get 6 medals as well! One for each, plus the goofy and dopey.
    Our autoposter picked it up: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...-World-Maratho

Six medals but it also means we need to do the 5K, not just the 10K, half, and full!

PS: They snuck the info smack in the middle of the YouTube video in the blog post, but registration starts Tuesday, April 9th at noon Eastern.

I think everyone who actually runs all of those races will truly earn the Dopey title!
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Holy cow... That's a lot of bling, AND a TON of mileage! I'd consider the full marathon (and hate myself later), but I feel light years away from being ready for a Dopey Challenge! If the Cip and Dale relay were happening, I'd 100% be there already. Sadly, that probably won't be a reality for me.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Force is strong in this one

Must... Not... Enter.... Sooooo tempted....

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Alrighty folks, I'll be the first one to commit to this for '15.

Dopey + Tink + Dumbo = 11 medals. I might decided to run the Tink 5K just to make it a dozen.

www.RunningoftheEars.com

MA Teams Luck Be a Lady & It's My Way or the Skyway!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanie View Post
    Alrighty folks, I'll be the first one to commit to this for '15.

Dopey + Tink + Dumbo = 11 medals. I might decided to run the Tink 5K just to make it a dozen.
    You're THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET!!!

I might join you. MIGHT. I need to see what the podiatrist says next Tuesday first.

I just talked to DH and a) he's still uninterested in doing any runDisney events and b) he doesn't want to go on the trip to Orlando for this with me because the trip would just revolve around me running. I said, "Well we'll talk about it later." lol

I have a feeling registration will fill up in an hour or two. Registration opens at noon Eastern on Tuesday, April 9th so anyone thinking about doing this will likely need to decide by then.

The group I'm heading down with wanted to do Dopey BUT we get to WDW on Thursday and therefore would more likely than not miss the 5k. Sticking with Goofy!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    The group I'm heading down with wanted to do Dopey BUT we get to WDW on Thursday and therefore would more likely than not miss the 5k. Sticking with Goofy!
    No doubt much saner.

On a different note, I'm way impressed by your string of Boston finishes. Wow. I'm definitely not worthy...
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    No doubt much saner.

On a different note, I'm way impressed by your string of Boston finishes. Wow. I'm definitely not worthy...
    Thank you for the kind words...It's much appreciated! This winter has taken its toll on our training up here in the Northeast (Massachusetts to be specific) And may I add, with a countdown running to 100 half marathons you'd be very worthy of a Boston spot. It's a brutal course my friend!!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

I'm glad there's a few weeks to decide. My brain keeps going back and forth on this one. It's a lot of running. I remember doing Goofy, and it wasn't pleasant (but of course there was sleet and freezing temps at those races, hopefully that won't happen again).

My DH's first response was "no way." He feels he's "done" his marathons in life (Vegas RnR, WDW, and St. George). But when we talked about being among the first to do this, and that we are already going to be among the first to complete a Dumbo challenge this year, he started to change his tune. "Do you promise that we can only train to 20 miles?" he asked (previous marathon training took us all the way to 24 mile long runs).

So, maybe. Tempting.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!