Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

A page on the Active.com website seems to have details for the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend, including a new 10K race and a new Dopey Challenge for people who want to run a 10K, a half-marathon and a marathon all in one weekend. The weekend dates are Wednesday, January 8 - Sunday, January 12, 2014

There are no dates given for the specific races, but we assume the 10K would be on Friday along with the usual 5K race. Race fees are as follows - note that the fees are the same for the 10K, the half or the full marathon:

Dopey Challenge Registration Fees

$495.00 on or before June 18, 2013
    $550.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
    $580.00 on or after August 14, 2013

Goofy's Race & a Half Challenge Registration Fees

$340.00 on or before June 18, 2013
    $370.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
    $400.00 on or after August 14, 2013

Walt Disney World Marathon

$160.00 on or before June 18, 2013
    $175.00 between June 19, 2013 – August 13, 2013
    $190.00 on or after August 14, 2013

Walt Disney World Half Marathon

Walt Disney World 10K

Family Fun Run 5K

$60 per participant

runDisney Kids Races Registration Fee

$15.00 per Kids Dash participant
    $30.00 per 1-Mile Run participant

There is no indication of when registration will open, but we'll keep an eye out for an official announcement from RunDisney. More details, including age requirements, are on Active.com.

Adrienne

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Headless Chicken

Ok, who's doing Dopey? You will so be my new hero.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone PLEASE remind my brain that I publicly vowed to only do one full marathon in my life and that the promise of new Dopey bling is not a reason to even consider thinking about the challenge 'cause right now the brain is saying "ohhhhhhh, wouldn't this be cool....". Dear heavens, I would never live down the 'told you so' from Thomas.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

$500 to register for all three events. Wow. They better give you a medal the size of Flavor Flav's clock necklaces.

I was going to wait until a Goofy anniversary but this one is tempting. Hmm...

PS: I can't even imagine what the official merchandise area might be like. I hope they get THAT figured out well in advance. Actually, they should have pre-order forms for those who are officially registered, like they do with Dooney bags.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

And don't forget the Tinker Bell half is just one week after the marathon. Could be an expensive and exhausting 10 days in January!

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    And don't forget the Tinker Bell half is just one week after the marathon. Could be an expensive and exhausting 10 days in January!
    If I did the WDW Dopey there's no way I'd do the Tinker Bell.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I guess the way to look at it is what's another 6 miles BUT another way to look at it is $495 is pretty pricey!! (if that's going to be the entry fee)

Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    $500 to register for all three events. Wow. They better give you a medal the size of Flavor Flav's clock necklaces.
    I know they make them. I think it was Little Rock that gave medals that size out.

That's a lot of money, for sure.
    Cathy

In an attempt to potentially justify the entry fee, participants who run the Boston Marathon pay $300 to run that one race. When you look at the big picture, 3 great races, odds are amazing hardware along with great goodies in general, the sting of the entry fee seems a bit easier to take!

Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

I might do the 10K and half combo, but it doesn't look like you get anything extra for that.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I might do the 10K and half combo, but it doesn't look like you get anything extra for that.
    OH! I think I misunderstood the comment you made on FB. Now I get it. Doh!

As for me, here's MY concern: Having spoken with two back of the packers who did 2012 & 2013 WDW Halfs, that course is already SO crowded. WHY would they try to crowd it even MORE????
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    As for me, here's MY concern: Having spoken with two back of the packers who did 2012 & 2013 WDW Halfs, that course is already SO crowded. WHY would they try to crowd it even MORE????
    I HOPE they don't add any more total people to the half - they'd just have fewer spots available for those 'slackers' who 'just' want to do the half.

(And for those that don't know me personally - I'm using 'slackers' and 'just' sarcastically. Very sarcastically.)
    Cathy

Blog Entries

So the question has come up (and I'm sure I know the answer but thought I would throw it out) - would this also get you the Goofy...?

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I HOPE they don't add any more total people to the half - they'd just have fewer spots available for those 'slackers' who 'just' want to do the half.

(And for those that don't know me personally - I'm using 'slackers' and 'just' sarcastically. Very sarcastically.)
    It is totally packed at 27k for the half and 25k for the full. Hopefully they won't get greedy and keep adding more spots but it is Disney and the Mouse never leaves any money on the table. However, if the impact of the race turns negative for too many people, they should eventually start to see slower sellouts and less interest. Famous last words...
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Nope - nothing special at this point.

I'll bet the people who for years have done the "unofficial Dopey" of the 5k, half, and full must not be very happy with the new challenge name! They kind of had it first.
    RunningFool

For that price and the fact that you are running the Goofy to complete Dopey, I would have to assume that the Goofy would be included. Which by my calculations, would be that you could earn 5 medals in one weekend. Sweet sassy malassy! I would need help supporting my neck with all that bling.

I am doing the Goofy in 2014, now I just need to find a way to convince the wife. Oh the possibilities...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Doc plans to Goofy in 2015 for the anniversary of Goofy. So if a person wanted to Anniversary Goofy, would they have to skip Dopey? ("have to" I'm not sure it would be much of a choice myself, but then, I'll never do Goofy so I can't imagine doing Dopey.)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    For that price and the fact that you are running the Goofy to complete Dopey, I would have to assume that the Goofy would be included.
    You'd think so, but if you don't officially register for Goofy itself I don't know how that works. That's one of those things @runDisney may need to clarify.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    You'd think so, but if you don't officially register for Goofy itself I don't know how that works. That's one of those things @runDisney may need to clarify.
    Yup. NEVER assume anything with Disney. We'll have to wait and get it in writing but it's an interesting idea, isn't it?
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Looks like runDisney isn't completely set with their details yet (or aren't ready to answer all questions) because they tweeted the following a couple of hours ago:

There's no official announcement at this time for 2014 #WDWMarathon Weekend, but please stay tuned.

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

By the way, it looks like they've already responded to some early reactions by dropping the 10K-only price down to $95/$110/$125, though the Dopey increase of $155 for the 10K still stands. I'll send in a query about the Dopey/Goofy question, though if they're not officially announcing details yet I probably won't get an official answer.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, someone pointed out to me the very depressing realization that I totally missed:

This means that Chip & Dale is really probably never coming back.

SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Never say never on the Chip n Dale! When I chatted with the runDisney rep back in January he said that there is still a chance they will bring it back. I'm betting however we won't see it until they need to drive up registration numbers for the full marathon.

RunningFool

Oh I so hope Chip n Dale comes back! I had a 3 week old baby for the first one so it wasn't going to happen, but Kevin and I would love to do it someday.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just got charity group info. It looks like to be officially Dopey you have to compete in the timed 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Four events.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney