Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I just got charity group info. It looks like to be officially Dopey you have to compete in the timed 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Four events.
    There is a post on the Disney Parks Blog as well that includes a video/"invitation". Apparently you get 6 medals as well! One for each, plus the goofy and dopey.

2. # ADS

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmybear View Post
    There is a post on the Disney Parks Blog as well that includes a video/"invitation". Apparently you get 6 medals as well! One for each, plus the goofy and dopey.
    Our autoposter picked it up: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...-World-Maratho

Six medals but it also means we need to do the 5K, not just the 10K, half, and full!

PS: They snuck the info smack in the middle of the YouTube video in the blog post, but registration starts Tuesday, April 9th at noon Eastern.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Our autoposter picked it up: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/show...-World-Maratho

Six medals but it also means we need to do the 5K, not just the 10K, half, and full!
    Cool, sorry, I didn't see the blog link.

Do you think you'll do it, Lani?

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kimmybear View Post
    Do you think you'll do it, Lani?
    I will NOT decide yet, but at this point, the idea sounds so intriguing that I'm wondering if I may kick myself if I don't. My final decision may depend on what the podiatrist tells me next Tuesday, though.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I just got charity group info. It looks like to be officially Dopey you have to compete in the timed 5k, 10k, half and full marathons. Four events.
    I think everyone who actually runs all of those races will truly earn the Dopey title!
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Holy cow... That's a lot of bling, AND a TON of mileage! I'd consider the full marathon (and hate myself later), but I feel light years away from being ready for a Dopey Challenge! If the Cip and Dale relay were happening, I'd 100% be there already. Sadly, that probably won't be a reality for me.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Force is strong in this one

Must... Not... Enter.... Sooooo tempted....

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Alrighty folks, I'll be the first one to commit to this for '15.

Dopey + Tink + Dumbo = 11 medals. I might decided to run the Tink 5K just to make it a dozen.

www.RunningoftheEars.com

MA Teams Luck Be a Lady & It's My Way or the Skyway!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 WDW Marathon Weekend details leaked; new 10K and Dopey Challenge added

Are they making the 5k timed now, for marathon weekend?

Cathy

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanie View Post

Dopey + Tink + Dumbo = 11 medals. I might decided to run the Tink 5K just to make it a dozen.
    You're THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET!!!

I might join you. MIGHT. I need to see what the podiatrist says next Tuesday first.

I just talked to DH and a) he's still uninterested in doing any runDisney events and b) he doesn't want to go on the trip to Orlando for this with me because the trip would just revolve around me running. I said, "Well we'll talk about it later." lol

I have a feeling registration will fill up in an hour or two. Registration opens at noon Eastern on Tuesday, April 9th so anyone thinking about doing this will likely need to decide by then.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Three.
    Giant.
    Steps.

BACKWARDS.

not it!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Here's the official press release:

Dopey Challenge Among Dizzying Enhancements
    for 2014 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend

Four-race challenge will produce six-medal opportunity for runners;
    New Walt Disney World 10K expands weekend event to five days;
    popular Runners World Challenge returns

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (March 22, 2013) After celebrating its 20th anniversary
    earlier this year, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna is
    getting even bigger next year and is offering runners another challenge that will be, well,
    Dopey.

The 2014 Disney Marathon Weekend, Jan. 8-12, will expand to five days and will
    include a 10K, along with the Family Fun Run 5K, the Disney Half Marathon, the Disney
    Marathon and Goofys Race and a Half Challenge. That creates the opportunity for an
    unparalleled proposition in the running industry: The Dopey Challenge running all four
    timed events in successive days (48.6 miles) for the chance to earn an unprecedented
    six medals.

After the Disney Family Fun Run 5K on Thursday, runDisneys new Walt Disney World
    10K, a 6.2-mile timed event, takes place Friday, at Epcot. Runners completing the race
    will receive a Minnie Mouse inspired medal.

As in past years, the Walt Disney World Half Marathon will be run on Saturday followed
    by the Walt Disney World Marathon on Sunday. Runners who complete both Goofys
    Race and a Half Challenge will receive a special Goofy-themed medal. Add on the 5K
    and the 10K and runners can earn four medals, one for each race completed, plus the
    Goofy and new Dopey Challenge medals, for a total haul of six medals.

In addition to those four races, the Disney Marathon Weekend will feature runDisney
    Kids Races and the Mickey Mile, which both take place at the ESPN Wide World of
    Sports Complex. Special ticketed breakfasts with characters will be Thursday and
    Friday following the Family Fun Run 5K and 10K at Epcot, Pasta in the Park parties at
    Epcot and runners can celebrate their accomplishments from the weekend at the Cool
    Down Party at Downtown Disney on Sunday.

The expanded five-day race weekend begins on Wednesday with the start of Disneys
    Health and Fitness Expo, giving runners extra time to pick up race packets, shop for
    the latest running apparel and technology, and meet experts such as runDisney official
    training consultant Jeff Galloway and runDisney nutritionist Tara Gidus. The expo is
    free and open to the public.

Online registration for all Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events opens April 9,
    but runners can enter early by signing up for the Runners World Challenge starting
    April 2. This limited opportunity allows runners to register for the Half Marathon,
    Marathon, Goofy Challenge or Dopey Challenge, receive customized training plans from
    Runners World magazine editors and enjoy VIP experiences throughout weekend.
    For more information and to register for Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events
    and other runDisney races, go to www.runDisney.com.

Schedule of Events

Disneys Health and Fitness Expo
    Jan. 8 11
    ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex

Disneys Family Fun Run 5K
    Jan. 9, 6:30 am
    Epcot

runDisney Kids Races and Mickey Mile
    Jan. 9, 10 & 11

Pasta in the Park Parties
    Jan. 9, 10 & 11
    Epcot

runDisney Family Reunion Breakfast
    Jan. 9 & 10
    Epcot

Walt Disney World 10K
    Jan. 10, 5:30 am

Walt Disney World Half Marathon
    Jan. 11, 5:30 am
    Epcot

Walt Disney World Marathon
    Jan. 12, 5:30 am
    Epcot

Cool Down Party
    Jan. 12
    Downtown Disney

About runDisney

runDisney is a series of seven event weekends providing runners unique opportunities to
    run various distances through Disney theme parks. Race participants earn Disneythemed
    medals, experience legendary Disney entertainment and guest service
    and ultimately celebrate their accomplishments with a Disney vacation. The original
    event in the series, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna,
    takes place in January followed by the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend in
    February, Expedition Everest Challenge in May, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-
    Miler in October and the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend in
    November. Disneyland hosts the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January and
    the Disneyland Half Marathon in September during Labor Day Weekend. More than
    125,000 running enthusiasts participate in runDisney events each year.

For more
    information, visit www.runDisney.com and follow us on Facebook (runDisney) and
    Twitter @runDisney.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Are they making the 5k timed now, for marathon weekend?
    Yep!
    www.RunningoftheEars.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    You're THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET!!!

I might join you. MIGHT. I need to see what the podiatrist says next Tuesday first.
    There's no way I can make it for '14, so you'll have me beat if you go in January. If you want to wait a year, you'll get Goofy Anniversary bling with it.
    www.RunningoftheEars.com

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Three.
    Giant.
    Steps.

BACKWARDS.

not it!
    But I betcha Doc will be drinking the kool aid!

Remember kids, if you do Goofy and DL or Dumbo in '15, you'll get anniversary bling for both Goofy and DL.
    www.RunningoftheEars.com

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah but if you do Dopey in 2014 you'll get an inaugural medal and can come back the following year and do the Goofy for the 15th anniversary bling (which after the Dopey will seem soooooo easy).

Ok guys. The non-logical side of the brain won. I'm in for the 2014 Dopey followed by the Tinker Bell 5k and half the following weekend.

Shoot me now...

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    Must... Not... Enter.... Sooooo tempted....
    I'll be cheering....and running Donald
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    If you want to wait a year, you'll get Goofy Anniversary bling with it.
    Oh wow. Inaugural 10K/inaugural Dopey merch and bling, or Dopey anniversary merch/bling. Ooooo such tough choices!!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Online registration for all Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend events opens April 9,
    but runners can enter early by signing up for the Runner’s World Challenge starting
    April 2.
    So basically, if you're willing to pay $1,000, you can register a week earlier than everybody else.

Has anyone does the Runner's World Challenge before? This makes the price of Dopey really steep but for something this rigorous I wonder if having a virtual coach would be helpful? Hmm...

Blog Entries

So guess who was at the RnR Dallas expo this morning? Yup, our friends at runDisney were there in their booth shilling for Tower of Terror sign-ups. I chatted with one cast member about the Dopey and my suspicions of an early registration were correct - had everything come together in time they would have opened Dopey registration at the Dallas expo. Boy, wouldn't have have been interesting! Explains why the reg info was found so early on Active. At this point, the cast member said there are no other plans for early registration (short of the Runners World program) and that registration would open for everyone on April 9th. No idea how many spots will be up for grabs but she thought there would be several thousand.

We also chatted about the potential for a Disney Paris half marathon and the cast member went back to very vague saying they hoped to have one in the next couple of years.

RunningFool

The group I'm heading down with wanted to do Dopey BUT we get to WDW on Thursday and therefore would more likely than not miss the 5k. Sticking with Goofy!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    The group I'm heading down with wanted to do Dopey BUT we get to WDW on Thursday and therefore would more likely than not miss the 5k. Sticking with Goofy!
    No doubt much saner.

On a different note, I'm way impressed by your string of Boston finishes. Wow. I'm definitely not worthy...
    RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    No doubt much saner.

On a different note, I'm way impressed by your string of Boston finishes. Wow. I'm definitely not worthy...
    Thank you for the kind words...It's much appreciated! This winter has taken its toll on our training up here in the Northeast (Massachusetts to be specific) And may I add, with a countdown running to 100 half marathons you'd be very worthy of a Boston spot. It's a brutal course my friend!!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

I'm glad there's a few weeks to decide. My brain keeps going back and forth on this one. It's a lot of running. I remember doing Goofy, and it wasn't pleasant (but of course there was sleet and freezing temps at those races, hopefully that won't happen again).

My DH's first response was "no way." He feels he's "done" his marathons in life (Vegas RnR, WDW, and St. George). But when we talked about being among the first to do this, and that we are already going to be among the first to complete a Dumbo challenge this year, he started to change his tune. "Do you promise that we can only train to 20 miles?" he asked (previous marathon training took us all the way to 24 mile long runs).

So, maybe. Tempting.

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Only" 20 miles. LOL! Who says that? Oh yea, runners do.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney