Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Running News & Views

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, interesting bit of news out of WDW. Looks like the Invictus Games are coming to ESPN in May 2016. Kind of cool (hey, might even mean an appearance by HRH Prince Harry) but totally blows the idea of a WDW Star Wars race during that time.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    If you have questions on running challenges take a look at the August 2015 Runners World magazine. They have a section devoted to "More fun than just 13.1" where they talk about trip planning, training, and to how to eat for challenge races. Especially timely for those taking on Dumbo Double Dare in two months.
    it appears that this article is not on the website - only print and iOS app.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Just in time for yet another runDisney race registration, here's an interesting article on "The Crowded Field of Road Races". Kind of hits what many of us have been discussing regarding too many races and too high of prices.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

For those of you who spend more of your time on treadmills than on the road what do you think about virtually participating in a race on your treadmill? A race in Cape Cod is giving the idea a shot.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Nothing like a wrong u-turn by race officials to extended your half marathon by four miles Bangkok Half Marathon. Ouch...

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Seriously...cheating at the Marine Corps Marathon. Sad...

RunningFool

Wow, that's disgusting.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

I don't get how he could get away with this. They have the data. All they have to do is look for all the people with suspicious activity. There are patterns.

Wow, cheating in a marathon. Dude.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    I don't get how he could get away with this. They have the data. All they have to do is look for all the people with suspicious activity. There are patterns.
    Most races don't have the time or manpower to check thousands of records, especially for people where their time doesn't matter to overall or age group results.

I was thinking if the data are on a computer it takes no more time to look at 49,000 records (or more) than it does to look at a few dozen. I guess they just haven't set it up that way.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

By the way, the Washington Post finally got an interview with him. You can read the article here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...2c2_story.html

The article says this:

Price said he wasn’t particularly aware of his time while on the course and wasn’t specifically trying to sneak his way into the Boston Marathon, but by virtue of his 2014 Marine Corps finish, Price was entered in this year’s Boston Marathon in April.
    This is out-and-out wrong. Qualifying for Boston doesn't automatically enter you into the Boston Marathon. You HAVE to register. In a very small window that they open for people based on their recorded finish time. It's not like, "Oh I finished at X time and look! I got an invitation from Boston to run their marathon--how nice!" Nope.

He HAD to know that he was registering with a cheated time because he had to know that he had to register on a specific date based on his "finish time" and he had to submit all the information about his Marine Corps Marathon finish time information. How could ANYONE say they weren't trying to sneak in, when the information you had to provide to get in, was all fake?!?

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    I was thinking if the data are on a computer it takes no more time to look at 49,000 records (or more) than it does to look at a few dozen. I guess they just haven't set it up that way.
    I think it's something similar to traffic cameras. They have the records of cards speeding, but they aren't going to bother ticketing every car.

I do like what the Marine Corps Marathon race directors did, because they were able to see a pattern of behavior with this guy. Reading the article, it was interesting to note that race directors generally DO double-check and verify the records when they prepare to send out age group awards. That's what happened with me for the Star Wars 10K this past January. It took over a month but they did remove the cheater from my age group in their process of verifying the top finishers before they sent out the age group plaques.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really disagree with one other statement (but maybe I'm in the minority here):

The Marine Corps race doesn’t award prize money and is not among the nation’s most prestigious marathons.
    I want to do Marine Corps more than Boston or New York or just about any other marathon. But their pacing requirements and the time of year of the race don't work for me at this point in my life. Maybe someday, but not in the foreseeable future.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I really disagree with one other statement (but maybe I'm in the minority here):
    I want to do Marine Corps more than Boston or New York or just about any other marathon. But their pacing requirements and the time of year of the race don't work for me at this point in my life. Maybe someday, but not in the foreseeable future.
    It's definitely a popular race, but as far as being one that attracts elites, it's not. That's what they're getting at with the statement.

Blog Entries

Here's a 'wow' for you. 7 marathons. 7 days. 7 continents. And I thought Dopey was a challenge!

RunningFool

Yikes!

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

You should! It is my most favorite marathon. The 14 min/mile is enforced yet not enforced. You have to hit the bridges at certain times. They do give you some extra grace for the last five miles after you "beat the bridge." The motto of MCM is "always earned, never given."

This year I was able to run with Team Hoyt for part of the time and chat with the guys pushing him. I could share story after story, but this one should be on everyone's bucket list.

Blog Entries

Running News & Views

Considering my half PR is 3:29, 14 minute miles for 21 miles is not on the close horizon. (But I did close to 15 minute miles at a 5 mile race. So I'm improving, We have racewalkers locally who could do that, so I know it's not impossible, though!)

Cathy

Blog Entries

From Runner's World - the Worst Marathon Advice Ever. No kidding...

RunningFool

Yup, all excellent advice.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries

I can't find anything official to link to, but on the FB page for the RnR Portland half marathon, they said 2016 was cancelled, and it's not listed as a 2016 'Tour Stop'.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    I can't find anything official to link to, but on the FB page for the RnR Portland half marathon, they said 2016 was cancelled, and it's not listed as a 2016 'Tour Stop'.
    Yeah, it's really bummer as the 2015 course was outstanding! I talked to the RnR expo folks last year and they weren't even sure what happened. Sad.

However, in other news, Portland is hosting a PDX Runway Run on Sept. 24th. For $30 it sounds like fun! Guess it's this since I'm not heading to Disney Paris.

The PDX Runway Run is Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016, and is a part of the year-long celebration of the Port of Portland’s 125th Anniversary. The race is 6K, from one end of the north runway to the other end, and back. Register now; participants are limited to 2,500.

More details and registration here.
    RunningFool

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Blog Entries

Lani did a runway run in Toronto a couple years back.

I saw this today, and although I somehow feel like a bad person for saying it, I have mixed feelings about it:
    http://hellogiggles.com/differently-...rl-dad-disney/

On one hand, I think what the dad is doing is awesome, but as a runner on the course, I can see where it might become problematic. Disney courses have lots of areas that bottleneck, and with the sheer number of runners, space is sometimes hard to come by. I also see it opening the door to a lot of "Well, if they get to, then I should be able to..."

Like I said, I feel bad for having any negativity toward this, but as a runner, I'm conflicted.

Any thoughts?

Blog Entries

There are ways for Disney to deal with it that (I think) would work for the advantage of all. First, they need to lay out their courses better with bottle necks - if there needs to be a narrow location, ok - but put it later in the race and don't put a water station right there. Also, let these runners start with the push rims- a race I did have them a 5 minute head start, Disney could do 15 if they wanted.

Cathy

Blog Entries

Interesting article regarding a class action suit being filed today against the NYC Road Runners Club regarding the validity of the race entry lottery.

There have been calls for runDisney to do something similar (although with the slow sells of Tinker and Star Wars Dark Side half marathons it may be a moot issue). Thoughts on the suit and whether runDisney should go that route?

RunningFool