Thread: Running News & Views

I'm wondering if that's what happened to the Nike Women's in San Francisco

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    I'm wondering if that's what happened to the Nike Women's in San Francisco
    I think that was more Nike. They have been pretty flaky with past run series / events in the past.

As for Portland Marathon, there is apparently a bit more than the city saying no due to police coverage. Seems the RD hasn't been playing nice..
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I think that was more Nike. They have been pretty flaky with past run series / events in the past.
    I was disappointed that they only had Nike D.C. one time. A friend did it and really liked it. It was something I would have thought about doing.

I remember that RnR cancelled their Vancouver race, but it looks like the race is running under another company, so it wasn't about the course then.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I was disappointed that they only had Nike D.C. one time. A friend did it and really liked it. It was something I would have thought about doing.

I remember that RnR cancelled their Vancouver race, but it looks like the race is running under another company, so it wasn't about the course then.
    Yeah, RnR actually turned the Vancouver race back over to the original race company they bought it from to run. They did the same thing with a race they bought in Lexington, Kentucky which actually never even ran as a RnR event but that one had to do with the town very unhappy that an 'outside' company had come in and taken over the local event so permits, etc were a bit more 'challenging'.
    RunningFool

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow - its so quiet on the entire Team Mouseplanet board. Sad days indeed....

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Very sad news; Harriett Thompson who owns the world record for the oldest woman to complete a marathon and half marathon, has passed away at 94.

What an amazing life. Details here.

RunningFool

That is sad news but what a life she had.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

The Running Bubble Has Popped - NY Times

"Road races have hit the wall. The number of finishers in events in the United States has fallen from a peak of about 19 million in 2013 to just over 17 million in 2016.

High fees, a glut of race options and competition from other fitness activities have shrunk the fields at many races."

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Putting this here since I don't want it to seem like I'm advertising or endorsing the race.

An ad popped up on my wall on Facebook with a company that's running a Pixie Challenge virtual run. And their medal looks an awful lot like the Pixie Dust Challenge medal from last year.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I hope people don't go for it. I'm glad you gave the company no advertisement as well. I will say I noticed something on it but will not bring up what here and much else. I do wonder if they discussed it with Disney or not. If not, could they not get in trouble for that? I think this group should have thought of a better way to do things then this if they don't have permission to use that. I can't imagine Disney doesn't have a copyright or something on that.

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    I hope people don't go for it. I'm glad you gave the company no advertisement as well. I will say I noticed something on it but will not bring up what here and much else. I do wonder if they discussed it with Disney or not. If not, could they not get in trouble for that? I think this group should have thought of a better way to do things then this if they don't have permission to use that. I can't imagine Disney doesn't have a copyright or something on that.
    There's language on the registration site that they are not affiliated with Disney and that this isn't a runDisney race. I think the loophole they can use in the name is that they didn't mention Tink. Disney wouldn't own the use of the word "pixie". I'm not sure if the look of the medal would actually survive a copyright claim, though if I were on the jury, I would definitely say it's close enough that people could confuse the two and think it's a Disney race even with the disclaimer. But Disney would have to deem it worth them doing something about.

The company has billed this virtual race as a charity race for a particular organization.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    There's language on the registration site that they are not affiliated with Disney and that this isn't a runDisney race. I think the loophole they can use in the name is that they didn't mention Tink. Disney wouldn't own the use of the word "pixie". I'm not sure if the look of the medal would actually survive a copyright claim, though if I were on the jury, I would definitely say it's close enough that people could confuse the two and think it's a Disney race even with the disclaimer. But Disney would have to deem it worth them doing something about.

The company has billed this virtual race as a charity race for a particular organization.
    The other thing is that when I did a search was at least one Disney fan site promoting it and it was up there near the top. So I can see it causing confusing with some that might not read boards and know its not officially a Disney virtual run. Agree that while they wouldn't own the word "pixie" but the title as is they could I am sure. So if all 3 of those words together used that could be an issue. As you said it would end up being if its worth it or not to Disney to bother. The medal does look close enough that I think many would agree its close enough to confuse the 2. As well as if the disclaimer isn't big enough or in a good enough spot there are those that might not see it. Which its not on the site that the money is supposed to go to btw and then its way down the other page. Then of course they did leave the "dust" part off it. For me its just the way its going about doing it though that is just not ok. Other ways for sure to do so.

Disney is pretty fanatic about infringement. Back in the day when video tape rentals were coming into fashion (before Blockbuster there were mom and pop rental stores). A family friend started a rental business. In the children's section, they had hand painted on one wall some Disney characters Bambi, 7 dwarfs, if I recall correctly. They were notified to remove it by a lawyer.

Video tape rentals - now I feel old!

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Agreed, Disney is very dedicated to its copyrights, especially where money is concerned.

This race looks troubling for a number of reasons. The "group" that they are "raising money" for is promoting the medal on there website. This group is well known and should have totally known about copyright issues, its not a one off organization. In fact this is an organization that could be seriously fined for ripping off disney as they would have the $$$ to sue for. The fact that they okayed the knock off is concerning. I believe its clearly a "Substantial Similarity" violation (of course i'm no lawyer, so i have no authoritative knowledge). Its clearly almost a direct copy and changing a word hear and there is not enough to evade copyright law.

I am curious why they didn't simply create a totally different styling of medal, say with a whole bunch of "generic pixies" that don't resemble disney? Then if the medal bore no resemblance to disney's at all i think they would be better off. For example gone for a run's recent "Magical Miles" medal. Theres a tip of the hat but no real direct resemblance per say. I think the likely reason is that whoever created the artwork may have "borrowed" the pixie wings graphic from another source. If you look at it closely you can see the ragged edges of it which look like it has been copies and then converted to transparent from another background etc. A experienced graphic designer would likely not have made these errors.

Since its on the groups site i tend to believe they did use the groups logo with permission which was another question i had. Still really poor judgement on this one sad to say. Because i think they could have done something fresher and more original and then gotten more people on board without the ethical issues.

Also i think the only reason disney hasn't jumped on it yet, is someone has to alert them to its existance.
    Anyways, not a lawyer, just my opinions

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

After Further research i can confirm those are an exact copy of Tinkerbelle's Wings, which is a violation. Cue up Vaders March as the Disney lawyers should come a running....

For any further interested is also seems to be a direct copy of the artists rendering of tinkerbelles wing which is present in the second entry on this page, the hand drawn one....

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::

fishgal, that is what bugs me is that its a major organization doing this. I do thing its to close myself in it all. I think if we still had the runs here in CA that this wouldn't be happening. It just seems like someone trying to take advantage of runDisney runners that don't have the Tink marathon this year. IMO they should have done something more fitting to their own group but then if it was it wouldn't get the same kind of profits they are probably hoping to gain from something close in name/style to a Disney named one. SMH
    BTW, you are correct in the details of the wings are exactly like Tink's. Which would be a no no as well.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fishgal View Post
    I am curious why they didn't simply create a totally different styling of medal, say with a whole bunch of "generic pixies" that don't resemble disney?
    I think they wanted something that resembled the actual Pixie Dust Challenge medal for a reason, so that more people would be interested. People aren't going to be as interested in a generic pixie race, but if they get a medal that looks like the Disney medal, especially in a year when the Disney medal cannot be legitimately achieved, I think it's a bigger selling point.

Blog Entries

I really just started running in 2014 - I'll never run 100 miles in one shot (I think) - but this "REI:How to run 100 miles" story was great and I wanted to share it. Great lesson #6 - Keep Moving Forward
    https://youtu.be/iC7Lh4opLsc

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Does anyone know whats happening with Annual Passholder early registration for 2018 Wine & Dine? All of the links on Disney websites only state 2017 W&D or end at 2018 Star Wars.

Would really like to register early!

Blog Entries

This seems so eerily familiar #swls2018

https://twitter.com/runDisney/status...070057473?s=19

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That it does olegc. I scrolled down a bit to see comments and of course there are still those that don't believe construction here is the reason for the West Coast ones being gone for now and still thinking it had to do with the city. LOL Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I think the only difference I noticed is that this postponement at least is promising more info later this week. I think when it came to the Star Wars races here, they said registration was postponed and didn't have any further information.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Based on information that's gone out to charity teams, don't read too much into it.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Based on information that's gone out to charity teams, don't read too much into it.
    Wow. A blast from the past.... Haven't seen a post in a while. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Travel agents on a FB Disney running page I follow are reporting that it's just a delay. For Anaheim, they noted that they were told to stop sales.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013