Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Running News & Views

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Running News & Views

Thought I would start a string with cool and /or interesting running news items.

In today's news, the world's oldest marathoner is retiring. At age 101. Wow...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/25/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

I can only hope to be half that healthy and live that long.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

For those of you speedy half marathoners who run in the Rock n Roll events, check out the new Half Marathon Grand Prix challenge that awards points and $$$ for top age group finishes. You may see more serious runners at these events if there is a chance to earn cash. I'll still be found plodding along in the back of the pack.

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/ro...hon-grand-prix

RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you have not yet seen this incredible story about a couple's 2-year, 500 pound weight loss journey I would recommend taking a gander especially at the pictures. The change from the first picture to the last is a wow! The final shot of her wearing her half marathon finisher's medal is just amazing.

click here for the story

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

That was very inspiring!

Not something people talk about, but I can't begin to imagine how much excess skin they must have now. You can kind of see it in the fellow's progression photos (it looks like just a fold in the shirt but I think he's not wearing Spanx under his shirt). But you know, having a lot of sag and being healthy is better than having tight skin and weighing 400 pounds!!!!!

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Thanks for sharing the article! Amazing journey for them!

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    The final shot of her wearing her half marathon finisher's medal is just amazing.
    That is such a beautiful story!

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    But you know, having a lot of sag and being healthy is better than having tight skin and weighing 400 pounds!!!!!
    Oh heck yes. I might end up with some, but it's much better than dealing with what it contained. However, I did find out that most insurances will remove excess skin (will not do "tummy tucks" involving the muscle tissue though), because it can be an infection hazard. Depending on how bad mine might be, I'll look into that when the time comes. But, until then, I really am much happier with my body now, because it's taking me places.
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    However, I did find out that most insurances will remove excess skin (will not do "tummy tucks" involving the muscle tissue though), because it can be an infection hazard. Depending on how bad mine might be, I'll look into that when the time comes. But, until then, I really am much happier with my body now, because it's taking me places.
    I've been to a support group meeting where a plastic surgeon discussed skin removal procedures after drastic weight loss. He doesn't handle Medicare patients anymore because the government changed the way they approve his procedures (they don't preapprove), but he said it's always worth checking with insurance. He has nothing to lose, because the worst they can do is say no. Generally, almost all the procedures cost around $12,000 or so if you self-pay. And you won't know what you need removed until after the weight loss and a person has stayed at goal weight for some months. A lot depends on your body and your age, and you're right -- medical issues, especially infections (not *potential infections* but those that are ongoing and documented via photographs by the doctor) are very helpful in making the case for insurance to pay.

I have a lot of skin but not enough to warrant removal. I really don't want to be out of commission for the 6-8 weeks he said it could take to heal!
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Headless Chicken

So inspiring and a big tear-jerker:

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

I love Mark Remy's blog on Runner's World. Every Friday he does a compilation of running-related items from the week as "talking points" for your weekend long run. His blog is heavy on humor and sarcasm, so it may not be to your taste all the time, but it's worth adding to your list. Here's a link to this week's "List."

Women's participation in marathons has been increasing ever since we were allowed to enter the major events. Runner's World has a rundown of the stats today.

It's definitely evident in the runDisney stats that we've seen recently where women made up over half of the participants in the 2013 WDW marathon.

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 04-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Even more amazing is the fact that women out-numbered men in the 2013 WDW Marathon which you just don't see happen.

Men 10095
    Women 10639
    Total Finishers 20734

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Women's participation in marathons has been increasing ever since we were allowed to enter the major events. Runner's World has a rundown of the stats today.

It's definitely evident in the runDisney stats that we've seen recently where women made up over half of the participants in the 2013 WDW marathon.
    It took me a moment to realize this was for full and not half-marathons. Mostly because I looked at the graph and went, "Hey, I don't think Honolulu has added a half to their course!"

So I read your link, Steph, and it said this:
    For those of you number geeks out there wanting the raw data, the following table lists the number of women finishers each year for the four marathons surveyed. The empty cells represent years that data was unavailable--women may have been running.
    I can attest to the fact that there were women running in the Honolulu Marathon at least in 1980, when I was aware of it. I ran it in 1981 and also 1992, and there were PLENTY of women in both those years.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    So inspiring and a big tear-jerker:

I've had the pleasure of meeting them and actually sharing a few steps with them on the Boston course the past few years! Hoping to do so again this coming Monday. We were fortunate enough to have them as guest speakers at one of our marathon kickoff receptions for Boston Children's Hospital (my team) their journey and words are truly awe inspiring!!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries

The Hoyts just had a statue located at the start line of the Boston Marathon dedicated to them. They will be starting their 31st consecutive Boston Marathon this Monday.

check out the dedication ceremony

And hey Bobcat, good luck and kick it for us at Boston. Looking forward to a race report from you.

RunningFool

And hey Bobcat, good luck and kick it for us at Boston. Looking forward to a race report from you.
    Thanks RunningFool!! I'll do my best and when all is said and done, a race report may be on tap. I'll say this, this is 5 in a row and odds are my last Boston for a bit but it's an amazing day locally (who runs a marathon on a Monday) and I truly am blessed to have been able to be part of an amazing team of runners who've done so much for sick children and their familes. For me, that's the bottom line. I run Boston for them, I run Disney for me.
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries

Would love to hear all the details and live vicariously through you at Boston. I still rmember having dinner a few years ago at the Old Spaghetti Factory in Seattle prior to RnR Seattle. The place was PACKED with runners and their familes; you can imagine the noise level. Two runners came in wearing Boston jackets and the place just froze. It was awesome.

RunningFool

Headless Chicken

I am truly in awe of those who run Boston. Bobcat, you are amazing!

Blog Entries

Here's another article on the Hoyt statue and ceremony in Boston. LOVE the Timex reference...

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Scottsdale hosting hottest sporting event ever. And in this case, hot means just that - HOT! If running in 110 degree weather is your cup of tea, here's a new race for you.

RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If running in 110 degree weather is your cup of tea, here's a new race for you.
    But it's a dry heat!
    (I believe there is a point, when if the heat index or actual temperature is above 105 or so, it really doesn't matter if it's a dry or humid heat - it's just blasted hot!)
    Cathy

Blog Entries

First we hear about the 14 year old who played in the Master's Tournament this weekend, now we hear about this 14 year old uber-achiever who just finished a marathon on Antarctica in memory of her late father. Wow...

http://news.yahoo.com/girls-mission-...news-tech.html

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Found a pretty interesting article on how races will change since Boston. The last three paragraphs say it all.

http://www.active.com/running/Articl...ngs.htm?page=4

RunningFool

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's the link to the first page:

http://www.active.com/running/Articl...n-Bombings.htm

(I was very confused when they were not identifying people fully! It's after 9 pm, doesn't take much to confuse me!)

Cathy

Just a reminder that you can embed links in text.

Blog Entries

If you can get through this story without a tear I will be amazed.

There is no Type of Marathon Body...

RunningFool