Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Running News & Views

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I'm enjoying watching the NYC marathon - but the wind is creating havoc with the broadcast ( it's like a badly buffering internet video). Having just done a half in windy (for us) conditions, I can just imagine how hard it is for the runners!
    My friend Kim finished it today. She said the winds were miserable. But kudos to her for running her 2nd best marathon time (out of 8) today!
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's fantastic, Fairest!

Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A last group run. If you can get through this article without a tear...

It's a great reminder why being part of the tribe called runners is so special.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries

Scenes from post-NYC marathon.

Oh, if it hurts now, wait until the day after...

RunningFool

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Scenes from post-NYC marathon.

Oh, if it hurts now, wait until the day after...
    i think its ironic that their jackets say "run for life"... well, not right now...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Christine Kennedy runs a 2:59 Marathon at age 59. Wow. There have been races where I would have been happy with that for a half marathon finish!

RunningFool

Headless Chicken
    First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Blog Entries

For those that know Dopey will eventually become 'old hat'.

The Seattle Quadzilla. 4 marathons in 4 days.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...dzillaxml.html

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Seriously, this has to be one of the saddest Turkey Trot stories ever. We've all seen people grab multiple food items at finish lines but nothing like the scene described here.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

It's the end of an era as John "The Penguin" Bingham steps down and retires from his announcing duties at the end of this weekend's Rock n Roll San Antonio.

12/08 - Here is John's last column. I'm happy to say I was at his last RnR race as an announcer and got my name called out by him. I will miss his humor and his wisdom.

Last edited by RunningFool; 12-08-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    For those that know Dopey will eventually become 'old hat'.

The Seattle Quadzilla. 4 marathons in 4 days.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...dzillaxml.html
    For what it's worth, there's some pretty amazing races out in Lake Tahoe. They have the Lake Tahoe Triple... three marathons across three days. But in conjunction with that, they have the SUPER Triple, which is 26.2 miles on Friday, + 26.2 miles on Saturday + 72.2 miles on Sunday. A friend of mine won that one last year (amazing and crazy!). The insane part is that the 72.2 ultra starts on Saturday night in order to be able to finish before the end of Sunday... so it means you run a full marathon on Saturday morning, and you don't even get a full night's rest before you have to start on the third leg.

That's not even counting all the crazy ultra races out there. People seem to think it's "normal" to do 50 or 100 miles (or heaven help us, Lake Tahoe 200 mile race, which someone else I know actually completed--absolutely jawdropping).

... OK I actually paid attention to the fine print in the article. This is not an officially organized four-race event; it's people doing four back-to-backs because they wanted to be a quadzilla with the Marathon Maniacs. That bumps you up to almost the top of (they have several).

As far as I know, there are a few quadzillas in MM, but I don't know exactly how many. There isn't an easy way to tell but I can ask around.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Did you guys see this? The women's winner of the Dallas Marathon was coming across the finish line and was about to cut the ceremonial tape when a relay runner sprinted to "beat" the marathoner and cut the tape instead!!

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/re...arathon-winner

A lot of people in various discussion groups have been aghast at the horribly selfish thing the relay runner did. While I think it's sad, I think the organizers should have waved the relay runner away or something (although they didn't really know, did they?).

What the relay runner SHOULD have done is run AROUND the tape. It was obviously not meant for her. Was she thinking that they would have a tape available for everyone who crosses the finish line?

Mostly, though, I feel bad for the relay runner. She has to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO embarrassed. How would you like to be a relatively solid local runner, and have that be what you are infamous for?

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

Thinking it was another relay runner, and kicking it into high gear is what she THOUGHT she was doing. Unfortunately, that's not what she WAS doing.

She may not have even noticed the tape until it was too late to bypass it -- I know it a lot of our local races they have to very quickly go out there for the first female, so I of lay much of the blame on the tape holders.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Thinking it was another relay runner, and kicking it into high gear is what she THOUGHT she was doing. Unfortunately, that's not what she WAS doing.

She may not have even noticed the tape until it was too late to bypass it -- I know it a lot of our local races they have to very quickly go out there for the first female, so I of lay much of the blame on the tape holders.
    I imagine she didn't realize until it was too late to stop herself. I have a feeling that there will be a different finish chute for the relay people next year.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I vote that the blame goes to the race officials/organizers/staff/crew at the finish line. There should've been someone to redirect the relay runner or if they have that much going on at the finish line, they need to have a bigger finish line to accommodate a redirect. It's a failure of finish line management.

And hopefully, they're analyzing and reflecting on it so they can prevent it from happening next time.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I'm just sad for both of the ladies. On a way, they both were cheated. A staggered start or a separate chute makes a lot of sense.

On another note, Lani that Tahoe race just sounds crazy. The weird part is that it sort of intrigues me...baby steps. I would assume an ultra comes first, then a back to back, then an ultra/marathon combo...

Blog Entries

I think they did have a staggered start - just not enough for this relay team and the first woman to finish at different times.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    The fastest marathon dressed as a sumo wrestler is 3 hr 44 min 15 sec and was achieved by Eamonn O'Neill (Ireland) in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on 1 June 2014.

Eamonn O'Neill set the record at the Scotiabank Calgary Marathon.

Gees. I'll be happy to finish the marathon in 5-ish hours in just regular running clothes. And where did this idea come from?
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

One of my co-workers is attending this race event this weekend. He's doing the 48 hour race.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    One of my co-workers is attending this race event this weekend. He's doing the 48 hour race.
    Wow! And I thought Alex doing a 12-hour race was crazy.

Blog Entries

Not race news per say but just a reminder that there can be all sorts of germy things running around the Disney parks.

9 cases of measles reported

Last edited by stan4d_steph; 01-07-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

New women's race series is being announced by Competitor. The Stronger Series is described as:

A revolutionizing new race series will be calling on women in 2015: The Stronger Series. This event is unlike anything you’ve seen before and it will change the way we look at typical running and endurance events. From the creators of Women’s Running magazine and the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon, The Stronger Series is a women’s event that combines running with strength training exercises. No sparkles, no fluff, this competitive event was designed to celebrate women as athletes. With six miles and six strength challenges, this race will be a chance for runners to test their strength, endurance, speed and heart.

The Stronger Series will be at the forefront of a fitness revolution to change the way we view females as competitors. Join the movement. Sign up at THESTRONGERSERIES.COM to be the first to learn more as we unveil additional details soon. You can also follow The Stronger Series on Twitter and Instagram.

Read more at http://womensrunning.competitor.com/...qcXMYmqmaSA.99

RunningFool

Blog Entries

You've conquered the WDW Marathon - now how about NYC?

Registration opens Thursday January 15th for the 2015 NYC Marathon. More details here.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

These have to be a common nightmares of every race director.

From the 2015 Charleston Marathon:

As most of you who ran yesterday realized, the lead vehicle led the marathon and half marathon down the wrong street between mile one and two, causing the races to be slightly long. We sincerely apologize for this and we are working on a plan to adjust all times for the total distance you ran to the true marathon and half marathon distances. This will require an added distance which we will take ASAP and advise once completed. Our apologies again for this happening and we sincerely hope you were able to enjoy an otherwise beautiful and festive day. As you know, the after marathon bike rides are taking place as we type so once those are complete an official email will go out to all participants.

From the 2015 Chevron Houston Marathon:

Congratulations to all of our 2015 finishers! And to those of you who did not receive a half marathon finisher medal today, we are so sorry that this happened. We know how important your finisher “hardware” is and offer our most heartfelt apology for not being able to give your medal to you today at the finish line. We are reaching out by email to each person affected individually, and are in the process of making this right as quickly as possible. We congratulate you on your personal achievements.

RunningFool