Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2013 Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend

Well, since registration was opened during the Princess expo for the Wine & Dine weekend, it's time to ask the question: anyone planning on participating in the 4th annual Wine & Dine half marathon?

I'm such a runDisney sucker... I'm signed up for my W&D 4th event... sigh...one more year and I'll be a Perpetual Wine-r!

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Is it open to all, or was it onsite pre-registration only.... can I sneak in online somehow? And I'm totally in for it, too! Coast to Coast time!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries

At this point it was just onsite although if they were at RnR New Orleans expo this weekend I'm betting it was open there as well. Knowing the MP runDisney gurus, I'm sure Adrienne and/or Stephanie will have links for AP and Visa for early reg very soon.

Will this be your first C2C?

RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm there. I already have DVC booked. I know a couple of other padders that will be there as well.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They sure weren't promoting it at the RunDisney booth, if they did have early registration at the RnRNOLA expo. They didn't even have a Tink medal on display, (they said she flew away) and said they weren't showing Dumbo yet either.

My sister and I decided not to do it thus year. The night race was really hard on both of us. Flying home on Sunday probably didn't help that, either.

Cathy

Blog Entries

It's funny - they weren't promoting it at the Princess runDisney booth either. I just noticed the bank of laptops, figured it was for ToT only, and just about walked past when I overheard someone say they had just finished their Wine & Dine reg. Guess this would be the proverbial 'soft opening'.

Night races can be very difficult if you're not used to running in the evening as well as dealing with the 'hurry-up and wait' of getting to the race site 2+ hours ahead. I hear you on the flight home; for both ToT and Wine & Dine I'm going to fly out Sunday morning instead of Sunday night. With a 6:15 a.m. flight to CA to be on client site every Monday, getting home at 12:00 a.m.on Monday was even rougher than just staying up and hoping an early morning Sunday flight! I'm currently sitting on the plane to CA right now running on about 3 hours sleep cause heaven forbid I can sleep on the plane from Orlando! Gonna be a looooog Monday...

RunningFool

Blog Entries

I didn't notice any laptops, but I was mostly looking at the bling!

For W&D and ToT, can you fly to California from Orlando? Means packing more stuff to WDW, but would mean a (close to) full nights sleep on Sunday!

Cathy

Blog Entries

Yeah, the bling is always impressive. Before I started participating in runDisney events, I used to just drool over the medals. Still do but now they are mine and I can drool in private!

Funny thing about Alaska Airlines and Orlando - all flights to CA run through either Seattle (go figure) or Los Angeles and are either first thing in the morning or late in the evening. I'll just head out early Sunday morning and get home in time to unpack and get in a full nights sleep. Depending on what contract I'm working on in 2014 (when Wine & Dine turns 5), I'll look at taking the Monday off and fly out that morning instead.

RunningFool

DH and I are also going to be there, DD is not joining us on this trip. Adults only.

Im definitely nervous about the night time race aspect but still excited to get my C2C.

I had such a great time at this race last fall, I'd love to do this again. Hopefully registration will not be too crazy (and hopefully there will be an early registration link for APs).

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries

HB, it was mostly the 'after' that was super tough on us. Day of we slept in, had a good meal, chilled at the pool (I HAD to utilize Stormalong Bay!) and took an afternoon nap. But it was really hard to go to sleep and then getting up the next morning on any timetable at all.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    Im definitely nervous about the night time race aspect but still excited to get my C2C.
    Thankfully we'll be on west coast time so the race will really just start at 7pm.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

We are in. Flights are booked. Now just need to book DVC at the 7 month window. I may book SoG to have as a back up "just incase"

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    DH and I are also going to be there, DD is not joining us on this trip. Adults only.
    Whoo hooo! Adult trip for us to, this will be our first real trip without kids ever!

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Thankfully we'll be on west coast time so the race will really just start at 7pm.
    RIght? i've already thought of this, we'll be able to party like rock stars after the race!!

Yes- this will be my first C2C. I've already done both Tinks and last year's Disneyland, so it'll be a nice change of scenery. I hope.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    Yes- this will be my first C2C. I've already done both Tinks and last year's Disneyland, so it'll be a nice change of scenery. I hope.
    It will be a change of scenery all right. WDW races are very different from DL races.

I'm interested in running at night. I don't like looking ahead at straight aways that don't seem to end (like heading from the start to MK at WDW half, and then back from MK to Epcot) so maybe being that it will be dark it will be less mental for me?

Blog Entries

I REALLY liked the course for W&D this past year. Start at WWoS, to and through AK (didn't know the AK tree had lights!), to and through the Studios, a wee bit onstage at Epcot, and finish outside Epcot in the parking lot. And the stretch to and from AK didn't feel as long as the MK/Epcot stretch. Don't know how it compares, but the darkness did help that.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I REALLY liked the course for W&D this past year. Start at WWoS, to and through AK (didn't know the AK tree had lights!), to and through the Studios, a wee bit onstage at Epcot, and finish outside Epcot in the parking lot. And the stretch to and from AK didn't feel as long as the MK/Epcot stretch. Don't know how it compares, but the darkness did help that.
    That's what I'm hoping. It's just such a long straight away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    That's what I'm hoping. It's just such a long straight away.
    There are different characters along the course than you typically see at the day light races so that is fun to watch for. AND, if they hold to previous years, Electric Light Parade makes an apparance as well!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you want a really fun challenge, give the 5k in the morning a shot and then run the half that evening! I've done that all three years and the 5k is actually a nice warm-up for the evening festivities.

The biggest challenge is figuring out when to eat. According to most experts, your last BIG meal should be 18 hours before the half. That would be around, oh 2:00 a.m. Best thing I've found is carb load in small amounts three days or so leading into the race and have a nice carb-y dinner Friday night. I had an early lunch on Saturday and then snacked (a giant pretzel is always good to nosh on) until the race.

Also consider taking a few hours off your feet in the room to relax prior to hopping the bus to the start. It's difficult to not play in the parks all day when you have a half marathon to run that night but it does help to decompress with your feet up especially if you are one who can grab a quick nap.

One last thing - bring an old beach towel / pillow / etc to sit on prior to the start. Participants are held in a grassy area at WWoS until you move to the corrals and unless you like sitting on hard ground / grass, it pays to drag along something comfy to sit on that you can discard.

RunningFool

Theme Park Mommy

A group of friends and I are going for the C2C. We just did the Tink in January and will register for the W&D. Being Disneyland natives, we have never been to DW. Can anyone suggest a moderate off property hotel who might run shuttles to the parks? Maybe even a shuttle for after the event?

Disneyland College Program summer of 1997.
    DCL: Magic,Oct. 17, 2009 WC; Wonder, Jan. 21st, 2011 "Cruise to NoWhere"; Wonder, April 17th, 2011 10 day MR;Wonder, MR 2/12/12
    Run Disney: Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon Jan. 20, 2013; Disneyworld Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov. 9, 2013 Yay for Coast to Coast; Tinkerbell 1/2 Jan. 19. 2014

Theme Park Mommy

One more question, the registration fee does not include drinks and food at the after party right? That is all separate?

Disneyland College Program summer of 1997.
    DCL: Magic,Oct. 17, 2009 WC; Wonder, Jan. 21st, 2011 "Cruise to NoWhere"; Wonder, April 17th, 2011 10 day MR;Wonder, MR 2/12/12
    Run Disney: Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon Jan. 20, 2013; Disneyworld Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov. 9, 2013 Yay for Coast to Coast; Tinkerbell 1/2 Jan. 19. 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TrueRomance View Post
    One more question, the registration fee does not include drinks and food at the after party right? That is all separate?
    You will receive vouchers, but I believe it is only for one drink and one food item. After that, all additional food is per item prices.

Blog Entries
    A group of friends and I are going for the C2C. We just did the Tink in January and will register for the W&D. Being Disneyland natives, we have never been to DW. Can anyone suggest a moderate off property hotel who might run shuttles to the parks? Maybe even a shuttle for after the event?
    Are you asking about moderate priced off site because that's where you stay when you're at DL? None are going to have shuttles after the event -- I'd recommend whatever Value or moderate on-site resorts are 'participating' with the event, as they'll have the only buses running super late. I rarely stay onsite at DL and only stay onsite at WDW.
    This past year you got a $10 gift card you could use at the party, or at any other time you wanted, per runner. In theory to cover the items Stan4dSteph identified. The first year was a specific voucher for one food item and one drink item.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Are you asking about moderate priced off site because that's where you stay when you're at DL? None are going to have shuttles after the event -- I'd recommend whatever Value or moderate on-site resorts are 'participating' with the event, as they'll have the only buses running super late. I rarely stay onsite at DL and only stay onsite at WDW.

This past year you got a $10 gift card you could use at the party, or at any other time you wanted, per runner. In theory to cover the items Stan4dSteph identified. The first year was a specific voucher for one food item and one drink item.
    I talked to a friend who knows the off-site hotels well and she isn't aware of any of them that run race shuttles. For what it's worth, I always stay at All-Star Sports. It's one of the Value hotels and is first on the pick-up/ drop-off of the three Value hotels in the area. They are always one of the Host hotels that provides transport.

And the $10 gift card is really nice for those of us who don't drink and/or don't attend the after party. The first years I gave my voucher away - last year I got to use it on dinner.
    RunningFool