Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: International Driving Permit

International Driving Permit

Can anyone clarify if we now need one of these to drive in Orlando as UK drivers? We have never had one before and it's not on the hire care information. However, posters on a UK forum I look at are suggesting the rules have changed. Can anyone clarify please as I don't want our insurance to be invalidated by getting this wrong!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Scooby, a search of the Florida state website came back with this response:

International Driver License / Car Rental
    Published 08/12/2011 12:21 PM | Updated 10/08/2012 01:33 PM
    What is an International Driver License? It is required while visiting from another country and to rent a car?

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a translation of your existing driver license into another language. The International Driving Permit is a legal identification document that translates into 10 languages. The permit is valid for up to one year from the date of issuance and must be accompanied by a valid driver license at all times. If you are a U.S. driver license holder and planning to travel in international destinations, an International Driving Permit can be very beneficial. We suggest you read here for more information.

If you reside out of country and will be visiting Florida, you may also want to obtain an International driver's license also called International Driving Permit (IDP) which serves to translate the information from your existing license into English prior to visiting Florida. Again, this permit is only to be shown in conjunction with a valid state or country issued driver's license, not as a substitute. It's not mandatory that you obtain an IDP to drive in Florida. However, this recognizable form of identification can be beneficial. You would need to contact the authorities in your country who issued your driver's license, or the motoring association there, to find out how to obtain an IDP.

If you will need to rent a car while visiting in Florida, you may need to show both your driver license and an IDP. We suggest you contact the rental company in advance to find out more regarding their policy.

Florida law permits a non resident who is at least 16 years of age and has a valid non commercial driver license from their home state or country, to operate a motor vehicle for which a Florida Class E driver's license is required. For example, if you rent a van that is not designed to carry 16 passengers, including the driver, you are permitted to operate (drive) the van with a non commercial driver license.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Thanks. So I assume that means we don't need one as our licences are already in English. Still not sure! They're only 5.50 so I think we'll get them anyway!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

If they aren't expensive I'd say it would be a good idea then you don't have to worry if the rental car agency decides it requires one.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didn't you mention one time that your drivers license doesn't have a picture on it? Does the International one? That might be why some rental agencies want it.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Didn't you mention one time that your drivers license doesn't have a picture on it? Does the International one? That might be why some rental agencies want it.
    They come in two parts. A photo one and a paper part. I've never heard about IDL before but there's a massive debate on a UK forum about whether one is needed or not for UK residents travelling to Florida. Like I said. For 5.50 I will just get them in case!

I'm surprised they're so inexpensive. I did a quick search and was even more surprised that they're available for $19 (~13 pounds) here. But that's probably because the DMV doesn't handle them. If they did they'd be closer to $30 or $40.

For that much, I'd go for it just for the piece of mind.

Have read an e mail a UK person has had from the horses mouth so to speak. We do need them. The person accepted their purpose was an English translation, but that existing English written licences were not excluded. That's just a technicality it seems. It is a problem in that UK holiday brokers/airlines etc have not realised this change and are not advertising it. So many could be caught out.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So much for the old days when my IDP was a 50 peso note in what would be my license wallet when I was stationed in the Phillipines

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Blog Entries

Since this is a pretty new rule/law is there a way to get an IDP here or does it need to be done in your own country? That would really bite for someone who was here for a long trip and unable to drive.

Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

Don't know sorry.

From the AA (which I presume to be the UK equivalent of AAA in the US):

USA (Florida) compulsory IDP – 1 January 2013
    A law introduced in Florida, USA, on 1 January 2013 requires all persons who hold a licence issued outside of the US to carry an International Driving Permit along with their national driving licence. Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid licence. If stopped, law enforcement has the options of:

Arresting the driver and taking them to jail
    Or giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance
    So, apparently the State of Florida passed its own law regarding International Driving Permits which took effect on January 1st. It's both new and limited to Florida which explains why no one knew much about it. However, the State announced yesterday that they are temporarily suspending enforcement of the new law as they may have inadvertently violated international treaty. (And violated federal law preventing individual states from engaging in international relations.)

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

LOL--red tape!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Yea this has been a heated thread on some British boards. Our travel agents know nothing about it.

Ah but Scooby, you are forgetting that you have a driving licenCe, but in Florida you need a driving licenSe. So I can see why the need for a translation is needed!!

Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And to add to what Larry so helpfully pointed out: a Driver's Permit in the U.S. is sort of a provisional license. A person gets a 'permit' before they get their license, and when they are operating a motor vehicle, they have to have a licensed driver over 18 (usually, can be different in different states) sitting in the passenger seat. It's basically a way to allow a new driver to practice before they are deemed ready to hit the roads on their own. So if you're dealing with people that can't tell the difference between license and licence, then you don't want to call your UK 'permission to operate a vehicle' a permit!

Cathy

According to my local news this morning, the governor of FL is going to repeal the law requiring the Int'l Driving Permit, it violates the Geneva Convention.

According to this report, it wasn't being enforced anyway.

HTH

Jenn
    Who moved to SoFl to be closer to WDW

Friend of Figment

1. The Florida Department of Motor Vehicles and Driver Licensing has publicly announced that this new law is not being enforced as it appears to violate higher laws within the United States.

2. The Florida legislature, currently in session, has announced that it is taking steps to repeal the law.

3. So don't worry about needing an International Driving Permit.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Hurrah! Thanks guys