Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New 10K Race Added to Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

New 10K Race Added to Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Runners Can Double Their Effort With Dumbo Double Dare; Race Registration Opens Next Month

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla (Dec. 19, 2012) The Happiest Race on Earth is getting a little happier starting next year. The Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend is expanding to include the Disneyland 10K at Disneyland Resort in California, Aug. 30 Sept. 1, 2013.

The new 10K race, the latest in the popular runDisney series, will be a timed event and will take runners through Disneyland, Disney California Adventure and the streets of Anaheim. Each finisher will receive a specially designed commemorative finisher medal. Runners looking for an extra challenge can register for the Dumbo Double Dare, which involves running the 10K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday (19.3 miles total). The limited number of participants who sign up for the Dumbo Double Dare will receive a Dumbo Double Dare running shirt and a special finisher medal, in addition to the Disneyland Half Marathon and 10K finisher medals.

The Disneyland 10K builds on the weekend of races and entertainment geared toward families and runners of all levels. In addition to the 10K, the weekend of events include the Kids Races, the Family Fun Run 5K, the Half Marathon and a two-day Health and Fitness Expo where guests can check out the latest in fitness apparel, running gear and high tech gadgets, plus learn from speakers such as runDisney training consultant Jeff Galloway, runDisney nutrition consultant Tara Gidus and former Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton. Runners and guests can add to their race weekend experience by purchasing tickets to a Pasta in the Park Party.

The 10K distance is the third most popular distance for runners next to the 5K and half marathon, so this race weekend will have it all, said Manager, runDisney Events Kathleen Duran. We are excited to continue to add different distance races so runners at every level can experience a runDisney event and run through Disney theme parks.

Registration opens for all Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend races on Jan. 22, 2013. Last years half marathon sold out in a little more than a month. For more information about the race weekend and other runDisney events, go to www.rundisney.com.

I think the Dumbo Challenge is going to fill up very quickly. Who's going to try for their Dumbo in 2013?

2. # ADS

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Well, a Goofy challenge it's not. A lot of people who train for a half marathon won't have any trouble doing 6.1 miles the day before (it just won't be a taper day)... thing is, I don't know how I feel about it being called a DUMBO event. "Goofy" of course makes sense. But DUMBO?!?!? Why are they naming the feat after an elephant? I've worked so hard not to be elephant-sized this year!!

Also, it may only be a 10K but I'd be curious to find out how much they want to charge. If the half and 10K come up to over $200 I'm gonna think long and hard about whether it's worth it.

That said, I think the 10K is an AWESOME distance... it's a "serious" distance and folks who might feel too daunted at the prospects of doing 13.1 miles can more realistically train for a 10K.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I really don't understand the consternation over Dumbo. He's a cute baby elephant character.

Registration opens January 22. Click to go to race page.

Entry Fees and Deadlines:

Disneyland Half Marathon

$175 by February 19, 2013
    $190 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
    $205 on or after April 17, 2013

Disneyland 10K

$95 by February 19, 2013
    $110 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
    $125 on or after April 17, 2013

Dumbo Double Dare

$280 by February 19, 2013
    $300 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
    $320 on or after April 17, 2013

Disneyland Family Fun Run 5K

$65 per participant

runDisney Kids Races

$20 per child

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

It doesn't say when the 10K is. Wondering if I could do the 5K and the 10K.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

The 5K and 10K are both on August 31; the half marathon is on September 1. The 5K starts 45 minutes before the 10K, so it is possible to do both, but they would be one right after another. The 5K starts at 5:30 a.m. and the 10K starts at 6:15 a.m.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    The 5K starts at 5:30 a.m.
    WOW!!!!
    It wasn't that early this year, was it???
    Cathy

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    The 5K and 10K are both on August 31; the half marathon is on September 1. The 5K starts 45 minutes before the 10K, so it is possible to do both, but they would be one right after another. The 5K starts at 5:30 a.m. and the 10K starts at 6:15 a.m.
    Oh, bummer. Oh well.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Wow, that is almost cost prohibitive.

However, I have been telling my friends that we can do the Goofy Challenge and have been met with a bunch of debbie downers.

If we can do the Dumbo, then its just one step closer to doing Goofy.

Force is strong in this one
    Registration opens January 22. Click to go to race page.

Entry Fees and Deadlines:

Disneyland Half Marathon

$175 by February 19, 2013
    $190 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
    $205 on or after April 17, 2013

Disneyland 10K

$95 by February 19, 2013
    $110 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
    $125 on or after April 17, 2013

Dumbo Double Dare

$280 by February 19, 2013
    $300 between February 20 and April 16, 2013
    $320 on or after April 17, 2013
    Yikes. I keep wondering why I do these races. I usually tell myself I'll hate myself if I stop doing it, which is why I keep coming back for Legacy status, but $95 for a 10K????
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's really, really expensive.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

So for Christmas, my DH went to the Disney Store and bought a big stuffed Dumbo. He was sitting under the tree for me, with a tag around his neck that said, "Mom's Dumbo Challenge." I had been talking about how fun it would be, so for Christmas he "gifted" me the Dumbo Double Dare. I am so super excited, since these will be my first ever Disney races. How nutty do I feel to be so excited to spend so much money to run around Disneyland and Anaheim?!

Elizabeth & Matt, established 2008 *Katie born 2/2010 *Josie born 2/2012 *Jayson born 3/2015
    AP holder 2010-2016, Disneyland fan since the '80s
    WDW *1984 (or maybe 1983), *2013

Blog Entries

What a sweet way to give you the race registration, Elizabeth!

Cathy

I am so excited about the 10k. I did the 5k this last year with my sister, and I was going to set a goal to do the half marathon, but decided not to when I realized it was on Sunday. I just had a baby a month ago so this is my weight loss motivator. My sister is going to have her baby any day now and we just agreed to do the 10k together...can't wait!

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

Headless Chicken

Definitely doing it. Been feeling a little concerned about the half, because I've had to overcome some new medical challenges, but the 10K - I totally feel confident. Then, can do the 2014 Tinkerbell half without killing myself. It's perfect!!!

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Definitely doing it. Been feeling a little concerned about the half, because I've had to overcome some new medical challenges, but the 10K - I totally feel confident. Then, can do the 2014 Tinkerbell half without killing myself. It's perfect!!!
    Can't wait to have you join us at Tink!!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Disneyland 5k was at 6:45 a.m. in 2012. The earlier times seem to be a trend. The 2013 Neverland 5k moved from a Friday night event (at 10:00 p.m.) to a 5:30 a.m. Saturday start. And the Tinker Bell Half is starting at 5:00 a.m.!

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Oh, bummer. Oh well.
    If you can finish the 5k in 30 minutes or less wait and see where the race courses are set. It might be a tight hop to get to the 10k start but could be do-able. I'm hopeful it will be!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Flying Pig in Cincinnati has an option called the 3-Way. You run the 10k followed by the 5k on Saturday and the half on Sunday. Runners will end up with 3 event medals plus the special 3-Way medal (or 4-Way if you are running the marathon instead of the half).

If the Disneyland 5k ends close enough to the 10k start, it may just be do-able!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    I really don't understand the consternation over Dumbo. He's a cute baby elephant character.

Frankly, I think the Dumbo Double Dare would have been perfect for the New Fantasyland in Walt Disney World as they now have two Dumbos!
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    If you can finish the 5k in 30 minutes or less
    I know others can do that, but that is so not gonna happen for me. Thanks for the info though.

Blog Entries
    If you can finish the 5k in 30 minutes or less wait and see where the race courses are set. It might be a tight hop to get to the 10k start but could be do-able. I'm hopeful it will be!
    Does Disney have the final course maps released before the registration has closed the last couple of years?
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Does Disney have the final course maps released before the registration has closed the last couple of years?
    As fast as the Disneyland weekend closed last year, I don't recall any course maps being available. One can assume that both the 5k and 10k will have the same start which if history holds true is at the Mickey & Friends parking structure. The big question is where will they end the 5k - the usual DCA spot or somewhere new?
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I know others can do that, but that is so not gonna happen for me. Thanks for the info though.
    September is a long way off. You never know where you may be in your training!
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    September is a long way off. You never know where you may be in your training!
    I appreciate your support, but at the moment, it's not a matter of training. It's a matter of what I can physically do.