Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd level questions

Quote Originally Posted by MommyTo3Boys1Girl View Post
    You had me in a panic. We just chose our dates, booked hotel, for April 30-May 4, because my son has a shooting match on Mother's Day weekend, so I was freaking out I had chosen the wrong weekend. I did LOTS of research on these dates, and hotel prices were low, which always helps with guiding about how croweds will be.
    I feel better about booking for that week since we both came to the same conclusion! Sorry for scaring you, though.
    Perpetually planning for the next trip...

2. # ADS

it looked like it was going to be a crowded this weekend because of the convention center events. Today's DL update confirmed it. It is showing that the crowd level should be 10 out of 10 this weekend. The forecast originally called for rain on Saturday and I was hoping it would help thing the crowds. But checking the forecast today, and that rain is no longer in site.

When I tried to book at the Paradise Pier for this weekend (22 - 24), it was totally sold out except for Suites! I'm hoping for rain too. I figured there must be a big convention going on. =\ 10 out of 10 was surprising though

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

There are two conferences at the convention. One that is supposed to be around 4,000 attendees and the other with 40,000 attendees with a large number of that being children.

Was mommyTo2Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp21 View Post
    There are two conferences at the convention. One that is supposed to be around 4,000 attendees and the other with 40,000 attendees with a large number of that being children.
    I hope they are all gone by the time we get there on Wednesday. LOL
    Formerly MommyTo2Boys1Girl
    Lori, Mommy to 4 Disney kids, Disneyland fanatic, annual pass holder

Was mommyTo2Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich78 View Post
    I feel better about booking for that week since we both came to the same conclusion! Sorry for scaring you, though.
    I hope for both our sakes, the crowds are light. See you there!
    Formerly MommyTo2Boys1Girl
    Lori, Mommy to 4 Disney kids, Disneyland fanatic, annual pass holder

Quote Originally Posted by MommyTo3Boys1Girl View Post
    I hope they are all gone by the time we get there on Wednesday. LOL
    There's a cheer/dance thing going on the following weekend. (1st weekend in March)

Was mommyTo2Boys

That's OK. We fly home Saturday. It's a quick trip.

Hope it is okay to ask this- anyone know the crowd calendar estimate for Friday, March 29? I have not subscribed to the calendar as I go there often. I now live an hour away so I can go often and the calendar normally does not matter to me. But with spring break this week for a lot of California schools I know it should be busy. My son is off school so just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I know that for a lot of the passes that it is also blocked out so I guess it could go either way. Friday is a busy day in the first place...hmmm....should I go? LOL

~Christina~

It's Good Friday. Id say 9/10. (Last Friday was rated a 9/10 according to the dlr update)

Yesterday was very crowded. Hoping the crowds let up a bit the rest of the week. Being spring break for alot of children I doubt it will calm down. Having fun anyway.

Gramiangel420

Hi everyone,

We just booked our trip to surprise our son for his 12th birthday. We will be in the parks only for the 27th and 28th of April. I've been reading through this thread, and it sounds as though something may be going on this weekend? Conventions or something like that? Do conventions usually equal an attendance nightmare? We should have looked before booking, but my hubby already has the plane tickets. In your opinion, is this weekend (April 27th and 28th) going to be a nightmare?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have! I greatly appreciate it!

Almost all weekends are crowded, but it's all relative. I have a friend who can only go on Saturdays, and she thinks Saturdays in February and April aren't as bad as July. I can go on weekdays and would rather just not go on a Saturday. In my experience Sunday mornings are pretty light for the first few hours, then it can pick up. It is impossible to say whether or not some unknown convention will affect crowds. Some conventions will increase crowds, some will not have much impact.

Full 24 Hour All-Nighter Survivor ManaByte's Avatar

One of the best ways to gauge crowd levels is by checking the AP blackout calendar. If lower APs aren't blacked out, crowds can usually be pretty bad.

On the 27th, all but Premiums are blacked out. As it's not quite summer crowds; it won't be too bad. However, on Sunday all but So Cal Select can get in. But Sunday's are rarely that bad unless it's the last open Sunday of the season for certain APs.

I just noticed that when we were thinking of going in 2014 is the week following when the D23 expo is this year. I'm going to assume the Expo will be on the same weekend next year. Is it lots of locals? Or do people fly in from all over the place? Will crowds be significantly smaller on Monday, or should I push the trip back a bit?

Full 24 Hour All-Nighter Survivor ManaByte's Avatar

I don't believe there's a D23 Expo next year. They're supposed to be every other year.

Actually Sunday's tend to be heavier with locals anymore.

Thank you to everyone in regards to the input about our weekend visit on April 27th and 28th. Unfortunately a quick weekend trip was all my husband could swing with work, so our time is extremely limited there. We usually visit Disneyland the first week of December since we love the Christmas spirit, so we are not too familiar with visiting the parks in April. We made the mistake of being at the park on Christmas day a few years ago...that was a mistake. I had never seen so many people!!

In regards to our April visit, it sounds like it shouldn't be absolutely insane crowd wise. I have no idea what to expect with a weekend visit either since we usually try to plan our park visits to fall on week days for crowd control.

Use Fastpass (keep in mind end times are now being enforced), start early, take a quiet break if you need to. It will be fine. As they say around here, even the worst day at Disneyland is better than being anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Use Fastpass (keep in mind end times are now being enforced), start early, take a quiet break if you need to. It will be fine. As they say around here, even the worst day at Disneyland is better than being anywhere else.
    Thank you! I did hear that they have started enforcing the times on the fast passes!! You are right...at least we will be there, so that's better than being home! I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Amen Sister!!! Just use all the tips we have floating around here and you'll be fine. We will all envy you being in the parks and wish we were there with you. Have a WONDERFUL time!!! (Sometimes those quickie trips have a special magic you don't get with a big, planned out trip...)

Last day of school for us (part of Los Angeles Unified) is June 3rd. Do you think everyone in LAUSD will rush over to Disneyland? It's a Monday. My husband (who doesn't even like Disneyland) just sprang this idea on me -- that even though we're going in mid-May, we should go back on June 3 - 4. It's a long story. But anyway, does anyone know the history of last-day-of-school crowds at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Sansarc View Post
    Last day of school for us (part of Los Angeles Unified) is June 3rd. Do you think everyone in LAUSD will rush over to Disneyland? It's a Monday. My husband (who doesn't even like Disneyland) just sprang this idea on me -- that even though we're going in mid-May, we should go back on June 3 - 4. It's a long story. But anyway, does anyone know the history of last-day-of-school crowds at Disneyland?
    Current forecast is around a 7 for both days at DL and 5 at DCA. Hopefully everything but BTMR will be open for you!
    Joey

Quote Originally Posted by josephbandrews View Post
    Current forecast is around a 7 for both days at DL and 5 at DCA. Hopefully everything but BTMR will be open for you!
    Oh, thanks so much. That's do-able -- I was picturing a 10, and wondering if it would be worth it. Now I feel less panicky about it!

I will be in the parks both of those days. Hopefully our 40 eighth graders won't make that much of an impact.