Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: When are WDW refurb times?

When are WDW refurb times?

Hello all,

we are thinking about a trip to WDW in Jan 2014 but wondered if Jan is a major refurb month? If Rock'n'Roller coaster (sp) or Expedition Everest were closed we'd consider going at a different time. We have only been to WDW and it was in Dec so I don't think anything was closed during our stay. Any info helps!

thanks,

WaltDisneyFanatic

2. # ADS

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So far I found the refurb schedule up to December 2013. I didn't see the 2014 dates yet, but as you get closer, the dates will pop up. Splash Mountain is closed for refubs for our trip. I'm bummed.

Stephanie

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While I am of the camp that I would rather go when crowds are better and not focus on attraction closures* if January is the time you really want to go, book your trip as soon as you pick the date. Afterward, wait for any deals and discounts to reduce your costs and keep an eye on the refurb schedules. If you see something that you think will sway you to a different date, you can always change your plans.

Its always better to have the room of your choice and wait than to wait for your room of choice.

*Yea, refurbs can be a bummer, though...

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I also don't think that WDW has as much of a 'refurb season' as DL seems to. Could be that the refurbs are spread over 4 parks instead of 2 and perception. But there's also not the holiday overlays at the Haunted Mansion or Small World that contribute to the 'refurb season' at Disneyland.

Cathy

We're leaving for our 4th January trip in 4 days. Splash Mountain is almost always down for at least part of our trip (last year was the exception because BTMRR was down so Splash was kept open). This year Splash is down for an extensive refurb, so we'll miss it altogether. The other closures are typically pools and golf courses. One of the 2 water parks will likely be closed. Other than that, there might be 1-3 smaller rides, like the tea cups or Dumbo, that will be closed. The amount of money we save and the crowds we avoid by going in January more than make up for missing Splash (even though I love that ride!). The thing that would really be a bummer is if one of the factors that you took into account when booking a resort was the pool, and then the pool ended up being closed for refurbishment. But you can always keep an eye on the refurbishment schedule and switch resorts, if necessary.

January and Feb are traditionaly referb months. And sometimes the refurbs can last a long time, for example the Test Track major refurb which was over six months. However, I still think that the savings you can make at this time of year, plus the quietness of the parks make for a much more relaxing trip than in the summer when everything is more likely to be open. So it's swings and rounderbouts. I would just enjoy what is open and I'm betting you will get lots more things done in Jan than you would in July.

Have a great trip.

Cheers Larry.

Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LarryfmScotland View Post
    So it's swings and rounderbouts.
    So, is that a Scottish saying? Never heard it before!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryfmScotland View Post
    January and Feb are traditionaly referb months. And sometimes the refurbs can last a long time, for example the Test Track major refurb which was over six months. However, I still think that the savings you can make at this time of year, plus the quietness of the parks make for a much more relaxing trip than in the summer when everything is more likely to be open. So it's swings and rounderbouts. I would just enjoy what is open and I'm betting you will get lots more things done in Jan than you would in July.

Have a great trip.

Cheers Larry.
    Did you say "quietness" in January? Well, we just returned tonight and I would say the parks were a definite 6 to 7 and on EMH days they were a definite 8!!! No joking! We went to the MK yesterday and it was opened until 11pm. We stayed until closing. When we entered the crowds were at a hault!

Must be the new Fantasyland attracting larger than normal crowd expectations, plus the really good dining plan offers. I will post a trip report soon.

Despite the crowd levels, we had a blast! Made the most of everything. We never made it on Test Track. Wait times were about 110 minutes or more and kept running out of Fast Passes. Long story...but we will have to see the new TT on our next trip.

I'm thinking there were offers to a lot of foreign countries. We ran into a lot of Portuguese and Brazil folks. Plus, tons of teens that were competing at the Wide World of Sports.

I even had a CM come up to me during a tour and thank DD and I because she said we were the only English speaking people on her tour group who could understand her. She said that the past 2 weeks were a lot of foreigners.

Again...trip report to come. But, I was really surprised at the crowds after hearing so many comments thru the years how January after New Year's and the MLK Holiday the parks are empty and peaceful.

By the way, Splash Mountain was down. Funny to see how dry it was and I took photos of it.

Main Street Bakery is closed and they are replacing it with a Starbucks. I was bummed about that. I will miss our old Bakery.

Last comment: It was sunny and gorgeous! We are sunburned...never thought a sunburn would feel so good in January!

Stephanie