Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Hotel Advice: Desert Inn or Del Sol

Hotel Advice: Desert Inn or Del Sol

My DH thinks I am going crazy!!
    I am just trying to figure out which hotel would be better for my family. We will be arriving Feb 24 and staying the week. It is myself, DH 2 DSs and 2 DDs. My kids are all 11yo or under. So, we need a suite and something kinda close, just in case we need to run back to the room. I am hoping to save a little $$ and using it to do a character meal. A first for my family.
    -The Desert Inn is a little bit further away (not much) and the room is larger. But, it doesn't have great reviews. Not awful but, not great.
    -Del Sol Inn's room is smaller but, it gets better reviews.
    The room prices are comparable.
    Has anyone stayed at either or these hotels lately? Has Del Sol been remodeled recently? It seems like maybe it has.
    Thanks for the help!
    Sara

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

First, the Desert Inn and Suites is closer than Del Sol. Or are you comparing Palm Desert?

Second, we've stayed at the Del Sol once. It was gross, and we said NEVER AGAIN.

Third, the Desert Inn and Suites is clean, but old. It is showing its age. The beds aren't very good and I'd bring your own pillow. But, many like it for the price. My kids will stay there. (I have stayed in the past, but now prefer Candy Cane inn.)

Planning 3 trips at once...

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

I've apparently had better luck with the Del Sol than Mal as I've been staying there 2-4 times per year since 2002! I''ve also stayed at the Desert Inn, but not in the last 10 years (although I've had family stay there at the same time we were at the Del Sol). The Desert Inn also has some larger suite configurations if you want the extra room.

They did remodel the Del Sol a few years ago and the location to the parks is great from both motels. I would consider both to be a 'budget' class motel...better than a Motel 6 but maybe not as nice as a Best Western or Holiday Inn. The free continental breakfast at the Del Sol is simply toast, cereal, juice, milk, mini-muffins, and fruit, and the entire motel is smoke-free.

I always request a room over the carport near the front of the motel; it's less walking at the end of a long day at the parks and you don't have anyone over you either!

So I still vote for the Del Sol at this time...they recognize me at the front desk and I've always had good service with them. Hopefully that won't ever change...LOL!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

Reserved 4 rooms for my family at the Del Sol last August and had no problems. We have stay there several times and each year it seems to be remodeled a little more. I'm with Pammer, request a room over the covered parking area. Only complaint is having to pay for parking but seems most all of the hotels are playing that game now. If you haven't already, check prices on www.getawaytoday.com . There are some 3rd or 4th night free rates on there and you can save a little on character meals.

Sorry, can't help on the Desert Inn.

2019 Trips........ Feb , April, and June

Hotel Advise: Desert Inn or Del Sol

We just left Del Sol half an hour ago and it was our second stay there in the last 6 months. The rooms were clean and recently remodeled. We had the kids suite both times which would be great for the ages of your kids. The bunk bed is a small one. Too small for my teenagers but fine for my 11 yr old. The beds are hard but no different from the other places across the street (except Carousel). I always take my own pillow everywhere but that's for comfort. They were perfectly clean looking. I did prefer our last room to the one this trip though. We had the one in the back corner and it was quiet. This time we were just in front of the pool an it was noisy with people going to breakfast and the people above us the first two nights were loud. The third night was fine. Our last trip one if my sisters stayed at Del Sol and the other at Desert Inn. We were all happy. Both my sisters had 2 queens and the ones at Del Sol were bigger. Both had almost the same bedding an looked like they were decorated by the same people. I called them direct and got our room for $98 and in the summer for $101. Definitely the lowest rate I could find.