Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou

Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou

So we are booked at POR, preferred room which will be in the AB section. I'm good with that we are familiar with the resort and I prefer this half to the mansions. Since we last stayed here the rooms have been refurbished and I've been looking at then on U Tube.

Things I think I like better from the videos...

Trundle bed is up off the floor (not sure if all AB rooms have this?)

The sinks. They have storage shelves underneath and seem to have a cupboard in the middle. Big improvement.

The beds are now queens. Big improvement now the children are bigger.

Flat screen TV.

Free Wi-Fi (okay everywhere now has this).

Tiles in the shower room. (They were a bit scuzzy last time we were here).

Things I think will be a drag....

Storage space. Only three drawers under the trundle bed. Not enough!

Coat pegs. There is something underneath them which means hanging anything long (like a coat off them) would be a problem.

Apart from this, while the Beach Club was really cool, where we stayed last trip, at the moment I'm not thinking the additional cost is worth the massive additional spend.

Has anyone stayed at POR in one of these rooms and what did you think?

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

Sorry that should have said not thinking the additional facilities (not cost).

(Apart from the fab location of course!)

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I wouldn't second guess yourself about this. Just accept your decision and move on with planning knowing where you are staying.

In Aligator Bayou not all rooms have the trudle beds, but if you book a room for 5 guests you get one. Since you are staying in a preferred room, you will get one all the preferred rooms do. Because with the bed folded down it is a bit of a tight fit to get around. I would suggest if anyone normal needs to get up for water or the bathroom at night, they sleep on the trundle or bed next to the bathroom to not wak up the person on the trundle.

As for the coat pegs, yeah it's a problem, I usually use them to hang up backpacks and shopping bags. There is a rack with hangers on the side of the bathroom opposite the lavatory door where I hang our jackets and ponchos. This is a common trait of all the moderate resorts.

This may not be practical for you, coming from so far, I usually bring a bunch of extra clothes hangers to fit all of our stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Flat screen TV.
    One thing you'll want to do with the tv - Disney has the wrong setting on the screen size. If you leave it as is, everything will be stretched to full screen (16x9), which means the stuff that isn't meant to be viewed that way will feature really short fat people! Using the buttons on the side of the tv, go to the menu and reset to the option (I forget the exact wording) that will let the individual program decide how it's formatted. Unfortunately you'll need to do this every time you turn on the tv, which is a pain. But I just can't stand to see those short fat people!!!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We love POR! For storage we also use the closet area in the dressing room/sinks section. That top shelf with careful planning can be very helpful. I used all the hangers and stored a lot in the dressing area piled up. No worries, Scoob...no matter you guys will have a fantastic time! It may feel a little cramped compared to the Beach Club, but you will be fine.

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    One thing you'll want to do with the tv - Disney has the wrong setting on the screen size. If you leave it as is, everything will be stretched to full screen (16x9), which means the stuff that isn't meant to be viewed that way will feature really short fat people! Using the buttons on the side of the tv, go to the menu and reset to the option (I forget the exact wording) that will let the individual program decide how it's formatted. Unfortunately you'll need to do this every time you turn on the tv, which is a pain. But I just can't stand to see those short fat people!!!
    Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    We love POR! For storage we also use the closet area in the dressing room/sinks section. That top shelf with careful planning can be very helpful. I used all the hangers and stored a lot in the dressing area piled up. No worries, Scoob...no matter you guys will have a fantastic time! It may feel a little cramped compared to the Beach Club, but you will be fine.
    That's so funny, because I have been mentally visualising piles of clothes up on that top shelf above the hanging space!!!!!

We don't come from overseas so not sure how practical this is for you, but I save all the cheap metal hangers from the dry cleaners and put them in the bottom of the suitcase for use at the hotel and then just leave them there. And my kids usually leave all socks and underwear in their cases, one daughter doesn't like her things going into strange drawers, so if it can't hang she keeps it in the case. But it can get messy and crowded, now that we take four big suitcases.

Blog Entries

I saw a really nice clip of the Alligator Bayou Room

I like the trundle bed over the chest. What exactly is the size and would a small adult fit on that?

Stephanie

We do the coat hanger thing too. And if anyone rents a car, you can always store the empty suitcases in the trunk like we did. We normally take two "hard" cases and two over-sized duffel bags that fit in the hard case. This time we had extra luggage as we were packing for warm and cold. They fit neatly on the side next to the sink and one slipped under the sink shelf.

“A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerated the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable.” Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    And my kids usually leave all socks and underwear in their cases, one daughter doesn't like her things going into strange drawers, so if it can't hang she keeps it in the case. But it can get messy and crowded, now that we take four big suitcases.
    I've become a little leery of storage drawers, also. Shorts and t-shirts are okay, but feel weird about the socks and unmentionables touching the drawer. I'm not sure what, if any, cleaning steps are taken there. In order not to live out of a suitcase or bag, I've taken to packing folded tissue paper (re-used from gift bags and boxes) in a gallon sized ziplock bag and keep that in the bottom of the suitcase (similar to your coat hangers). I can then use the tissue paper to line the storage drawers, unpack the cases, and settle in for the stay.

We usually wipe down the drawers just as we do with the light switches, door handles and remote control.

“A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerated the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected, and outlast the unbearable.” Billy Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rockchalker View Post
    We usually wipe down the drawers just as we do with the light switches, door handles and remote control.
    Yep. Do that! When we arrive family are sent straight to the pool and I clean the whole room before I unpack!

Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    I saw a really nice clip of the Alligator Bayou Room

I like the trundle bed over the chest. What exactly is the size and would a small adult fit on that?
    I don't have the exact dimensions, but Disney recommends children 7 and under for the trundle beds, not adults.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Blog Entries

Thanks, Mary. It's smaller than I thought!

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by mkraemer View Post
    I don't have the exact dimensions, but Disney recommends children 7 and under for the trundle beds, not adults.
    When they were on the floor my (then) 10 year old slept on it and he's tall. He filled it to capacity but was knackered every night and preferred it to sharing. For my (then) 7 year old it was fine.

Just curious why you prefer the AB section? We are going in May and I was thinking about requesting the mansions- but wanted to see what others thought was the best section.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The big difference is the trundle (or whatever theyr'e called now) extra beds in AB. Also, it's closer to the food court/restaurant/shop. Though my sister and I prefer the mansion area, as it's just a short walk across a bridge to get to the main areas.

Cathy

I like the theming better both in the rooms and in the grounds. Also I am lazy after a day walking the parks and like to be as close as possible to the facilities! The trundle was good a few years ago but I'm sure it will probably be too small for my children this trip. My son is taller than me nowadays!!!! It did strike me we could use it a extra seating though.

We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section three years ago and LOVED it. We had a corner room so lots of natural light. We loved the quiet pool in that area and it was close to the restaurant and bus stop. I am sad my kids have now outgrown the trundle bed otherwise I would stay there again. I sure wish there were more affordable choices for families of 5!!

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Mom View Post
    We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section three years ago and LOVED it. We had a corner room so lots of natural light. We loved the quiet pool in that area and it was close to the restaurant and bus stop. I am sad my kids have now outgrown the trundle bed otherwise I would stay there again. I sure wish there were more affordable choices for families of 5!!
    I hear you. Now that two of my children are teens onsite just is not working for us when all 5 of us do WDW. For us it just works better to stay offsite.

Thankfully, I live close enough that I often do trips with the children alone without my husband. We also from time to time take only one child. We still do onsite for these trips but when it's all five of us we stay offsite. All three of my children have actually asked to stay at one of the offsite condos we stay at over the values and mods as they love the pool area here and space the condo offers. I like onsite better but do prefer the price of the condo resort the children like. My husband is all about the extra space.

Mily