Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Five "Who Enter This Happy Place" [Day Trips 2013]

Great to see you back in the parks you MANIAC you! Great reports... you do get a break from the long reports as it does get exhausting....you go often enough though and they are still well written and great fun....thanks again!

2. # ADS

Trip 9: February 14, 2013. 6 to 10

From the castle bridge Walt saw and fell in love with Mickey's Soundsational Parade. We'll have to save parade route seats one of these days now that he's old enough to enjoy it. We tooled kinda aimlessly around Frontierland and NOS a bit and got our first up close view of the BTMRR construction barricade.
    We fed some ducks. Then churros for all. Price went up to $3.75. I asked the CMs when that occured and she said "Oh about maybe 4 weeks ago. And you know what, you're the first person I know of who's noticed and said anything." Ha, wouldn't you know it? talk about a product with little price sensitivity. They'll be 4 bucks apiece before we know it, and hardly anyone will care.

Once in DCA, Walt visited one of his faves: The Little Mermaid Ariel's Undersea Adventure. He refers to it as simply "Sebastian". Somewhere around that time he latched onto his Mater action figure and had the Charlton Heston from my cold dead hands kung fu grip on it the rest of the night. In picture after picture, there's Walt; there's Mater. In the time it takes DW and two oldest to ride one e-ticket (tonight it's CA Screamin') Walt and I can get on three of the A Bug's Land rides and Monsters, Inc. I like my end of that deal.

This was my first ever trip on Luigi's Flying Tires. From the queue I'm thinking "Really Lasseter? You had forever and a day to conjure up Car's Land and THIS is the best you could come up with?" But after riding my opinion reversed. It's a fun, novel little ride. As the pictures attest, around this time the wheels were finally coming off Walt's once cheery disposition.

8485270342_406fbd8ceb_b.jpg

fotografias

Ride report

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Trip 8: February 10, 2013. 8 to noon

More than any other time, when grandparent(s) accompany to the resort I go from traveller to tour guide. I spent the majority of my morning back and forth between parks getting fastpasses, parking the car after dropping the fam, running to Mickey and Friends to get the car, getting people food, sitting with the baby. When the day ended, DW and I figured the time we were actually in the same part of the of the resort at the same time was actually about 20 minutes of the 4 hours. But it's all good. I'm not gonna lie it feels more like work than parkhopping, but it's worth it since the grandma and grandkids so enjoy spending time with one another. They all moved with hardly a delay from one ride to the next.

For the little while she wasn't riding, Kim's mom and Kim and the baby took in Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe for a mid-morning break. A little bit later they boarded Radiator Springs. Grandma is an instant fan. She said she could ride it all day and wants to know how fast those cars go. The magic of Disney intervenes on these cars' behalf, I believe because - as I've said - to the naked eye they're not fast but you really feel like you're flying when on board.

While the crew enjoyed RSR, Walt and I killed time on King Arthur's. The ride was over real quick because someone wouldn't cooperate with the CM's directive to remain seated atop the horse. The CM got rattled which is uncommon from what I've seen. No matter, Walt had plenty of fun gazing a the pretty teenager to his left (see below) with whom he was smitten. He may or may have even been aware the carousel ever started or stopped.

Attachment 7366

Rides

Pictures
    Love Nancy's toothless grin! lol ♫All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth!♫
    Siggy aka Jill

I'm glad to see you back again . The price of churros went up again !!! OMG, they just went up to $3.50 now $3.75 ?????. Might have to start getting them at Costco although they won't taste the same .

Great trip reports. Your kids are so cute! You really captured some of the joy they were feeling. Love the one of your DD on Screamin! Her face is adorable! Thanks for sharing with us.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty's mom View Post
    I'm glad to see you back again . The price of churros went up again !!! OMG, they just went up to $3.50 now $3.75 ?????. Might have to start getting them at Costco although they won't taste the same .
    Ha. I hear ya'. We head down Ball Road when leaving Anaheim and stopped recently at El Pollo Loco. I noticed on their value menu they have churros 2 for $1 or some such deal. I joked with DW about "No more DLR churros for you. Not if I can get 'em for a song at El Pollo Loco." She just laughs and rolls her eyes each time.
    While they may technically taste exactly the same at El Pollo, they just don't taste the same and you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    Great trip reports. Your kids are so cute! You really captured some of the joy they were feeling. Love the one of your DD on Screamin! Her face is adorable! Thanks for sharing with us.
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. It is a ton of fun. The kids make it fun. You'd think after a few hundred visits its ho-hum, but no. Nancy is as excited to go tomorrow as she's ever been. So who'm I to argue? Then she'll be counting down when that trip ends and/or asking when we can go back.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Love Nancy's toothless grin! lol ♫All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth!♫
    The teeth, OMW. Yesterday she attended a bday party. There was this insanely talented face painter who put a tiger mask on her. It was incredible. The face painter could write her own ticket to .... I don't know, do whatever great makeup artists do. She asked if she could use Nancy's painted face on her site if she decided to down the road.
    Anywho, the whole thing looked all the more life-like because, with no front teeth, Nancy appeared to have large canines like a cat.

Trip 10: February 20, 2013. 5:30 to 10

California Screamin' is the new Thunder Mountain. With our previous AP's, if we visited the resort 50 times, we rode BTMRR 50 if not 60 times. Each trip Nancy would preface with, "Well, and, we're gonna ride Thunder Mountain, right daddy?" It was our bread and butter, our old faithful; our standby. Now that she's tall enough and Big Thunder is on an extended break, CA Screamin' has a similar thrill and appeal for her. And like BTMRR, even if you arrive late in the day there are often fastpasses still available with reasonably close return times; and I've begun to get similar questions as before, as in, "Well, and, we're gonna ride California Screamin', right daddy?" This year she's made 7 resort trips that included DCA. Sure enough, she's been on Screamin' 7 times. Tonight it was our second ride and great as always.

We need another stuffed animal at the house like we need a hole in the head. So DW and I put off Nancy's insistence to buy a Thumper stuffed animal. But it's her money and she's persisted three straight trips (we have a two trip minimum to cut down on impulse buying). Across from Zephyr and Jumpin' Jellyfish she made the purchase, and I got to hear the rest of the night about Thumper's various needs, likes, and dislikes as it made its way onto every ride. I wish I coulda got a clearer shot but there's one of Thumper between us on Mr. Toad's in which he looks aghast. On that note, the pics this trip are all shot on my iPhone4 and not of much quality; am really looking forward to my 5 upgrade.

It's not everyday for us that we get to experience a new thing but we did just that: The Red Car Trolley. We hopped on by ToT and were told the round trip would likely be unavailable. That being the case, we went ahead and jumped off at Carthay Circle - one stop before we'd have to. I liked it and had a good time. Nancy didn't quite share my enthusiasm. On to the real rides, she said. Tonight there was no slowin' her down. In all, we did 18 rides in four and a half hours.

She was delighted to share with me that all the PotC boats are numbered. So I one upped her to share that, not only are they numbered, they're named. This fascinated her and she simply had to know our boat's name. Unfortunately she coudn't see it as we departed on the starboard side since the name is on the port side. The CM saved the day by looking at her name/number chart to tell us we had just travelled on Josefina.
    From there it was nearly inexplicable to Nancy that our next three rides - Splash and Winnie the Pooh and Matterhorn - didn't have named vessels. And bless the hearts of the CM's who were left to explain it. Finally when boarding Mr. Toad's a few rides later I was able to exclaim to her "Look! they have names!" At this she was very delighted and her world made sense again. We rode Mac Badger.

8501720137_c358ae6078_z.jpg

Slideshow

Ride report

Trip 11: February 24, 2013. 8 to 3:30

On Presidents' Day my sister-in-law took a couple of her four boys to the resort - we stayed home that day. DW called her that night to see how it went. They both laughed while discussing SIL's boys' analysis of the day, which was "We like goin' with Uncle Brad better. He gets us on all the rides." Sister-in-law was unhurt by this because she's a good sport and I have a suspicion she, too, likes it better when the kids go with me. The nephews' compliment was one of the nicest I've heard lately, odd as it sounds. Since my kids have only ever parkhopped with me, they take it for granted that we arrive early or late to avoid the crowds, maximize fastpasses, and nearly never wait in a line longer than 15 minutes. The nephews know what it's like to parkhop several hours while getting on very few rides, so they probably appreciate my efforts more than anyone. It's that kind of flattery that'll get them more frequent invites to join us.

So it was this Sunday morning. Oldest boy was unavailable, but 9yo (we'll call him Thomas) was more than happy to join. He pretty much called the shots this trip. He'd never been on RSR or Mickey's Fun Wheel so we hit both. About an an hour into our visit he'd already found a use for his $20: a Toy Story T from that store at the TSMM exit. Nice shirt. You can see it in the third slideshow picture.

Perhaps Thomas didn't call all the shots. Eleven trips in for me and not a single whirl on Soarin' had me Jonesin', so I politely infromed the crew we'd be riding it today. A few other things Thomas was dead set on: Tower, Space and Splash Mountains, and Animation Academy, which we attended twice consecutively. Our second drawing - Mickey Mouse - was much more fun and practical than our first: Agent P. Pretty sure none of us came away from the Agent P. session feeling confident, but all redeemed selves on the second try. The kids were as good as could be expected which enabled us to stay almost 8 hours opposed to our usual.

One other thing: the outdoor but very much covered seating at Pizza Port is an awfully cool place to enjoy lunch, we discovered. To be clear, I'm not referring to the tables with umbrellas in front of the restaurant. I'm talking about the restaurant's rear/side outdoor seating adjacent to the Space Mountain walkway and directly across from the Capt. EO queue.

Oh and one other other thing (I keep forgetting stuff): Dapper Day was a rockin' good time. Wasn't until our walk back to M&F's that I finally asked a dapper young couple what gives with all the nice get ups. What a cool official (non-Disneyland sanctioned) unofficial event, kinda like Gay Days I guess (from what I've been told about Gay Days anyway). Some of the Dapper Day outfits were stunning. It'll be easier for you to Google Image Disneyland Dapper Day than me try to explain it. Here. Let me Google that for you.

8515292714_5ddb7d95cc.jpg

slides

ride report

Yes, they are named. The oldest child has seen and photographed her name on her boat, but has yet to manage to time it right to ride it. Daughter 2, has been on hers. You have multiple children you know how that goes over. Daughter 3 has a variation of her name on one of the boats. But it is not close enough to count for her.

ETA: Post 6 of this thread, has all but a handful of the names listed. Both Alphabetically and numerically. One of our Padders compiled the list. He also posted a new thread, not too long ago, looking to fill in the other 6 (?) numbers in case she wants a project.

Thank you so much for the in-depth Trip Reports! For a few minutes there, I was able to return to DLR vicariously through your reports but now its going to make the wait for our upcoming trip in October that much more difficult!

Heading to DLR July '15!

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Post 6 of this thread, has all but a handful of the names listed.
    That's a nice find, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    looking to fill in the other 6 (?) numbers in case she wants a project.
    No doubt. I imagine one of the kids will.

Quote Originally Posted by ogold72 View Post
    Thank you so much for the in-depth Trip Reports! For a few minutes there, I was able to return to DLR vicariously through your reports but now its going to make the wait for our upcoming trip in October that much more difficult!
    Right on. Gracias.

Might I offer one of my favorite ways to make the 'return' you refer to. This site.

Trip 12: March 6, 2013. 4 to 8:30

For some reason the kids have recently reached back into the DVD vault to rerun Star Wars Episodes IV through VI. This ran its course with them, I thought, a couple years ago. Not that I mind; Star Wars is a classic and takes me back to my childhood. Unsurprisingly, after a few Star Wars screenings, the lobbying from DD began like this: "Daddy, you know what we haven't done in a while that we should do on our next Disneyland trip?" I knew but played country dumb. "I'll tell you. Jedi Training Academy!" No arm-twisitng needed; I welcome the chance. The show is such a good time.
    Today, both kids got picked. Roy is about a seven or eight time academy veteran but this is only Nancy's second go as a Padawan. Today was such an epic experience. She got chosen to do the force push on the Storm Troopers. What luck! Just seconds earlier she kinda froze like a deer in headlights in front of Vader. Just as she predicted before the show, she was worried about forgetting which is right shoulder versus left shoulder. Bless her heart - her fear came true. The Jedi master was, as always, not at a loss for words and ad libbed like this: "Swing at his left shoulder! Now right shoulder! ..... Or, just stare at him. Good!"

It was a lucky trip all around:
    -A CM assisted us at the ticket booth when we arrived. She helped iron out a technical issue w/ the kids' AP pictures and then asked "What park are you going into first and what ride will you most like to ride there?" I knew we were headed that way so I said Space Mountain. She came back with a group fastpass. How kind.
    -On Indiana Jones Adeventure we got stuck for about 10 minutes right next to the giant snake. The house lights came on which gives you a different perspective of things you didn't know were there; was cool. A CM came walking down the track saying hold on. For sure I thought they were gonna walk us off the ride, but then without warning the ride started back up sans the soundtrack and pyrotechnics. The CMs at the loading suggested we ride a second time since our ride was interrupted. So we did.
    -It seems to us that at least 90% of the time we're in DL, The Sailing Ship Columbia is docked or otherwise unavailable. So imagine our good fortune to be strolling by through Frontierland just as it was about to set sail. The kids were stoked. Off we went!

We were limited to just three things in DCA, but they're the finest three DCA things the kids could ask for: CA Screamin', soft serve at Paradise Pier, and RSR to cap off the night.

8538915678_4b98c5ac1d_z.jpg

Picture show

Ride report

...The Jedi master was, as always, not at a loss for words and ad libbed like this: "Swing at his left shoulder! Now right shoulder! ..... Or, just stare at him. Good!"...
    Love this!

Must be so nice to live so close, that you can give your kids such an awesome experience so frequently! Great pics, as always!

Siggy aka Jill

We love Jedi Training Academy too! My little one has always been too timid to raise her hand to get picked, but we all to love watching the show. I always love the ad lib and inside jokes for adults. Maybe next time we visit she will try to be a Padawan!

Heading to DLR July '15!

Trip 12: March 6, 2013. 4 to 8:30

Today was such an epic experience. She got chosen to do the force push on the Storm Troopers. What luck! Just seconds earlier she kinda froze like a deer in headlights in front of Vader. Just as she predicted before the show, she was worried about forgetting which is right shoulder versus left shoulder. Bless her heart - her fear came true. The Jedi master was, as always, not at a loss for words and ad libbed like this: "Swing at his left shoulder! Now right shoulder! ..... Or, just stare at him. Good!"

-It seems to us that at least 90% of the time we're in DL, The Sailing Ship Columbia is docked or otherwise unavailable. So imagine our good fortune to be strolling by through Frontierland just as it was about to set sail. The kids were stoked. Off we went!
    Thanks for your report!
    I had never considered making an effort to watch the Jedi Training Academy before but after reading your report it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I will add it to my to do list for my next trip.

I wish they ran the Colombia more often. I have been hoping to catch it my past two trips, and I'm hoping that with the spring break crowds they will have it going on my next trip.
    "Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by LauraTD View Post
    Thanks for your report!
    I had never considered making an effort to watch the Jedi Training Academy before but after reading your report it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I will add it to my to do list for my next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ogold72 View Post
    We love Jedi Training Academy too! My little one has always been too timid to raise her hand to get picked, but we all to love watching the show. I always love the ad lib and inside jokes for adults. Maybe next time we visit she will try to be a Padawan!
    There's no way to prdict the schedule, but if you're lucky enough to get the Jedi Master we had (pictured above ^), he's quite a comic. Great timing and stage presence. He's first Jedi Master we ever had several years ago, then it seemed he went on hiatus a while then about a year ago he reappeared. There was only ever one who was as funny and his run was very short-lived. We came across one in passing on our most recent trip who souonded as if he was reading off cue cards, which makes for a completely different and less funny experience.

LauraTD I'd watch the show even if my kids weren't involved. It provides enough laughs to be worthwhile.
    ogold I have a sure fire way to get the kids selected if you're interested. DD tried to go it alone without my help last trip until the very last second when it was apparent she'd probably not get picked.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraTD View Post
    I wish they ran the Colombia more often. I have been hoping to catch it my past two trips, and I'm hoping that with the spring break crowds they will have it going on my next trip.
    With Mark Twain on refurb, Columbia is getting a lot more work. The refurb schedule has Mark Twain away until April 17 so if you get to DLR before then, your Columbia chances are better than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Love this!

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Must be so nice to live so close, that you can give your kids such an awesome experience so frequently! Great pics, as always!
    Thanks you two for reading.

LauraTD I'd watch the show even if my kids weren't involved. It provides enough laughs to be worthwhile.
    We watched the show last year while eating lunch. Our DD was only 2, so she was much too young. DH and I enjoyed the show though.

It is a great show. There is a great one on Youtube, I think we had it posted in the amused thread for awhile. It was our favorite Jedi Master. The young lady chose a different path than fighting Lord Vader.
    ETA: it is titled: Sarah Gallego joins the Dark Side. Too cute.

Lightbulb

Trip 13: March 17, 2013. 8 to 6.

People have certain rides they prefer at night. Two of our family's favorite rides have recently become ones I'd most definitely rather ride at night: Splash Mountain -and- Radiator Springs Racers. My problem riding those rides during the day is you abruptly shift from outside to inside, and my eyes don't have nearly enough time to adjust from sunlight to the darkness. As a result, there's little clarity in the daytime. But at night, it's all so clear. My eyes are already adjusted to the darkness of the "dark ride" and it's a lot more enjoyable. For a change, we did win our race on today's RSR trip.

Today's trip included a few rare stops: The Astro Orbiter, Innoventions, and Grizzly River Run. The kids are on again/off again with GRR. After getting drenched today, Roy is decidedly "off" again. That soaking really put him in a sour mood. He was given every opportunity to stay with mom and little bro at Ariel's instead of riding GRR, so my sympathy wasn't all that great. There was a fourth rare stop this trip: Fantasy Faire. I wrote about the experience at some length in this column.

Kim and Walt joined us for the last part of the day. Although it was quite a chore getting to Anaheim and parking midday, I'm really glad they did. My high point of the day came at the tail end of the trip after we'd been at it nearly 10 hours: the return (for us, anyway) of Pixar Play Parade. We hadn't seen this since before the beginning of Carsland construction and massive DCA overhaul. So it's been awhile. And today was Walt's first time viewing the parade. He adored the characters and waved "hi" to them throughout. For a 22 month old, he's pretty well-versed on his Pixar: he named Sully and Mike, Nemo and Dory, Buzz, Woody and Jesse, and of course Mater.

8573046835_58c9c28e38.jpg

Pictures

Rides

I know exactly what you mean about the return of the Play Parade. We stumbled upon it during the Carsland Party, an unexpected treat with little crowd to watch it. A fun parade all around. There are a couple of little changes from before, most notably the added float with Lotso.

Trip 14: April 1, 2013. 7 to midnight.

Sometimes it's great that failed Plan A leads to failed Plan B leads to C.
    Plan A had been to jump in on some CA Screamin fastpasses even though it's Spring Break crowds and even though we're arriving late .... well there wasn't a fastpass to be gained anywhere at the resort when we showed up at 7. Plan B had been to jump in on the short line at the late CA Screamin' re-open following 9pm WoC, but of course there isn't a re-open w/ a 10pm park close and 10:15 WoC. I forgot that caveat until reminded by a CM. For a sec I assumed nothing closed at the time (Screamin', Zephyr, Jellyfish, Symphony Swings) would re-open. But I inquired just for the heckuvit and surprise, surprise the others would re-open and we'd be able to ride one of the greatest little thrills at the resort ....

Plan C: not a big deal it would seem, but considering the last time we were in DCA -with- Silly Symphony Swings operating was ten months ago -and- in that time Nancy has been eagerly awaiting riding the single swing now that she's tall enough, well, finally finding it open tonight was a big deal to us. It's something you have to experience for yourself to appreciate, but if you've only ever experienced the tandem swings then the first time you hit the singles it's an abberation: seemingly faster, more daring, and thrilling, and fun! Nancy ate it up. She didn't want to quit, so we stayed on for a second flight. The CMs were so great and allowed us to stay for a third straight. Ahh, what fun it is to ride. So we couldn't have been happier with our two failed attempts to ride Screamin'.

Family/Spring Break/birthday plans changed at the last minute recently, so tonight's skeleton crew ecxursion was thrown together on the fly to salvage some of the previous plan. Even though we can't be at the resort on the day of her sixth birthday per se, we celebrated together in the park tonight and she donned the Happy Birthday pin and enjoyed all the birthday adulation that comes with it (not to mention soft serve ice cream!).
    We disembarked from the Finding Nemo Subs as the clock turned past midnight and her real birthday began in earnest. "Happy Birthday Princess" a Nemo Subs CM wished her. He's probably right, I thought, it is finally her bday. As I checked my watch and informed her of the date, her eyes lit up. "Yay! I'm 6". Not a bad way to start your birthday: In the Happiest Place on Earth.

8614522258_00c0ce8127.jpg

Ride Report

Slideshow