Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: [New Year's Eve Strategies] Fireworks on New Years Eve and other events

[New Year's Eve Strategies] Fireworks on New Years Eve and other events

Is there fireworks at Midnight on New Years Eve? Are there other special events? Thanks Need help planning the evening.

2. # ADS

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orrich View Post
    Is there fireworks at Midnight on New Years Eve? Are there other special events? Thanks Need help planning the evening.
    here is the plan, enter the park around noon and plan to stay IN the park until after midnight. If you want/plan to be in the hub area for the midnight fireworks then you need to plan to start camping around 7:00 or so. Many people go each year and have a great time, they take a blanket or two, some uno cards or similar game that is easily transported and just settle down for the count. By about 10pm the hub area will be more crowded than you've ever experienced since this is obviously your first NYE at Disneyland. By 11 you can't leave even if you really want, I highly recommend limiting your fluid intake anytime after you see the crowd swelling to the point people are climbing the fences into the restricted grass/tree areas and standing/sitting on trash cans. if you are a group of adults or older teens you can have a great time, if you're traveling with anyone younger/shorter then you might find yourself concerned for their safety. Of course weather plays a major point in all of this, a few years ago it was raining and the parks weren't crowded at all. Don't assume that just because it rained at 10 that they will cancel the fireworks. Each show is determined at the time it is set to be presented.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Be prepared for fog, though. The last two years, I think, the fog around midnight was very heavy and the fireworks could barely be seen. We watched from our hotel balcony last year and could only see occasional blotches of color.

Need advice for Jan. 1

I know I can count on the many experts on this board for help with our upcoming trip. We live in NoCal and only make it to DLR about once every other year, so we need to take in as much as possible and I know there's lots to see this year. I should also tell you that The Unofficial Guide is my bible when planning my trips.

We're planning on being at CA on New Years day and will be eligible for early entry. I'm trying to strategize a smart plan for the day and am considering doing something a little different in the morning. Conventional wisdom says I hit Carsland ASAP and/or wait in line for a FP for RSR and I will likely do this, but because the park is open a bit later that night, I'm thinking they may have more Fast Passes to distribute and I may be able to get one a little later in the morning. I should also mention that we will have already seen WOC so we'll have nighttime hours for rides.

Here's on overview of what I'm considering: Enter at 7AM and get FP for Soarin. Go to Paradise Pier for Toy story Mania and California screamin and possibly Goofy's flight school. At about 8AM send my family to Flik's fun fair while I wait for fast passes for RSR. My plan surmises that my Soarin FP time will be early (before 8) and that FP return windows are not being enforced.

Thanks for reading my long post. I look forward to your feedback and suggestions!

Looks like I made a mistake with my date. We will be at CA on Dec.31. Ooops!

I've been to DL on Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Year's Day and New Year's is the single busiest I've ever seen it. I would not count on FP being available later in the morning at all. And although I've never been, that goes double for New Year's Eve. Also, on a busy day, I would not assume they will not be enforcing FP return times. They may not, but if it's integral to your plan, you might want to rethink that part. Both RSR and Soarin' have single rider, so if those are an option for your party, you may want to consider that.

Need advice for Jan. 1

I wouldn't plan on getting FPs later. It will be crazy busy and they will go quickly.

I expect FPs for RSRs to go quickly and have a sizable line to get a FP from the moment it opens. Also the last time I got a FP to RSR it also came with a FP to Screamin'. I have been to DLR only once on NYE and I don't plan on doing so again. It was incredibly crowded, the area in front of castle was full of people camped out for fireworks by noon as well, only to have the fireworks cancelled due to wind. I believe the park reached capacity around 1pm.

Keep in mind Fast Pass machines are not turned on until park opening (so no FP's during EE/EMH times). If you have early entry get into the fast pass line inside of rope drop just before park opening.
    Fast passes were not being enforced as of this week except Radiator Springs. Also, Thursday there were signs up saying RSR would not be running until noon BUT they were still doing fast pass distribution right at park opening and were still gone in 45 minutes.

Advice for Dec. 31

We're going to CA on the 31st and just read on the Disneyland Report that we shouldn't plan to leave the park during the day if we want to return in the evening. We had planned to enter early (7:00 AM) and leave around 3 to rest at the hotel and return for dinner between 5-6. Now I'm worried. There's no way my kiddo can make it from early entry until midnight without a rest in the middle. Any suggestions? Do you think there might be a better time to leave for a break? Should I skip early entry? No break?

On another note, do any of you use the touring plans from touring plans.com? I'm thinking about it, but based on my dates (12/28-1/1) the timing of their plans looks overly ambitious/optimistic.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    We're going to CA on the 31st and just read on the Disneyland Report that we shouldn't plan to leave the park during the day if we want to return in the evening. We had planned to enter early (7:00 AM) and leave around 3 to rest at the hotel and return for dinner between 5-6. Now I'm worried. There's no way my kiddo can make it from early entry until midnight without a rest in the middle. Any suggestions? Do you think there might be a better time to leave for a break? Should I skip early entry? No break?
    The thing is, if you leave, you run the risk of not being able to return. (Fire marshal closes park, not Disney.) If they close, just get in line to wait til/if it reopens.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

I have done a show/rest break in DCA before. Aladdin, Muppets, Animation Academy, Crush. I found it to be really effective and it takes 2-3 hours to do it all. Not sure if there is a place where that would work as well in DL though. I wouldn't park hop if you want to be in DL at midnight though. If you are okay with DCA, it might be a good solution based on your child's age. Also, a deck of cards and a few hours in the back of Hungry Bear might work for a nice rest in the park. I would not take a break if being there at midnight is important to you. Mal knows better, but I *think* in the past the park has reopened the gates around 8 if they closed earlier? No guarantees though which is tough, so it would still be a risk!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?