Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Monsieur Paul is open for business at Epcot - Orlando Business Journal - Bizjournals.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Monsieur Paul is open for business at Epcot - Orlando Business Journal - Bizjournals.

Monsieur Paul is open for business at Epcot - Orlando Business Journal - Bizjournals.com (blog)

“My father, Paul Bocuse, first opened Les Chefs de France here at Epcot in 1982 with Chefs Gaston Lentre and Roger Verg. It was the first and only Bocuse-affiliated restaurant in America,” he said. “Things have now come full circle with me having the ...

More...
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 12-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Disney news, columns, articles, park guides, travel planning, discounts... it's all at MousePlanet

Get instant MousePlanet updates on Twitter!

2. # ADS

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Whoa. Did you check out that menu!????!!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Yes, I wasn't that impressed with the menu. It seemed pretty limited and there were no vegetarian offerings at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Yes, I wasn't that impressed with the menu. It seemed pretty limited and there were no vegetarian offerings at all.
    It seemed pretty French, at least there is a lot on it that is served at Mr. Bocuse's original restaurant.

The French don't really do vegetarian. Or food allergies. Something to do with feeling it's one of the world's foremost cuisines as is, as I understand it. Also a strong level of respect for their chefs, who have apprenticed for many years. One does not typically ask for substitutions.

I do sometimes get a little desperate for vegetables when we visit but I've learned some coping skills. And there is definitely growing awareness for alternate food choices/needs.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

This appears to be one I can skip.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    It seemed pretty French, at least there is a lot on it that is served at Mr. Bocuse's original restaurant.
    Guess I'm just more interested in regional French than "haute cuisine" having lived in Franche-Comt for six months. Color me a hick!

Looking at the former Bistro menu, there's not really a huge change to the new, so I suppose it will just remain a place that vegetarians skip. I guess all they're changing is the decor and the name.

They have escargot, and they have beef, and they have wine - I'm in!!!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Monsieur Paul is open for business at Epcot - Orlando Business Journal - Bizjournals.

I like this menu better than the previous one at the Bistro. It's still French with some of the French taken out but I prefer the changes, minimalish though they are.

I agree the French don't do vegetarian well. But to be fair I think the US do it worse. Sorry!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Blog Entries
    Guess I'm just more interested in regional French than "haute cuisine" having lived in Franche-Comt for six months.
    Lucky you! Too bad all that delicious Comte cheese they make there uses animal rennet, making it unsuitable for many vegetarians. I know that was one of the hardest things for me to go without when I was a vegetarian--certain cheeses.

Looking at the former Bistro menu, there's not really a huge change to the new, so I suppose it will just remain a place that vegetarians skip.
    It didn't look much different to me, either. Fortunately DisneyWorld has lots of other choices. It's definitely not a place everyone will want to try. I'm not sure a retheming will change that.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Oh, my, that menu looks amazing. We never did make it to the previous incarnation of the restaurant. Will definitely have to put this on the "yet another place to try at Epcot" list.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

I hope it doesn't look too different. I liked it the way it was: elegant but not overdone.

Yep, it was great but I'm not vegetarian so that's totally fine.

I ate at Bistro once and it was nice, but those prices don't entice me to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I hope it doesn't look too different. I liked it the way it was: elegant but not overdone.
    That's exactly right. The Bistro was one of my favorites, and I wasn't fond of them changing things. I'm looking forward to eating there again, though, and hopefully not being too bothered by the new format.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I ate at Bistro once and it was nice, but those prices don't entice me to try it again.
    This is where I am too--I think I'd rather try Yachtsman....
    Working hard for that next WDW trip!

That menu looks out of this world delicieux! Monsieur Paul will definitely be on our next trip must do list.

John

TouringPlans ate there this week and they were able to special order a vegan meal, although it seemed to largely stump the staff. Vegetarians will probably have better luck being able to eat dairy.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    I think I'd rather try Yachtsman....
    Menu does nothing for me. I agree with Tina, but will add California Grill as well.
    Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    TouringPlans ate there this week and they were able to special order a vegan meal
    I can't even imagine what a vegan French meal would be comprised of.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    A strawberry.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    A strawberry.
    Salade de carottes rpes and wine. Maybe a buckwheat crepe with jam?

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    This photo shows the duck, beef, and vegan entrees [top to bottom]: It was basically a plate of vegetables.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    A strawberry.
    <giggle>

This photo shows the duck, beef, and vegan entrees [top to bottom]: It was basically a plate of vegetables.
    Duck looks good. Hard to see the vegetables very well, though they look good. I was thinking a lot of French cooking (at least the French cooking I'm familiar with) includes a lot of butter, which I'm assuming can't be used for vegan cooking.

I'll take the non-vegan French meal, thanks.

If you click on the link the photo will be a bit bigger. Yes, almost all restaurant cooking uses butter and French food uses a lot of butter.