Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WDC to acquire Lucasfilm, LTD and all properties...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

WDC to acquire Lucasfilm, LTD and all properties...

This was posted today by the Disney Corp blog.

"Bob Iger just announced that The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Lucasfilm the global entertainment company founded by George Lucas and the home of the legendary Star Wars franchise. In addition to getting the rights to one of the greatest family franchises and epic stories of all time, Disney is also acquiring all of Lucasfilms operating businesses including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound."

Interesting. I wonder if relicensing the Star Wars characters for all the things Disney does with them was so high - that buying the company was better ;-).

Third gate -star wars and other hero properties? maybe not, but now they have more flexibility.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

The Disney/Lucasfilm conference call starts in a few minutes (as I post this) at http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/c2nj5j33/lan/en%20%20

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

This.... is so wierd. Regal Cinemas FB page is saying SW Episode 7 is slated for a 2015 release.

Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    This.... is so wierd. Regal Cinemas FB page is saying SW Episode 7 is slated for a 2015 release.
    Talk about burying the lead.

[From the conference call] "We have a rough treatment that we like."
    After Episode I, I'd check to make sure that's not Lucas's final draft.

More of "the force" in the parks?

Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm and Star Wars how do you think it will affect the parks since there is already a presence there? Will it permeate tomorrowland and basicly become Starwarsland or stay the same?

Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the division's president and report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.
    Seriously?!?! I will be watching this closely.

I tweeted the conference call as it was happening (though much of the deep financial stuff went way over my head). Much of what was discussed is also in the official Walt Disney Co. press release.

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Quote Originally Posted by nowen1 View Post
    Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm and Star Wars how do you think it will affect the parks since there is already a presence there? Will it permeate tomorrowland and basicly become Starwarsland or stay the same?
    I've felt a disturbance in the force as far as the ticket price increases. I wonder how long the deal's been in the works.... It could be fun to have a cantina.

Foreshadowing much?

--
    Andrew [

I think this is an exciting pair up, personally. I've been mostly dismayed at the recent new/rumors but since SW has been part of Disneyland since the 80's and I'm a fan of both, this I think is exciting. I'm way more interested in this than Marvel (in general). But no, I don't think Tomorrowland will become "star wars" land. But this may be more of a boon to WDW than DL (unless they build that 3rd gate that Lutz has rumored). Both DHS and even AK could benefit.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

I was thinking the same thing, Teddi. Seeing that Universal has HP world, building a Star Wars theme park might be in the works, maybe. I think it would be very successful!

Siggy aka Jill

Thanks Andrew! I love that commercial.
    I was amused because DS(19) called me (his mommy) when he heard new movies on the radio to make sure the dj's weren't messing with him.
    I am all for it. We really enjoyed getting pictures with the Storm Troopers last december.

I would love to see a third gate in anaheim that would be Star Wars/Marvel instead of a water park which i think was a rumer a while back. If they did that they could take star tours out of DL (I know that would be tough for a lot of people, it has become such a part of the park) and that spot could be another piece of realestate along with innoventions for e-ticket rides.

Awesome. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I am very excited! Episode 7 in 2015 and a new movie every 2 to 3 years. Not to mention movies past episodes 8 and 9. Very exciting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrazy99 View Post
    Awesome. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I am very excited! Episode 7 in 2015 and a new movie every 2 to 3 years. Not to mention movies past episodes 8 and 9. Very exciting stuff.
    I've very much enjoyed the SW Clone Wars animated series, showing that there is still plenty of story line material left in the SW universe.

It's going to be very difficult for WDC, Inc. to choose between turning Tomorrowland into a Marvel-land or a Star Wars-land. Either way, Disneyland is on the fast track to becoming a Universal Studios Hollywood of whatever IP that WDC, Inc. has collected.

Disney Buying Lucasfilm (What Do You Think?)

I'm not sure what to think. I do think Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise couldn't have gone to a better home. Especially with the announcement that they are going to make Episodes 7, 8, and 9. However, there is mild (ok not so mild) panic in the costuming community over this. I belong to the Rebel Legion (Good guy Star Wars costumes) and 501st Legion (Bad Guy Star Wars costumes). Both groups have 10's of thousands of members world-wide and raise millions of dollars for charities each year. People are terrified of a cease and desist from Disney. If you've been to Star Wars Weekends at WDW you've seen both groups in the parades there. My feeling is that the only time I've seen Disney do a C&D (and I've seen a few) is when people were costuming for profit. So I'm a little more hopeful that we'll get to continue business as usual. But what are others thoughts on this. I am a bit sad as it truly is the end of an era.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

I am having visions of the rebellion rising.
    Seriously, I do not envision Disney going there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    I'm not sure what to think. I do think Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise couldn't have gone to a better home. Especially with the announcement that they are going to make Episodes 7, 8, and 9. However, there is mild (ok not so mild) panic in the costuming community over this. I belong to the Rebel Legion (Good guy Star Wars costumes) and 501st Legion (Bad Guy Star Wars costumes). Both groups have 10's of thousands of members world-wide and raise millions of dollars for charities each year. People are terrified of a cease and desist from Disney. If you've been to Star Wars Weekends at WDW you've seen both groups in the parades there. My feeling is that the only time I've seen Disney do a C&D (and I've seen a few) is when people were costuming for profit. So I'm a little more hopeful that we'll get to continue business as usual. But what are others thoughts on this. I am a bit sad as it truly is the end of an era.
    Yeah, taking from that, I foresee the "Celebration" conventions coming to an end and being combined into their "D23" events, if those still occur. I'm out of the loop when it comes to those.

Blog Entries

to me - that parks are NOT the primary focal point here. Digital media, online systems, and ownership of all of the characters were they key. Now they don't have to be creative, well, except for story (and I hope they get that right). the comment that they'd get a new star wars film out every three years - yeah, there are enough characters but who will write the stories.

I can only think they can put in one or two more attractions into TLAND. Maybe the cantina idea sounds cool - but I do not believe the park brain trust wants to convert an existing land to be one theme, even though they did it with Carsland. I could be wrong - but I have to think they would be thinking BIGGER than just tomorrowland.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Just in case you want to plan it - next year's D23 expo in Anaheim will probably have a sneek peak of the film - or at least something from it - at the Disney studios day. I'd be camping out overnight to get in to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Just in case you want to plan it - next year's D23 expo in Anaheim will probably have a sneek peak of the film - or at least something from it - at the Disney studios day. I'd be camping out overnight to get in to that one.
    Well I'm in Florida now, so I doubt I'll be making it to Anacrime next year.

Certainly... The big picture here is that Disney now owns Industrial Light and Magic, Skywalker Sound and THX. They now have a hand in practically every movie made in Hollywood, in one way or another. Chewing on the carcass of Star Wars is a bonus.

I would absolutely not put it past them to convert all of Tomorrowland into a Star Wars land. One only has to look at what Tomorrowland is today to see that they have a pretty ambivalent attitude towards this whole concept of a "theme" park. It is already a Universal Studios-like mish-mash of whatever IP happens to be making money at the moment. There are only two factors that I think could possibly restrain them: 1) they don't want to have to get rid of the Pixar and projected Marvel rides, and 2) maybe, just maybe, the idea of having Tomorrowland as one of the original lands is too sacrosanct. However I wouldn't put money on the latter. WDC, Inc. is in the business of making money, and if they can do that by slapping the Rebel Alliance logo on Space Mountain you better believe they will.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    But thanks anyways, I forgot to state earlier.

Well they would have to change the name of tomorrowland becasue Star Wars does not take place in the future.
    A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away....