Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Ruined Birthday Celebration

Whoa! Ruined Birthday Celebration

On Friday Oct 12, I went with my daughter and my spouse to Dland to celebrate her birthday. We have a tradition, for each child they get a solo trip with just us for their Birthday. They get to do what they want no matter what the trek involved is. IE. Autopia followed by Pooh... Its all about making it a special day/night for the birthday girl/boy.

Anyways. We went on Oct 12, and our last ride of the night @ Dland before dinner was Space Mountain. It was her 6th Bday... she wanted to try out Ghost Galaxies for the first time. Long story short she didn't like the overlay. We rode around 6:45-50pm. After our ride we came back to unload and the lap bars didn't release. They moved us forward to where they check that your lap bar is properly in place. We asked what is going on, we have already gone on the ride. They CM informed us that because the people before us didn't load fast enough we are going again.... Now we are stuck with my daughter pleading to get off the ride. The CM just looked at us and said "Your lucky and get to go again!". As we informed her we didn't want to go again we want off. She just smiled and said enjoy.

I have been bouncing this around my head for the last day... a child wanted off the ride. Had already had their ride. The parents asked to get off and we were forced to go again. I understand about the whole e-stop that would occur if they unloaded us, but honestly I don't care. A child was scared and didn't want to go again. Im pretty livid about this since when did Disney start forcing you to go on a ride you didn't want to. We went to city hall on the way out to complain and the CMs solution was here is a "Princess" button for you. I didn't want to prolong it she was done with Dland. Just wanted to go home and didn't even care about her special BDay dinner at that point. So I wasn't willing to invest the time to talk about how very wrong the situation was. My daughter had enough that night and just needed to leave.

Im really curious, what do you suggest we can do in the future if something like this happens again? How can we get off if we are locked in? Space Mountain was her favorite ride before this occurred now she says she doesn't ever want to go on it again... Hopefully she will forget about this after some time. But in the mean time, has this occurred to anyone else? I was absolutely floored when they wouldn't let us off. I do understand they need to keep the ride running but after you have been and you want off I just can't understand why they wouldn't allow us off. Its not our fault the timing was wrong the train or 2 before us.

2. # ADS

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

I had something VERY similar to me on the Mickey Ferris wheel. I had never been on one before and DH was nervous but went anyway to let me have that experience.
    We were not in the swinging cabs just the stationary but I ended up having an adult sized FREAK OUT. When we got back around to unload/reload the CM literally laughed at me as I begged to get off and pressed the resend button.
    We took his name to City Hall and basically given a "sorry" shrug.

We sent emails and have received apologies. You'll never feel vindicated and I am so sorry for that.

My best advice would be to just ease her back into Space Mountain once the overlay is off, reminder her how much she loved it before and that she never has to ride Ghost Galaxy again. The old Space was what she loved and that the Ghost overlay is only around for a few weeks a year.

I am so sorry again and I hope that she bounces back quickly.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

That is unfortunate for Ghost Galaxy especially. We haven't taken the kids on it since I don't know/think they will like it, but the ride has warnings all over it that it may be scary for younger people. Normally, people are happy when they get to go on a ride twice, but I could see a child being decidedly not happy with a repeat of that version of the ride.

They do have a way even after the loading area to send the car to the left (instead of right and up the hill for the ride) where they can manually release the seatbelts - but it is a lot more time/effort for the castmembers and possibly just makes another car have to go twice because the entire ride could shutdown if the timing gets too far off. The cast-members should be able to respond differently to "my child would prefer to not ride again" and "YOU NEED TO GET MY CHILD OFF THIS RIDE NOW." If they think it is just a preference, they are probably not going to out of their way to do anything. If it is a NOW, there were other things they could have done. As a parent, you have to make sure that your child's needs are appropriately communicated without freaking out the child even more than they already are - which can be very challenging.

I'm not sure what you expected from City Hall, they can't undo her going on the ride twice. If she was done with Disney, even offering fastpasses to a different ride (one of their favorite comps) wouldn't have done much good. If she seemed calm and happy to accept the button, then they probably logged the complaint but I don't know what else they could have done. If she were shaking, visibly upset, or needed a place to calm down, you could have taken her to first aid. They may have taken the problem a bit more seriously as you were seeking medical attention versus simply complaining. But note that even though you feel like they weren't doing much, that doesn't mean that they didn't take the complaint seriously. Your comments likely went to that attraction and perhaps they will receive better training to assess what to do in similar circumstances when there are kids on the ride.

I probably would have yelled, "My child is about to puke!" Maybe that would have gotten them to change their mind.

I had a similar incident in Florida on Expedition Everest. I apparently was not fast enough in putting my lap bar down and a CM came by and shoved it down as far as it could go. Basically into my stomach where it hurt! I told her it was too tight and could she unlock it and do it again? She replied, "well you could get off." I said "ok fine, let me off then." She smirked and walked away. I pushed myself up with my feet during the ride so the lap bar was not so tight and I was a bit taller. I was still safe. I was so mad. I didn't log a complaint because it was our special family trip and I didn't want to let the snotty CM ruin my day but sometimes there are those CM's who just suck or are afraid of getting in trouble.
    So sorry your daughter had to experience it on her birthday and being so young too. Hopefully time will erase the memories.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

With or without the overlay, even I cannot ride Space Mountain twice in a row! That is a very intense ride. My seven-year-old still isn't ready to go on it. I sympathize with you. Sending someone around twice on Space Mountain is not the same as sending them around twice on something like Little Mermaid. I agree that what they did is unacceptable. I'm sorry that your child had to experience that.

I do agree with the previous poster who stated that it probably was sent on to the department responsible and will probably be addressed. Just because someone did not visibly react to your complaint, doesn't mean that it won't be taken seriously. If you are able to write a letter about this incident, I would.

Blog Entries

I was on this ride yesterday and was actually thinking it was way too intense for most young kids. My younger nephew just started on that ride and loves it but I don't know how he'd handle the overlay. If I had the benefit of having a second adult, I'd probably have asked about sending one of them through first alone--kind of a rider swap--to check it out.

It's unfortunate that it happened but she's young. If you don't dwell on it, probably she won't either.

You're passholders, as I recall, or were, so fortunately she'll have other opportunities and hopefully the next one will be a big improvement. (My visit yesterday was seriously marred by an unfortunate set of circumstances at my hotel but knowing I'd be back helped me keep my reaction in check--eventually! At the time, I made do with registering my dissatisfaction and then did what you did--cut my visit short.)

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Ruined Birthday Celebration

That is so amazing to me that they made her ride again. When my son was 5 we wanted him to try Space. He didn't want to be we wanted him to go on it once. He liked BTMRR so it wasn't the speed just the unknown. He had his head in my arm and holding on tight. The CM asked him if he wanted to go on it and he shook his head no. They pulled the train to the left and made us get off. We were really mad because we wanted him to try it. Most rides that he was hesitant about but we made him go on he ended up really liking. After that happened we couldn't get him on anything he didn't want to go on. They told us it was for safety reasons because if he was scared he might try to climb out. I knew that wouldn't happen. I'm surprised things have changed that much in 6 yrs. I'm sorry you had that experience.

Disneyland Regular

I think they had a choice. Run you through again, or have the ride shut down. I am pretty sure they would rather have had one angry guest, than thousands.

God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bytebear View Post
    I think they had a choice. Run you through again, or have the ride shut down. I am pretty sure they would rather have had one angry guest, than thousands.
    Yes we do have passes so it is good that hopefully after a short time she will forget about it and get passed it during the next visit without the overlay.

Mainly I just couldnt believe they made us go again after her pleading to get off. I understand that it would of disrupted alot of other guests nights. But at the same time it is Disney... Its supposed to be special for the individual not the masses if you get what I mean. This just seems like a Six Flags type of situation where they employees dont care vs Disney where 99.999% of the time the CMs truly care and make each visit special.

As for it being scary for young kids. Each are so unique. Our 3yr old boy (4 in 3 days) absolutely loves the overlay. Our 6yr old boy was unsure about it at first but fell in love with it after his 2nd ride.. Its funny cause she (just turned 6) is usually the dare devil but not for this.... Our solution to seeing if they could handle the overlay before hand was us going on it multiple times and videoing it then showing the kids what they would see and talking about it to preparing them. Then giving the option if they wanted to try it out.

I do hope the complaint does get to the right people and they do take into account in the future if a child begs to get off more importance should be placed on that then the extra work they would have to do.

Honestly I would have been pretty angry too. In fact, during the non-overlay time, we had this exact situation on SM. They asked if we all wanted to go again and a single, lone totally grown adult guy said "no". No no repeatedly or anything else, just no. And they forwarded our car, pulled off to the little track that veers to the left, the CM went and go the rolling step ladder, and he got out (and his now embarassed female companion). They actually don't have to do the emergency stop in that situation, that's what taking the ride off the track does, it prevents it. I'm not really too sure what City Hall can do to "make up for it", but I would have really quickly before leaving the ride made sure I had the CM's name and I would have said that it really needs to be addressed. They can't make you ride again. You always retain your right to consent. It was wrong. What if your daughter had said "no" because she didn't feel well and was on the verge of barfing? What if she had vomited all over you and other guests. Been sprayed on at Knotts once, by someone else and trust me, if it had happened because an employee didn't listen to another guest, I'd have been PISSED. And not only that, but they would have had to call the custodial team out to come do a sanitation clean and I've waiting for those before (Haunted Mansion) and it takes a lot more time. Far more than waiting an additional 5 minutes because something went wrong. By the way, your daughter wanting off the ride wasn't what originally went wrong. You should have been able to get off, it's just that they have figured out a little "fix" to avoid a more timely fix.

I think you should still follow up with a letter/email. I'm not big on people who can't forgive little things or a CM having an off day, but someone saying I need to get off the ride and being ignored is a bigger deal to me.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

I agree with Teddi. I would've been livid. I'd follow up with a letter/email. It's definitely something that needs to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I'm not sure what you expected from City Hall, they can't undo her going on the ride twice. If she was done with Disney, even offering fastpasses to a different ride (one of their favorite comps) wouldn't have done much good.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I know what I would have wanted. I would have wanted to hear that it shouldn't have happened and that they would followup with the castmembers at the ride and make sure they understand the procedures so that it wouldn't happen again. That's it. "I'm sorry, here's a button," is just someone not listening and brushing you off. Even the person taking information to look into it would be fine. If I got a followup letter saying that they looked into it and that the castmember did follow proper procedures because blah blah blah. I wouldn't be happy that was the procedure, but what I really want in that situation is someone to listen to me and take my complain seriously.

As someone who has been on the other end of this situation (stuck on the ride after it shut down, and had to be walked off), I think the CM made the right call. I'm not sure how you phrased it, or how urgent your daughter's situation *really* was, but I bet the CM's lead would have agreed. I'm sorry your DD was scared, but to force 50+ (?) people to be stuck on the ride for however long plus delay or even stop hundreds of people from being able to ride for one person is just not right. I do think you were owed an apology for the situation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I know what I would have wanted. I would have wanted to hear that it shouldn't have happened and that they would followup with the castmembers at the ride and make sure they understand the procedures so that it wouldn't happen again. That's it. "I'm sorry, here's a button," is just someone not listening and brushing you off. Even the person taking information to look into it would be fine. If I got a followup letter saying that they looked into it and that the castmember did follow proper procedures because blah blah blah. I wouldn't be happy that was the procedure, but what I really want in that situation is someone to listen to me and take my complain seriously.
    Bingo! An apology & accepting responsibility goes a long way. Yes, you can't really change what happened, but there's no way what happened was really "ok" so admit it. Or even if you don't see a real problem with it, just apologize & say you'll have it addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ainsley09 View Post
    As someone who has been on the other end of this situation (stuck on the ride after it shut down, and had to be walked off), I think the CM made the right call. I'm not sure how you phrased it, or how urgent your daughter's situation *really* was, but I bet the CM's lead would have agreed. I'm sorry your DD was scared, but to force 50+ (?) people to be stuck on the ride for however long plus delay or even stop hundreds of people from being able to ride for one person is just not right. I do think you were owed an apology for the situation though.
    I have to disagree. I was on SM once & we were directed off to the left b/c of either another passenger standing up and/or weight that was off. It didn't stop the ride, it just forced us down to the left, & through a different door.

I'm sorry your DD was scared, but to force 50+ (?) people to be stuck on the ride for however long plus delay or even stop hundreds of people from being able to ride for one person is just not right. I do think you were owed an apology for the situation though
    I don't believe this to be the case, since as someone else posted, we've been in this exact scenario on SM and it did NOT force an e-stop on the ride.
    Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier