Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Best place to rent a wheelchair or scooter?

Best place to rent a wheelchair or scooter?

A friend of mine will be in Disney this Thanksgiving. She has MS and I don't think that she will survive walking in the parks for a whole week. Where is the best place to rent a wheelchair or scooter from? Isn't there a service that delivers and picks it up from the resort?

“Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.”
    ― Walt Disney Company

2. # ADS

I just read somewhere on the web (and darn if I can remember where) that Disney is moving towards approved suppliers for delivery of these scooters to WDW resorts. Three companies have been approved so far - Walker being one of them (sorry I don't remember the other 2 companies) and other companies are expected to be approved.

As far as I recall, if you rent a scooter from an "approved" supplier - it can be delivered to bell services. You will still be able to rent from any company you want - but if it's not from an approved supplier, then you must meet the delivery van, it can't go to bell services.

ETA:
    A question to ask whatever company you decide to rent from: Do you provide pick-up and return from bell services, or will you need to meet the driver?

Last edited by Barberella; 10-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We used Walker (Link) a couple years back to rent a scooter for my mom. Nothing but a superb experience. It was waiting for us when we got to our resort and we dropped it off at bell services when we were about to leave at the end of our trip.

And, of course, Disney does a great job at accommodating guests who are using scooters or wheelchairs.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

i always rent a scooter from Buena Vista Scooters. They have a counter on the Boardwalk, where you can also rent the surreys & bikes, (at least they did last time I checked, which has been awhile ago.) I last rented from them this past September & will be getting another scooter in early December. They deliver to & pick up from bell services. Their local (Orlando) phone # is: 407-938-0349 & their other # is: 866-484-4797. It cost $30/day + tax. You can also get an insurance policy for ANY damage that might occur, for $20 for the entire time you have the scooter.

Thanks so much! I have passed all this info on to my friend. She was very grateful, as this is the first time she has gone to Disney since being diagnosed with MS.

― Walt Disney Company

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    We used Walker (Link) a couple years back to rent a scooter for my mom. Nothing but a superb experience. It was waiting for us when we got to our resort and we dropped it off at bell services when we were about to leave at the end of our trip.

And, of course, Disney does a great job at accommodating guests who are using scooters or wheelchairs.
    I second Gusman.
    We used them for DH's grandfather several years ago and were very pleased with the price and service.
    When I told the lady when we were arriving/departing she was able to schedule it so that we saved a half days fees.
    Going on our first Disney Cruise
    Very Merrytime Cruise 12/5/2022
    ~Katrina

I have a related question about wheelchair rentals. My mother doesn't use a wheelchair at home, but she has asthma and is worried about all the walking in the parks. She doesn't think she'll need a wheelchair outside of the parks, so it seems more convenient (and about the same price) to rent from Disney. However, I've heard that the Disney wheelchairs are uncomfortable and difficult to push. Anyone had any experience with this? If this is true, are the wheelchairs from the outside companies any better?

A recent AllEars Blog entry "Scooting Around Walt Disney World on an ECV" which some may find helpful.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestb...sney_wo_1.html

“When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    A recent AllEars Blog entry "Scooting Around Walt Disney World on an ECV" which some may find helpful.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestb...sney_wo_1.html
    Great info, thanks so much!!!
    ― Walt Disney Company

Quote Originally Posted by prekmom View Post
    Great info, thanks so much!!!
    I agree. It's great info. However, when I was there in September, I did not once have to back into a bus. Most of the buses now have a ramp that you can drive straight into. (There may be a few of the older buses around with the lift, that you DO have to back into.) I DID, however have to back out a several monorails. So, practice is still necessary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mxrapu View Post
    However, I've heard that the Disney wheelchairs are uncomfortable and difficult to push.
    My daughter needed a wheelchair a couple times during our last trip due to a knee injury a couple months earlier. They are standard wheelchairs - nothing too fancy. They were not all that hard to push and were pretty much your run of the mill chairs. I dont think you would get much better from an outside vendor.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Just wanted to point out the latest MP update which lists changes in WDW policy for ECV rental deliveries to resorts.

The 5 preferred ECV vendors for WDW resorts: Buena Vista, Best Price, C.A.R.E., Apple Mobility and Scooter Bug.

Details here:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/10151/Wal...Update#rentals

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barberella View Post
    The 5 preferred ECV vendors for WDW resorts: Buena Vista, Best Price, C.A.R.E., Apple Mobility and Scooter Bug.
    So, I guess this is as good of a time as any to ask if anyone used any of the preferred vendors? I think I have seen scooters from Buena Vista around property before, which were similar/identical as the ones that we rented from Walker at one time. (Unless they changed their ECV fleet.)

Yikes...I've been away and off the 'pad' for awhile...but I want to plug my favorite scooter rental place: www.scootorlando.com. I've used them a couple of times for WDW and DCL clients; they will drop off at your resort hotel before you arrive and pick up when you leave (or meet you at the airport if you are going on the ship). I especially like how the scooters come apart, making it easy to put them in the trunk of a car or onboard the luggage area onboard the DCL bus.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best place to rent a wheelchair or scooter?

Mary, are they still able to drop off before the guests arrive with the new '5 companies' policy?

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    So, I guess this is as good of a time as any to ask if anyone used any of the preferred vendors? I think I have seen scooters from Buena Vista around property before, which were similar/identical as the ones that we rented from Walker at one time. (Unless they changed their ECV fleet.)
    I have used Buena Vista Scooters many, many times & they are great. The only problem I've ever had with any of the scooters I've rented from them is, a couple of years ago, my scooter got a flat tire. I called them & within an hour I had another one. Another time I had brought my scooter from home, & while charging the battery it shorted out. The room filled with smoke, the smoke alarm worked REAL well, & we had RCFD there. I called Buena Vista that evening, & had a scooter 1st thing the next morning. Their prices are very reasonable: $30/day (2 day minimum) & if you mention allears.net you get a 10% discount. I highly recommend them.
    I don't know anything about the other companies. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of any of the them, except C.A.R.E., but have never rented a scooter from them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Mary, are they still able to drop off before the guests arrive with the new '5 companies' policy?
    In a way, I was kinda wondering the same thing...ie: there are some good rental companies out there and not sure people want to switch from a company they had good luck with before.

This may be an oddball kind of questions, but someone may have an answer.

If you have to rent a stroller/wheelchair for vacation (ie WDW) can you use your Medical Flex Spending monies? I know we did when we bought DD's adaptive stroller, but never thought about it for rental fees.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Interesting question Teddi, probably worth a call to ask.

Blog Entries

Agreed with candles71 - I think a call to the group that manages that benefit for you would be able to give you the specific answer you need. What may be an eligible cost for one, may not be for another.

Good news: Should be able to do the Flex monies to pay for EVC/WC rental fees

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Nice. And thanks for the info.