Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland for autistic children

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Disneyland for autistic children

Hello,

Next year my family and I are planning a reunion in Huntington Beach, and I would love if we can get as many of us together for a day in the parks. A challenge we have is that my cousin has a (currently) 3-year-old daughter who has autism. As of today, she doesn't talk or walk, and does not react well to being around too many people. That certainly makes it difficult to gauge how she will handle being at Disneyland with a park full of people. At the same time, we should not deprive her of the chance to be positively stimulated by the environment, the background music, any characters that may make her smile, or any rides that will make her happy. Certainly if she is not doing well, we can take her home, but we would love the opportunity to try, hoping it's a great place for her.

Does anyone here have children with autism, or know of others who bring their autistic children to the park? Can anyone share stories of what rides, characters, shows, etc., their autistic children have responded to? I understand autism is subjective and each child responds differently. However, if we can gauge ahead of time what the environment may be like for her, we can see if it's the right place for her overall.

Thanks!

DISNEYLAND CAST MEMBER - 1996-2005
    The best memories of my life...

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

You should be able to get a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) at City Hall, that will help with some of the waiting in lines. A pair of noise-canceling headphones will help filter out the ambient noise and keep her calm. Between now and your trip to DL, see if you can take her out on other outings and see how she reacts. The dark rides in Fantasyland are wonderful, but are they going to be too much for her.

On my last trip this summer. I saw the Fairy Godmother interact with a little girl. I couldn't hear what she was saying, but I felt that
    the two of them had a very special moment. PIC_7102.jpg

My DS is 8 and is Autistic. He has a GAC, it is a huge help. With this card you will use the handicap access entry, which is not "a front of the line pass" but rather for our kids just much less crowded and congested. I bring ear plugs for the fireworks. DS loves Star Tours, Buzz, Pinnocio, Snow White. We tend to ride those rides over and over. I follow his lead and only get on things he wants to go on. When he is over stimulated we head over to the lower level of Hungry Bear and watch the ducks, or have a seat over at the seating areas between the castle and the Matterhorn. We have been going to Disneyland since he was 3, when he was younger he was more willing to try new things, but we still have a great time, every time we are there.

My youngest daughter (18yrs old) is on the spectrum (PDD-NOS), and is high functioning. I have a friend who has a severly autistic son (19yrs old). They are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but have a few needs in common. With both, it's important to map out quiet areas in the park where they can decompress. Both need to take rests mid-day. Neither one is fond of fireworks, even with the noise cancelling headphones. My DD will watch them once, mostly because she gets frustrated by her limitations and likes to push her own boundaries from time to time.

Both of them have specific rides and attractions they just simply can't make themselves experience. For DD, the BIG no-no is Bug's Life. She has never gotten over her first experience with that attraction - the poke in the back and awful smells still haunt her! She also doesn't like Screamin', ToT, or Mickey's Fun Wheel. She doesn't do well with the sensation of falling.

The key is really to pay attention to her reactions. Start small and work your way up if you'd like. Even if she's not verbal, showing videos of the rides and talking about what she will encounter may help. Have them bring comforting items from home like a blanket, pillow, or favorite stuffed animal.

Keep in mind that there is a first aid station in each park. If you can't find a quiet space, it can be a life-saver!

The GAC is a good idea. It won't get you on rides any faster, but it will give you a much quieter place to wait for some of them.

Even though we have been to Disneyland more times than I can count, we still prep for a month or two before we go. We do this by going to crowded areas (malls, community flea markets, craft fairs, etc.). It gives her a chance to get a bit desensitized and gives me a reminder to pick up on the non-verbal cues she gives when she's starting to get overwhelmed.

Most of all, have fun!

Blog Entries

When Youngest was that age, she was very picky about what she was willing to do, and she would get stuck wanting the same ride over and over. Usually, it was IASW.

The headphones or ear plugs should help. Since she isn't walking, check with guest relations about having her GAC marked to use her stroller as a wheelchair. Since she is only 3, and not walking, most of the big rides are out (which is fine because many autistics don't like the falling feeling caused by them) but she will probably like most of Fantasyland.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    When Youngest was that age, she was very picky about what she was willing to do, and she would get stuck wanting the same ride over and over. Usually, it was IASW.
    Ah, IASW! My DD was OBSESSED with this ride! I think she was around 5 when that's ALL she wanted to ride. After 8 times back to back, I videotaped the entire ride so she could watch it while her sister road other things. Thankfully she grew out of that phase :-)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had considered the GAC, but had not considered headphones for her. I think that's a great idea, as is integrating her into crowds ahead of time. I think we will be able to find things that work for her.

DISNEYLAND CAST MEMBER - 1996-2005
    The best memories of my life...