Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Food & Wine 2012

Food & Wine 2012

I figured we'd start a Food & Wine thread for info as it comes in. I know the Party for the Senses dates have been announced.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/0...nts-and-chefs/

The Disney Food Blog had some more info yesterday including the Mushroom Filet will be available at the Canada booth along with the Cheese soup this year.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

2. # ADS

Thanks for starting this thread! I've started reading info and am looking forward to going this year. I am thinking of one special event this year and am trying to decide between MNSSHP and the Dessert Party at Epcot which is part of the F&W Festival. So many choices!

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a really hard choice, Nikki!
    Have they said, for sure, that they're doing the dessert party this year? The only thing I've seen for sure is that they're doing the Party for the Senses (and with tickets not on sale until late August, I don't expect to see anything official until just a week or two, at most, before then).

My sister and I went the two years ago, and we went last year with our other two sisters. (I think they've only done it the two years). They do have a wide range of desserts, and quite a few different companies pouring different kinds of drinks. And then a fun band going most of the time.

It is quite a bit shorter, time wise, than the Halloween party, but I haven't felt 'rushed' at the dessert event, so it's an ok amount of time for the event that it is.

If I was choosing between the two, I'd go for the dessert party - but my sister and I (just the two of us this year) have already decided we're going to skip it this year -- we could go on two different days - but the second one is the day before the half marathon that we're doing - and we know better (even though we'd have a full 24 hours for digestion/etc), and the first is the day before MouseAdventure, and although we've done it the night before MA both other times, we decided to go for the longer nights sleep this year. Plus, we had a lot of fun because it was all 4 of us last year, and a group of 2 generally isn't as much fun as a party of 2!

Cathy

According to the link I posted the 3D Dessert parties are returning on select Fridays. It doesn't mention dates yet.

Blog Entries

Hmmm, I wonder what Fridays won't be included?

Cathy

Looking forward to trying the "classic" Florida cuisine items. They look yummy!

John

Blog Entries

I am going twice this year! Woohoo! (I had to make up for not attending last year!)

So happy that the chicken chipotle sausage will be back again. I loved that dish! I am sad that they are changing the mussels dish because I absolutely loved that dish too.

I will be there for (almost) the first week and the last week of the festival. I can't wait to eat EVERYTHING!

Kristin

How horrible are Friday nights? I know they are busier with locals, but with DH in meetings until 5, it makes sense to go to Epcot which is open until 10 over DHS which closes at 8.

Blog Entries

Friday nights can be really super busy. If that's your only choice of days, then that's your only choice of days -- but it's really amazing the difference in crowds. I really don't enjoy Friday evenings if I'm attempting to try things at the booths. I don't do crowds well, though.

If you're going to be there during the day and then having your husband join you, after you've scoped out things during the day, it might be workable for you two.

What other day would you have the option of doing Epcot after meetings? Because you might actually get more done in less time on a different night.

But again, I'm very crowd adverse.

Cathy

We will be doing Epcot a couple of nights, including the night before. We really only care if we do Epcot, MK to see MSEP, and AK. I'll have a hopper so I can hit other parks during the day. We will be there Thursday-Tuesday, with meetings until mid day Sunday. I'm hoping for a late flight Tuesday.

Blog Entries

I try to avoid Fridays and Saturdays like Cathy said. I think it is even worse if the musical guest is popular. We were there on a Saturday for Chubby Checker and another year on a Saturday for David Cassidy. David Cassidy was crowded, but not horrible. Chubby Checker.....you couldn't even walk through the USA section of Epcot while he was performing. You had to walk by the building in USA to get around the crowd.

They do make the lines go fast though. At night it is more crowded than during the day, but like I said it takes about 5 minutes with a long line.

I do highly recommend getting the gift card wrist band. You can buy them at the festival welcome center and at almost all the kiosks or mini-store kiosks. They are so easy to access and to use and you just wear it on your wrist!

Kristin

I have never been to Food & Wine, but my parents just got plane tickets for Sept 26-Oct 3, and my youngest brother will be there on the weekend at least. So I may have to save up and go this year! Any recommendations for first-timers at F&W? Thanks.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Any recommendations for first-timers at F&W?
    I'd like some tips too!
    Shannon

Blog Entries
    • Pace yourself.
    • If you can schedule multiple visits, then you'll be better able to pace and still try most everything (you want).
    • Ask people when you're standing in line what else they've tried this year that they liked. If you see someone eating something that they either look like they're enjoying or it looks appealing to you - ask them what it is/where they got it. (These work much better on non-weekend days when it's not so crowded.)
    • If you smell lamb or fish as you go buy a kiosk serving those items - don't get them that time. (those are the two most common ones that have sporadic quality, in my experiences - and really, fish shouldn't smell or taste fishy, and lamb shouldn't smell gamey either!)
    • Get the passport and keep track of what you tried. My sister and I like to use a plus/check/minus categorization as well as a $ if it's a good value for the cost.
    • Get the gift card on a wrist strap - super easy to use AND easy to keep track of how much you've spent (it goes REALLY fast, especially if you're trying wine, beer, or other adult drinks) And you can reload it anywhere. Super great if you are sharing and have two household budgets you're using.
    • Get a list beforehand and review what you REALLY want to try, so you don't miss them because you're too full.
    • SHARE. My sister and I share just about everything, and one time when I went that she wasn't there, I just didn't get to try as much! (creme brule we generally each get our own. Or the chocolate cake in Ireland)
    • Don't forget to hydrate.
    • Stop and take in an attraction/musical act/other entertainment/Phineas and Ferb adventure every once in a while.
    • We don't generally mix savory with sweet, so we know we'll probably vist each booth twice!

This one is going to seem odd, and may not apply to you (and doesn't always apply to us). If we're doing booths for a meal and had a super light breakfast (or it was a long time before), we sometimes notice that we're not getting enough food at once to really get our blood sugar where we want it. So we stop and share something from an CS that's high in protein to get to the needed level for energy reasons. Usually a kids meal that we split (like chicken wings, or sausage from Germany, or kids taco - or even the wrap from Electric Umbrella (that kids meal makes a great 'heavy snack', by the way, when you split it) It's really kind of odd, but we both notice it on occassion -- it's good to be able to LISTEN to what your body is trying to tell you.
    Cathy

I really think we will be hitting Epcot 4 of the 5 days we will be there....trying to get a 6th day with creative flight scheduling.

Shannon

Cathy provided a good roundup of tips to make your Food & Wine visit more organized and enjoyable. For me, though, the fun is in the spontenaity of it all - checking out the booths and seeing if anything appeals. I start at either the Mexico side or the Canada side and work my way up. I'm usually stuffed (and a bit snockered!) by the time I reach the American pavilion. I'll occasionally get something that's not so great, but for the most part it's really an enjoyable meal. I usually take my food and drink to the nearest trashcan and use it as a tabletop. There are some tables scattered around, but they're usually full, and there's no waiting for a trashcan table.

Also, beware of Friday and Saturday nights - very popular with Orlando area locals!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

I really take my time going around the World Showcase. We don't stop at every kiosk, more like every 3rd. We do multiple laps around the WS too going back to the kiosks we skipped. We find that we don't fill up as fast and we are slowly eating our way around. I do make sure I put something in my tummy before I start drinking. One year I didn't and that combined with the heat knocked me out pretty fast. Still went to my Hoop De Doo reservations. Took the bus back to the room after that. Made it to the room....and well....I was reminded what I ate that day. I have learned since then!

Now I make sure I go slow. Not only is it more enjoyable, but I will never make a fool of myself in public like I see others doing. I have seen people being carried out by their spouses (poor girl...it was her honeymoon and she could barely hold her husband!), trying to use the restroom while holding 2 drinks, and well I've seen my share of utter messes!

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    [LIST][*]Pace yourself.
    Thanks for the advice, sounds like good ideas.
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I usually take my food and drink to the nearest trashcan and use it as a tabletop. There are some tables scattered around, but they're usually full, and there's no waiting for a trashcan table.

Also, beware of Friday and Saturday nights - very popular with Orlando area locals!
    We use trash cans too! Will try to go on non-weekend nights, if possible. Yeah, even doing the usual Beers Around The World gets me pretty happy these days... Are the drinks at F&W full-size or sample portions? Eating all that food and drinking at the same time can be quite filling...

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    Now I make sure I go slow. Not only is it more enjoyable, but I will never make a fool of myself in public like I see others doing. I have seen people being carried out by their spouses (poor girl...it was her honeymoon and she could barely hold her husband!), trying to use the restroom while holding 2 drinks, and well I've seen my share of utter messes!
    Yup, it's WDW, not Vegas! Some people forget they are at the Happiest Place on Earth, not in college on Spring Break any more. I figure it will be a lot cooler at the end of Sept than it is now, but you still need to drink water in between other beverages to stay hydrated.

Are the drinks at F&W full-size or sample portions?
    They're small-ish. I think the wine is usually a 2 ounce pour. Sometimes the mixed drinks or slushies are larger, but it's no where near what your local pub will pour. So I just enjoy the wine for the taste, and then settle down for some serious drinking at the Rose & Crown!
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Yup, it's WDW, not Vegas!
    Tanorexic grandma in leopard print pants taking shots of Jagermeister. I still get shivers.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Without having to look it up, what's "tanorexic"?

Whatever it is, the rest of your post sounds HORRID!!!

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Without having to look it up, what's "tanorexic"?

Whatever it is, the rest of your post sounds HORRID!!!
    You know the leathery older lady on Something About Mary?......

I should have been able to figger that out . . .

- James Taylor