Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: FastPass Plus Trials in September

FastPass Plus Trials in September

Got an email from Disney yesterday inviting me to participate in the September tests of the FastPass Plus program. They gave me a special website link along with a special reservation # in the email. I had to log into the fastpass plus website with my disney ID and password, and then supply the special reservation # they emailed to me. Upon entering that information, they pulled in the names of all of the guests on my resort reservation. They then allowed me to select what day during the testing period I wanted to participate. (I chose the last day, Sept. 24th). It then gave me two groups of rides/attractions/entertainment options. I had to select two from each of the two groupings (for a total of four). It then gave me four scenarios of what order and time periods the passes were to be used for. After selecting one of the four options (taking into account time for lunch), you hit a complete itinerary button and it saves it. (also sent me a confirmation email) You can go back and log in anytime you want and change your selections.
    Three interesting things of note --
    First: The actual fastpass time windows were only a half hour long when presented to me for selection on the website; however, they were actually an hour long in the confirmation email that I received. There is also a two hour window between each of the four passes.

Second: The order of scheduling and timing was set up so that you would not have to 'back-track' your steps through the park in order to hit all of your fast pass windows.

Third: Half of the selections were not for rides/attractions that currently require fastpasses - but rather new options. For example: One of the ones we selected was reserved seating in front of the castle for the Wishes fireworks that night.

Apparently, the 'fastpass' list is loaded onto my KTTW card upon check-in at my resort and I will get a printout of the list. (I am assuming there will be a RFID chip in the KTTW card for use in the new queues). The use of smart phones is only to allow access to the special fastpass plus website to access your choices/change selections/etc. For those not carrying such phones, there are apparently kiosks that will be setup throughout the park during the test to be able to access your fastpass plus account. Obviously by going this route, Disney is clearly tying the fastpass plus system directly to your resort reservation and you can also pick and choose which members of your party got which fast passes. (or all) --

(In thinking about all of this, I realized I will be able to get traditional fastpasses throughout the day as I am an AP holder, and thus my ticket media is not tied to my resort reservation in anyway - though I am sure that is something they are working on now to close that loop)

That's about it for now...... will let everyone know how it works out when I get back from my trip.

2. # ADS

That is really interesting. I am curious about the other options that are not currently fast pass already... the Wished seating sounds like a cool thing (perhaps a little like World of Color's system in California)

WDW: 2012 (Contemporary), 2010 (Caribbean Beach) , 2007 (Animal Kingdom), 2001 (Beach Club)
    DLR: 5/2014, 4/2014, 10/2013, 1989, 1979

Did the email say if you have FP reservations on your ticket media, you could not also use that same media to get fast passes at the regular places throughout the parks? For example if you picked and had a reservation on your media for say Peter Pan would you be able to be in the park and get a fast pass as well? Was it just for Magic Kingdom?

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

HouseOfMouse:
    Email did not state whether you could get other fast passes or not. As I am an annual passholder, I have separate ticket media from the media that these FP+ are on - so I am assuming that I can still get other fast passes --- This test is strictly for the Magic Kingdom - Sept. 18th - 24th

My DD just informed me that we have gotten the fast passes plus for Sept. 23rd. We will be using them for Mickey's PhilharMagic, The Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear's Space Rangers, & Town Square Theater: Meet the Princesses. We are very excited to be participating in the trial. Sure wish they had it at DHS, for TSMM.

"First: The actual fastpass time windows were only a half hour long when presented to me for selection on the website; however, they were actually an hour long in the confirmation email that I received. There is also a two hour window between each of the four passes. "

I just registered for my Fast Pass Plus. You have 1/2 hour to PICK your attractions but the fast pass timeframe is one hour. It's like when you're buying concert tickets online, you have so many minutes to decide if you want to purchase the tickets.
    When I registered, the Electrical parade and Wishes fireworks were not available to me. It said standby available and I couldn't select it. I don't know if that means all the FP+ spots are taken or that they are just not available. We'll be using it on Sept 22nd. We'll see how it goes!

We were only able to utilize 2 of the 4 attractions due to our schedule. We didn't really like the system as you will need to scan in each pass. We were a party of 5. It's faster to just hand over your paper fast pass tickets. I also didn't like having to try to plan my day in advance and figure out which fast passes to get and at which times. Plus if you don't have your printout with you (to keep track of your fast pass attractions & times), then you will need to find a kiosk. I still prefer the paper system.

Quote Originally Posted by sfjudoka View Post
    We were only able to utilize 2 of the 4 attractions due to our schedule. We didn't really like the system as you will need to scan in each pass. We were a party of 5. It's faster to just hand over your paper fast pass tickets. I also didn't like having to try to plan my day in advance and figure out which fast passes to get and at which times. Plus if you don't have your printout with you (to keep track of your fast pass attractions & times), then you will need to find a kiosk. I still prefer the paper system.
    Were you, or anyone else in your party, still able to get normal fastpasses? If not was there a whole day's lockout of fastpasses, or did they just lock you out around the times you had already scheduled?

I just wonder if it is a success, they will turn it into a front of the line thing like Universal? I also don't like having to plan out my times for rides in advance. Kind of takes the fun out of the vacation.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I didn't like having to plan our day around the passes. Between the Fast Pass + and ADR's (which I do think pays for itself, at least in our case) the vacation seems to have lost the spontaneity that I enjoy, while on vacation. We had forgotten that we wanted to watch the Flag ceremony, at 5 PM (we had a newly returned from Afghanistan Marine with us.) & got a Fast Pass for 5-6 PM. I, too, hope they don't turn it into a "front-of-the-line" perk for a price.

We too are back from our trip - as we are AP holders, we did get regular fastpasses on those (not locked out - the FP+ were completely separate) - We ended up not using any of our FP+ times - we ended up meeting friends from across the country on the day of our test at MK, and the fastpass+ times we chose previously just did not mesh with our flow through the park that day. Fortunately, there were really no wait times the day we were there (Monday 9/24), and only got one regular FP for HM - nothing else. In terms of our spontaneity, it just did not work for us. I can tell you that they had management types at all of the FP+ entrances we encountered observing their usage.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They added the fast passes back to Haunted Mansion? Wow, I sure haven't kept up on my details reading!!

Cathy

Ummm, I was just there and I didn't see a FP setup for the HM. I'm not saying that there wasn't one - just that I didn't notice it. The queue still splits 2 ways, to see the graveyard scene or not. But I didn't see any FP setup at all.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

They're still testing out the Fastpass+ system and the machines are being designed to integrate into the surroundings as much as possible. You might not have seen it in operation on your visit if it wasn't during a test period.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FastPass Plus Trials in September

But the comment was referring to getting regular FP for Haunted Mansion - did they reinstall regular fastpasses there?

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    But the comment was referring to getting regular FP for Haunted Mansion - did they reinstall regular fastpasses there?
    No.