Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You can no longer add days to your parkhopper

You can no longer add days to your parkhopper

I just wanted to post this as some people will be trying to add extra days to the ph's for their upcoming trips.Unfortunately Disney will no longer add extra days for $5 each and you must purchase an additional parkhopper or upgrade to an AP.

2. # ADS

I am not meaning to come across as doubting you, but what is your source for this information? I know that people in the past have been told over the phone that it was not possible, only to successfully do it at the ticket booths.

I had the same question. Is this info from a phone CM or from personal experience or from reading about other's experience on other boards? It seems that there are different answers floating around regarding whether adding a day is still possible, so the source for this info matters. Maybe CMHusband will chime in with some new info??

No worries...this info comes from another board and a very long discussion about this.I have spoken with someone from the resort as well since I have a 12 day stay coming up in January.I hope that CMHusband can verify this for you as there are a few people on this board who are expecting to upgrade for their trips.

I was able to add a day to my 5 day parkhopper for $ 5 on 8/4.

2019 Trips........ Feb , April, and June

Blog Entries

I specifically asked this today. My question was "We are coming in, and I am getting my son a 5 day hopper. If he wants to come with us a day earlier, can I add a sixth day?" The person in the ticket booth said yes. I asked how much, and he got a lead. When I explained to the lead, she said without having a ticket in hand, the answer is "We don't sell 6 day tickets". She said but when you come back with the ticket, explain the situation, and a lead (and she used the word lead) can usually "make some magic".

Planning 3 trips at once...

We were refused a 6th day. The lead said they stopped having 6 day tix, but the leads were getting around it. Then, they were told not to do that, and they no longer even have the computer option. FYI...of course, YMMV.

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

Hmm, that's not good news. DH and I take our yearly vacation there and stay anywhere from 6-10 days. We always buy our tickets online...walk up to the ticket booth...and add extra days. And always, the ticket CM says you can't do that, and we always (very very politely) ask them to get a lead so they can show her how to do it. And we always get the extra days. Wow, I really hope they haven't changed that.

GnP

This is happening increasingly that even with tickets in hand be they 5 or 6 day tickets, purchased pre or post ticketing change, that people per other message boards are not having success.

I did read a report that if you are staying on site, it should be a go to upgrade from a 5 day to a 6 day, but not beyond 6 days. This is so very disappointing.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

We stayed at the Grand and could not get a 6th day. I asked for a lead at the ticket booth a couple of times and was refused. Also asked at the desk at the hotel...no luck. I really disagree w/ this policy from a DVC standpoint. The type of vacation done via timeshare units is quite different. I want the freedom to go to the park for shorter times each day over more days and actually utilize the room/kitchen/pool. The jump to a deluxe pass is not really the same thing at all

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016

I'm not understanding why Disney would do this. I can see maybe not advertising it but why deny guests extra days to spend more money in the parks? Most people will not buy an entire new ticket so they'd just cut their vacation short. I'm trying to imagine the meeting where they decided it was a good idea.
    -"We're going to implement a new policy where people can only buy 5 day tickets."
    -"What a great idea! They don't need to stay longer than that. We've made enough money and dont need them to spend more on food and souvenirs."
    -"All in favor say aye."
    -"Aye."
    -"It's unanimous. Guests can only stay 5 days."

Ya, that makes sense. (Wish I could do the eye roll icon on my phone.) The only thing I can think of is that they thought it would make people buy an AP but that's a big jump. I would say it just makes people cut their stay short.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

I'm guessing they limit it to try to keep out some of the ticket renting and sharing people, which would probably increase with longer tickets. However I don't see why at the end of a tickets use they couldn't add a day. Even if it was only one day at a time.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    I'm not understanding why Disney would do this. I can see maybe not advertising it but why deny guests extra days to spend more money in the parks? Most people will not buy an entire new ticket so they'd just cut their vacation short. I'm trying to imagine the meeting where they decided it was a good idea.
    -"We're going to implement a new policy where people can only buy 5 day tickets."
    -"What a great idea! They don't need to stay longer than that. We've made enough money and dont need them to spend more on food and souvenirs."
    -"All in favor say aye."
    -"Aye."
    -"It's unanimous. Guests can only stay 5 days."

Ya, that makes sense. (Wish I could do the eye roll icon on my phone.) The only thing I can think of is that they thought it would make people buy an AP but that's a big jump. I would say it just makes people cut their stay short.
    On another thread, other posters (not me) pointed out how much they appreciated Disney raising prices. It keeps the crowds down, these folks said, and they liked that. Of course those posters have sufficient money to get through the gates themselves (not to mention a few other highly desirable perks inside the gates as well, such as regular visits to Club 33).

In other words, Disney is doing this because they are a corporation, and like all good corporations, maximizing profit is their number one objective. Disney is doing this because they'd rather sell you a new ticket at $100 a day then issue an extension at $5 a day. It's quite simple: they make more $$$ that way. And if you cannot afford a new ticket, then, well, ... too bad, so sad.

Insert tune to "God Bless America" here.

So, if I buy a 5 Day PH ticket online, and my vacation is 7 days long, can I go up to the window at the start of my vacation and have them roll over the money I paid for the 5 day to some kind of Annual Pass?

Man this is getting complicated.
    GnP

I still really can't understand why they at least don't sell a "length of stay" park pass for Disneyland hotel guests which would expire on the day you check out to eliminate re-selling of days. That seems only fair that if you're staying at a Disneyland hotel for 7 nights, you could purchase a 7 day park pass.

John

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I still really can't understand why they at least don't sell a "length of stay" park pass for Disneyland hotel guests which would expire on the day you check out to eliminate re-selling of days. That seems only fair that if you're staying at a Disneyland hotel for 7 nights, you could purchase a 7 day park pass.
    That is just too simple, logical, and smart.

I think they need to just reinstate the longer hoppers and install scanners (biometric or fingerprint)
    GnP, yes what you pay applies towards the annual pass. Upgrade any day it is still valid, the day of a block out works well and then you get your discounts. See if you can plan next years trip to end on the first day of this years trip and you are covered for both years.

We pulled out our vacation bills from 4 and 5 years ago when things where cheaper, we go tomorrow, this policy change will save us $3,500 from trips 4 and 5 years ago, even last year and I always thought we were frugal at Disney. Back then we got AP's but with the Costco discount of $50 gift care they cost what $189 and $229 back then, not the $469 like now. We stayed in Disney hotels, but if we can not use the parks for 7 days no sense staying on property the whole week, so moving will save us $250 a night, times 3 nights. We will save on shopping since our first day was only 4 hours and was spent shopping so no more leisurely shopping since we can't go in for $5. Our last day was spent shopping, no more that will now be to ride the last minute favorites since we have only have 5 hoursand the weekends that are busier and cost more and make us spend more due to frustration of the crowds will be spent at another park, the one down the street that only cost $23 for seniors and kids and $33 for adults, much cheaper than the $170 each person Disney wants us to spend.

This stradergy worked on miracle on34th ST, but for us Disney thank you for putting $3500 into our pockets, we will within two years finally have saved enough for the trip I always wanted and because of you could not afford, but in two years will would have saved enough to go to smithsonian, and then who knows were else, the skies the limit. Disney does not want my money in the parks and wants to charge me double to stay more than 5 days, I'll take the hint and the money and go elsewhere.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014

One of the leads said that Disney can't institute the biometrics in California that they have in Florida due to state laws. Don't know if that is true or not, but it's certainly possible. The solution of only 5 day tickets or jump to annual pass makes absolutely no sense for out-of-town visitors. It just send the $$$ to another company or activity. We would also use the extra days as shopping days. Especially if we had a partial arrival day and a partial departure day, which was quite common for us. Not going to buy a $100 ticket for a partial day, we will do something else. I realize there are fraud issues, but this is not a good solution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    This makes absolute sense, adn would probably be allowed if you went to the concierge at the hotel. Problem really is for those who want to stay longer, yet cannot afford the DLR hotels. There should be a way to buy them there. My thoughts are simply all tickets longer than 2 days must have a name on them, and you show ID at the gate (if in fact biometrics are not allowed.)

The issue regarding ticket rentals is HUGE. There isn't a trip (and sometimes each day of a visit) where I don't see someone getting tickets confiscated because they are rentals. I don't blame Disney.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Ah, but Universal already uses fingerprint scanners and have for a few years. Started with the annual passes, and now they use them for any ticket good for more than one day.

Sea World in San Diego uses finger scanners as well.

Thx Katiesue. I haven't been to Seaworld since I was 11ish. Which would have been about 30 years ago.
    A's finger was too small the first couple of years we had the passes (They had a couple of years that were buy a day get the rest of the year free), they used G's, since she was entering with her sister. We always told G we'd have to "borrow" her finger if she didn't come with us.

Had to update, would like others to try and see what you may get. Our first and last days were and are always half days. Anyway this could be that it was 9/11 and we have disabilities or maybe because they are trying to get around the policy. Anyway we showed up at the ticket window about 4:05 today 9/11 and asked if we could upgrade to a 6 or 7 day pass. They of course said no. So disappointed we got our 5 day passes for tomorrow and was asking about the military pass when the lady said, hold on let me talk to my lead. She left and came back a minute later with the lead who gave all 5 of us a complimentary after 4 ticket to go in today. The ticket said right on it complimentary after 4 pm. Now I will say, one in the party was military, with a cane, two knee replacements and hearing aids, with a 100% disabled military card, buying a military ticket, and it was 9/11. I have a guide dog and legally blind, and our daughter has CP, although I would not play our disabilities to get extra privileges, I will admit that due to it being 9/11 and him being disabled may have soften someone's heart, or they may be working on a way to get around the 5 day only pass.

Either way, we were very happy and very pleased, we are still debating how to work our last day,that will be partial day also. We won't ask for another pass, because we won't push it, but I would be interested in if others have any luck with this. We did not ask for it, we only asked to upgrade to a 6 or 7 day pass, I never knew they gave out after 4 complimentary tickets so I would not have known to ask, but it was very happy and magical surprise.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014

That's great that you got in today. I think you should try going on the last day to see if you can add one more day. Since some are saying its because they don't want them sold aftermarket, if you are just adding one day after you used all the others they would know you weren't selling them. Interesting to know if that would work.