Thread: Disney Cruise Line alters 2013 sailings from Galveston

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    Blog Entries

Disney Cruise Line alters 2013 sailings from Galveston

Mary Kraemer from MousePlanet sponsor MouseEar Vacations just sent us an update about Disney Cruise Line's plans for the 2013 Galveston sailings onboard the Disney Magic. Disney is converting three of the planned 8-night cruises into six 4-night cruises, and adding stops at Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral to some of the remaining 8-night cruises to satisfy customer demand.

New 4-night cruises:

The 8-night cruises previously scheduled to depart 2/1/13; 3/15/13 and 4/12/13 have been canceled. Instead, Disney will offer 4-night cruises to Cozumel departing 2/1/13; 2/5/13; 3/15/13 3/19/13; 4/12/13 and 4/16/13.

Disney has not yet released the itinerary for these 4-night cruises. Passengers who already booked one of the affected sailings will be contacted and offered the opportunity to re-book a different cruise, or cancel the trip entirely.

New ports for 8-night cruises:

Disney is also modifying the 8-night cruises scheduled to depart on 1/18/13; 2/15/13; 3/1/13; 3/29/13; 4/26/13 and 5/10/13 to replace the Grand Cayman and Costa Maya stops with a day at Disney's private island Castaway Cay, and a day at Port Canaveral, Florida. Passengers will receive transportation to Walt Disney World and a one-day park-hopper ticket. Disney says this change is due to customer demand.

New itinerary:

o Friday Galveston
    o Saturday Day At Sea
    o Sunday Day At Sea
    o Monday Disneys Castaway Cay
    o Tuesday Port Canaveral, Florida
    o Wednesday Day At Sea
    o Thursday Key West, Florida
    o Friday Day At Sea
    o Saturday Galveston

Original itinerary:

o Friday Galveston
    o Saturday Day At Sea
    o Sunday Key West, Florida
    o Monday At Sea
    o Tuesday Grand Cayman
    o Wednesday Costa Maya
    o Thursday Cozumel
    o Friday Day At Sea
    o Saturday Galveston

Passengers who already booked one of the affected sailings will be contacted and offered the opportunity to re-book a different cruise, or cancel the trip entirely.

New bookings for these modified cruises opens Sept. 5, 2012. The Disney Cruise Line website has not yet been updated to reflect the new cruises.

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers!
    MousePad Subscriber
    MousePad Community Leader
    Blog Entries

Looks like they replaced Grand Cayman, Costa Maya AND Cozumel with Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral/WDW. This does look more appealing to me (though considering I go to WDW often enough, I'd probably do the space center instead of a single day at WDW) - though I'd like if if they could still stop at Grand Cayman.

Are the one-day park hoppers able to be upgraded, or are they considered 'promotional' (or is going to WDW a regular excursion that you're paying for anyway)?

This is really tempting to me (I can get flights to Houston fairly cheap on SW - plus then I'm on the right side of Houston to go to Galveston easier) - but I am trying to save up for a huge birthday trip in a few years....

Cathy

It is a temping itinerary, and it was a popular choice for Magic sailings from New York this summer.

The park hopper is part of the cruise package for the day in Port Canaveral, as are transfers to WDW and back. It is not a refundable item if you have an AP or don't go to WDW that day.

MaryK@CruisingCo.com

Does this change also show that people are still nervous about Mexico as a destination? The fear's totally unfounded as far as the Caribbean ports are concerned, but it's interesting that Disney would change the itineraries with so little notice.

Kudos for Disney for adding shorter cruises from Galveston. I wish they'd done the same when the Wonder was based out of Los Angles - maybe there'd have been enough demand that they'd still be there...