Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Character Dining Vouchers

Character Dining Vouchers

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy character dining vouchers (not the meal plan) through Get Away Today for our upcoming trip in December. The vouchers cost $33 and include tax and gratuity. The two character breakfasts we would like to enjoy this trip are Storyteller's and Plaza Inn. I know I don't want vouchers for Storyteller's because I want to order off of the menu rather than get the buffet but I'm trying to figure out if the vouchers would be cost effective for the Plaza Inn. I'm having a hard time finding the price of the Plaza Inn breakfast in December. I found something that makes me think it is $27.99 per adult but that makes it cheaper than the voucher which doesn't make sense. What am I missing?

2. # ADS

Last time I checked it seemed that the Getaway today dining vouchers were really only a deal when Disney had their inflated summer/peak season pricing. Even then, I think our AP discount was better than the voucher. If the regular price is $28, it would get to about $36 after tax and 18% gratuity.

Plaza Inn is a bit cheaper than the character meals outside the park, maybe because you don't need a park ticket to go to the hotel breakfasts. We just did Surf's Up with Mickey and Friends and that is $30pp right now or almost $38 after tax/gratuity. So $33 is a little bit of a savings unless that is taken away in shipping/handling fees.

It's probably not worth it to you if you plan on ordering off the menu at Storyteller's. I looked into the vouchers, during summer prices even, and found that it wasn't worth it for the Plaza Inn. We did get an AP discount, so that lowered the price a little. You could call dining and ask what the price is for Plaza Inn during your stay with tax. Then decide the percent you'd leave as a tip, and figure out if it adds up to more or less than the $33.

I had ordered vouchers from getaway today to use at Plaza inn. Then i found the price was $28 peak (aug.) and called and canceled them. Plaza inn is an all you care to eat buffet and is all self service, no tip required (unless of course someone goes above and beyond)

2019 Trips........ Feb , April, and June

Quote Originally Posted by jacandjan View Post
    I had ordered vouchers from getaway today to use at Plaza inn. Then i found the price was $28 peak (aug.) and called and canceled them. Plaza inn is an all you care to eat buffet and is all self service, no tip required (unless of course someone goes above and beyond)
    There was a thread a while back about tipping. The general consensus was you are still supposed to tip at a buffet because there are busboys, etc. that clear the tables and possibly take drink orders. However, at Plaza Inn you do have to get your own drinks too. I'm not telling anyone they have to tip. Just remember that these CM get taxed on tips whether or not you give them.

The point here is that the Getawaytoday price includes taxes and tips and where it can be a good deal at some locations it is not at Plaza inn character breakfast.

2019 Trips........ Feb , April, and June