Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: What's your gear? The thread for running/racing gear

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    Glycerin 12s--how I wanted to love you. My whole W&D costume was built around your purple and blues. However, your wider midsole makes my feet feel "clunky." I keep trying to love you, but you give me nothing in return. +1 to the return.
    Glycerins are super fancy, too. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

I recently bought a pair of Brooks Ghosts... for two years I was primarily wearing Brooks Adrenalines, but I'm a *supinator* and not a pronator... and my gait changed after my weight loss... and when I got tired, the heels on my Adrenalines would start clipping the back of my calf every so often, meaning the shoes weren't really working for me. So I've switched to Ghosts, which are neutral shoes. So far so good, but so far I've only ran 3 miles in them and walked in them all day at the county fair yesterday. They feel great, so I'm hoping I've found shoes that work.

Brooks doesn't make Ghosts in as many different colors as they do Adrenalines, but I can live with that.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post

I recently bought a pair of Brooks Ghosts...
    When I can't find anymore 11s, I've thought about trying the Ghosts. My Defyance's were good to me, but from what I understand the good-better-best line in brooks neutrals are Defyance-Ghosts-Glycerines. Sales clerks keep telling me I won't love the Defyance. Sometimes I wonder if it is the $50 price tag difference that they are focused upon.

Good to know you like your ghosts. I think I may try a pair.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two of the new tanks that I bought from Old Navy are getting the thumbs up, as are the running shorts that I bought from them. This is the first time I've ever purchased tech gear from Old Navy and my hopes weren't very hight. I just needed some tanks for the summer heat and for hot yoga. Also, I've never worn a pair of traditional running shorts, only compression shorts or capris or a lululemon pacesetter skirt. I bought these to try them out. I'm in love. Seriously. I didn't even know they were there. I was worried that the "looseness" of the shorts would bother me, or rub my inner thigh and I was worried that the liner would be irritating. Neither of which happened. I LOVE them. I want more.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like Raw Threads has new Star Wars-themed items.

Love the 'in a corral far, far away...'

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Looks like Raw Threads has new Star Wars-themed items.

Love the 'in a corral far, far away...'
    I'm trying to decide which one I want.....decisions, decisions....

Blog Entries

They're cute, but none of them really knocked my socks off. DH will be happy with that.

Oh I love that one too! hmmmmmmm

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    When I can't find anymore 11s, I've thought about trying the Ghosts. My Defyance's were good to me, but from what I understand the good-better-best line in brooks neutrals are Defyance-Ghosts-Glycerines. Sales clerks keep telling me I won't love the Defyance. Sometimes I wonder if it is the $50 price tag difference that they are focused upon.

Good to know you like your ghosts. I think I may try a pair.
    Interesting ranking there! The Defyance is essentially identical to the Adrenalines, except for the neutral last. That means the shoes will last a while. Ghosts tend to wear faster according to customer reviews, but they typically make them in more colors (whereas the Defyance only comes in one), and the deal is to get the older model on sale when the new model comes out... which is just about now.

Glycerins are like super fancy Porsches -- with a high price tag! I just can't get myself to spend $150 on a single pair of shoes. Oh, I will spend $150 on shoes. Just not on one pair. lol
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Glycerins are like super fancy Porsches -- with a high price tag! I just can't get myself to spend $150 on a single pair of shoes. Oh, I will spend $150 on shoes. Just not on one pair. lol
    You can find some 11s online for $99...

Put a few miles on my new Asics Gel Cumulus this morning. I tried on TONS of other shoes before deciding on those, but I keep going back to Asics. These are my third. So far so good!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Put a few miles on my new Asics Gel Cumulus this morning. I tried on TONS of other shoes before deciding on those, but I keep going back to Asics. These are my third. So far so good!
    Those used to be my shoe before I got PF. They're lovely and so feel like you're walking in marshmallows.

Woohoo! I bought Guide 5s online and they fit just like my old shoes!!! The only difference? They still have cushioning. I put my new shoe and old shoe on and my old shoe feels like the new one but like a tractor ran it over. It's very flat. I didn't realize I wore on my shoes so badly. Eek!

My old ones have stretched a lot too... I guess I'll have to wear these ones down.

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    Woohoo! I bought Guide 5s online and they fit just like my old shoes!!! The only difference? They still have cushioning. I put my new shoe and old shoe on and my old shoe feels like the new one but like a tractor ran it over. It's very flat. I didn't realize I wore on my shoes so badly. Eek!

My old ones have stretched a lot too... I guess I'll have to wear these ones down.
    I'm so glad you found them!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    Great to hear! Did you keep track of how many miles you had on your old shoes? That can be helpful for trying to figure out when you'll need new ones again. (And they say running is cheaper than therapy )
    Cathy

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Running gear on a budget

If you want to equip yourself with a lot of gadgets for running but you don't want to spend $30 on a roller, $15 on a trigger point massage ball, $15 for a yoga strap, etc., I have some great budget alternatives for you.

- Instead of spending $42 for a fancy foam roller, go to your local hardware store, like Home Depot, and buy yourself a pre-cut drain pipe. They come in different diameters; the 4" diameter one is about the same size as a foam roller, and you should be able to find one two feet long for about $10. I actually bought a "Drain Pipe Coupling Styrene" that's about 4.5 inches long, for a bargain price of $1.24 that is small enough for me to keep in my gym bag. It's long enough that I can use it to roll under my calves, and small enough that I can roll it along my quads. It isn't coated with foam but works really well.

- Instead of spending $20 for a trigger point ball, use a tennis ball or a lacrosse ball! Tennis balls are much cheaper and easier to find than lacrosse balls. You might prefer one over the other, but typically, you can buy tennis balls for a buck a piece (go to Walmart or Target, or ask around if your apartment complex or gym has tennis courts), while lacrosse balls are a little more specialized; most box stores won't carry them. You can buy them at sporting goods shops for around $3.00. Tennis balls are softer and bigger; if you want something firmer, go for the lacrosse balls.

- Instead of spending $40 for The Stick or other rolling sticks, consider using a rolling pin! Yes, the kind you use to flatten pie crusts! If you'd rather not use the one you use to bake with, buy yourself a cheap version at the local supermarket. You might even luck out and find a reasonably good one at your local dollar store! I found a cheap plastic/rubber one in neon green at the local dollar store. As a rolling pin, it's not very good -- but for massaging my muscles, it works great! And it's only about 8 inches long, so it's easy for me to pack in my gym bag.

Even if you bought the fancy expensive stuff, consider getting these cheaper items for use for when you travel, or if you want to have these post-race items available in your gear-check bag at the race.

Also:

- Instead of expensive gel packs you keep in the freezer for icing your legs, use a bag of frozen peas. Reusable and the peas will conform around your ankles/knees.

- Consider freezing a water bottle, and using it to roll under your feet. Good foot massage, and it'll cool down whatever inflammation you have.

Blog Entries
    ...consider using a rolling pin! Yes, the kind you use to flatten pie crusts!...
    You had me until this line? flatten pie crusts? What do those words mean Don't you just add the butter and sugar to the graham cracker crumbs and press it into the bottom of the pan???

Can you do something with pipe insulation and a pvc pipe to make a foam coated roller?
    Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or if you're a true die-hard runDisney fan, you can use the official Wine & Dine Relay Baton Rolling Pin!

Wine & Dine Rolling Pin.JPG

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Or if you're a true die-hard runDisney fan, you can use the official Wine & Dine Relay Baton Rolling Pin!

Wine & Dine Rolling Pin.JPG
    Oh hahahaha! That's funny.

Cathy -- I don't bake pies so I don't know anything about how to actually use rolling pins. lol Well, except to massage my calves.

Blog Entries

A tangent in another thread had me looking up this URL, so I thought I'd share it here, too. I haven't tried it, but for someone looking for a minimalistic handheld bottle holder. I think the concept is pretty good. Www.bottleband.net.

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Dear Shot Bloks,

For many years now, you've gotten me through my half marathons. I like that I can eat you one at a time or two at a time and not have to take an entire pile of calories in one swallow or deal with the texture issues that gels and such have. Plus, I love my Luna bars so I felt a bit of loyalty to the Clif brand. I'm big on loyalty. (Although, let's face it, Clif, I miss the Moons. You dropped a ball there...)

But this weekend, Doc gave me a Lemon Gu Chomper and I'm thinking my endurance activities may never be the same.

The texture - they're so much softer and easier to chew.

The taste - I love lemon and this lemon was yummy. Not too sweet, not too sour.

The soothing to my tummy - It just felt so right. I may have asked Doc for one or two more... Maybe.

So toodle-ooo, Shot Bloks. I think I'm going to start dating the Gu Chompers for a bit because I just feel like I found a better fit.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Mrs. K

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Coincidentally, I tried those this weekend too. I liked them, but have no frame of reference for comparison having not tried any of the other energy on the go goo-gaws.

I liked them, they reminded me of gummy bears with a better texture and less sweetness.

I really really like the chocolate brownie Clif bar, I take them with me on business trips as travel snacks since I'm really picky about what I eat.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

I use Gu, since I found early on I'm not a fan of chewing while I'm running. I have a few flavors I don't mind, but I recently found one that I actually enjoy and look forward to on a long run: Salted Caramel! Kevin doesn't like it, so I have a big box all for myself.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Since Doc has braces, he can't use Shot Bloks for a while. He's been using Gu but all the Gus have caffiene in them? Or at least the ones he tolerates have caffiene in them. He bought the Chompers, (breaking the Orthodontist's rules,) to try to give himself a break from the caffiene in the Gu.

I will say this: I don't even mind him eating the Chompers as much as I would mind the Shot Bloks because they're not as chewy and sticky as the Shot Bloks.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Since Doc has braces, he can't use Shot Bloks for a while. He's been using Gu but all the Gus have caffiene in them?
    Not all the Gu has caffeine. Off the top of my head, I know vanilla, root beer, and strawberry banana don't. Has he tried other brands?

Cytomax makes gummy things too. I like them.

Honey Stinger's Fruit Punch chews get high marks in my book. Not too sweet, super texture and easy on the tummy. Warning--if you pick up a running bag you haven't used in many months, find an open package and decide to pop a few in as you run, you may "bite off more than you can chew."