Travel dates: Sept 6 - 9, 2012
Travel method: Air - Jet Blue, DME
Resort: Bay Lake Towers (BLT)
Accommodations: Studio, Lake View
Ages Represented in Group: early 50s
Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: ~14 trips to WDW
Comments: This short trip is for my wife to experience the Night of Joy a hard ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom featuring Christian music bands
Cast of characters: Me Michael, & my wife Kelli
We planned a trip for the Food and Wine Festival later this year and in working the DVC (Disney Vacation Club) points figured we could do a weekend elsewhere. I considered September since the crowds can be nearly non-existent and I figured we might be able to get into Bay Lake Towers; then noticed this thing called The Night of Joy (NoJ) Its a hard ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom featuring Christian music on three different stages. The Magic Kingdom will close at 7 PM to regular guests, but will let the NoJ ticket holders in starting at 4PM.
Im not into Christian music (Im a classic rock kind of guy or rock from any decade that the Rolling Stones have played in ). I asked my wife about it and she actually knew of some of the bands - ???? (the things I dont know about her!). So I figured Id plan this trip for her. Im sure some of the rock nature of some of the bands will appeal to me.
I did a lot of research on this thanks to MousePad and other boards and figured out Bay Lake Towers would be the perfect resort for this. You can walk to the Magic Kingdom from here and wed be able to avoid the hoards of church groups streaming to the area from 4-7 PM.
I do know what to expect at NoJ and Ill see if my research is right:
- The park will be empty early that day until 4PM when the NoJ people start streaming in.
- The roads, ferry and monorails will be swamped heading in from 4-7 PM hence the reason its great to be staying at BLT.
- The Magic Kingdom will be packed from 4- 7 PM with long rides for the attractions
- We will be the oldest people there that night!
- There are no Fireworks or nighttime parade just the bands and a few rides open.
- the crowd its interesting to see the VERY different views on how well behaved or NOT the crowd is. Im a New Yorker wont bother me either way. But Ill give you my honest opinion afterwards.
- it will be like any other non-assigned seating concert (except that you stand) if you want to be close to the stage and be elbow to elbow with other people (mainly smelly teenagers ), get to the stage early and wait. My wife wants to be able to see the stage but not squeezed like sardines up close.
Besides the NoJ we are looking forward to staying at Bay Lake Towers, we hope for a high floor to enjoy the balcony, from relaxing breakfasts and nightcaps - to observing cool thunderstorms passing by (we hope). We also hope to hit the Top of the World lounge as well.
We will avoid the MK from 4-7 and have dinner early evening at the California Grill and The Wave (new restaurant for us). We also have Boma scheduled for the day we arrive.
Since this is a short trip we look forward to doing traveling with only carry-ons and using DME. We only expect to hit a park or two ( OK or three), and mainly Kellis favorite attractions.