Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your race calendar look like?

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar

What's your race calendar look like?

Here is mine.

Elvis Presley 5k August 11th

Chick Fil A 5k September 3rd

ING New York City Marathon November 4th

Turkey Trot 4 miler November 22nd

St. Jude Memphis Half Marathon December 1st

Goofy Challenge + 5k January 11th-13th

Last edited by Andrew; 07-21-2012 at 10:08 PM.

2. # ADS

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar
    Garin Run in the Park 10K - Aug 11
    Disneyland Half - Sept 2
    NorCal Warrior Dash - Oct 27
    WDW Wine & Dine Half - Nov 10

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All I have planned is the WDW Wine & Dine Half on November 10

I may try to find a local/semilocal 5 or 10K between then and now. (I did do a 5K on the 4th of July in Ridgefield, WA)

Considering the Mardi Gras Half next year, but I don't have to make that decision for a while yet.

Cathy

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to register for the Wine & Dine half and/or the 20th Anniversary WDW half. I'm REALLY nervous about the W&D course, after reading reports from past years about it being really dimly lit in places. I have a really weak, prone-to-sprains-and-breaks ankle AND my night vision is miserable, so I'm anxious about being sent through an area with potentially uneven terrain where I can't really see well.

And training for the January WDW races during the holiday season has proven to be extremely difficult for this retail store owner, but so many of my friends are doing one or more of the 20th anniversary races and I want to be there with them. Decisions, decisions.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries

Obviously, you need to decide soon since last I checked W&D was at 95%. Or just wait and the decision will be made for you. I'm seriously going to try a couple of night walks with my baseball cap that has LEDs in the edge of the bill - to see if it helps with the vision. Good luck making a decision -- you know how the terrain is within Animal Kingdom, and I'm guessing that may be the worst part. Only you can judge if it's doable to attempt to train during Nov/Dec. (I've had to let go of the dream of training hard during August.)

Cathy

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2012 DL Half
    2013 Tink
    I'm trying to fit a couple of 10k's or possibly a half in between the two.
    Hoping to complete 2013 W&D for my second C2C.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

I'll be running in the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis this December. First time...anyone run it before? Any helpful tips?

September 29, 2012 - Tower of Terror 10 Miler
    October 20, 2012 - Great Pumpkin Challenge (Saratoga Springs, NY) 10K
    January 2013 - Goofy Challenge
    February 2013 - Princess Half Marathon

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

January 2013 Tink.

Doc is doing:
    January 2013 Donald Half
    January 2013 Tink/Coast to Coast

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

September 2- DL Half
    October 14- Nike Women's Half in San Francisco
    October 20- Zombie 5k in Temecula
    November 3- Color Run 5k in San Diego
    January- Tink Half

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Blog Entries

Those color runs look like they're fun!

They really are! I did the one in Irvine a few months ago and had absolutely the best time with my friends doing it. We're all excited to go for round two!

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnyderD View Post
    I'll be running in the St. Jude Marathon in Memphis this December. First time...anyone run it before? Any helpful tips?
    I've never ran the full marathon, but I have done the half. Its a great race for a even greater cause. If you can run through the St. Jude campus ,with all the kids holding up thank you signs and people holding up pictures of kids and not cry, you may not be human. The weather is usually really good. Course support is really good. Post race is awesome. You finish by running through the outfield at Autozone Park, where the Triple A Memphis Redbirds play. Its one of, if not the nicest minor league ball park in the nation. You can use the showers in the club house if you want. The only bad part of the race, is that they don't close all the streets completely, so sometimes your running on a little bit of sloap in the road. Check out the reviews at www.marathonguide.com.
    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipmunkStar View Post
    September 2- DL Half
    October 14- Nike Women's Half in San Francisco
    October 20- Zombie 5k in Temecula
    November 3- Color Run 5k in San Diego
    January- Tink Half
    Hubby wanted to do the Zombie since it's so close to home. Me, not so much. I'd die of a heart attack before I ever hit top speed!

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RunninDisney View Post
    I've never ran the full marathon, but I have done the half. Its a great race for a even greater cause. If you can run through the St. Jude campus ,with all the kids holding up thank you signs and people holding up pictures of kids and not cry, you may not be human.
    I started to cry just reading your description!

My schedule so far:
    8/4- Howlin' At The Moon 5K (supports local K9 officers) I was going to do the 10K, but my knee may pull me back to the 5K since it's a trail run
    9/2- Disneyland Half
    10/21- River Run Half
    1/2012- Tinker Bell Half

SF Giants 10k- Sept 16 (first race!)

Looking at maybe doing the 80s race in SF in November, and hoping for my first half next year.

Blog Entries

Are you following a training plan 3P1P for your 10K? I highly recommend at least reviewing a couple to make sure you're not going out too hard on the miles at first, or too slow or too infrequently. You can google 10K training plan and get some decent options. Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, John Bingham all have pretty tried-and-true training plans for 'beginning' runners. I went so far as to make myself a wall calendar that I can add sticky notes if I do or don't do the workouts, and room for what the plan says and then what I actually did. I need that visual accountability because I"ve tried doing 1/2 marathons with just doing long runs and trust me, it doesn't work well, you really need the mileage in the middle of the week as well to get to the right conditioning point for a race to not 'die' at the end.

Cathy

I'm following Jeff Galloway, thanks to my MP friends. I really need to make something visual for my training. It's too easy to "just run tomorrow", and I need some accountability. DH isn't all that good at encouraging or motivating me.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Disneyland Half - Sept 2
    WDW Half - Jan 12

I am officially out of my mind.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Force is strong in this one

Aug 4, Bay to Baypointe swim
    Aug 11, Dairlyland Dare century bike ride.
    Aug 18, Madison Mini Marathon
    Sept 2, Disneyland Half Marathon
    Sept 9, Ironman Wisconsin

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

I would like to start training for the Tink in Jan. and maybe the P.F. Chang Rock 'n' Roll marathon in Jan as well.
    There is a Phoenix Hot Chocolate 5/15K in December.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Blog Entries

How many miles are you doing per week now, ChurroGirl? Doing two halves in the same month (assuming you're doing PFChangs half and not full) is really tough if they're your first distance events.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Disneyland Half - Sept 2
    WDW Half - Jan 12

I am officially out of my mind.

AVP
    Maybe out of your mind, but your body is going to be in rockin' shape!

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    How many miles are you doing per week now, ChurroGirl? Doing two halves in the same month (assuming you're doing PFChangs half and not full) is really tough if they're your first distance events.
    I can testify to this. I did my first two half marathons in the same month, three weeks apart from one another. It was rough. I don't think my body had fully recovered from the WDW when I did the Tink. I finished, but about 10 minutes slower and my hips were much worse for the wear afterwards. I'm not sure I would recommend this again.

I'm considering the Silver Strand Half Marathon in November on Coronado. I know, it would be crazy, 6 half marathons in one year, but it's a flat course and it would keep me in the groove between DL and Tink.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post

Holy Cow, I haven't even started training! I will not pretend like I know what I am talking about when it comes to running. But I am going to start.
    I am trying to figure out where to start as a matter of fact. Most likely we will do one or the other, Tink or P.F. Chang's. NOT BOTH! And we plan on starting small with a few local 5k's or something.

I am not a runner, but I'd like to be.
    "That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Blog Entries

Whew!
    As far as where to start - Jeff Galloway, John Bingham, and Hal Higdon all have (I think) books and (for sure) websites that talk about building up and training for endurance events. That's where I'd start.

Cathy